Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Aug 2003, 10:17 (Ref:680336)   #26
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Check this quote from Frank, in a feature about williams team orders on F1Live:

"The stewards decided Ralf had not paid due attention to the cars on his left and we fully respect the authority of the FIA, and acknowledge their responsibility to protect the safety of those involved in the sport. However, we are using the appeal process provided for by the FIA to clarify all of the circumstances surrounding the incident, and the suitability of the penalty imposed."

Not quite fighting his corner as vigorously as you might expect...
Old 5 Aug 2003, 10:42 (Ref:680352)   #27
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Possibly. But it's also a sensible attempt to find common ground - "Ok, Ralf accepts that he was maybe less aware than he should have been, and we fully respect the stewards' position in terms of safety, but isn't the penalty rather harsh?"

Head knows they can't claim total innocence, so they're concentrating on trying to reduce the penalty.

Back to topic - will/should Williams apply team orders?

Under a completely misleading headline (no change there then ), this is on BBC Online...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/3124303.stm
Old 5 Aug 2003, 10:46 (Ref:680355)   #28
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No - Head was much more emphatic:

"I do not consider that Ralf caused an avoidable collision," said Head.

This is on topic - in this climate they have to find stealthy ways to effect team orders.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 11:13 (Ref:680382)   #29
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sorry, misread your quote - thought that was Head, not Frank!

Ok, it's kind of on topic. Though I'm not sure how Williams intend to effect team orders will have any bearing on their approach to Ralf's appeal.

Head's quote on BBC Online seems plain enough to me - their strategy has not changed. Both drivers are told to go out there and race without taking each other off. Only when one driver is mathematically out of the WDC will he be asked to "assist" the other. And even after Germany, we still can't be sure which one it will be. If they're both in with a shout in the last race, the same will apply - Williams will give them both the best possible chance of winning it, until such a point in the race that only one of them can.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 12:42 (Ref:680451)   #30
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's exactly Williams style ! I don't believe they will change this, if they did not in the past.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 13:04 (Ref:680465)   #31
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
...Not quite fighting his corner as vigorously as you might expect...
Or not shouting about it. Going at it all guns is not going to get you anywhere with the FIA. It is what happens with the Lawyers in Paris that matters not the quotes.

Teams and drivers have a tradition of losing appeals of this nature, softly, softly is the best approach. The penalty could be made worse. they wouldn't want ralf to end up with a race ban (although i think this unlikely).

Last edited by Adam43; 5 Aug 2003 at 13:06.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 13:06 (Ref:680467)   #32
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
Under a completely misleading headline (no change there then ), this is on BBC Online...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/3124303.stm
Yes that beeb article couldn't really say any less! Absolutely no substance in that.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 13:11 (Ref:680473)   #33
spearce
Racer

spearce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A while ago, wasn't Patrese asked to wave 'our Nige' through, and didn't he get a little upset about it .......
Old 5 Aug 2003, 13:25 (Ref:680488)   #34
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Seem to remember Ricardo got upset about all sorts of things...

But it's plain that Williams (or McLaren, or even Ferrari) are going to have to be a little more 'stealthy', as Glen put it. Which means... well... all sorts of things, depending how you interpret the FIA's ruling. Which is precisely why it's a poorly thought out rule. If, for example, Ralf is ahead of JPM halfway through a race, but for whatever reason (strategy, ability) is slower than JPM, is it ok for Ralf to let JPM through so he can go on to possibly win the race and the championship?! Where does recognising different race strategies stop and 'team orders' begin?

As I've said, this will be hypothetical until one of the drivers is mathematically out of it. And then, we can start a whole new thread(s!) on exactly what Head means by "assist" and whether or not it's legal...

Last edited by garcon; 5 Aug 2003 at 13:26.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 13:27 (Ref:680492)   #35
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
And then, we can start a whole new thread(s!) on exactly what Head means by "assist" and whether or not it's legal...
something to look forward to...
Old 5 Aug 2003, 13:29 (Ref:680495)   #36
spearce
Racer

spearce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1) Slow pit stop or additional stop
2) Minor off (I was trying too hard and put a wheel over the edge)
3) Brake fade (a la Eddie Irvine)
4) Fuel pick up problem, even weave side to side to show for cameras

I'm sure there are lots of others too
Old 5 Aug 2003, 13:32 (Ref:680496)   #37
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, but he already said that he didn't pay attention to the others...
Old 5 Aug 2003, 14:18 (Ref:680526)   #38
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Old 5 Aug 2003, 14:19 (Ref:680528)   #39
ElScOrChO
Racer

ElScOrChO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW could put their engine down to 14000 rpm when needed
during the race without telling the driver.

And when Monty is passed by, just bring it back to 19000!
Old 5 Aug 2003, 14:30 (Ref:680538)   #40
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Welcome Scorchy One...

Don't think Ralf ever takes it past 14k anyway does he?!
Old 5 Aug 2003, 14:46 (Ref:680549)   #41
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Isn't two way telemetry banned? I forget (they kept changing htere minds about such things!). In which case they would have to ask the driver to flick a switch or move a dial to reduce the limiter (????).

I think Montoya was (slightly) unsure about it because there isn't an obvious reason behind it.
Old 6 Aug 2003, 07:10 (Ref:681005)   #42
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd love to be at the Schumacher family residence watching Suzuka when Ralf is holding up Michael and letting JPM romp away.......
Old 6 Aug 2003, 11:00 (Ref:681141)   #43
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Hey everybody, I have an apology to make

There have been times when I've thought some of you lot knew nothing about the intricacies of F1.

Then I found this on BBC...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ay/2755339.stm

I only read half the comments - any further and I'd have chucked me laptop out the window

So, I'm sorry everyone here at 10Tenths if I've ever suggested anything to the contrary - you're all absolute experts in my book...
Old 6 Aug 2003, 12:53 (Ref:681231)   #44
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems that the use (?) of team orders may extend beyond the top three teams which are still in the fight for one or both championships.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns11613.html

Much as I like Trulli and would like to see him have a good result, I don't think the team should interfere in this sort of situation.