Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Aug 2003, 23:12 (Ref:680022)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could the tyre war ruin the title showdown if it goes to Japan?

Montoya's on Michelins and Michael is on Bridgestones. If they are both evenly matched, we should hopefully see a good fight for victory and the title between these two, if Montoya keeps up his current form.

But what if we see Michelin or Bridgestone have a significant advantage over the other? The only excitement in that case will be "Will Montoya/Michael DNF ala Suzuka 1999?" And I don't think that makes for an exciting title decider. What do you think?

Last edited by Yoong Montoya; 4 Aug 2003 at 23:14.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 23:21 (Ref:680027)   #2
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you mean Suzuka 1998?
Old 4 Aug 2003, 23:38 (Ref:680037)   #3
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bridgestone will be desparate to put on a good showing at their home race but Japan can get very hot and the track has long fast corners!
The variation in Bridgestone and Michelin tyre performance COULD ruin the showdown, but it is also partly responsible for creating it.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 07:33 (Ref:680213)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well a car advantage is always a posibility (even if on the same tyres). I suppose, yes, but that is the nature of (this) competition.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 07:40 (Ref:680221)   #5
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How long will Bridgestone stay in F1? They have always been building tyres around one type of car (The TWR Arrows/Ligier in 97, McLaren in 98/99, Ferrari since. As a result McLaren and Jaguar moved to Michelin. (Along with an increased chunk of Merc and Ford OE fitments!)

If Ferrari begin to fade in years to come, Bridgestone's only other hope is BAR (and Honda are important to Bridgestone) - but is this really worth $100M per year development and support. I think F1 will be sole supplier again by 2005.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 07:47 (Ref:680228)   #6
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I suppose this depends on your view of the tyre war in general. You could say that it adds an extra variable, is part of the sport, and creates the potential for teams to turn round their performances very quickly. The attributes of the tyres have also increased overtaking (note: though further help required). On the other hand, you could argue that it's too important, can destroy a team/driver's good work and prevents us from seeing which drivers and teams are doing the best job.

Generally, I fall onto the latter side of the argument, but I can't blame the tyre companies for a) wanting to compete and b) doing the best job they can. I don't think it will ruin the title fight (it has helped to create it - Ferrari would be further ahead otherwise), but it will definitely influence it.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 10:42 (Ref:680353)   #7
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm afraid that this argument is all part & parcel of the tyre war, different tracks suit different tyres & if that decides the WDC than so be it.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 10:50 (Ref:680359)   #8
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The tyre war is part and parcel of the title showdown - so it can't spoil it, because it is the cause of it, to a degree.

The beauty of it is that the final race should be quite even, on paper at least, between the two tyres - so it will come down much more to mental strength and pure racing. Love it.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 10:55 (Ref:680364)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
No more than the dominance of the Ferrari/Schumacher combination has ruined the championship race in the past two years. Remember there was no showdown at Suzuka last year. I suppose if you really wanted an exciting showdown, we could put weight penalties to the leaders of the championship right now, as Max suggested, but that would be just plain stupid. I guess we just have to put it down to Joss, as James Clavell keeps telling us.

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 5 Aug 2003 at 10:57.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 10:57 (Ref:680368)   #10
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To who?
Old 5 Aug 2003, 11:07 (Ref:680376)   #11
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do think that tyre wars have given us some of the most interesting races in history. Sure, it is a variable that makes it difficult to compare drivers, but one could argue the same about engines and chassis.

But I think back to events such as Trulli leading Austria 97 in a Prost and Hill leading in an Arrows - this was a result of Bridgestone getting it right on the day, but Schumacher and Fiscichellas dominance of Spa 97 and the Jordan's Dominance of Spa 98 was assisted by Goodyear's wet weather superiority. Berger winning at Mexico in 86 was a rare Pirelli day (like the several times in 89/90 we saw a Minardi in the top two rows of the grid thanks to soft tyres).

Tyre wars throw a spanner in the works from time to time, but do spice things up.

Imagine if Ferrari, Sauber and BAR were on Bridgestone; Williams, Jordan and Toyota on Michelin; McLaren and Renault on Goodyear and Jaguar and Minardi on Pirelli. That would spice up the grid a little!

The last time we had that level of tyre manufacturer involvement was in 1982 (although it was Avon not Bridgestone as the fourth player, with the tyres sold through a company owned by Bernie, I believe!)
Old 5 Aug 2003, 19:27 (Ref:680744)   #12
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No room for Dunlop then!
Old 5 Aug 2003, 19:53 (Ref:680758)   #13
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
all the tyres sadly influence the outcome too much.
the machinery is a problem too, but this is part of F1- if ferrari had built a car for evry one (or william or even jordan) than the results would be down to driver alone, and the media interest is given to the WDC, when in fact there is a Manufacturer Title and a WDC, sadly is the WDC devalued if the machines are so disparate? and the tyres further this?- we can clearly see who is off at michelin, and BStn, but can we see who is clearly the best? if every one team had its own tyre supplier we can see a machinery or equipment fight, and if it is all the same a true drivers fight, What do we have now?
(i am playing devils advocate-after all the combination-the harmony if you will,superteam- of all elements is what makes the champions)
Old 5 Aug 2003, 20:09 (Ref:680774)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
This is a strange argument, were now saying that a tyre war is bad because it makes the field uneven and gives people an advantage on one particular tyre? Doh!!! that IS F1, having the best equipment and has always been the case!

Did Hill have the best car in 1996?
Did Senna and Berger walk it in the dominant Mclarens of 90 / 91?

You don't win in F1 unless you have the best equipment, the tyres are just another variable, just like engines, chassis, areodynamics etc.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 20:22 (Ref:680785)   #15
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, I admit that the tyre war has helped create some good racing this year, and has helped make the WDC a close contest so far. But you know how a last race decider creates a lot of hype in any motor sport, whether it's F1 or World Superbikes "Battle of the titans - Montoya Vs Schumacher (or whoever) - the fight for the title in Japan" Now if any of you saw the World Superbikes showdown at Imola last year, you'll know that that hype was entirely justified. But when you have a tyre war on, the tyre companies are never usually good at the same time. And this could mean that going into the showdown, we could see Montoya/Michael run off into the distance and have the other protagonist trailing, unable to do anything because they have the wrong tyres. That would really be an anticlimax after all the hype leading up to it if it happened. If the tyre companies are more or less even, then we're in for an exciting race. Hopefully, we'll find out the answer this year.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 20:22 (Ref:680786)   #16
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Monster
You don't win in F1 unless you have the best equipment, the tyres are just another variable, just like engines, chassis, areodynamics etc.
The sad part is that the teams dont have total control of the tires. Especially if you are not a Ferrari and run BS.

If you were D. Richards, how would you feel at this point in the season? BAR is not as good as Williams. However, Jag and Toyota should not be overhauling them either. Even Ferrari is losing because of it.

To get back on topic... I feel if the tires are even and it comes down to Suzuka to decide the title then Ferrari will win it easily. What makes the title chase so good now is that MS just needs to keep getting podiums and JPM needs wins. JPM could slowly chip away at MS's lead because if Michelins superiority.

I suppose if I took on Roy Jones Jnr. with on hand tied behind his back and beat him its still a victory. Regardless of how shallow it is.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 20:30 (Ref:680791)   #17
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that last comment was a bit ridiculous Neil as there have been obvious occasions where Ferrari have benefitted from having superior tyres as well as a superior car, I dont think this makes their wins any less meaningless?

Or were you referring to something else? :S
Old 5 Aug 2003, 21:40 (Ref:680827)   #18
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i was playing devils advocate-
any ways F1 is about the best set of equipment, tyres and chassis and engine, driver and team.
it is getting ridiculous however when the WDC starts to mean less Driver and more Constructors.
Ferrari on Michellins would probably be out front very easily, and this the tyre war we have to thank for, that at least other people are winning, but for crying out loud BS has to get their act together, tyres to be this far off is just an outrage. MS is the only front runner on the BS tyres, how can they not have any clue on how to beat them michellins? This is a tide in F1 but it seems like the tyres are distraacting from the real fight or is it they are the fight we are really watching?
Old 5 Aug 2003, 22:06 (Ref:680834)   #19
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring
i was playing devils advocate-
any ways F1 is about the best set of equipment, tyres and chassis and engine, driver and team.
Its true, F1 has never been about parity has it? Well so be it.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 22:25 (Ref:680843)   #20
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
I think that last comment was a bit ridiculous Neil as there have been obvious occasions where Ferrari have benefitted from having superior tyres as well as a superior car, I dont think this makes their wins any less meaningless?

Or were you referring to something else? :S

Actually I was just saying that it seems that in F1 it does not matter the circumstances by which you win, as long as you win.

That said you guys are right. Ferrari has had an "unfair advantage" for awhile now. Maybe its time for the tables to turn.
Old 6 Aug 2003, 00:33 (Ref:680895)   #21
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If it comes down to Suzuka, Bridgestone will have nothing to do with it, remember '95 & '97? 'nuff said.
Old 6 Aug 2003, 01:57 (Ref:680918)   #22
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
I am gonna let this topic go. I think I am in the minority when I say the best car driver combination should win. F1 does not play by those rules, obviously. I am no Ferrari fan but its sad to see them overhauled by BS. Then again they deserve it. They *****d everyone out of a fair shake in BS now they are going down with the ship. Its only a shame they are taking others with them.

I know 1 million and one Toyota fanatics that are now telling me how sad BAR is because they are going to be beaten by a 2nd year team. Reality means nothing. Its only the records that matter. Whatever...

As per ®îjñtjûh,

I need to lay down
Old 6 Aug 2003, 09:05 (Ref:681079)   #23
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm more concerned that ferrari and williams might be dead equal at suzuka-if that were the case,shuey would win for sure.Suzuka is one of those tracks where the very best drivers will crucify the merely great.
Old 6 Aug 2003, 11:22 (Ref:681165)   #24
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tyres won't RUIN the final show-down, did FERRARI ruin it last year for Schumacher? No, they just won everything and the walking dead I mean sorry, opposition got their asses kicked.
It's part of the game, part of the excitment, the tactics, the teamwork.
You guys think it will be between 2 drivers? Make that three, Kimi will be in with a chance come the final race, mark my words.
HANAA KIMI
Old 6 Aug 2003, 12:00 (Ref:681186)   #25
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
God!! this is dumb!! has this guy ever thought of an intelligent question? as a thread?