Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

View Poll Results: What engine formula do you favor?
Current 2.65 liter turbocharged formula 4 50.00%
New 1.5 liter turbocharged formula 0 0%
New 3.5 liter naturally aspirated V8 engines 3 37.50%
Other formula, please elaborate below 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30 Mar 2001, 22:35 (Ref:75575)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
By the end of April CART board members need to make a decision along with franchise holders and manufacturers in the direction of the engine formula for CART so that these changes can be implemented and in place for 2003.

Ford and Toyota are interested in moving toward an IRL formula employing production based, normally aspirated DOHC engines at 3.5 liters. Honda is willing to go in this direction but says that the current turbocharged formula adds a uniqueness to CART that no other formula has. Ford is keen to take on national rival General Motors (nee Oldsmobile) head to head as they currently do in NASCAR. Toyota desperately wants to have their name added the roll of honor and heritage at Indianapolis. Honda is also desirous of racing at Indy as well.

What do we think should be the direction.
Old 30 Mar 2001, 22:40 (Ref:75576)   #2
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Heeltoe6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
other, 1.8L turbo
Old 30 Mar 2001, 22:42 (Ref:75577)   #3
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally, I would not mind seeing CART move to a 3.5 liter non-turbo V8 package along the lines of the IRL, but minus the rev-limiter and non-lease arrangments for the CART sanctioned races. Ford, Toyota, and Honda are all against using a rev limiter. They are also against the divulging of engine technology to anyone out there for the artificially low price the IRL has set. They are also unwilling to take the blame for engine failures when the teasm are using "who knows who" to work on the engines. I cannot blame them at all.
Old 31 Mar 2001, 04:47 (Ref:75643)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I vote with Honda. They took away my Formula One turbos, and I lost a lot of interest in F1 after that. I love Turbos and I think they should stay.

Anyone who wants to run cheap little kiddie cars to the IRL formula knows where those cars can be found.
Old 31 Mar 2001, 23:54 (Ref:75855)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turbos all the way. Just ask the people who don't wear earplugs.
Old 1 Apr 2001, 11:26 (Ref:76000)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
turbos do seem more fun. and when there isn't much overtaking, just use the turbo...
i don't know much about engines, but would taking away the turbo affect the fuel conservation tactics like we have now? would it become f1-style all doing the same mpg?