United States
ApexTurtle is a back marker
That's terrible. RIP Niki
Old 21 May 2019, 10:11 (Ref:3905042)   #27
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
RIP Legend
Old 21 May 2019, 11:13 (Ref:3905048)   #28
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We've lost one of the last of the heroes. Very sad news and he will be sorely missed. RIP Niki.

We can move this thread to "Tributes" later.
Old 21 May 2019, 11:38 (Ref:3905051)   #29
LDM
Rookie

England
SE London / NE Kent
LDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was so sad to hear this - A true legend.

As a kid I seem to remember a documentary about him on the TV (i assume BBC), I would guess it was late 70's?
Have looked a few times but never found anything, did I imagine it?

Last edited by LDM; 21 May 2019 at 11:50.
Old 21 May 2019, 11:38 (Ref:3905052)   #30
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A brave man. R.I.P.
Old 21 May 2019, 13:48 (Ref:3905063)   #31
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
He retired from racing before I was born, but I have seen plenty of footage of him racing and read some great anecdotes in the past. And of course even in retirement, he was always in retirement, either as a pundit or being part of an F1 team which he did for Ferrari, Jag and in his final years Merc

I knew he hasn't been in the best of health the past 12 months, but it's still a bit of a shock as he always seemed to bounce back from the worst. Will miss a true character who was never dull to interview. At least now James Hunt can relive some old times up there with him

RIP Niki 'King Rat' Lauda
Old 21 May 2019, 14:27 (Ref:3905068)   #32
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
I was awaiting his return to the pitwall at Mercedes.
Terrible news to wake up to..
Old 21 May 2019, 21:16 (Ref:3905149)   #33
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Amazing driver, but more amazing as the man who returned to the track after his accident. May he R.I.P.
Old 21 May 2019, 21:33 (Ref:3905151)   #34
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
He retired from racing before I was born, but I have seen plenty of footage of him racing and read some great anecdotes in the past. He deserves a lot of respect, first of all from coming back from being given the last rites to just miss out on the title before winning the title again the next season, then coming out of retirement to win the title a third and final time.
And of course even in retirement, he was always in the paddock, either as a pundit or being part of an F1 team which he did for Ferrari, Jag and in his final years Merc

I knew he hasn't been in the best of health the past 12 months, but it's still a bit of a shock as he always seemed to bounce back from the worst. Will miss a true character who was never dull to interview. At least now James Hunt can relive some old times up there with him

RIP Niki 'King Rat' Lauda

Fixed a slight error in my post and while at it posted a couple of things I forgot to mention
Old 22 May 2019, 04:23 (Ref:3905170)   #35
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
R.I.P. Niki.

One very brave man, to step back into a race car after that accident.

Niki also went onto to start his own airline, and unfortunately suffered a fatal accident with a Boeing B767 when a thrust reverser deployed in flight. Niki took on Boeing and the American FAA, and proved them to be wrong in the way they went about certifying the Boeing B767 thrust reversers.
They recounted that story on local radio this morning - Boeing were refusing to acknowledge their fault, so Niki said 'ok, let's go for a flight tomorrow and use the thrust reversers'. Shortly afterwards Boeing backed down.

Very sorry to hear the news, but I had been really glad to see him enjoying himself so much with the Mercedes team in recent years.
Old 22 May 2019, 06:12 (Ref:3905178)   #36
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
The driver I revered above all others - for his razor sharp brain, his wit and his bluntness . And for his sublime driving -nobody changed gear with such metronomic precision and , head down , he was a racer as much as he was a thinker . I saw him in F3 , F2 and F1 and I will share two favorite memories -

- standing on the outside of the old Woodcote at Daily Express Trophy 1975. I'd just started my first job , just got my first car (Riley 1300 )and I'd driven from Lincoln after a 6am start on a perfect spring day. Made even more perfect by the sight and sound of Lauda's glorious 312T screaming and wailing past at 150mph , on the edge of grip, but never over it .

- ten years later , in the dunes at Scheivlak (is it ? ) Zandvoort as he duked it out with Prost like it was a FF1600 race. He won , and for the last time

Christ I feel very old and very sad today
Old 22 May 2019, 08:24 (Ref:3905192)   #37
snoz wanger
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckshaw, Chorley......and Druids..
snoz wanger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hats off to a REAL Legend.

Sad time but I have to say that as a huge Hunt fan throughout the Hesketh, Mclaren and Wolf eras James would never have been James without this remarkable man to compete against.

RIP LEGEND.......
Old 22 May 2019, 08:58 (Ref:3905196)   #38
sublimao
Rookie

Italy
Alassio Italian Riviera
sublimao should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
R.I.P. Niki

I'm glad I was present at his comeback Monza '76, one of his best Monaco '78
with Brabham Alfa after the puncture. Great sportman and unconventional businessman. The old good days: Niki, Forghieri and Regazzoni. Condolences to family.
Old 22 May 2019, 09:52 (Ref:3905199)   #39
Oconnell
Rookie

Oconnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP Legend. Niki Lauda is and always will be an inspiration.
Old 22 May 2019, 13:19 (Ref:3905221)   #40
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm saddened beyond words. He was my racing hero from the mid-'70s, when being a Lauda fan wasn't fashionable in the UK! But it was not entirely unexpected – the damage done to his lungs in '76 finally caught up with him, and a double transplant is double jeopardy.

But he was a breath of fresh air in the ghastly PC, PR-sodden world of F1. A treasured memory? After his last win, at Zandvoort, a Beeb interviewer asked him what he was going to do next. "Well, the weather here's a bit shitty, so I'm going home to Ibiza" he replied. The Beeb's phone lines were jammed for a week with howls of protest. Priceless... RIP, Niki.
Old 23 May 2019, 12:19 (Ref:3905361)   #41
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
+1
Old 23 May 2019, 13:00 (Ref:3905367)   #42
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Watson Gobbing off about Hamilton not attending apress conference and being Pathetic. The only thing that is Pathetic is Watson making a big story around Lauda's passing - pretty childish and disrespectful ....
Old 23 May 2019, 13:08 (Ref:3905369)   #43
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I found a very good tweet from Lewis this morning and also this: https://twitter.com/freddiehunt76/st...129358848?s=20 Very poignant I thought.
Old 23 May 2019, 13:29 (Ref:3905370)   #44
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
John Watson Gobbing off about Hamilton not attending apress conference and being Pathetic. The only thing that is Pathetic is Watson making a big story around Lauda's passing - pretty childish and disrespectful ....
Especially as MB and LH got specific permissions to allow him to skip the pressers and they allowed Ferrari to do last year after Sergio's passing. It's the media feeling they get to drive the story and demand whatever they want. Sorry but that's not how it works sir
Old 23 May 2019, 17:25 (Ref:3905387)   #45
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I found a very good tweet from Lewis this morning and also this: https://twitter.com/freddiehunt76/st...129358848?s=20 Very poignant I thought.

I’ve been thinking the same thing, very appropriate touch that from Hunt’s son
Old 24 May 2019, 06:30 (Ref:3905454)   #46
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I thought the tweet from Freddie Hunt was great.
Old 24 May 2019, 14:29 (Ref:3905502)   #47
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
My favorite book when I was a kid was James Hunt: Against the odds.

I *think* I can remember Hunt winning the 76 title, although I was only 3 at the time. Maybe it's one of the false memories that the experts say are probably not true.

Either way, it is fair to say that I am pretty sad about this whole thing. As happy as all Hunt fans are about him winning the title, what a fairytale it would have been if Lauda was champion in 76. Anyway, Lauda had so much success in 77 and later years, it's actually an amazing story.

F1 Legend.
Old 24 May 2019, 14:40 (Ref:3905506)   #48
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
The sport in those days was pretty brutal. 1970 and the WDC was awarded posthumously to Jochen Rhindt. James' championship was hobbled by Ferrari manipulating the rules and trying to disqualify McLaren at every turn. The oil cooler fiasco in Spain was a good example. So Whilst Niki had such a torrid time and nobody can convince me that he was anything but seriously brave (a hero) I think James was the deserved winner that year.

Overall I miss them both.
Old 24 May 2019, 16:30 (Ref:3905528)   #49
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
That period of racing was what go me into motor racing with larger than life characters and close racing, oh how IMHO F1 could do we that now
Old 25 May 2019, 04:20 (Ref:3905620)   #50
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
The sport in those days was pretty brutal. 1970 and the WDC was awarded posthumously to Jochen Rhindt. James' championship was hobbled by Ferrari manipulating the rules and trying to disqualify McLaren at every turn. The oil cooler fiasco in Spain was a good example. So Whilst Niki had such a torrid time and nobody can convince me that he was anything but seriously brave (a hero) I think James was the deserved winner that year.

Overall I miss them both.

'Rindt ' . Sorry , my inner pedant needed an early morning fix , and now I am away to Oulton Park .

Hunt was mighty that year - on a charge he was indomitable . I was at Brands 76 and it was extraordinary , with a febrile atmosphere I had never felt before. Didn't actually like it that much but it was electric ...

But Lauda always , always , had an inevitability about his wins- remember how he won the 1984 WDC?