Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Oct 2004, 09:55 (Ref:1134738)   #1
8news
Rookie

8news should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will HM take out Ambrose by accident??

I hope that none of the 6 HM Team drivers accidently take out Ambrose in the next 2 Rounds. It would be their worst PR disaster of all time, apart from selling HRT to Skaife.
Old 25 Oct 2004, 09:58 (Ref:1134744)   #2
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They didn't last year - what makes you think they would this year?
Old 25 Oct 2004, 09:59 (Ref:1134746)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You know I thought something similar yesterday... not thinking necessarily that it would be done intentionally, but by accident... you know, like a Skaife spin in front of him.. or a Crashbandicoot overtaking manoeuvre gone wrong...

I hope this thread doesnt come back to haunt us....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 25 Oct 2004, 10:12 (Ref:1134761)   #4
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The really funny thing about Ambrose's complaint with Kelly. He's upset that Rick didn't pass him after he left him room.

But did Rick know that Marcos was wanting him to pass? Did Rick know that Marcos was aware that it was Rick, and not the second placed Murphy who was right behind him.

He's complaining because Rick didn't go past on a track which is notoriously difficult to pass. Imagine the furore if Rick had tried to unlap himself (an act itself that is frowned upon) and something had gone wrong and he collided with Marcos? Anything could happen, either driver could make a mistake, a kangaroo could jump in front of them, some dick could throw a beer can onto the track and hit the car mid-corner, some oil on the track that hadn't been spotted by anyone. Anything.

Imagine the fuss Marcos would have made then.
Old 25 Oct 2004, 10:15 (Ref:1134765)   #5
Joe5619
Veteran

Joe5619 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't worry.. SBR have the inforcer to take care of HM!!

Last edited by Joe5619; 25 Oct 2004 at 10:17.
Old 25 Oct 2004, 10:16 (Ref:1134767)   #6
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
eduardo, it was preety clear on the telecast that marcos was being told to let rick go past with about 2 laps to go

so yes marcos knew it was rick
Old 25 Oct 2004, 10:21 (Ref:1134778)   #7
tiko
Racer

tiko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The worst thing is that if it does happen and its genuinely a racing incident like every other altercation between all 35 drivers all year, it will be completely blown out of proportion. For instance if Skaife turned Skaife around at the Clipsal 500 not much would be said, but if it happens at Symmons or at EC then unfortunately it will be blow way out of proportion.
Old 25 Oct 2004, 10:29 (Ref:1134791)   #8
Crowestar
Racer

Australia
Crowestar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Will HM take out Ambrose by accident??

Quote:
Originally posted by 8news
I hope that none of the 6 HM Team drivers accidently take out Ambrose in the next 2 Rounds. It would be their worst PR disaster of all time, apart from selling HRT to Skaife.
Don't be stupid!!!!! No driver never would take any other driver out on purpose because of a championship.

In the words of Reg Regan "Play hard but play fair"
Old 25 Oct 2004, 10:40 (Ref:1134801)   #9
resisturban
Racer

resisturban should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by tiko
For instance if Skaife turned Skaife around at the Clipsal 500
man, id like to see that!!!

its like my life-long dream!!! ;p hrug: :confused: ;p
Old 25 Oct 2004, 10:44 (Ref:1134803)   #10
Crowestar
Racer

Australia
Crowestar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by resisturban

I don't hrug:
Old 25 Oct 2004, 10:46 (Ref:1134805)   #11
8news
Rookie

8news should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by resisturban

He does it all the time-by himself
Old 26 Oct 2004, 19:32 (Ref:1137014)   #12
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As per the 'damning' press conference, Ambrose slowed downby 2 seconds on one lap, Kelly didn't want to go past.

It wouldn't suprise e if an "accident" happened, after all the benefits far out weigh the potential fine (or 60 second penalty).
Old 26 Oct 2004, 20:10 (Ref:1137034)   #13
mmciau
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
mmciau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gee, there are some people on here with fertile imaginations!!!!

Pity help the SBR supporters if Ambrose's car detonates!!!
They'll get on here and blame AVESCO and everybody else for even holding a race meeting!!

Mike
Old 26 Oct 2004, 22:28 (Ref:1137158)   #14
Dazz
Veteran

Dazz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really guys, how old are some of us in here?

I think to even suggest that any competitor would in all seriousness deliberately take out another competitor is a pretty damning.

Rick Kelly had a shocker of a weekend, turning around Ingall, Bowe and Bright, and each incident showed a lack of care and major misjudgement. BUT, does anyone really think in his mind he was thinking about doing it before hand?

Do you think he consciously thought to himslef, "I'll tap Ingall/Bowe/Bright into a spin to gain another position and ruin their shot at the title?

I do not expect to see any drivers give an inch in the next two rounds, no matter who they are racing against.

Just becasue Marcos has the title all but one does not give him the right to expect people to leave him alone and "let him get on with winning the title", and if he happens to get tangled up in something, it would be pretty poor form to say that it's a plan from the evil empire to try to dethrone him.

A win in this series is a major thing these days, and even a single race win can be a great thing for a team who have not had the best year. If someone has the speed on the day to beat Ambrose, good luck to them.

Holden has lost this years championship, but with a few races to go, they will be out to win every one of them just like every other team in pit lane to try to at least save some face, as you would expect.

I really think that this whole thing has been blown so far out of proportion that it isn't even funny anymore, because it seems that there is almost nobody around who can maturely discuss what happened without letting their red or blue bias get in the way.
Old 26 Oct 2004, 23:53 (Ref:1137213)   #15
jason7250
Racer

Australia
Tasmania
jason7250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is somthing in the water down there at Broadmeadows that all you blue blokes are drinking.

Last edited by jason7250; 26 Oct 2004 at 23:56.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 00:46 (Ref:1137224)   #16
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Dazz
I think to even suggest that any competitor would in all seriousness deliberately take out another competitor is a pretty damning.
Sorry Dazz, but it has happened before, Romano at PI, and was it Longhurst at Surfers who deliberatly nailed anotherdriverin revenge? I think P Morris has had a go at someone in V8's as well.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 01:55 (Ref:1137249)   #17
malarky
Racer

malarky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Chappelli
As per the 'damning' press conference, Ambrose slowed downby 2 seconds on one lap, Kelly didn't want to go past.

It wouldn't suprise e if an "accident" happened, after all the benefits far out weigh the potential fine (or 60 second penalty).
Chappelli, because Ambrose slowed a piddly 2 seconds on one lap of the ten or so that Kelly was behind him it's hardly a neon sign for Kelly to go past. Especially at Surfers.

Maybe Kelly thought he simply missed a gear?

If it bothered Ambrose as much during the race as it obviously did afterwards, why didn’t he ask his crew to go see the K-Mart guys and tell Rick to go past on the next lap? Or wave him past? Or pull off the racing line?

Are Ford fans so self-conscious and paranoid that they have to try and invent reasons for Ford to lose?

Quoting what nuff nuffs like Romano and Longhurst did is hardly justification for presuming that professional racers would deliberately knock out a competitor for championship gain.

If anyone has an axe to grind, surely it would be Holden fans, after Ingall's pathetic efforts at the Creek last year?

I’ve said it before, Ambrose deserves to win the championship. But guys like Murphy and Skaife (before he inevitably spins again) aren’t going to just pull over and let him pass. If he’s in the pack he’s going to have to race them. So he takes his chances, just like everyone else out there.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 02:30 (Ref:1137254)   #18
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, agree with you totally Marlarky, only your not really looking at the events in context. Had Kelly been actually racing Ambrose, I'm sure he wouldn't have a problem with it. Because Kelly was a lap down, and his team mate was the bloke trying to catch Ambrose, I'd say it's a fair assumption that Kelly didn't decide to follow that closely for his own health. A) it's going to slow the guy in front of you down because he's going to be looking in his rear view mirror B) your more likely to come to grief because your view of the track is blocked by the car in front C) it's harder on the car and driver because of the hot air flow from the car in front.

Had Kelly actually wanted to pass and unlap himself I'm sure (as you say) the K-Mart boys could have gone to see the SBR guys about letting him by.

The point is that what Kelly was doing is plain and simple intimidation and is therefore bad sportmanship.

While no "rules" may have been broken, what's to stop teams from that sort of carry on knowing that even if they do break the "rules" in doing whatever they do, they will only cop the penalty for said "rule" breakage.. i.e If xyz was about to be lapped and he was to dramatically slow abc (which could be 15 or 20 seconds in total before any "rule" breakage occured) even if he did get pinged for ignoring blue flags he's only going to get a drive through.... or taking it to the enth, the rollerball analogy.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 02:47 (Ref:1137260)   #19
malarky
Racer

malarky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's again all in the interpretation. I don't personally agree with what Kelly did, but I respect his right to do it. Like I said, he broke no rules and the officials obviously felt that during and after the race he had nothing to answer for (in that situation anyway).

It's similar in my view to Ingall's tactics at EC last year.

He held Skaife up even though he knew he had to pit the next lap.

So technically they weren't racing for position, as Ingall was fast running out of time to make his compulsory stop..

But he still stayed out and slowed Skaife to the point that they came together.

At the time, many Ford fans felt that Russell was entitled to race Skaife, even though he was out of position in real terms once he pitted on that lap.

And that outcome ofcourse was far worse than a simple 'brake test'...

Like I said it's all in the interpretation
Old 27 Oct 2004, 02:49 (Ref:1137261)   #20
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
HM will if they do take out MA will get away with it because of Holden push on CAMS & AVESCO & TEGA. It is that simple.

Now before you holden fans start putting **** on me have a good long think of the past.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 27 Oct 2004, 02:51 (Ref:1137262)   #21
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
and that's why they have a driving standards guru...... HAHHAHAAA
Old 27 Oct 2004, 03:23 (Ref:1137279)   #22
Dazz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by 1200Datto27
Sorry Dazz, but it has happened before, Romano at PI, and was it Longhurst at Surfers who deliberatly nailed anotherdriverin revenge? I think P Morris has had a go at someone in V8's as well.
Funny because I actually wrote those things in my post then deleted them as I didn't want to begin another useless side topic.

Those things were very much in the minority and quite strange rather than the norm.

Romano at P.I. wasn't for a race win, and Longhurst at Surfers was once again back marker antics.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 06:14 (Ref:1137340)   #23
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
hi tricky
Old 27 Oct 2004, 11:33 (Ref:1137639)   #24
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
so let me get this right

corner 1 at indy skaife tries to take out ambrose
kelly takes out ingall.
kelly takes out bright, who is going to ford next year and would have no, 1 on his car if he wins the championship.
kelly takes out bowe the next ford driver in the championship.

me thinks the HMS are already doing their best to take out the Ford drivers.

Its lucky that the first 3 in the championship dont get numbers or after last weekend Ford would be a chance at a 1-2-3 in the series next year
Old 27 Oct 2004, 23:19 (Ref:1138354)   #25
Dazz
Veteran

Steven Johnson must be getting paid by the Evil Empire as well, that's why he took Bowe out.

Man I have to get me some of these red and blue goggles, the world seems to take on a completely different look with them on.