Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 10 Feb 2003, 21:32 (Ref:502736)   #1
coxmattycox
Racer

coxmattycox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Disapointing in car selection

out of all i've heard there arn't ane 'new' cars coming in
I though the 2003 season was suppost to be the biggy!!
and what happened to the alfa rumour?
Old 11 Feb 2003, 17:00 (Ref:503503)   #2
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

Sim_Da_BTCC_Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
looks like we are only set for old and new existing manufaturers cars . We all aimed to high but infact we could be losing some teams i.e TAK and VLR.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 17:15 (Ref:503522)   #3
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As Richard West said..."we're all working away hard"

Perhaps.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 17:17 (Ref:503526)   #4
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Peter S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This year will be a cracker. From the looks of it now we could be up at around 18+ tourers for the start of the year, fingers crossed we will have more tourers than last year.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 17:18 (Ref:503532)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Production is looking promising too... hopefully, while numbers might not be as big as some would have hoped for, the quality of the field will be better than it has been for 3 or 4 years. Quality not quantity... sounds good to me!
Old 11 Feb 2003, 17:21 (Ref:503536)   #6
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeh, the Production grid seems to be expanding from what everybody originally thought it'd be. I see CMS Motorsport, who are running Nick Leason in a Ford Focus, are looking for a 2nd driver..so get your cheque books out folks.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 17:54 (Ref:503559)   #7
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think this year is gonna be great, the works cars are alot more closer to each other and we have some star names
Old 19 Feb 2003, 16:28 (Ref:511678)   #8
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
But the point stands, doesn't it? Where is this influx of new manufacturers we were promised? We have Vauxhall, MG, Proton and, errr, that's it. Thank God for Vauxhall running more than two works cars, and to Vauxhall and MG for supplying year-old machines to customers. But we desperately need a couple more manufacturers. What about Renault/Nissan or Alfa?
Old 19 Feb 2003, 16:38 (Ref:511688)   #9
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

28th Feb deadline for entrys so we'll soon find out.
Old 19 Feb 2003, 17:18 (Ref:511734)   #10
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
But the point stands, doesn't it? Where is this influx of new manufacturers we were promised? We have Vauxhall, MG, Proton and, errr, that's it.
How about Honda?? And there is a (admittedly very slim) chance of some Pugs too...
Old 19 Feb 2003, 17:21 (Ref:511739)   #11
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Sorry, forgot Honda. But we won't get works Pugs, and VLR haven't had much success running self-built cars.
Old 19 Feb 2003, 17:24 (Ref:511744)   #12
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
I think you meant to say that VLR (or VLM - same difference) haven't had much luck with the 406... Remember the Bommers they ran in the two years they were in the BTCC previously??

Sadly I don't think we'll get the opportunity to see what VLR can really do this year
Old 19 Feb 2003, 18:32 (Ref:511798)   #13
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why Craig - go on, spill the beans....
Old 19 Feb 2003, 18:46 (Ref:511814)   #14
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

Halfords may have pulled out of the deal is the rummor according to MN.
Old 19 Feb 2003, 19:17 (Ref:511841)   #15
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh, missed that bit - wonder if this ties in with Halfords sponsoring Minardi (via Verstappen). Budget 're-allocated' and all that.....
Old 19 Feb 2003, 23:39 (Ref:512030)   #16
Andy Metcalf
Racer

England
Kings Lynn, Norfolk UK
Andy Metcalf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought helping Dan Eaves win the Indepenents Cup would classed as success for VLR/Team Halfords. If Halfords have backed out, I would expect Vic Lee to have plans in order to fill the financial gap. Proton has built two new cars after one season. Perhaps some other Asian Manufacturers could enter in 2004/5. Imagine Toyota in BTCC and F1. Most Motorsport Formulas are going through a transformation to keep people interested.

"Tomorrow, is what you make it"
Old 20 Feb 2003, 10:49 (Ref:512292)   #17
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Quote:
Originally posted by btccnews
I thought helping Dan Eaves win the Indepenents Cup would classed as success for VLR/Team Halfords. If Halfords have backed out, I would expect Vic Lee to have plans in order to fill the financial gap. Proton has built two new cars after one season. Perhaps some other Asian Manufacturers could enter in 2004/5. Imagine Toyota in BTCC and F1. Most Motorsport Formulas are going through a transformation to keep people interested.
If the rumours are true, it depends when VLR knew - you don't always have a contingency if you think it's not required.

In anycase, replacing title sponsors is a difficult task for even the most resourceful team. The fact that the most successful team in the BTCC couldn't find a replacement for EGG, speaks volumes really.
Old 20 Feb 2003, 11:11 (Ref:512308)   #18
kykiske
Racer

kykiske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Things will no doubt good up front, but R.West decision to keep BTCP on the same grid shows that in terms of manufacturers....
-Seat choose Europe (at least for now)
-Alfa wernt interested
-Peugeot are unreliable (think 2001.....)
-Ford, if they do join, wont just yet

Lets hope a 7 way title scrap (JT, YM, Neal, Morrison, Reido, Hughes, Leslie) makes up for the disappointing lack of indy entrants, which if things dont improve are down on last year
Old 21 Feb 2003, 10:35 (Ref:513258)   #19
speedchick
Rookie

speedchick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The limited car selection will be down to the new regulations of the BTCC and the fact that only 5 manufacturers have been in it so far. Not all indie teams can afford to develop brand new cars, so are just using the previous works cars.

Things aren't as bad as in 2000 where you had 3 works teams and (at most) two indie Nissans.
Old 21 Feb 2003, 12:10 (Ref:513327)   #20
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer
Oh, missed that bit - wonder if this ties in with Halfords sponsoring Minardi (via Verstappen). Budget 're-allocated' and all that.....
Verstappen is sponsored by Halfords Holland. If I am right this company has no financial links with Halfords in GB.

Back to the topic. Is this not the same story we hear every year? At the end of the season people/teams are talking about new cars? But at the beginning of the season 99% of these cars are not on the grid.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 15:14 (Ref:523527)   #21
KPC
Racer

England
Well below that pie in the sky
KPC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with the comparison to 2000 when there were just he Mondeos, Accords and Vectras. The expense of the supertourers is what led to the situation we now have... cheaper to run cars. But there seems to be no interest from manufacturers still. We're even back to factory teams running 3 cars. I think it's lucky we have a touring class grid half full of ex-factory cars, otherwise it's 2000/2001 all over again. Interest is there but not the money it seems. However, in effect there will be three classes this year with good drivers and close run cars. Ultimately I think it'll be good.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 21:49 (Ref:524896)   #22
Matthopps
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Matthopps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by KPC
I agree with the comparison to 2000 when there were just he Mondeos, Accords and Vectras. The expense of the supertourers is what led to the situation we now have... cheaper to run cars. But there seems to be no interest from manufacturers still. We're even back to factory teams running 3 cars. I think it's lucky we have a touring class grid half full of ex-factory cars, otherwise it's 2000/2001 all over again. Interest is there but not the money it seems. However, in effect there will be three classes this year with good drivers and close run cars. Ultimately I think it'll be good.
Basedon this philospoy then, the BTCC should come good in the end then, (by about 2006)
Old 4 Mar 2003, 21:56 (Ref:524902)   #23
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

The entry gates were shut (although proberbly not firmly), last friday so its a case of sit back and wait for announcments now.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 22:27 (Ref:524949)   #24
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
I'm not waiting on anything. Already been through this process before, and know what happens! Media day will be a good indication of what's coming, but there's always something extra pops up.
Old 5 Mar 2003, 11:03 (Ref:525480)   #25
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by KPC
I agree with the comparison to 2000 when there were just he Mondeos, Accords and Vectras. The expense of the supertourers is what led to the situation we now have... cheaper to run cars.
Can anyone advise me on the relative costs between Supertouring, BTCC Touring car (2002 spec) and if possible Superproduction and Super 2000. I'm told the currect BTTC Touring cars are something like half the cost of Supertouring - would that be correct?

But what about BTCC Touring cars vs. Super 2000. What about those car makers/teams who are already racing in ETCC - would they have to spend a similar amount on a BTCC car?

I'm just talking about car costs here - not all the other costs of running a team for a season?