Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Jan 2022, 23:18 (Ref:4093917)   #5526
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Is it a Devin?
No, its a bit of an unfair question really as its an MG based Australian kit car from the late 1950's called the MG Milano. Manufactured by a company called JWF, I believe it was available as a body /chassis kit that owners used a donor MG to add mechanicals and running gear to, but I also know of many running Holden engines Alfa engines, a right mix of confusion. I have read of one running a much later engine in fact a turbo B series engine.

The one I photographed was entered as 1466cc whatever that might be.

They also made a GT Coupe version of the car.

Whilst not this actual car I photographed this link describes a sister car.

http://www.race-cars.com/carsold/mg/...49203001ss.htm

This is more informed info:https://australianmotorheritagefound...the-jwf-story/

or here on a local MG Forum:https://www.mgexp.com/forum/mga-foru...ilano.2942885/
Old 16 Jan 2022, 05:35 (Ref:4093948)   #5527
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post

Whoops a little porkie on my behalf.... just rechecked and it was entered as a 1360cc.
Old 16 Jan 2022, 08:38 (Ref:4093954)   #5528
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
No, its a bit of an unfair question really as its an MG based Australian kit car from the late 1950's called the MG Milano. Manufactured by a company called JWF, I believe it was available as a body /chassis kit that owners used a donor MG to add mechanicals and running gear to, but I also know of many running Holden engines Alfa engines, a right mix of confusion. I have read of one running a much later engine in fact a turbo B series engine.

They also made a GT Coupe version of the car.

Whilst not this actual car I photographed this link describes a sister car.

http://www.race-cars.com/carsold/mg/...49203001ss.htm

This is more informed info:https://australianmotorheritagefound...the-jwf-story/

or here on a local MG Forum:https://www.mgexp.com/forum/mga-foru...ilano.2942885/
There was a Milano racing in the UK last year but I can’t remember which series. Very pretty car
Old 16 Jan 2022, 08:40 (Ref:4093955)   #5529
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Both a Milano and Devin raced at Silverstone on the same day in 2013. We also had a Red Milano driven by Mike Eagles racing here some years earlier.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Milano GT  Jarrah Venables.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	73268

Name:	Devin SS Malcolm Gammons.JPG
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	73269
Old 16 Jan 2022, 08:49 (Ref:4093957)   #5530
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
There was a Milano racing in the UK last year but I can’t remember which series. Very pretty car
My aged memory failed me. I was thinking of the Bolwell
Old 16 Jan 2022, 09:08 (Ref:4093961)   #5531
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That green Milano is a really pretty car, and actually puts me in mind of more modern Ginettas or is that an illusion on my part?
Old 16 Jan 2022, 09:12 (Ref:4093962)   #5532
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks EB and RB for the pics and very intersting comments. Chris, is #51 a Lark?
Old 16 Jan 2022, 09:30 (Ref:4093964)   #5533
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes, enjoying the photos and stories as ever. Learning more about racers of old all the time
Old 16 Jan 2022, 10:25 (Ref:4093974)   #5534
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Bolwell that was raced here in 2020 by Justin Murphy is below, I believe that Justin also raced a Milano some years back.

Name:	Bolwell Nagari  Justin Murphy  .JPG
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	73270
Old 16 Jan 2022, 11:03 (Ref:4093978)   #5535
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Chris, is #51 a Lark?
It is a (Chrysler) Valiant R or S Series. R&S are almost identical with trim changes / update. (The R was only produced for a year before being updated)
An Aussie made (I think a knock down kit ) from North America and assembled here in Adelaide.. Came with a slant 6 and many had a push button semi auto transmission.

Had a few novel engine things.... a side mounted water pump to reduce engine length (more interior space) and I think the slant 6 (quite a slant,) was also to help pump and other peripherals.

When they were introduced here c'62 they were quite a jump in performance compared to other local (Holden /Ford) offerings, the large engine option having a mighty(!) 145bhp off the showroom floor when the locals were certainly well under 100bhp

Ive always had a bit of a soft spot for them.
A good write up here:
https://www.whichcar.com.au/features...eries-s-series
Old 16 Jan 2022, 11:13 (Ref:4093980)   #5536
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Going back to the Milano, the prototype GT version actually had rather rudimentary gull wing doors!

Also a Milano GT Mk.1 featured in the Fordwater Trophy at Goodwood a few years back ….
Pic of it at Goodwood and a lot of interesting info about the cars and history here:
https://www.triple-mregister.org/for...TOPIC_ID=11156

Im fully expecting Bob to return and publish his own photos of the MG Milano at Goodwood, plucked from the depths of his mighty Pandora's Box of photos!
Old 16 Jan 2022, 11:42 (Ref:4093986)   #5537
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
Think the picture of the Milano at Goodwood is the Justin Murphy car mentioned earlier.
Old 16 Jan 2022, 14:54 (Ref:4093998)   #5538
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another Australian 'kit car' which has competed in British historic racing is the Austin Healey based JWF Italia. Driven by Daniel Wood, it was raced in the HSCC's Historic Roadsports championship as well as the FISCAR series.
Old 16 Jan 2022, 15:19 (Ref:4094001)   #5539
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I do like kit cars like that. Some deride them for looking cheap, but I disagree. They certainly are unique in their own way
Old 16 Jan 2022, 16:02 (Ref:4094007)   #5540
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Back in the 50s they weren't"kit cars" we're they? They were seen as "Specials". At least that's my understanding from my parents, I wasn't there to find out if course.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 16 Jan 2022, 17:07 (Ref:4094011)   #5541
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Back in the 50s they weren't"kit cars" we're they? They were seen as "Specials". At least that's my understanding from my parents, I wasn't there to find out if course.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
You could well be right Max, I have had a look on both Buckler and Speedex sites and the Speedex was certainly described as a 'special'. However nowadays I would say a special was a car converted to a more or less unique specification by it's designer/constructor while a car built using a set of parts from the likes of JWF, Buckler or Speedex would be considered a kit car.
Old 16 Jan 2022, 17:09 (Ref:4094012)   #5542
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
b

Last edited by GCCheddaris; 16 Jan 2022 at 17:16.
Old 16 Jan 2022, 17:26 (Ref:4094014)   #5543
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
You could well be right Max, I have had a look on both Buckler and Speedex sites and the Speedex was certainly described as a 'special'. However nowadays I would say a special was a car converted to a more or less unique specification by it's designer/constructor while a car built using a set of parts from the likes of JWF, Buckler or Speedex would be considered a kit car.
We had a Buckler turn up at the show one year.
Old 16 Jan 2022, 19:23 (Ref:4094031)   #5544
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few additional pictures of the recently mentioned cars for you...
The Mike Eagles Milano

Name:	Mike Eagles - Milano GT (2).JPG
Views:	4
Size:	1,001.8 KB
ID:	73272
The Justin Murphy Milano

Name:	Murphy - Milano GT Mk1 06 (7).JPG
Views:	5
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	73273
And the Daniel Wood JWF Italia-Healey

Name:	Daniel Wood - JWF Italia-Healey.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	73274
Old 17 Jan 2022, 02:11 (Ref:4094079)   #5545
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Did any of the very numerous Buchananan bodied Specials ever turn up in the UK.
The shells originated out of Sydney and were taken from a mold of the Tom Sulman Kangaroo Team Aston DB3s.
Nice looking body if finished well and provided the shell for plenty of Holden, MG. and other special projects.
Too many Oz residents around pinching Baub's Blogspace.
Old 17 Jan 2022, 03:17 (Ref:4094087)   #5546
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Did any of the very numerous Buchananan bodied Specials ever turn up in the UK.
The shells originated out of Sydney and were taken from a mold of the Tom Sulman Kangaroo Team Aston DB3s.
Nice looking body if finished well and provided the shell for plenty of Holden, MG. and other special projects.
Found this..... pictures etc plus numerous links within

http://www.buchananmotorcompany.com/...20articles.htm
Old 17 Jan 2022, 10:39 (Ref:4094115)   #5547
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
I think it was 'rbs' asked after Aussie F5000 pics.... a couple here, starting with a Matich A50
Frank Matich is remembered not only as one of the great drivers of the Formula 5000 era, but as a true great of Australian motorsport.

Alongside Sir Jack Brabham and, Garrie Cooper (Elfin), Matich is one of an exclusive group of Australian drivers who raced – and won – in the cars they created.

Plus some bits and pieces.... a busy day in the F5000 garages at PI plus
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0287 (2).jpg   IMG_0279 (2).jpg   IMG_0258 (2).jpg  

2009_0326HistoricSandown2009-0133 (3).jpg   2010_0708P-I-Classic-Mar20110272 (2).jpg   2010_0708P-I-Classic-Mar20110150 (3).jpg  

Old 17 Jan 2022, 18:39 (Ref:4094162)   #5548
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Good pics, interesting info, thanks. Not surprising that I do appreciate the blue one…
Old 18 Jan 2022, 05:47 (Ref:4094205)   #5549
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
A few more.... one for mon ami mate Francais!

I have no idea what the #7 car is and I cant find the programme to check.... still in a box somewhere from when I moved 18 months ago.
Attached Thumbnails
2010_0708P-I-Classic-Mar20110245 (2).jpg   2010_0708P-I-Classic-Mar20110154 (2).jpg   2010_0708P-I-Classic-Mar20110240 (3).jpg  

2010_0708P-I-Classic-Mar20110153.jpg   DSCF1310 (3).jpg   2010_0708P-I-Classic-Mar20110210 (2).jpg  

Old 18 Jan 2022, 07:03 (Ref:4094209)   #5550
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Wonder what kind of peugeot engine it can be. If the basis is 203/403 it must be heavily modified to breath through Webers because I remember the intake is somewhat special.