Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 21 Dec 2021, 10:07 (Ref:4090803)   #951
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
I am not a fan of listing teams by their sponsor title , I generally stick with their actual team name
Interesting - a genuine query, why are you averse to listing sponsors?
The sponsors bring funds to the grid, so surely they deserve some recognition?

As an aside - when and why did you change your approach? For the 2020 season, your lists included sponsors:

BMR and Moffat listed as Laser Tools
AmD/Cobra listed as MB Motorsport

Have certain sponsors done something that upsets you?
Old 21 Dec 2021, 10:17 (Ref:4090804)   #952
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Interesting - a genuine query, why are you averse to listing sponsors?
The sponsors bring funds to the grid, so surely they deserve some recognition?
with respect (and wearing the moderator hat), you're being a bit of a wally for the sake of it here.

i get it - it's easier to figure out where the team structure is if you don't just use the sponsor names. case in point would be laser tools, tradepricecars or whatever they're called.
Old 21 Dec 2021, 10:18 (Ref:4090805)   #953
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
New Laser Tools Infiniti driver is quite a surprise, but I wish him the best. Does seem Sutton might be on his way out
From Autosport:

The news comes amid feverish speculation about the likely destination of LTR’s 2020 and 2021 overall champion Ash Sutton, who is known not to be continuing with the squad.

That means that there will no longer be an engineering and technical tie-up with Sutton’s long-time employer BMR.

But Moffat Sr told Autosport that Dan Millard, who engineered Sutton to the 2017 crown aboard a BMR Subaru before switching to West Surrey Racing and running Colin Turkington’s BMW to 2018 glory, will remain at LTR for a second season looking after Moffat Jr’s machine.

While Moffat Jr retains two TBL entrants’ licences, the team is pushing ahead to continue as a three-car effort by using one of the TBLs owned by 2021 LTR Infiniti driver Carl Boardley, who is understood not to be competing in the BTCC next season.

“I think Carl’s looking for a little break,” said Moffat Sr. “We’ll most likely run three and we’re talking to other drivers.”
Old 21 Dec 2021, 10:29 (Ref:4090807)   #954
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
with respect (and wearing the moderator hat), you're being a bit of a wally for the sake of it here.

i get it - it's easier to figure out where the team structure is if you don't just use the sponsor names. case in point would be laser tools, tradepricecars or whatever they're called.
Genuinely - I am not trying to be awkward. It is a sincere query to understand why a poster would deliberately choose to not list sponsors.

Happy for the post to be removed if it seen to be causing difficulties, that is not the intent.

It just came across as strange to me that someone would openly post that they are not a fan of listing teams by their sponsors, and I merely wondered what the reason for this was. Particularly so when teams are better known by their sponsor than the registered TBL holder.

For example, recent announcements on the official website have included the headlines:
DEXTER PATTERSON JOINS AIDEN MOFFAT AT LASER TOOLS RACING
JACKSON AND OSBORNE TEAM UP AT MOTORBASE PERFORMANCE
DAN CAMMISH MAKES BTCC RETURN FOR 2022 TITLE TILT WITH NAPA RACING UK
CICELEY TARGETS NEW RECRUIT AFTER PARTING WAYS WITH TOM CHILTON

When the official site switches routinely between sponsor and team name, I wonder why a deliberate effort would be made to avoid naming sponsors elsewhere?
Old 21 Dec 2021, 10:49 (Ref:4090811)   #955
Sunbeam347
Rookie

Sunbeam347 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
From Autosport:

The news comes amid feverish speculation about the likely destination of LTR’s 2020 and 2021 overall champion Ash Sutton, who is known not to be continuing with the squad.
Where do we think he’s off to then? NAPA Racing?
Old 21 Dec 2021, 12:28 (Ref:4090814)   #956
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Genuinely - I am not trying to be awkward. It is a sincere query to understand why a poster would deliberately choose to not list sponsors.

Happy for the post to be removed if it seen to be causing difficulties, that is not the intent.

It just came across as strange to me that someone would openly post that they are not a fan of listing teams by their sponsors, and I merely wondered what the reason for this was. Particularly so when teams are better known by their sponsor than the registered TBL holder.

For example, recent announcements on the official website have included the headlines:
DEXTER PATTERSON JOINS AIDEN MOFFAT AT LASER TOOLS RACING
JACKSON AND OSBORNE TEAM UP AT MOTORBASE PERFORMANCE
DAN CAMMISH MAKES BTCC RETURN FOR 2022 TITLE TILT WITH NAPA RACING UK
CICELEY TARGETS NEW RECRUIT AFTER PARTING WAYS WITH TOM CHILTON

When the official site switches routinely between sponsor and team name, I wonder why a deliberate effort would be made to avoid naming sponsors elsewhere?
it can be confusing in some cases

Example old WIX Racing, one year they were RAR , next year a total different team (Cicely) plus sometimes sponsor name is (much) longer

2nd issue when a team has more title sponsors and can appear as a different team by sponsor names, most recent example Motorbase and the HARD enigma all the time

so IMO it's much more transparent without such names
Old 21 Dec 2021, 12:50 (Ref:4090817)   #957
Millvi
Racer

Millvi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
Some interesting insights from the 'On the Limit' series. Chilton had various engineers over the season, something that won't have helped him at all. Im not sure if the changes were trying to find someone he could work with, but you would have thought a team like Cicely would have that sorted. On the flip side, Ash makes comment that him, his engineer and No1 mechanic move as a trio.
It's been a fascinating insight has 'On the Limit' and I've really enjoyed watching.

Chilton finally admitted in the latest episode, 'The Best of Rivals', that RWD and 2021 had been his hardest season ever and clear then he was set on a return to FWD.

Previously he'd been all positive and full of smiles, but lots of excuses for his poor showing. Plenty of coverage of him at the start of the weekend but not much comment towards the end of the weekend. Car and team and engineers not the issue in my opinion.

I'm not Chilton's greatest fan, but he was right up there not that long ago in the Ford Focus and I'd like to see him have a go in the Speedworks Toyota for 2022.

As for Sutton and team, what a class act they are. Massively impressed and Aron Taylor-Smith quite right to praise him as he did in the latest episode.

And ATS impressed me with his focus and steely determination and honesty about how hard 2021 was for him.

Fascinating watching, highly recommended if you guys not watched it yet.
Old 21 Dec 2021, 13:31 (Ref:4090823)   #958
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sutton confirmed at Motorbase/NAPA.

I'm still a bit surprised that he isn't in a RWD car but hopefully him and Cammish will be a force to be reckoned with and one (or both) will be a title contender.
Old 21 Dec 2021, 13:37 (Ref:4090824)   #959
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Interesting that it's also a "multi year deal". Napa aren't messing about are they?
Old 21 Dec 2021, 13:46 (Ref:4090827)   #960
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
'Motorbase haven’t just made me feel welcome they have also welcomed onboard the car crew I have worked with over the past three years.'
Old 21 Dec 2021, 13:47 (Ref:4090828)   #961
Sunbeam347
Rookie

Sunbeam347 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sutton is signed to NAPA Racing, just confirmed.

*beaten to it!
Old 21 Dec 2021, 13:48 (Ref:4090829)   #962
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
It will be interesting to see how Sutton gets on with FWD. He would have been red hot favorite for the title in pretty much any RWD car out there. I'm sure that he will still be in the mix at the sharp end though.
Old 21 Dec 2021, 13:52 (Ref:4090830)   #963
porsche962fan
Veteran

if he dominates in the same fashion as with Infiniti I eat my imaginary hat

this means the Jake Hill at WSR is a lot more possible
Old 21 Dec 2021, 13:53 (Ref:4090831)   #964
porsche962fan
Veteran

Sutton confirmed and that makes Motorbase the first 2< car team to have all seats confirmed

Honda Civic - Team Dynamics - Gordon Shedden ??
Honda Civic - Team Dynamics - Dan Rowbotten
Honda Civic - Team Dynamics - Matt Neal ???

Honda Civic - BTC Racing - Josh Cook ????
Honda Civic - BTC Racing - Jade Edwards ??
Honda Civic - BTC Racing - Michael Crees ??
Honda Civic - BTC Racing - Senna Proctor ??

BMW 330 - WSR - Colin Turkington ?
BMW 330 - WSR - Sthephen Jelley ??
BMW 330 - WSR - Jake Hill ???

BMW 330 - Ciceley - Adam Morgan
BMW 330 - Ciceley - ????

Hyundai I30 - EXCELR8 Motorsport - Tom Ingram
Hyundai I30 - EXCELR8 Motorsport - ????
Hyundai I30 - EXCELR8 Motorsport - ????
Hyundai I30 - EXCELR8 Motorsport - Jack Butel ?

Ford Focus - Motorbase (NAPA) - Dan Cammish
Ford Focus - Motorbase (NAPA) - Ash Sutton
Ford Focus - Motorbase - Sam Osborne
Ford Focus - Motorbase - Ollie Jackson

Toyota Corolla - Speedworks - Rory Butcher ????
Toyota Corolla - Speedworks - ????
Toyota Corolla - Speedworks - ????

Cupra Leon - HARD - Jack Goff
Cupra Leon - HARD - Aron Taylor Smith
Cupra Leon - HARD - ?????

Infiniti Q50 - Aiden Moffat Racing - Aiden Moffat
Infiniti Q50 - Aiden Moffat Racing - Dexter Patterson

Infiniti Q50 ??? - Boardley Motorsport - ?????
Infiniti Q50 ??? - Boardley Motorsport - ?????

Vauxhall Astra ??? - PMR - ????
Vauxhall Astra ??? - PMR - ????
Old 21 Dec 2021, 13:57 (Ref:4090832)   #965
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
It will be interesting to see how Sutton gets on with FWD. He would have been red hot favorite for the title in pretty much any RWD car out there. I'm sure that he will still be in the mix at the sharp end though.
on this board there are some negative opinions on having two no.1 drivers but Motorbase (NAPA) do have such lineup now
Old 21 Dec 2021, 14:00 (Ref:4090833)   #966
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As I wrote previously, my only concern is that between now Cammish and Sutton, they have a line-up where both drivers could potentially be taking driver's points off each other. Obviously, it matters not as far as the team championship points are concerned, but it may well allow a driver from another team to quietly cruise up behind them hoovering up solid points and, by season's end, slip past them both.

As I pointed out before, there were only 2 points between three drivers when Turkington last won the driver's title because they had two drivers both taking wins and higher placings.
Old 21 Dec 2021, 14:04 (Ref:4090834)   #967
porsche962fan
Veteran

well if Hill really ends up at WSR the same scenario could happen in that team , him taking points away from Turkington

which makes it alot more fun for the viewers !!
Old 21 Dec 2021, 14:06 (Ref:4090835)   #968
mprmke
Racer

mprmke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's no secret how much I've always rated Hill, but it would be a surprise if he slots into the BMW and is that close to Turkington's level straightaway. BMW need to hit the hybrid ground running, as the car had too many weaknesses in 2021, and without a Turkington-level driver they would have been nowhere...
Old 21 Dec 2021, 14:15 (Ref:4090836)   #969
flatapex
Rookie

flatapex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could also be in a Honda, or Hyundai or toyota?
Old 21 Dec 2021, 14:16 (Ref:4090837)   #970
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
As I wrote previously, my only concern is that between now Cammish and Sutton, they have a line-up where both drivers could potentially be taking driver's points off each other. Obviously, it matters not as far as the team championship points are concerned, but it may well allow a driver from another team to quietly cruise up behind them hoovering up solid points and, by season's end, slip past them both.

As I pointed out before, there were only 2 points between three drivers when Turkington last won the driver's title because they had two drivers both taking wins and higher placings.
I don't think it'll be too much of a problem, I think Ash Sutton will be way quicker than Dan Cammish. (I don't have the same high opinion of him that most people have, I can't explain why, but I just can't see it).
Old 21 Dec 2021, 14:25 (Ref:4090838)   #971
piekey
Rookie

piekey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by piekey View Post
If i was a betting man ?
I would have a months wages on Sutton @ Motorbase.......
Watch this space.
Doh why didn't i put money on the worst kept secret ?
Old 21 Dec 2021, 14:32 (Ref:4090839)   #972
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With Cammish and Sutton in the Fords, along with Sutton's engineering team behind them - I think we will see 1 of them on the podium for most races.

Hill could still slot in at many of the top teams - Dynamics, WSR, Toyota, BTC.
Old 21 Dec 2021, 14:34 (Ref:4090840)   #973
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's exciting, looks like Motorbase might be a dark horse next year. Maybe they'll finally win a title. To see Ash in a FWD car will be quite unusual and interesting, good he has his crew around, that can help things but for sure it might be tough in the beginning. Nevertheless, I believe they will be a very strong combination and Sutton v Cammish rivalry will also be something to look forward to.

At the same time, I don't think Moffat will keep such a performance level as this year now that Sutton's gone.
Old 21 Dec 2021, 14:38 (Ref:4090841)   #974
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
That's exciting, looks like Motorbase might be a dark horse next year. Maybe they'll finally win a title. To see Ash in a FWD car will be quite unusual and interesting, good he has his crew around, that can help things but for sure it might be tough in the beginning. Nevertheless, I believe they will be a very strong combination and Sutton v Cammish rivalry will also be something to look forward to.

At the same time, I don't think Moffat will keep such a performance level as this year now that Sutton's gone.
Didn't he do a FWD TCR race ? Showed up , hammered everyone, went home
Old 21 Dec 2021, 14:46 (Ref:4090842)   #975
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Didn't he do a FWD TCR race ? Showed up , hammered everyone, went home
Almost.
A 4th and 3rd place in 2018. 19th and 4th in 2019.

Both one-off outings.