Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 21 Mar 2022, 13:27 (Ref:4103670)   #2351
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Some just can't wait to test and will take whatever opportunity they can
Old 21 Mar 2022, 13:52 (Ref:4103682)   #2352
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you have the hybrid parts (and enough budget), you would want to be doing as much testing as possible - I'm surprised we haven't seen more testing already.
Old 21 Mar 2022, 13:53 (Ref:4103683)   #2353
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wonder how many cars will have hybrid fitted for next weeks donington test
Old 21 Mar 2022, 14:02 (Ref:4103691)   #2354
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
If you have the hybrid parts (and enough budget), you would want to be doing as much testing as possible - I'm surprised we haven't seen more testing already.
A big if I hear....
Old 21 Mar 2022, 15:22 (Ref:4103705)   #2355
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
IIRC, didn't about a dozen BTCC cars test at Croft on 12 Apr 2021?
https://www.btcc.net/2021/04/08/btcc...g-heads-north/

Tomorrow is listed as a semi-exclusive test day for closed wheel cars. I would have thought there is a good chance of seeing BTCC cars in that test.
I meant in the case of it being a non BTCC day. Should have made myself more clear there!

Should be a good day no matter what, weather looks good, and I'm ready for terrible coffee and overpriced butties, the traditional fare of our racetracks.
Old 21 Mar 2022, 17:12 (Ref:4103727)   #2356
InYourMirrors45
Rookie

InYourMirrors45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdh View Post
I wonder how many cars will have hybrid fitted for next weeks donington test
Blimey I’d forgotten about that, wonder if we’ll have everything/everyone announced by then. I doubt it.
Old 21 Mar 2022, 19:02 (Ref:4103736)   #2357
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
Croft tomorrow, I'm popping along, was told a few BTCC cars are due.
Not sure if that's the case. Last time a BTCC contingent was there for general testing was Dynamics, Laser Tools and Simpson in 2019.
Anybody have info or am I being led down the path?
(Was also told Redline will be there with new Carrera Cup cars.)
Redline truck clocked headed that way I'm told.
Old 21 Mar 2022, 19:07 (Ref:4103739)   #2358
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Redline will be eager to stay on top no doubt
Old 21 Mar 2022, 19:46 (Ref:4103746)   #2359
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
Has there been clarification on the performance 'ballast' system of hybrid power restriction is going to work yet?
Not formal AFAIK - but if Turkington is correct, it is a time-bounded application of hybrid that will be used.
Old 22 Mar 2022, 08:08 (Ref:4103793)   #2360
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Not formal AFAIK - but if Turkington is correct, it is a time-bounded application of hybrid that will be used.
I have heard the same from others I’ve spoken to about it, time allowance reduced down giving the championship leader the least, then slightly less down through championship positions for R1, then based on results of R1 & R2 as per ballast, but not sure on the time increments/allowance differences will be though.
Old 22 Mar 2022, 08:42 (Ref:4103795)   #2361
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
The question is (or to my mind is) will the public be told the techie stuff or will it all be kept under lock and key like engine boost tinkering?
Old 22 Mar 2022, 08:59 (Ref:4103797)   #2362
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
The question is (or to my mind is) will the public be told the techie stuff or will it all be kept under lock and key like engine boost tinkering?
Saying that the car that came 1st gets 2 seconds (for example) less hybrid boost time than the car that came 2nd and so on is no more techie than stating the success ballast weights surely?
Old 22 Mar 2022, 09:47 (Ref:4103800)   #2363
Robshillito1990
Racer

Robshillito1990 is a back marker
Honestly don't know why they didn't just use the hybrid for a bit more of a kick instead of introducing the artificial racing that is inevitably going to happen by giving them a "boost button". No skill involved in pressing a button and overtaking someone.
Old 22 Mar 2022, 10:43 (Ref:4103807)   #2364
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robshillito1990 View Post
Honestly don't know why they didn't just use the hybrid for a bit more of a kick instead of introducing the artificial racing that is inevitably going to happen by giving them a "boost button". No skill involved in pressing a button and overtaking someone.
It isn't as simple as that though. The defending car also has the boost button, so you get an added level of strategy of where is best to use (or preserve) the additional power).
Old 22 Mar 2022, 11:08 (Ref:4103808)   #2365
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully it'll function more like a push to pass than DRS and will still provide good racing, not just artificial passing like with DRS. The trouble is it can create situations when a driver behind has a lot more boost and the one ahead will have a strategy of allowing the other to pass him without a fight as "the chances are little to survive ahead."
Can't help but feel this can spoil racing product a bit and is a bit against BTCC's DNA. But first we have to see what it looks like in practice.
Old 22 Mar 2022, 11:41 (Ref:4103812)   #2366
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The BTCC is anything but pure.....
Old 22 Mar 2022, 12:36 (Ref:4103818)   #2367
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
It will be clear and obvious (how much boost each driver has available) in the same way as ballast has been.
Plus - the cars have an LED indicator for when hybrid is being deployed.

It's not a BoP measure, but a handicap system.
Old 22 Mar 2022, 12:39 (Ref:4103821)   #2368
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robshillito1990 View Post
No skill involved in pressing a button and overtaking someone.
If I take Turkington at his word (I have no reason not to), then the application of the hybrid power is far more considered. He says that WSR have been working extensively with the drivers to determine the best way to use the allocated hybrid power each lap.
They have to consider such matters as overall lap time, overtaking, defending, tyre preservation etc.
Old 22 Mar 2022, 12:43 (Ref:4103823)   #2369
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
it can create situations when a driver behind has a lot more boost and the one ahead will have a strategy of allowing the other to pass him without a fight as "the chances are little to survive ahead."
I think if a driver has used up all of their 15 secs, and the car behind is still close without using their 15 secs, then the car ahead deserves to be overtaken.
Old 22 Mar 2022, 13:24 (Ref:4103834)   #2370
Ant25
Racer

Ant25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess most announcements will be on the test day?
Old 22 Mar 2022, 15:11 (Ref:4103856)   #2371
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant25 View Post
Will that include the three that were not fixed 10 weeks ago - nudge nudge wink wink know what i mean say no more
Old 22 Mar 2022, 15:51 (Ref:4103863)   #2372
Ant25
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Will that include the three that were not fixed 10 weeks ago - nudge nudge wink wink know what i mean say no more
I don’t know what you mean? Tell me more!!
Old 22 Mar 2022, 16:04 (Ref:4103865)   #2373
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:

I bloody hope so, if not before
Old 22 Mar 2022, 16:22 (Ref:4103869)   #2374
Ant25
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I bloody hope so, if not before
Only got a few days left! They have to announce before surly because of it being a test day be loads of pictures and videos being released!
Old 22 Mar 2022, 16:36 (Ref:4103875)   #2375
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Do you mean the Season Launch event at Thruxton over the 12/13th April?

Teams can (and have) test before then without having confirmed all drivers.