Old 11 Jun 2017, 22:20 (Ref:3740353)   #101
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Mclaren seat will probably be open for 2018 so who takes it?. Alonso saying "if not capable of winning by september" - not sure if this was meant to motivate Honda, or flat out admission that he will leave Mclaren.

It really seams like F1 is losing drivers with above average talent faster than they can bring them into the sport....
Aging Raikkonen, Hulkenberg stuck in midfield cars, Alonso probably to run a season of indycar.

No offense but I want a grid full of Hamiltons, Vettels, Verstappens, Alonsos in peak form not the Ricciardo, Bottas, Kyvat, Palmers. These other guys are talented to give them credit, but not at the same level.
if it's only one seat at Mclaren, it'll likely be Button back in. he's reportedly the only with a contract with Mclaren for 2018
Old 11 Jun 2017, 23:13 (Ref:3740358)   #102
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
If he's able to compete, Renault would be mad not to snap up Kubica in place of Palmer (sorry, Jo).
I see a path for Kubica back to a competitive ride. A seat at Renault and excellent performances that he had in his last stint as an F1 driver and he could be in contention for a seat a Mercedes, Ferrari, a resurgent Renault team, or a resurgent Mclaren!

If Kubica has any dreams of F1, he has to push for the the Renault seat for 2018.
Old 12 Jun 2017, 02:24 (Ref:3740379)   #103
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
No offense but I want a grid full of Hamiltons, Vettels, Verstappens, Alonsos in peak form not the Ricciardo, Bottas, Kyvat, Palmers. These other guys are talented to give them credit, but not at the same level.
Ricciardo? Not at the same level? Seriously??

The Hamiltons, Vettels, Vestappens and Alonsos all have said Ricciardo is one of the best competitios they have driven with. Alonso even said Ricciardo was the best driver currently on the grid. Credit where credit is due, but to say Ricciardo is not at the same level as the others you mentioned is just daft.
Old 12 Jun 2017, 14:04 (Ref:3740520)   #104
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel82 View Post
if it's only one seat at Mclaren, it'll likely be Button back in. he's reportedly the only with a contract with Mclaren for 2018
While I suspect that may have been the initial plan, I don't see Button returning. I miss Button in F1, part of me hopes I am wrong, but based upon some of his comments to the press at Monaco, I think he has clearly moved on from F1. Also given the doubt to the ability for Honda to resolve things for the 2018 season, McLaren is better off saving their money and not looking for top drivers IMHO. At least for 2018.

My guess is that in general Honda will make some improvements, but not to the point that McLaren wants. And that McLaren will be stuck with Honda for 2018. If Honda and McLaren part ways before 2018, it will be the result of substantial backroom deal making including saving face for many who are involved (reminiscent of the musical chairs triggered by Rosberg leaving Mercedes) . And I suspect Alonso will leave F1 at the end of this season unless a drive opens up at Mercedes, Ferrari or maybe Red Bull. Or... He could stay with McLaren, but only if Honda somehow amazingly recovers during this season (doubtful).

Richard
Old 12 Jun 2017, 15:50 (Ref:3740546)   #105
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
While I suspect that may have been the initial plan, I don't see Button returning. I miss Button in F1, part of me hopes I am wrong, but based upon some of his comments to the press at Monaco, I think he has clearly moved on from F1. Also given the doubt to the ability for Honda to resolve things for the 2018 season, McLaren is better off saving their money and not looking for top drivers IMHO. At least for 2018.

My guess is that in general Honda will make some improvements, but not to the point that McLaren wants. And that McLaren will be stuck with Honda for 2018. If Honda and McLaren part ways before 2018, it will be the result of substantial backroom deal making including saving face for many who are involved (reminiscent of the musical chairs triggered by Rosberg leaving Mercedes) . And I suspect Alonso will leave F1 at the end of this season unless a drive opens up at Mercedes, Ferrari or maybe Red Bull. Or... He could stay with McLaren, but only if Honda somehow amazingly recovers during this season (doubtful).

Richard
JB may be tempted back into the McLaren if the Honda lump is to be replaced by the Mercedes. Things worked out quite well for him the last time that happened...
Old 12 Jun 2017, 16:32 (Ref:3740563)   #106
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Let's be serious about this for a moment. Is Kubica physically capable of driving an F1 car? Open question, thoughts (ideally informed) please.
The question I would ask, is whether Kubica is capable of getting out of the car in the required time, given his arm injury. As has been said it's one thing testing but to comply with the FIA race regs ??
Old 12 Jun 2017, 16:39 (Ref:3740566)   #107
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
are the race regs vs testing regs in regards to driver fitness/health really that much different?
Old 12 Jun 2017, 17:20 (Ref:3740596)   #108
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
What private testing regs are they then?
Old 12 Jun 2017, 17:47 (Ref:3740611)   #109
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
JB may be tempted back into the McLaren if the Honda lump is to be replaced by the Mercedes. Things worked out quite well for him the last time that happened...
Quite a bit would be required to make that happen. And if that actually happened, why would Alonso leave?

See this article regarding what Jenson thinks about 2018...

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/124...-my-time-in-f1

I suspect the only way we will see Jenson back in the F1 championship is if somehow Alonso walks before the end of the 2017 season. I think the ONLY thing that might tempt him back is a TOP ride. And if that seat was to open up, wouldn't you think Alonso would be first pick?

Richard
Old 12 Jun 2017, 17:51 (Ref:3740614)   #110
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
What private testing regs are they then?
I think this is a rhetorical question, but I believe the answer is... no regulations??? If the car isn't regulated by current testing limits, it's just like any other old race car. You rent a track and then stuff anyone you want inside it.

Richard
Old 12 Jun 2017, 23:04 (Ref:3740696)   #111
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post

The Hamiltons, Vettels, Vestappens and Alonsos all have said Ricciardo is one of the best competitios they have driven with. Alonso even said Ricciardo was the best driver currently on the grid. Credit where credit is due, but to say Ricciardo is not at the same level as the others you mentioned is just daft.
I think it's ultimately a subjective thing. I am not being daft...

Certain drivers stand out constantly, and others do not.

Hamilton stands out in the Mercedes this year. Verstappen in the red bull, Vettel in the Ferrari. I don't feel like I'm clutching at straws when I make those statements. Those drivers have always stood out whether it was Vettel winning Monza in a Toro Rosso. Hamilton was making Alonso go crazy, and Verstappen won on debut with Red bull and the dramatic drive in Brazil. Certain drivers just have a star studded resume of unlikely finishes, dramatic starts, supreme comeback drives and for me those drivers are Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton, Verstappen. It's not a knock on anyone else, just noticing that certain drivers stand out for what they have achieved in the sport more than others.
Old 14 Jun 2017, 11:36 (Ref:3741152)   #112
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I think it's ultimately a subjective thing. I am not being daft...

Certain drivers stand out constantly, and others do not.

Hamilton stands out in the Mercedes this year. Verstappen in the red bull, Vettel in the Ferrari. I don't feel like I'm clutching at straws when I make those statements. Those drivers have always stood out whether it was Vettel winning Monza in a Toro Rosso. Hamilton was making Alonso go crazy, and Verstappen won on debut with Red bull and the dramatic drive in Brazil. Certain drivers just have a star studded resume of unlikely finishes, dramatic starts, supreme comeback drives and for me those drivers are Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton, Verstappen. It's not a knock on anyone else, just noticing that certain drivers stand out for what they have achieved in the sport more than others.
Or putting it another way; drivers who one can see doing something spectacular at any time in any conditions to make something happen?

You see even then some of these stars have off days, and quite big ones!

That's the thing with Alonso. He never seem to have them. Senna never did, Prost never did.

Vettel has to have the car to his tastes to get the max out (he has with this years Ferrari undoubtedly), Hamilton can seem totally lost on occasion and Max, well i'm not sure he's reached his limitations yet.

Even Schumacher at the height of his powers had inexplicable race weekends where he wasn't in the frame (rare I know!)
Old 14 Jun 2017, 11:46 (Ref:3741154)   #113
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Quite a bit would be required to make that happen. And if that actually happened, why would Alonso leave?

See this article regarding what Jenson thinks about 2018...

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/124...-my-time-in-f1

I suspect the only way we will see Jenson back in the F1 championship is if somehow Alonso walks before the end of the 2017 season. I think the ONLY thing that might tempt him back is a TOP ride. And if that seat was to open up, wouldn't you think Alonso would be first pick?

Richard
Richard. If you'd have been watching me when I typed that about JB you would have spotted that at the time I had my tongue pressed firmly in my cheek at the time!
Old 14 Jun 2017, 12:27 (Ref:3741171)   #114
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Richard. If you'd have been watching me when I typed that about JB you would have spotted that at the time I had my tongue pressed firmly in my cheek at the time!
let's face it mate, you were born that way.
Old 14 Jun 2017, 12:59 (Ref:3741180)   #115
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
let's face it mate, you were born that way.
Robert old bean. I think you'll find if you look a little closer it wasn't my tongue, but a silver spoon...
Old 14 Jun 2017, 13:31 (Ref:3741188)   #116
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:

Richard
Old 14 Jun 2017, 15:07 (Ref:3741239)   #117
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Richard
In my experience Richard it is best to ignore the fellow in the hope that he night go away.
Old 14 Jun 2017, 15:09 (Ref:3741240)   #118
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
In my experience Richard it is best to ignore the fellow in the hope that he night go away.
And have I done that yet???
Old 14 Jun 2017, 15:37 (Ref:3741252)   #119
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Autosport reporting that Vijay Mallya is considering changing the name of Force India. A sponsorship proposal is on the table.
Old 14 Jun 2017, 19:37 (Ref:3741354)   #120
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
That's the thing with Alonso. He never seem to have them.
Perhaps not in your mind. I can certainly remember him having a few moments (Fuji 07 was it? Japan 12, Silverstone 11 qually, before the red flags salvaged his dignity, and Brazil 12 when he even held up Marussias - although to his credit these weren't exactly off days in the entirety, but some pretty disastrous few minutes - but also bearing in mind I can hardly remember his early career, when the errors are more likely to have occurred)

Even the greatest make mistakes. Perhaps we tend to only remember what we want to though...
Old 15 Jun 2017, 15:30 (Ref:3741674)   #121
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Fred is one of the few who gives 100% all the time. Apart from some races in 09 and maybe Hockenhein 08, I can't remember him not doing that
Old 15 Jun 2017, 19:39 (Ref:3741870)   #122
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
Perhaps not in your mind. I can certainly remember him having a few moments (Fuji 07 was it? Japan 12, Silverstone 11 qually, before the red flags salvaged his dignity, and Brazil 12 when he even held up Marussias - although to his credit these weren't exactly off days in the entirety, but some pretty disastrous few minutes - but also bearing in mind I can hardly remember his early career, when the errors are more likely to have occurred)

Even the greatest make mistakes. Perhaps we tend to only remember what we want to though...
He crashed a bit early in in the Minardi but he was trying very hard.

The only real off day that i can think of that meant anything (sorry if i appear to dismiss your examples) is the end of 2010. Petrov gate!

But yes i agree no driver is perfect and they cannot be on it all the time but golly Alonso never seems to be restrained by the ability of his car, he always takes it as far as he can go wheras others seem to take it as far as it will go.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 21:37 (Ref:3741993)   #123
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
He crashed a bit early in in the Minardi but he was trying very hard.

The only real off day that i can think of that meant anything (sorry if i appear to dismiss your examples) is the end of 2010. Petrov gate!

But yes i agree no driver is perfect and they cannot be on it all the time but golly Alonso never seems to be restrained by the ability of his car, he always takes it as far as he can go wheras others seem to take it as far as it will go.
That sir! is a fantastic way of summing up different drivers abilities! Well done
Old 15 Jun 2017, 21:45 (Ref:3742008)   #124
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
That sir! is a fantastic way of summing up different drivers abilities! Well done
Thanks chap 😀
Old 16 Jun 2017, 12:20 (Ref:3742182)   #125
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post

I know this is a silly way to compare them, but I remember when ricciardo went on top gear and drove the track in the same dinky car they put all the f1 drivers in. He was over a second faster than all of them, Hamilton included.