Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jan 2005, 14:46 (Ref:1199001)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
More trouble at Silverstone

According to www.grandprix.com there is more trouble a foot at Silverstone, this time within the BRDC.

The board of the British Racing Drivers Club has voted Ray Bellm out of his role as chairman in what appears to be a dispute between Bellm and BRDC president Jackie Stewart over the terms of the contract for the British Grand Prix

It seems that JYS is not as happy with the terms of the deal as first appeared.

But it looks as if they are stuck with it anyway...

Bernie Ecclestone, the man who negotiated the deal for the Formula One group says that he is happy to tear up the contract that Bellm negotiated but he will not offer a new contract to the BRDC.

The news flow regarding Silverstone as been ebbing flowing from positive to negative for the last year or more.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns14078.html
Old 12 Jan 2005, 14:49 (Ref:1199007)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Oh dear, the troubles just won't go away will they? Yet another nail in the BGP coffin when the current deal expires.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 15:53 (Ref:1199048)   #3
ParkLife
Racer

ParkLife should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh Stephen, don't be so dramatic.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 16:20 (Ref:1199061)   #4
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Deal Maker

Bernie is one cool customer. He knows full well the BRDC won't tear up the contract as that would be bye-bye to the Grand Prix. He also doesn't want to have to drop the British Grand Prix BUT he is a shrewd enough cookie to know the simple threat is enough.

The problem is that the BRDC couldn't organise a motor race at a motoring circuit even if they owned one! Oh hang on they do!

The BRDC need to appoint a Director of Events who has the powers to negotiate within given parameters. Then once the deal is done they need to SHUT UP!
Old 12 Jan 2005, 16:33 (Ref:1199070)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This will make absolutely no difference to anything.

They have a five year deal for the British Grand Prix which is intact and will go ahead.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 16:57 (Ref:1199088)   #6
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wonder how pertinent or valid a five year contract will be post the concorde agreement.

No one knows under what exact terms F1 will be run after 2007, they may be more favourable to the circuit owners and promoters. IIRC the BRDC's original offer to FOM was for 2005/2006 and 2007 taking them to the end of the CA, it was allegedly BE that sought a longer deal in his attempt to tie circuits into deals longer than the CA in order to strengthen his case against the GPWC.

All very strange and completely at odds with JYS and Bellms joint announcement of the deal back in December.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=23093

Some news stories on the BRDC/Silverstone debacle last year.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_search.php
Old 12 Jan 2005, 17:20 (Ref:1199101)   #7
Gabrio
Veteran

Gabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought politics in sport were only in Italy....
Old 12 Jan 2005, 17:24 (Ref:1199102)   #8
Dog Faced Boy
Racer

England
Kingston upon Hull,Laaandon Essseeeeeexx
Dog Faced Boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They must have spotted a loophole. Let's hope this wont affect money planned for improvements or that really could be a problem. Book early for your London GP accomodation folks.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 17:57 (Ref:1199124)   #9
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.brdc.co.uk/news.cfm/title.../flag/2/id/208
Old 12 Jan 2005, 17:58 (Ref:1199125)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

The BRDC said today’s announcement does not affect in any way the BRDC’s contract with the FOA securing the British Grand Prix at Silverstone for the next five years.
Very important, that.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 18:34 (Ref:1199160)   #11
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
If it does not in any way effect the contract, why oust the chairman who negotiated it?

Very strange.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 19:20 (Ref:1199217)   #12
Dog Faced Boy
Racer

England
Kingston upon Hull,Laaandon Essseeeeeexx
Dog Faced Boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It may not effect the contract but what about the affording improvements. They may not go any futher than 5 years without it. like I say book early for london
Old 12 Jan 2005, 19:26 (Ref:1199224)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It could also be more to do with Silverstone Estates or other subsidiaries and thus nothing to do with the GP contract itself.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 13:59 (Ref:1199844)   #14
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Ray Bellm reacts to the BRDC's decision.

Silverstone's owner, the British Racing Drivers' Club, has been told that it must wake up to modern commercial reality and change the way it is run, or it risks killing itself off. That is the view of the club's former chairman Ray Bellm who has spoken for the first time following his shock dismissal this week.

I]“Unless the club takes a new direction, it will die,” said Bellm. “What it requires now is the members to galvanise themselves into a revolution and put a president in charge that they believe should be the president. If they turn around and say, ‘Ray, you are wrong, we still think Jackie is the right person', then I will go and play golf.

“If the members believe they want me back as a chairman in the future I would be very happy to serve them. What I am now going to campaign for is that the correct structure is put in place for the organisation of the club, and that the right people are in place to run the business and to lead the club.

“And obviously I do not believe Jackie Stewart is the right person to lead the club after this debacle.”

An unhappy ship it seems. JYS is believed to be unhappy about the contract extending beyond the current F1 concorde agreement, which as we have said before, may mean different or more favourable terms for circuits and promoters.

From www.autosport.com

Last edited by Super Tourer; 13 Jan 2005 at 14:00.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 18:49 (Ref:1200099)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote toinight from Jackie Stewart should help quell a lot of the speculation:

Quote:

I'm not about to try to renegotiate anything at all. That was never discussed. We have a five-year deal, that's a legal document and we're locked into that.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 19:08 (Ref:1200115)   #16
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Without delving into the personal battles that are evident, what Ray Bellm says is true - the BRDC must wake up to the commercial realities of the world it is trying to deal in. Whether he or JYS are better placed to lead that 'awakening' is another matter.

All sounds strangely familiar. Precisely the same battle is ongoing at the Scottish Rugby Union. The 'old farts' burying their heads in the sand seems to be a running theme with sports governing bodies in the UK. And it's the most frustrating thing about being a sports fan.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 19:24 (Ref:1200131)   #17
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
OK girls panic over!

Phew what a relief!

JYS has come to his senses!

Pity about Ray Bellm but he could yet lead a revolt!

What's that I hear you saw the BRDC are revolting enough?
Old 13 Jan 2005, 20:21 (Ref:1200201)   #18
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Part of this may be that the BRDC needs to play an integral part in re-developing Silverstone in order to fund it's future.

Ray Bellm was/is a very successful businessman and I'm sure he has approached the situation with a commercial vision, whilst equally business like in many respects JYS obviously clashes on the 'vision'.

It's change or die versus how much and what changes are needed? (IMO)