Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Apr 2022, 07:40 (Ref:4106613)   #51
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Same with others too. The 1:25 by the winning Camaro was "surprising" and it seems the only one to improve its times since two years ago. My old Rover did 1:29 which it did back in the 72MM so, remains unchanged. It's 25BHP down on the other Rovers because it doesn't have fuel injection.

Was amazed to see how well the Nash Metropolitan ran in the Sopwith Cup.
Nash had an early B series engine?

so a hot rod 2.0 like the Riley one point five.
Old 13 Apr 2022, 09:27 (Ref:4106634)   #52
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
It remains a fantastic show with races mixing pros and talented amateurs driving perfect cars. Unique.
Old 13 Apr 2022, 13:52 (Ref:4106670)   #53
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Wasn't the Beetle pedalled by that Drew fellow from Salvage Hunters?
I don’t remember Beetles ever being that quick, unless fitted with Porsche engines in rally cross!
Old 13 Apr 2022, 16:07 (Ref:4106697)   #54
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I don’t remember Beetles ever being that quick, unless fitted with Porsche engines in rally cross!
Ah yes, I've seen a few of those!
Old 13 Apr 2022, 16:22 (Ref:4106704)   #55
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
It remains a fantastic show with races mixing pros and talented amateurs driving perfect cars. Unique.
And sometimes untalented amateurs
Old 13 Apr 2022, 18:11 (Ref:4106714)   #56
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I remeber a one make cup in Belgium the Beetles having an overbored four cylinder engine. Very fast and rather well balanced. But OK with you, Andy, never seen a 1200 that fast…
Old 13 Apr 2022, 19:10 (Ref:4106724)   #57
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I remeber a one make cup in Belgium the Beetles having an overbored four cylinder engine. Very fast and rather well balanced. But OK with you, Andy, never seen a 1200 that fast…
There was something similar here about 15 years ago or so, ran mainly in the SE ISTR; the “Big Boys Toys” Cup or something, the name coming from the sponsor.
The cars were light and had 2 litre engines I think.
Old 13 Apr 2022, 20:59 (Ref:4106742)   #58
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
There was something similar here about 15 years ago or so, ran mainly in the SE ISTR; the “Big Boys Toys” Cup or something, the name coming from the sponsor.
The cars were light and had 2 litre engines I think.

Was that where an idiot drove his girlfriends Golf through the paddock at Brands and then onto the circuit with his girlfriend in the passenger seat during a race?
Old 13 Apr 2022, 21:23 (Ref:4106745)   #59
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Was that where an idiot drove his girlfriends Golf through the paddock at Brands and then onto the circuit with his girlfriend in the passenger seat during a race?
That was a Fun Cup Endurance race for cars with a spaceframe chassis, GRP silhouette VW Beetle body with a large rear aerofoil and a 1800 cc Audi engine. The Big Boys Toys cars of the 1990s were based on a standard VW Beetle with a 1641 cc engine.
Old 14 Apr 2022, 06:13 (Ref:4106765)   #60
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
That was a Fun Cup Endurance race for cars with a spaceframe chassis, GRP silhouette VW Beetle body with a large rear aerofoil and a 1800 cc Audi engine. The Big Boys Toys cars of the 1990s were based on a standard VW Beetle with a 1641 cc engine.

Thanks for correcting me (no sarcasm intended); all I seemed to remember was seeing Beetles running around on the track when shown on the news.
Old 14 Apr 2022, 07:19 (Ref:4106776)   #61
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Thanks for correcting me (no sarcasm intended); all I seemed to remember was seeing Beetles running around on the track when shown on the news.
Don't worry Mike, no offence intended or taken. With the huge number of one make series that have proliferated over the last few decades, it's easy mix up apparently similar series. The lad himself received all sorts of threats as a result of his actions, including death threats and ended up going to jail.

The Fun Cup is I believe the formula that Gerard was referring to, the highlight of which is a 25 hour race at Spa. However, as far as I know, they have yet to appear at Goodwood!
Old 14 Apr 2022, 07:28 (Ref:4106780)   #62
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
VW Type 4 - 2.0 L

Off the shelf up the road from me to get started. . .
https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/...w-engines.html

still sound like a socket set in a washing machine though.
Old 14 Apr 2022, 07:29 (Ref:4106781)   #63
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
VW Type 4 - 2.0 L
still sound like a socket set in a washing machine though.
Hahahaha love that quip!!!
Old 15 Apr 2022, 08:08 (Ref:4106915)   #64
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Hahahaha love that quip!!!
Presumably the voice of experience talking!