Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 17 Jun 2022, 09:42 (Ref:4116037)   #951
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
BRG alll the way, Its original colour and Arthur likes it. It's his car.
Old 17 Jun 2022, 11:49 (Ref:4116060)   #952
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lucky Arthur. Brilliant he's working on it too. When I was preparing my first Cortina in 1988/89 my son Dan, in his mid teens, worked on it to help. Unfortunately for him it was always 'will you get underneath and hold the spanner on that awkwardly placed nut whilst I tighten the bolt from up here'.
Old 17 Jun 2022, 13:39 (Ref:4116080)   #953
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ok, here's a technical question. If my EV has a capacity of 88Kwh and I run a portable fridge which draws 44Amp how long would it take for my EV battery to expire? Genuine question since I'll probably take it to Le Mans next year. I'm assuming the impact will be pretty similar to running the cabin temp control.
Old 17 Jun 2022, 14:05 (Ref:4116088)   #954
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Ok, here's a technical question. If my EV has a capacity of 88Kwh and I run a portable fridge which draws 44Amp how long would it take for my EV battery to expire? Genuine question since I'll probably take it to Le Mans next year. I'm assuming the impact will be pretty similar to running the cabin temp control.

Theoretically, if the fridge is 12V, then 166 hours.

In reality, it will be less due to voltage conversion, battery management and how much of the full capacity is available.
Old 17 Jun 2022, 14:18 (Ref:4116089)   #955
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well I'd be using the power to drive the car so I guess the impact would be quite small overall perhaps dropping the range by 5%. The 44 Amp is only when the compressor is running. Starting with a full charge I'd need to stop twice on the way there.
Old 17 Jun 2022, 14:27 (Ref:4116094)   #956
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well I'd be using the power to drive the car so I guess the impact would be quite small overall perhaps dropping the range by 5%. The 44 Amp is only when the compressor is running. Starting with a full charge I'd need to stop twice on the way there.
Possibly a daft question but can you get a portable solar panel to drive a trickle charger for the EV or an inverter for the fridge?
Old 17 Jun 2022, 14:31 (Ref:4116097)   #957
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Possibly a daft question but can you get a portable solar panel to drive a trickle charger for the EV or an inverter for the fridge?

Possibly not quite so daft as I noticed only today that Halfords stock and sell small solar panels, so assume they might power the fridge both on the journey and during the stay.
Old 17 Jun 2022, 14:35 (Ref:4116098)   #958
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes you can, they are expensive, but it is an option. I've got two solar powered chargers for phones etc. They are pretty innefficient and you have to charge them up from the mains before they work!
Old 17 Jun 2022, 15:00 (Ref:4116105)   #959
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes you can, they are expensive, but it is an option. I've got two solar powered chargers for phones etc. They are pretty innefficient and you have to charge them up from the mains before they work!
As a rough guide .Halfords portable solar panels will produce 20 W .
Your fridge will draw 520 odd W when running .
So a whole day of good sunshine will only produce half what the fridge uses in an hour .
You would probably be better off with a small portable generator .
Old 17 Jun 2022, 15:05 (Ref:4116107)   #960
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Mach E IIRC?
Very rough calculation -
Assuming a four drive, you'd reduce range by 5-10 miles having the fridge on full current draw.
Old 17 Jun 2022, 15:10 (Ref:4116109)   #961
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes that's actually less than my 5% so not really an issue. It's only so I can smuggle Stilton and local farm steaks in to the EU

On another subject but linked, I've got a thing called a Cobb. It's a kind of bar b cue with a dome lid. You use specially formed fuel (compressed coconut) and it is very efficient. Keeps going for a couple of hours. Last weekend, whilst sitting on the bank at Porsche Curves I saw a bloke cooking three ribs of beef on one!
Old 17 Jun 2022, 15:25 (Ref:4116112)   #962
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
When I first read this Peter I thought Baub had put one of his Pesky Puzzles into the wrong thread!
(Then I realised this his question would have been far more challenging with a few devious twists in it too for good measure).
Old 17 Jun 2022, 15:57 (Ref:4116118)   #963
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
The ribs and other good smells has been reported by several drivers at LM. Seems that even youngsters have a taste!

As to your fridge, Peter, I'd say that for an accurate calculation you must consider the temp when leaving home and the temp you like to read when reachnig Le Mans…
Old 17 Jun 2022, 16:31 (Ref:4116123)   #964
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I visited Chimay today for the first time in yonks & was pleasantly surprised to find that all the Paddock & pit & start-line buildings, such as they are, remain as they were. The armco is a little rusty and unloved-looking though...

I covered the last two race meetings there 15 or so years ago & really enjoyed it.
Old 18 Jun 2022, 05:45 (Ref:4116180)   #965
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I visited Chimay today for the first time in yonks & was pleasantly surprised to find that all the Paddock & pit & start-line buildings, such as they are, remain as they were. The armco is a little rusty and unloved-looking though...

I covered the last two race meetings there 15 or so years ago & really enjoyed it.
Thats good to know, maybe one day they will resurrect an historic race, we had a fabulous weekend there back in 2005.
Old 18 Jun 2022, 05:56 (Ref:4116181)   #966
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For those of you into fancy race transporters, we have our annual Supercars race in Darwin this weekeend, and part of the show is always a parade /convoy of all the rigs through the city. A lot of polishing been going on when you think every truck has done several thousand klms across the Outback to get there.
Quite an impressive display of doubles. Mike would be impressed.

https://youtu.be/fNf5qa40eVw
Old 18 Jun 2022, 07:00 (Ref:4116190)   #967
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Thats good to know, maybe one day they will resurrect an historic race, we had a fabulous weekend there back in 2005.
It would certainly be good to go there again, although Rowan Atkinson might not think so!

I think they still have the odd 'bike event, custom cars etc, but no actual racing.
Old 18 Jun 2022, 14:10 (Ref:4116227)   #968
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Wow, it's a good job that there are some clever people about. Something popped up on my laptop just now saying that in the hot weather we are having ( I don't know where they are but it's 40c down here in Mojacar today) that you should open the car windows to cool the car down ! I didn't know that so I'll give it a try
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 18 Jun 2022, 14:15 (Ref:4116229)   #969
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lucky old you, Gordon, as the heat wave appears to have finished up here on the Pennines and it is a balmy 13 degrees outside at the moment!
Old 18 Jun 2022, 14:33 (Ref:4116235)   #970
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Lucky you, Mike! We read 37 but feel 45 minimum. Even the flies cant fly not mentioning the dogs… OK, they cant fly anyway!
Old 18 Jun 2022, 15:01 (Ref:4116241)   #971
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
The thermometer in my front garden sun-trap read 48 degrees at mid-day, but now the sun has gone round it has slumped back to 37.

Oh well, only another few days & it is downhill all the way to Christmas as the days get shorter...
Old 18 Jun 2022, 15:07 (Ref:4116243)   #972
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Wow, all of these temperatures.
Mind you, I've just checked and it's 90° in the corner of my kitchen!
Old 18 Jun 2022, 15:47 (Ref:4116250)   #973
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
I've never minded the heat, but heat with high humidity is the real killer. For about 10 years I lived a little way north of where Gordon is, and the temperature was regularly between 35 and 40 degrees C for about 4 or 5 months every year. It was considered exceptional cold when it dropped to about 15 degrees in the middle of winter.

The worst I can remember was on one of my trips to Hong Kong in a July in the 80s, and it was in the temp was in the mid 30s but with a humidity of about 95% but not raining. Back then, businessmen were expected to wear jackets and ties when walking around outside, yet the moment they stepped into an office which would always be air-conditioned, making it like being in a refrigerator, they would take their jackets off and roll up the sleeves of their shirts. Which is why I only went there once in July, only going out to the Far East in January, May and October.
Old 18 Jun 2022, 16:40 (Ref:4116254)   #974
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I've never minded the heat, but heat with high humidity is the real killer. For about 10 years I lived a little way north of where Gordon is, and the temperature was regularly between 35 and 40 degrees C for about 4 or 5 months every year. It was considered exceptional cold when it dropped to about 15 degrees in the middle of winter.

The worst I can remember was on one of my trips to Hong Kong in a July in the 80s, and it was in the temp was in the mid 30s but with a humidity of about 95% but not raining. Back then, businessmen were expected to wear jackets and ties when walking around outside, yet the moment they stepped into an office which would always be air-conditioned, making it like being in a refrigerator, they would take their jackets off and roll up the sleeves of their shirts. Which is why I only went there once in July, only going out to the Far East in January, May and October.
You're right Mike, humidity - for me at least - is the real killer. Dry heat not so much of a problem.
Old 18 Jun 2022, 17:06 (Ref:4116259)   #975
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Mind you, I've just checked and it's 90° in the corner of my kitchen!
Dont check twice, you could read 180°… It was too hot in the bathroom to check the humidity which could kill if the bath tube is slippy!
John do you expect the old man in red to visit you using an EV? A Noël tout est permis!
Closed Thread