Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 May 2003, 09:04 (Ref:603197)   #26
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Saturday I spun at Abbey in practice and Sunday Luffield. I am just grateful that I didnt bend it! Saturday improved so the race was quite dry by the end. Where you one of the photographers just after Bridge? If so you were a great refernce point for the start of the turning in for Priory!
Old 19 May 2003, 09:08 (Ref:603199)   #27
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Although I was dreading racing in the rain after my time in Kirkistown and as I am still learning to get to grips with the Eleven I have to say that I really enjoyed it as it is a great leveller and yesterday's race I learnt a lot more about the limits of the car/me!!!!! In a perverse way I hope it will rain next weekend as the GP circuit will highlight the speed difference between the Lister Jaguars etc and us smaller cars in the dry but the wet.....!
Old 19 May 2003, 09:11 (Ref:603203)   #28
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is your race scheduled for the Monday? I assume that Mr Sytner et. all could be in that one too?
Old 19 May 2003, 09:25 (Ref:603219)   #29
simon drabble
Veteran

I forget whether he is down but but I was told yesterday that there are about 40 starters and the same for the pre war and Group c. It should be a great meeting and good practice of the GP circuit for the Historic sposrtcar race at the British GP!!! The BRDC have arranged some great rounds this year. Practice is Sunday morning and the race Monday. The 3 hr GT race is Sunday as well.
Old 19 May 2003, 09:27 (Ref:603224)   #30
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Havent had chance to go through them all yet but found this one this morning, think it was at beckets on the outside.
Bet you didnt realise how steep that corner was.
Bloody think keeps making me cut it down.
Attached Thumbnails
simon.jpg  
Old 19 May 2003, 09:37 (Ref:603235)   #31
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve L
Unfortunately, I could not get to this meeting.

To anyone who went, was the racing good, and who won the major races (Boulogne & Hawthorn Trophies)?

Were any interseting "new" old cars running?!
•Julian Majzub in the Pacey-Hassan won the Boulogne Trophy - no Hispano-Delage to worry about this time.
•Philip Walker (Lotus 16) should have won the Hawthorn Trophy but spun (twice), letting Kenneth White's Cooper-Bristol through to win, with Walker second and Simon Diffey (Connaught B) third. The Hawthorn Spanish GP Trophy race was run with this one, and by placing fourth overall John Ure (ERA) was group winner
•Walker also spun in the '50s sportscar race, which left his Lotus XV to finish second, between the Cooper Monacos of John Harper and Ted Williams. Fourth went to Julian Bronson's Costin Lister, which the programme (and the commentators) thought was Jaguar powered, but sounded to me exactly as it did when it had a Chevy Corvette engine!
•The Connaught which Diffey drove, and which I believe is owned by the Morley brothers, is a "new" one, ostensibly built around a long-lost chassis frame...
Old 19 May 2003, 09:37 (Ref:603236)   #32
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like that one...way cool
Old 19 May 2003, 09:46 (Ref:603242)   #33
simon drabble
Veteran

I think it was Don Shead's first outing in his Allard (and when I was trying to avoid it spinning before Bridge I thought it was potentially the last!!! fortunately there was no contact) a friend said the noise was great! Great photo Brickkicker thanks. When I see photos of the car I can understand why some people ask me when I am going to paint it! It does look "very original" in its current state! Underneath the bodywork I am pleased to say it is now going like a train, I look fwd to when I can do it justice!!
Old 20 May 2003, 08:01 (Ref:604326)   #34
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
You cant paint it Simon . . . it'll never look the same, theres something about an unrestored car that can never be replicated.

we had a good weekend, first outing this year for LLG's Cortina, Q15, Finished 8th and a class win, give the fact it was a new engine, box, cage, bla bla bla . . .not a bad result, I think staying on the oily black bit was an achievement for anyone!
Old 20 May 2003, 08:09 (Ref:604333)   #35
simon drabble
Veteran

curiously the wetter it got the less trouble oil was only to be replaced by cross current of the new rivers!!!!
so you out at Mallory this w/e?
re painting I think priorities on the budget make that low down the list!!!!
Old 20 May 2003, 12:13 (Ref:604594)   #36
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Im hving a weekend of fitting a new engine and clutch in my TVR ready for the blast to LeMans. then moving house as well with any luck the following week, so a few quiet days ahead!
Old 24 May 2003, 16:22 (Ref:608780)   #37
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon, Just rub it down with WD40!

Steve McQueen.
Old 27 May 2003, 15:55 (Ref:611567)   #38
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
or get sponsored by Autosol
Old 27 May 2003, 15:59 (Ref:611573)   #39
simon drabble
Veteran

did you get your TVR operative?
Silverstone was great and hoe Mallory and Donington was as good
Old 28 May 2003, 09:23 (Ref:612236)   #40
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
yep, up and running, started 2nd twist of the key, new(ish) engine, new clutch, and Ive rebuilt the brake callipers . . . just got to fit some new front hoses and Im ready for LeMans