Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 4 Nov 2002, 05:32 (Ref:421167)   #1
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Finally, Real Racing an Oval!

Over the years Cart has had a number of different versions of the Hanford Device producing a variety of races, from all bunched up, IRL-style, winner is there by the luck of the draw, to a 240 mph parade of cars. As Robin Miller points out, and I really have to agree, Cart finally got it right!

This was finally actual RACING, not a bunch of cars driving together a la IRL or Nascar restrictor plate racing, but everyone was driving flat out, to the max for 250 laps, and all the drivers WANTED to lead all the time - something we haven't seen in a while. They didn't just drive around in circles, but there were battles throughout the field, and in the end, it wasn't a draw, but the fastest guy DID win!

Here's Robin Miller's column, he summed it up well:

http://espn.go.com/rpm/cart/2002/1103/1455352.html

To Cart!
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 4 Nov 2002, 06:24 (Ref:421176)   #2
BobbyB
Racer

United States
Santa Barbara, CA, USA
BobbyB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said, Jay. It was a real thriller to watch, wasn't it? Full tilt boogie all the time for every racer. Sort of puts a refreshing taste back into the word "oval" for me. Jimmy really deserved this win.

I attended Fontana last year, but was unable to go this year. Not to worry though, I enjoyed Speed TV's coverage thoroughly as always- they really do a superb job explaining the subtleties that wouldn't be apparent to much of the viewing audience. I hope the same crew is back for more next year!
Old 4 Nov 2002, 11:56 (Ref:421320)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm glad they finally figured out that a race is when everyone is driving as fast as he can in order to win. If we want to see a fuel economy run we'll go to a Saturn picnic.

Super ovals scare me but everyone drove like professionals today and that too is a good sign.

I'm glad this one is behind us though.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 23:14 (Ref:421802)   #4
tcf203
Rookie

tcf203 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You are all as correct as it gets. The IRL produces close finishes because it is just a parade of cars. I'd just rather go to Mardi Gras to see a parade, same with a Nascar race. Lead changes and max speed the whole time, this may have been one of the best oval races in the year 2002, if not the best. Now just figure out the short ovals.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 23:25 (Ref:421810)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know what the fastest speed was that was ever put up at the IRL 500?
Old 5 Nov 2002, 17:54 (Ref:422326)   #6
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I personally also liked the first version of the Handford, when drivers were passing and repassing... And also dominant drivers could leave, just like Papis did.

But I enjoyed it. Great race!
Old 5 Nov 2002, 19:15 (Ref:422407)   #7
JGM
Racer

JGM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as I know the 2002 Marlboro 500 CART race at Fontana, won by Jimmy Vasser in a Lola-Cosworth at an average speed of 197.995MPH, was the fastest circuit race ever held on this planet. The previous fastest race was the 1987 Busch Clash NASCAR sprint race won by Bill Elliot in a Ford Thunderbird at 197.802MPH. A little bit of history.
Old 5 Nov 2002, 19:33 (Ref:422423)   #8
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jordi
I personally also liked the first version of the Handford, when drivers were passing and repassing
Not me. I hated it. False passes, as far as I was concerned. As soon as you had speed, you'd break from the pack, your 'chute would come out, and you'd go backwards back into the pack.

Plus, if you got a lap down, no way were you ever making the lap back. You had to wait for the entire field to come back to you.

That's how Tags was in a position to help Patrick last year at Michigan - he had the speed to break from the pack, but kept falling back into it. So he couldn't get the lap back, and was left circulating with the leaders, but a lap down.

I thought that seeing someone lead multiple laps on a superspeedway was refreshing.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 6 Nov 2002, 05:57 (Ref:422721)   #9
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To answer Liz' question:

At Fontana the fastest qualifying laps are; CART 237.9 vs IRL 221.4 and race laps are; CART 236.3 vs IRL 222.5. But what's 15 mph?

EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Flatspot; 6 Nov 2002 at 06:00.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 18:09 (Ref:423114)   #10
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I disagree, paul. Before everyone noticed that they were wasting fuel and really packed up, in 1999, Max Papis dominated both 500-milers. He got away from the rest of people. If he didn't win was just by luck or better strategies (Fernandez at Fontana that year)
Old 6 Nov 2002, 19:28 (Ref:423176)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Mikey usually blows up at half distance after leading the most laps but he didn't this year. Was that due to this new Hanford device or what?
Old 6 Nov 2002, 19:42 (Ref:423191)   #12
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
As odd as it may sound, running full-rich actually helps to cool the engine! It's a chemical property of the methanol.

The most important thing, on a track where raw horsepower means everything, is that Ford won!