Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 18 May 2006, 09:07 (Ref:1613250)   #1
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Brands GP Loop Viewing.

With the WTCC using the full GP loop of the circuit I'd like to head out into the woods to take a look (and some pictures ), every time I've been to Brands when the full circuit has been in use it's been appalling weather so I haven't wandered out there. The weather looks like being dismal again this weekend but I've decided to take the walk anyway - so the question is - where are the best places to view/take pictures from and what is the fencing like? (high like the outside of Druids or low like the inside of Druids). Thanks
Old 18 May 2006, 09:44 (Ref:1613287)   #2
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fencing is high more or less all the way from Surtees to the bridge at Pilgrims Drop, but after that it's all low and unobtrusive, save for a small section on the inside of Sheene. Towards Clearways there is more catch fencing to contend with.
My advice - take a small set of steps and shoot from the outside of Stirlings as the cars come towards you - it'll be the closest you get to them head on. Then pack the steps away and head off round towards Westfield for some nice scenic shots.

Shame I'll be a Donington this weekend really, would have liked to see the WTCC.......

Have fun, whatever you do

Phil
Old 18 May 2006, 11:41 (Ref:1613381)   #3
McKay
Racer

McKay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If you stand just past the bridge at Pilgrims Drop, you are quite high above the cars, can get some good side-by-side shots.

Standing on the outside of Stirlings can be a bit difficult, there isn't too much ground around there. It is possible though.
Old 18 May 2006, 12:22 (Ref:1613415)   #4
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Thanks for the tips I don't have any steps so that rules that option out but if the fencing is low on most of the loop I'll have a wander and just chance my luck. The weather forecast is now for heavy rain all day Sunday looks like I'll be doing the 'bag on the camera' trick!
Old 19 May 2006, 07:20 (Ref:1614002)   #5
Pigit
Racer

United Kingdom
Bromley Kent
Pigit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bert i'll be down on both days,look out for a short fellow with a D70 attatched to a sigma 120-300 around druids standing on some steps..i'll be there for a little while then i may head off on the GP loop...
Paul.GT.
Old 19 May 2006, 07:59 (Ref:1614020)   #6
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
I'm only going to make it on Sunday but I'll keep an eye out for you (then again with the way the weather's looking I'll be lucky to see anything!)
Old 19 May 2006, 08:57 (Ref:1614056)   #7
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigit
Bert i'll be down on both days,look out for a short fellow with a D70 attatched to a sigma 120-300 around druids standing on some steps..i'll be there for a little while then i may head off on the GP loop...
Paul.GT.
So it was you who i was stood near to at the Dunlop Festival at Brands! I was just wishing i had some kit like yours
Old 19 May 2006, 14:14 (Ref:1614242)   #8
Pigit
Racer

United Kingdom
Bromley Kent
Pigit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could of been Daz you only had to ask you could of had a go of the 120-300..The only problem is you would of wanted to buy one afterwards lol.
Old 19 May 2006, 14:32 (Ref:1614251)   #9
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigit
Could of been Daz you only had to ask you could of had a go of the 120-300..The only problem is you would of wanted to buy one afterwards lol.
I will ask next time! I might be at Brands in 2 weeks for the HSCC meeting so you never know.
Old 22 May 2006, 08:29 (Ref:1616066)   #10
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Well that was a bit wet! Good stuff though and thanks for the ips, I took a walk all the way round the GP Loop (and got the worlds biggest mud shoes in the process!). I ended up taking pictures from the outside of Stirlings for most of the first WTCC before heading back to Druids (inside and outside) for the second race. My camera held up well in the weather (wrapped in its plastic bag) although I might get a bit more advanced next time and tape it up too
Old 22 May 2006, 09:11 (Ref:1616089)   #11
McKay
Racer

A bit wet! It was awful! I saw numerous people slip over walking down and up pilgrims drop on the inside.
Old 22 May 2006, 10:25 (Ref:1616146)   #12
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wasn't there, but that's part of the fun of the GP circuit! You always seem to get muddy....having watched the races on the TV, weather did look awful.
Old 22 May 2006, 10:36 (Ref:1616155)   #13
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
did any of you get a photo of my co driver launching our car on the GP circuit after the propshaft snapped? we were 69, the red Lotus Cortina in the Jack Sears race, pretty annoyong as we had worked our way from the back (handicapping system which although complicated was actually quite well thought out as everyone finished on teh same lap) to 3rd when it happened - thats life I guess!
Old 22 May 2006, 11:12 (Ref:1616175)   #14
McKay
Racer

I have a photo of the 69 car, but that was after the driver got out. At Hawthorns right?
Old 22 May 2006, 11:19 (Ref:1616180)   #15
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay
I have a photo of the 69 car, but that was after the driver got out. At Hawthorns right?
yes - about the furthest point from the paddock!! Its a jinxed corner for us as I had a engine let go in a Lotus Eleven a few years ago at the same corner! I would love to see the photo if you can put it on the link..
Old 22 May 2006, 12:14 (Ref:1616233)   #16
Julio
Racer

United Kingdom
Julio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
Well that was a bit wet! Good stuff though and thanks for the ips, I took a walk all the way round the GP Loop (and got the worlds biggest mud shoes in the process!). I ended up taking pictures from the outside of Stirlings for most of the first WTCC before heading back to Druids (inside and outside) for the second race. My camera held up well in the weather (wrapped in its plastic bag) although I might get a bit more advanced next time and tape it up too
Oh yeah, its that horrible clay soil where once you get some on the bottom of your shoes, more just keeps sticking to it until you end up with a pair of 4" heel platform shoes!

I remember seeing someone on the Eurosport coverage stood on the inside of Druids with a camera wrapped in a plastic bag. Perhaps it was you?
Old 22 May 2006, 14:16 (Ref:1616329)   #17
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio
I remember seeing someone on the Eurosport coverage stood on the inside of Druids with a camera wrapped in a plastic bag. Perhaps it was you?
Possibly, if they looked a total idiot with a waterproof coat, waterproof trousers, mud feet and a plastic bag with a lens poking out - it could well have been me (although there were other people dressed like that too!).