Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 24 Apr 2008, 18:20 (Ref:2185938)   #26
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Haven
a) you don't seem to have completed the Holden version yet... surely it'll take a nice snorty V8

b) where's my WTCC guide, you slacker? Get your nose back to the grindstone - those Ladas won't draw themselves, you know...

c) is Eurosport going to pay

Guide in progress Holden version was an idea, but there is no series in Oz that Holden would run these
Old 24 Apr 2008, 18:52 (Ref:2185967)   #27
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Martin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b
c) is Eurosport going to pay
The usual fee...

Cheque's in the post... like those coupons on McDonald's containers in their Bingo games... nominal value 0.0001p

Don't just blow it all on fast cars and loose women, this time...

Save some for loose cars and fast women
Old 24 Apr 2008, 19:50 (Ref:2186014)   #28
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb
for S2000 do you have to have a 2.0l version of the car you want ot enter, or can you just put a 2.0l engine in it?
There's no 2L version of the Vectra currently on sale, other than turbocharged so it would be the same situation for the Corsa.
Old 24 Apr 2008, 20:25 (Ref:2186034)   #29
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It looks like the Corsa is too small and the Insignia is too big (and homogolation problems). It seems like a UK S2000 Astra could be on the cards.
Old 24 Apr 2008, 20:37 (Ref:2186040)   #30
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I read somewhere that the Corsa was looked at prior to the development of the Vectra. Given that the Insignia is apparently even bigger than the Vectra, a second look at the Corsa probably isn't out of the question
Old 24 Apr 2008, 20:54 (Ref:2186052)   #31
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Vectra and the 320si have shown '3 box cars' can still be competitive, despite hatchback world seemingly being the way.

Another factor, as Martin's mentioned, the brand is sometimes key over the car. Sure they'd like to promote a model in production, but it's not vital if they're more likely to win with the previous model. They ran the Astra Coupé in 2004 despite the fact that the new Astra was out, and preferred to wait and develop the Sport Hatch model rather than the standard hatchback from '05.

The Insignia can't be considered to be much bigger than the 320si I reckon - it looks like it's going for that and the Mondeo market. Though I'd expect them to wait for that new Astra model in 2010 perhaps just to be ordinary?

Love the mock-ups though Andy. Fancy 'DTMing' the OPC? That's where I reckon (by reckon, mean hope!) they'd really put it
Old 24 Apr 2008, 23:08 (Ref:2186123)   #32
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I still wanna see the Saturn version. :P
Old 25 Apr 2008, 06:47 (Ref:2186217)   #33
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
The Insignia can't be considered to be much bigger than the 320si I reckon - it looks like it's going for that and the Mondeo market.
Neither does the 159, but that one was deemed too heavy. To be honest I find the scenario where they run the Vectra for another year in 2009 and follow it up with an Astra in 2010 the most likely.
Old 26 Apr 2008, 13:43 (Ref:2187435)   #34
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that the mock-ups you've posted Andy don't show the full size of the Insignia very well, the angle and style makes them seem smaller. Nice pictures though.

It would be interesting to see works Insignias and private Vectra's in the BTCC next year.
Old 26 Apr 2008, 19:12 (Ref:2187611)   #35
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
the angle was from a picture that Autoblog posted, so its in scale. A livery with logos and colour splits always breaks up the visual bulk of a car, so i think thats what it is.
Old 26 Apr 2008, 20:17 (Ref:2187651)   #36
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b
(its not like SEAT and BMW where multiple chassis are built and sold across EU)
Maybe that's where they are going wrong? Could Triple Eight and Opel Sweden decide to club together to develop one car for 2010 and sell that to customers?
Old 26 Apr 2008, 22:38 (Ref:2187716)   #37
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be about time. I thought it was very odd that Opel Sweden got a engine-break, because otherwise they didn't get their engines to last a race, while in the UK, the same Vauxhall=engines where running reliable and very fast...
Old 27 Apr 2008, 09:26 (Ref:2187891)   #38
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeh, seems a bit like the Peugeot UK vs. Germany situation from the nineties.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 09:57 (Ref:2187917)   #39
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner
It would be about time. I thought it was very odd that Opel Sweden got a engine-break, because otherwise they didn't get their engines to last a race, while in the UK, the same Vauxhall=engines where running reliable and very fast...
Who dictates the branding used in the UK? If it's at GM level, would they consider running Chevrolet instead of Vauxhall to both promote a different brand and utilise the Lacetti?
Old 27 Apr 2008, 10:18 (Ref:2187938)   #40
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel
Yeh, seems a bit like the Peugeot UK vs. Germany situation from the nineties.
Slightly different situation. In the 90's Peugeot Sport refused to supply Peugeot UK, as they were worried about their secrets getting into other hands.

When Opel Sweden brought the Astra from Triple Eight, Triple Eight not only offered to supply engines but pretty much insisted that Opel had to source the engines from them. Opel refused and developed their own engine. From what I've heard the chances of Triple Eight and Opel Sweden ever working together are pretty slim.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 19:48 (Ref:2188507)   #41
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Maybe if GM told Opel Team Sweden, Triple Eight and RML to get together, stop acting like four year olds and develop an Astra for all three series ... It wouldn't half cut development costs!
Old 27 Apr 2008, 20:00 (Ref:2188525)   #42
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
RML and Triple 8 are both developers. They won't work together, they're competitors in the industry.
Old 30 Apr 2008, 08:29 (Ref:2190874)   #43
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't thinks nor wisch that Chevy leaves the WTCC, to make room for Opel. They do a fine job, have some great drivers and a nice car. However that must not stop Opel/Vauxhall to develop a good car to be used in the UK and Sweden and to be sold to privateers anywhere in Europe. A Vectra/Insignia/Astra is a different car then a Lacetti. In the engine-department however some teamwork might be good. It's not that odd to see competitors work together. In the electronics-industrie it happens all the time that competitors work out a standard system together, i.e. blue ray-discs are developed by 94 company's
Old 4 Sep 2008, 15:41 (Ref:2281619)   #44
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Vauxhall rule out diesel move
Vauxhall have ruled out switching to diesel engines for next year's British Touring Car Championship, despite the recent domination of the TDI SEATs.

The newly re-crowned manufacturers' champions have won just one race since the mid-point of the season compared to SEAT's seven, and have seen their Vectras consistently 1-3mph slower through the speed traps at most circuits compared to the Leons.

But despite this, they will remain with petrol units next year, with Vauxhall motorsport chief Mike Nicholson saying that there would be no benefit for the company from switching units.
Full article: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70262

Only question which car? Current Vectra, Astra or the new Insignia?
Old 4 Sep 2008, 18:42 (Ref:2281751)   #45
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't say they'll build a new car. My bets with the vectra for next year.
Old 4 Sep 2008, 18:54 (Ref:2281763)   #46
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb
Doesn't say they'll build a new car. My bets with the vectra for next year.
But what the article does say is that their decisions on the direction they take in motorsport are based on increasing sales of cars. This would indicate that they would probably look at running something else other than the Vectra.

My money would be on the Astra at present.
Old 4 Sep 2008, 19:20 (Ref:2281789)   #47
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think it's fairly likely that they'll stick with the Vectra for one last year, before moving on to the Vectra replacement the Vauxhall Insignia. Given the success they've had with the larger Vectra and not the smaller Astra SH I think it's likely they'll continue to the use the larger car.
Old 5 Sep 2008, 07:22 (Ref:2282058)   #48
Matt_S
Racer

England
Matt_S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ian Harrison earlier in the week:

"We have been looking at next year's car for the last two months, and we have a programme that will start the week after Brands Hatch for next year," he said. "It is a bit of an issue as we are running out of things to modify to make our car better as year on year you make improvements, but as for making the big jump we need to make, I'm not sure we can to be honest. It will be a challenge, but I honestly don't know if it is doable, I really don't.

"We have looked at the diesel route and frankly for Vauxhall, it isn't affordable. Vauxhall do very well in the passenger car market because they are careful about how they spend their money and they run their business very tight. It shows because they do well and are profitable. They can't just start to throw a million pounds at a diesel programme when there should be an equivalency mechanism in the championship which allows everyone to compete against each other whether you are running diesel, petrol, gas or whatever.

"You shouldn't have to go and spend millions of pounds just to compete, it shouldn't be like that."

Source: http://www.crash.net/news_view.asp?i...&cid=10&news=y
Old 8 Sep 2008, 07:32 (Ref:2284363)   #49
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I completely agree with Ian. But Im sure we will see increased limitations on the SEAT TDIs next year to make the grid more close. Currently the BTCC are a lot less strict vs the TDIs than they are in WTCC. It's understandable from the POV that the TDI is new in the BTCC this season (and lack of reliability has showed this...) but they wont be new next season.