Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 11 Mar 2014, 06:24 (Ref:3377323)   #916
trickyd
Racer

trickyd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice View Post
FIA GT 1997, Helsinki, oh the noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwB2kr71XVc
It shows how much motorsport has changed over the last 15-20 years that they would even consider holding a round of an FIA World Championship in Finland, a European country made up predominantly of trees with a small population and no car manufacturer. Nowadays unless you sit on top of an enormous quantity of oil, can claim you are a growing market or are ruled by some despot with deep pockets you don't stand a chance, of course. For that reason alone, I like that video. Its old school in its own way!
Old 11 Mar 2014, 17:08 (Ref:3377483)   #917
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickyd View Post
It shows how much motorsport has changed over the last 15-20 years that they would even consider holding a round of an FIA World Championship in Finland?
Not a rallying fan then I take it?
Old 11 Mar 2014, 17:46 (Ref:3377497)   #918
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Apologies for continuing off topic, but putting my pedants hat on for a minute, while in the 90s Finland couldn't boast a domestic manufacturer of their own, Valmet built Saabs for the world market from the late 60s, and all Porsche Boxster and Cayman models were produced there until 2011. Vauxhall / Opel Calibra, also sundry Talbots and Ladas, and since last year the Mercedes A Class....

Made some cool farm tractors as well, think at one time Juha Kankkunen was sponsored by them!

Old 11 Mar 2014, 18:02 (Ref:3377499)   #919
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
Carbotanium, the only time drivers needed to use clutch back then was starting and on downshifts, the box flat shifted on the upshift.

I think the fact cars look easy to drive is a combination of things, not the least sports biosciences, look at how fit and strong pro drivers today are compared to those years ago....
In the last generation of GT1 cars (DBR9, C6R, S7R, MC12 and on) drivers had to use clutch only during downshifts, I guess we all know that, but I remeber a video about the mclaren f1 gtr where the driver clearly was using the clutch to upshift (after the tetre rouge around 0:54).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBEngMWNZe4

Maybe more recent cars like CLK and 911 GT1 had a more advanced gearbox, this I don't know, but surely that kind of driving was a lot stressfull than now, where drivers don't need to use clutch at all (if not to restart or to use R).
Old 11 Mar 2014, 19:02 (Ref:3377521)   #920
TheDude
Racer

Portugal
Ourem
TheDude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_titanium View Post
In the last generation of GT1 cars (DBR9, C6R, S7R, MC12 and on) drivers had to use clutch only during downshifts, I guess we all know that, but I remeber a video about the mclaren f1 gtr where the driver clearly was using the clutch to upshift (after the tetre rouge around 0:54).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBEngMWNZe4

Maybe more recent cars like CLK and 911 GT1 had a more advanced gearbox, this I don't know, but surely that kind of driving was a lot stressfull than now, where drivers don't need to use clutch at all (if not to restart or to use R).
that's a very ancient car.

I Belive the CLK and the 911 had the sequential gearbox (upshift without clutch) as did the long tail F1 GTR
Old 12 Mar 2014, 06:19 (Ref:3377661)   #921
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!
Goodness me, someone at Magnus Racing had fun here.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/CXJwgC3iuKk
Old 12 Mar 2014, 13:11 (Ref:3377819)   #922
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
The Big Smoke
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well. That was different.
Old 20 Mar 2014, 22:23 (Ref:3382496)   #923
Mac K
Rookie

Canada
Ontario,Canada
Mac K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone recall the awesome Porsche Motorsport ad shown during the first hour of the Sebring 12 Hour this year? I can't find it anywhere..
Old 22 Mar 2014, 21:24 (Ref:3383149)   #924
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Vallelunga 1973

The opening of the 1973 season at Vallelunga had been the first report of a sport-car race I read on a magazine. Souvenir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cci4kKF2K5Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg4xcmoOZqo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6S_JVfGX5Y
Old 27 Mar 2014, 13:24 (Ref:3385157)   #925
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I was surfing Drive's youtube channel and came across this informative look at Audis Customer Sport programme which builds and supports the Audi R8 LMS and its customer. Quite interesting how many production components are used in the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAxDH...miUnWrEktL2Oup
Old 27 Apr 2014, 08:51 (Ref:3398676)   #926
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Porsche keeps doing nice vids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAR6O6FSO4s
Old 27 Apr 2014, 18:44 (Ref:3398886)   #927
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickyd View Post
It shows how much motorsport has changed over the last 15-20 years that they would even consider holding a round of an FIA World Championship in Finland, a European country made up predominantly of trees with a small population and no car manufacturer. Nowadays unless you sit on top of an enormous quantity of oil, can claim you are a growing market or are ruled by some despot with deep pockets you don't stand a chance, of course. For that reason alone, I like that video. Its old school in its own way!
And it's a pity that since then there hasn't been any international track races in Finland. Especially this kind of races which have works teams participating.
Old 28 Apr 2014, 17:21 (Ref:3399278)   #928
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudLightJaguar View Post
And it's a pity that since then there hasn't been any international track races in Finland. Especially this kind of races which have works teams participating.
There were some plans of WTCC race in mid 2000s, but there was no track.

Now there are those one or two modern Grade 2 level tracks in planning/construction phase, so maybe in future.
Old 3 Jun 2014, 01:08 (Ref:3414532)   #929
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Something from Duke archives:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P1QmCswql0
Old 3 Jun 2014, 06:09 (Ref:3414595)   #930
deggis
Veteran

Finland
^ Needs to be corrected though that it's not Bellof but Jochen Mass, still 1985 though.