Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 6 Sep 2013, 03:01 (Ref:3299751)   #1
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
NASCAR Cup Round #26: Federated Auto Parts 400 - Richmond International Raceway

The last race to the Chase for the Cup for the thing...

JAYSKI

This has become the best race of the year for me. Great track, lots of stories, under the lights all in close quarters. It's go time.
Old 6 Sep 2013, 13:00 (Ref:3299880)   #2
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I'm sorry, but this year I can't run the Bet 'Em CupContest. You may copy the format from here.
Old 7 Sep 2013, 13:34 (Ref:3300180)   #3
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
#24 on the pole with the Older Busch sister outside. Keso, Bowyer and Kennseth round out the top 5.

JJ to to the back after a driver change. Hmmmmm, don't read that everyday, but I think he's locked in.

LINEUP

Edit: Mike Bliss goes home.
Old 7 Sep 2013, 15:21 (Ref:3300200)   #4
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With 5 or 6 chase spots up for grabs, who do you think has the most pressure on them tonite?
Old 7 Sep 2013, 22:44 (Ref:3300319)   #5
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
With 5 or 6 chase spots up for grabs, who do you think has the most pressure on them tonite?
I'd say Keso and Gordo, and I hope they both flop this evening.

Won't hold my breath though.
Old 8 Sep 2013, 00:21 (Ref:3300335)   #6
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Whew, 85 laps in, already on "snooze" control. Time for a cigar on the front porch.
Old 8 Sep 2013, 01:24 (Ref:3300343)   #7
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
More than half way through now, and not the excitement I was looking forward to, thus far.
Old 8 Sep 2013, 01:40 (Ref:3300345)   #8
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
How can Indy cars put on such a good race at Richmond and this race is beyond boring. Even the fans at the track seem to be bored wandering the stands, and usually that place is hopping all around the track.
And I know I'm a kid sometimes, but does anyone else snicker and think smurf turd every time they hear the blue deuce?
Old 8 Sep 2013, 02:55 (Ref:3300355)   #9
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not usually a technicality guy but what nascar rule says contact invalidates the leader crossing the line first on a restart?
Old 8 Sep 2013, 03:55 (Ref:3300371)   #10
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Not usually a technicality guy but what nascar rule says contact invalidates the leader crossing the line first on a restart?
It's the rule that as long as someone other than Paul Menard gets an advantage, it stands.
Old 8 Sep 2013, 13:04 (Ref:3300473)   #11
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I didn't get to watch the race but apparently there is some controversy regarding Bowyer's spin which altered the results and helped his teammate into the chase. Thoughts?
Old 8 Sep 2013, 13:38 (Ref:3300483)   #12
canamman
Veteran

United States
Heres a link to the Bowyer subject.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brrgyDs3CfE

A little bit of a Bowyer fan so it hurts a little.
But yeah, that does not look honest. Unfortunately
this will be attached to Bowyer forever. He did have a front
right down however (after the spin).

Newman does not blame the Bowyer caution. He came in the pits leading
and left in 5th or something. He probably could have held on for the
win had he got out in 1st.
Old 8 Sep 2013, 14:59 (Ref:3300518)   #13
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Clint Bowyer should be suspended for the rest of the season and MWR needs a fine that makes their jet fuel penalty back back in 2007 look like a Pizza Boy tip.

Rigging an auto race is about as low as you can go.
Old 8 Sep 2013, 15:19 (Ref:3300536)   #14
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I posted this at another forum on the subject of team orders:

If everyone here complaining about what did/didn't happen thinks that if this is team orders and it's bad for the sport, watch F1, where one driver on each team usually gets preferential treatment in regards to the other driver.

Or, you can watch the FIA WEC--there's no team orders between the Audi drivers/teams. The only team order that they have is the only one that should matter: don't wreck each other. Granted, Audi will probably have the manufacturers' title locked up in the next couple of races and the drivers' title is going to be between their driving squads, but there's no team orders between them.

Briatore in F1 was banned by Mosley, which much of that ban was rescended by Jean Todt (the current FIA president, who was known as Mr Team Orders at Ferrari and was fined $1 million by Mosley for an other team orders controversy), and he brought team orders back to F1. Why Piquet Jr is in NASCAR is because he came out and admitted Renault's dirty laundry and was seen by the F1 community as a rat or stool pigeon.

I doubt that NASCAR will do anything after the fact as far as this being team orders, because there's no rule in the NASCAR rule book that bans team orders. All the teams will eventually play the card--I'd expect Brad to help Joey out when he can, I'd expect Jeff to help Jimmie, Kasey or Jr out when he can, I'd expect Ricky to help Carl and Greg out, etc, etc.

If anything, blame the Chase system, as it if anything can foster even more of the team orders BS, especially if a team has an entry that's out of the chase or soon finds one of it's entries out of contention. Just be glad for sponsors wanting their driver to do what they can to win--that's the only reason why there's not more team orders in NASCAR.

It'll be interesting to see what NASCAR may do if they can determine what Clint did was intentional to benefit Martin, but unless it was like Jr. at Bristol about a decade ago where he was told to spin out, there's probably not much that NASCAR can do aside from coming up with a neigh-high impossible to enforce team orders ban.

And to add, with all of this being said, Gordon and Newman had 25 other weeks to win or finish better than they did. If Ryan had run better earlier in the year, and if Jeff did the same, they'd have made it in on being top 10 in points. Brad didn't run well much of this year, and he's on the outside looking in now. Relying on wildcards or banzi, hail Mary runs at Richmond except as last resorts to make up for an inconsistent season rarely works.

And, sadly, most of these teams once the Chase starts show why they squeaked in by the skin of their teeth. Tony and Brad in '11 were the only notable exceptions recently.
Old 8 Sep 2013, 15:28 (Ref:3300544)   #15
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It turns out that NASCAR themselves believe that the spin was not intentional.

Quote:
Did Bowyer spin out on purpose at Richmond? As questions swirled around #15-Clint Bowyer's late-race spin at Richmond International Raceway on Saturday night  an incident that altered the Chase for the Sprint Cup field with a caution  NASCAR said it did not believe Bowyer did anything intentional. "Not at all," Sprint Cup Series director John Darby told USA TODAY Sports. "Although we watch it  we make a point of mentioning it in the drivers' meeting and everything  I don't think anybody realistically believes that was the case with the 15 car." Bowyer's spin with seven laps remaining fell under scrutiny because it happened by himself  though #88-Dale Earnhardt Jr. was in the proximity  and ultimately helped Michael Waltrip Racing teammate #56-Martin Truex Jr. make the Chase. "He just spun right out," Earnhardt said afterward. "That's the craziest thing I ever saw. & He was hemming around on the brakes and jerking the car around, and then the thing just spun out. It was crazy. I don't know what was going on."
"I think we had something going wrong," Bowyer said after the race. "I had so much wheel, by the time I got to the gas, he was underneath me. I spun out. I know it's a lot of fun for you guys to write a lot of wacky things. Go ahead if you want to. Get creative. But don't look too much into it."(see full story at the USA Today)(9-8-2013)
Old 8 Sep 2013, 15:38 (Ref:3300548)   #16
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
If everyone here complaining about what did/didn't happen thinks that if this is team orders and it's bad for the sport, watch F1, where one driver on each team usually gets preferential treatment in regards to the other driver.
It doesn't matter what happens in F1 or any other series. This is NASCAR and as far as I can remember, team orders have rarely been an issue. I think something like an intention spin could start a very bad trend.

Quote:
I doubt that NASCAR will do anything after the fact as far as this being team orders, because there's no rule in the NASCAR rule book that bans team orders. All the teams will eventually play the card--I'd expect Brad to help Joey out when he can, I'd expect Jeff to help Jimmie, Kasey or Jr out when he can, I'd expect Ricky to help Carl and Greg out, etc, etc.
NASCAR won't do anything because they want to bury this story and hope everyone forgets about it. There is a difference between teammates helping each other on the race track and a driver intentionally sabotaging a race.

Quote:
And to add, with all of this being said, Gordon and Newman had 25 other weeks to win or finish better than they did. If Ryan had run better earlier in the year, and if Jeff did the same, they'd have made it in on being top 10 in points. Brad didn't run well much of this year, and he's on the outside looking in now. Relying on wildcards or banzi, hail Mary runs at Richmond except as last resorts to make up for an inconsistent season rarely works.
Truex had 25 other weeks to guarantee a spot in the chase yet it took a last ditch effort by his teammate to give him a chance. Sorry, but saying Gordon and Newman had 25 other weeks is a weak reason for losing their spots in the chase.
Old 8 Sep 2013, 16:11 (Ref:3300559)   #17
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
But yet people complain about team orders in NASCAR like it's never happened before. Remember drivers pulling over to let a team mate lead a lap? Or anything else that can be construed as team mates helping each other or team orders?

NASCAR themselves say--at least publicly--that they don't feel that the spin was intentional. Whether or not they mean that or they hope that the issue will fade away is up to the opinion of the reader. I can personally care less because I don't have a dog in any of these fights.

My point that Gordon and Newman having to rely on what they did at Richmond to make it in was a hail Mary move, and those rarely work. They had 25 other weeks to secure a wildcard or get in the top 10 in points. So did Truex, so did Brad. To go on the offensive to make up for an inconsistent season because of the chase is a gamble, and one that didn't work for them. Granted, Logano and Kurt Busch made it in by getting into the top 10 my getting hot at the right time. But they began their run into this a month ago.

Relying on trying to get something at Richmond or a couple of weeks before hand IMO is too much of a risk.

And if one doesn't like team orders, don't watch F1, and I also wouldn't be watching NASCAR for the next 10 weeks, either. I say watch the WEC where there's not team orders between the two Audi teams--which, granted, it's that way because everything that is to be won is essentially theirs for the taking. Whether or not that's boring is also up to the opinion of the reader.
Old 8 Sep 2013, 16:24 (Ref:3300573)   #18
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
I saw the yahoo article about controversy at the end of the race and having actually watched it (yeah, was that little on last night here) the only controversy I could think of was Edwards (I think) getting ahead of Menard on the final restart before the line. Apparently Nascar made some claim about contact before the line invalidating the rule to the ABC guys. Having seen the spin live and a few replays after the race it looked more natural than an intentional spin, looked like a guy getting into it a little early in a corner I had heard plenty of onboards completely off the throttle through the corner and until they straightened up. It felt to me like people were reaching for controversy to make the race more interesting than anything real, especially that clean a spin on old tires.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 03:06 (Ref:3300782)   #19
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
looks to me like he was catching the guys in front, so was obviously pushing hard (unless the lapped car was holding up the bunch in front?).
Old 9 Sep 2013, 04:48 (Ref:3300804)   #20
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
UPDATE: Nascar is now reviewing the Bowyer and (maybe) the restart incidents.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 06:43 (Ref:3300835)   #21
hotlavaaaa
Rookie

hotlavaaaa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is no reason why Boywer needs to know that Newman was going to win when he was running 15th. And then the weird questions about his arm and the heat inside the car. It is all way too suspicious. The situation happens that knocks your teammate out of the chase and two laps later you just happen to spin out. If this doesn't fit into NASCAR's "Actions detrimental to stock car racing" section of the rule book then I don't know what does.

This is way beyond being team orders. It wasn't Clint Boywer being ahead of Truex in the race and giving up a spot to him. It was MWR manipulating the running of the race. If I was Ryan Newman I would make it my mission to wreck Boywer and Truex until they take him off the track. If NASCAR won't send the message then maybe the drivers will have to do it for them.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 10:53 (Ref:3300934)   #22
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
"is your arm starting to hurt? I bet it's hot in there. Itch it"

Old 10 Sep 2013, 01:11 (Ref:3301279)   #23
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Action has been taken, according to espn. And Newman replaces Truex in the chase!
Old 10 Sep 2013, 01:12 (Ref:3301280)   #24
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Apparently Nascar has caved to the desire to create controversy.
Truex out of Chase-Newman in, MWR fined 300k, team operations manager suspended indefinitely.
Old 10 Sep 2013, 01:30 (Ref:3301284)   #25
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mikey is going to be crying like they found rocket fuel in his Toyota at Daytona.

Clint Boyer is the new Nelson Piquet Jr.

Boggity.