Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 20 Oct 2014, 17:00 (Ref:3466836)   #51
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotkot View Post
Nah, Haxhiu was only successful in his local, Swiss championships, he never entered the international scene like Verstappen did. That doesn't mean he isn't good though, he can be the next big Swiss talent. Should improve a lot next year.
But he beat the likes of Hokfelt Jr and Droux in karting, and those guys have got the measure of him this season, or at least they did until Jerez. Haxhiu was certainly talked of as one to watch pre-season...
Old 20 Oct 2014, 18:30 (Ref:3466866)   #52
Rf1 Fan
Veteran

Rf1 Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
I was amazed that RBR even put him back into it for a 3rd season this season in GP3, and again he's shown us that he's the best British driver in single seaters bar JB and Mr Hamilton. I personally think Mr Marko underrates his abilities. He's a step above Gasly, and was faster than Sainz Jr at the end of the 2012 British F3 season. Of course, this is all speculative...
I struggle to see why Lynn would be a step above Gasly.

Gasly has only 80 races of car racing behind him and was running in 2.0 , 12 months ago while Lynn has over 160 races of car racing. They both have a very good record in international single seater racing.

Gasly is lacking a bit of cutting edge right now but there is room for improvement.
Old 20 Oct 2014, 18:36 (Ref:3466871)   #53
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Then Gasly could improve beyond the level of Lynn. Imo Lynn is a better driver right now, but drivers do improve and obviously as you say Gasly has less experience, so has more potential he hasn't reached than Lynn.
Old 20 Oct 2014, 18:43 (Ref:3466873)   #54
Rf1 Fan
Veteran

Rf1 Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Then Gasly could improve beyond the level of Lynn. Imo Lynn is a better driver right now, but drivers do improve and obviously as you say Gasly has less experience, so has more potential he hasn't reached than Lynn.
i think that lynn will get the second seat at Toro rosso.

I wouldn't be suprised to see him featured in Sport Und Talk TV show on Servus TV , one week before Abu Dhabi GP
Old 20 Oct 2014, 21:18 (Ref:3466928)   #55
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I tell you who else could still make an impact if the cards fall right:

Dean Stoneman.

He has re-established his reputation with his GP3 seasom as a bit of an underdog and If he can get into a 3.5 or GP2 squad I have a feeling he could do very well?
Old 21 Oct 2014, 19:34 (Ref:3467159)   #56
jobdone
Racer

jobdone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I tell you who else could still make an impact if the cards fall right:

Dean Stoneman.

He has re-established his reputation with his GP3 seasom as a bit of an underdog and If he can get into a 3.5 or GP2 squad I have a feeling he could do very well?
Stoneman's is a remarkable story and I'd be delighted to see him step up another level. And, he's already driven, and performed well, in an F1 car.

Lynn is deserving of the Toro Rosso seat, but I reckon that's destined for Sainz Jr...
Old 26 Oct 2014, 18:58 (Ref:3468777)   #57
WSR Fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
WSR Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobdone View Post
George Russell is meant to be very hotly tipped, and expected to move into cars this year.
And what a first year in cars he's had:

BRDC F4 champion
Won final race of Eurocup FR2.0 season at Jerez
Fourth place in FR2.0 Alps standings

I will admit I don't know too much about him, but that record is very impressive indeed - and he's also in the running for the McLaren Autosport award too. Hopefully he can get a full-time seat in Eurocup FR2.0 for next season.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 19:04 (Ref:3468785)   #58
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Russell is a very good talent, but that must also say a lot about the likes of Fielding (Italian F4 winner in guest outings), Hyman and Maini, Russell's title rivals.

Lasse Sorensen had wrapped up the French F4 crown last weekend but scored another win this weekend. Valentin Moineault also scored a lights to flag win in R2. He'll probably step up into Alps next season and do a good job.

Enaam Ahmed is expected to enter MSA Formula next season to provide Norris and Mitchell with some competition.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 19:26 (Ref:3468794)   #59
kotkot
Racer

Hungary
Budapest
kotkot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't remember anyone mentioning James Munro, who was one of the best newcomers in Toyota Racing Series in January, and he recently took the Formula Masters China title in a convincing manner.
Of course we are yet to see if he is as good as Evans or Stanaway, but really promising.

Also, coming from the same region we have Anton de Pasquale who won Formula Renault 1.6 NEC and Joseph Mawson, who was the second best karting graduate in French F4 after Boccolacci. Both of them should enter the Formula Renault 2.0 level next year.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 19:58 (Ref:3468803)   #60
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSR Fan View Post
And what a first year in cars he's had:

BRDC F4 champion
Won final race of Eurocup FR2.0 season at Jerez
Fourth place in FR2.0 Alps standings
A further, slightly random fact, is that he also got a second place in a Citroen 2CV race at Oulton and beat Ben Barnicoat in the process.

I do think that George Russell has been very impressive this year. It'll be interesting to see how he develops over the next couple of years.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 20:17 (Ref:3468813)   #61
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mawson and Boccolacci are two crash kids if you ever wanted them imo. Both could've/should've challenged Sørensen for the title but seemed to think hitting other cars/barriers/spinning around was more constructive. Whilst I think both could really become top racers in the future they'll have to learn consistency and patience before they get further than FR2.0 imo.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 20:32 (Ref:3468819)   #62
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it's boccolacci's first year in cars, give him a break...!
Old 26 Oct 2014, 21:21 (Ref:3468835)   #63
kotkot
Racer

Hungary
Budapest
kotkot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, you can't really call anyone a crash kid in his first year. They are learning, they will surely improve.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 23:15 (Ref:3468876)   #64
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
They enjoyed throwing their cars around a lot more than the rest of the field. Matevos Isaakyan knew exactly where to place his car last season, and that was his first in cars. Shades of Villeneuve maybe? Or Maldonado? Time will tell...
Old 23 Dec 2014, 07:33 (Ref:3487337)   #65
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Anton de Pasquale to race in FR Eurocup next season with Korainen. Korainen will also run F4 Sudamericana champion Bruno Baptista, who is only 17, in Alps next season. Hopefully he can make a successful transfer to Europe, Brazil needs more potential F1 stars and this guy looks the best bet since Nasr.
Old 22 Nov 2015, 16:11 (Ref:3592421)   #66
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Thought, yet again, I'd resurrect this thread and give an overview of 2015.

GP2 is, of course, the stepping stone into F1 (unless you're a Red Bull junior ), and 2015 has continued the resurgence of the series. This time, the champion has been utterly dominant, having only non-scored in 1 race (9th, with the top 8 scoring), and this man is, of course, Stoffel Vandoorne. The young Belgian took his form from the back end of 2014, which saw him fly up to the runner-up spot, and refine it, making him the most complete junior driver outside of F1 for many, many years. Keeping him honest at many rounds has been Alex Rossi, who's recently been combining his GP2 efforts with a Manor F1 drive. He has finally come of age, but it's taken too long imo. Rossi himself is still fighting for the runner-up spot, with the final round still to go, although, as impressive as Rio Haryanto and Sergey Sirotkin (still only 20) have been, it's unlikely they'll beat the American.

The best of the rest are quite obvious, with outgoing GP3 champ Alex Lynn, 2014 FR3.5 runner-up Pierre Gasly and Ferrari junior Raffaelle Marciello going strongly, as well as Mitch Evans. But also watch out for Vandoorne's ART teammate Nobuharu Matsushita. The outgoing Japanese F3 champ has been amazingly on the pace throughout the season, winning races (yes he's at ART alongside Vandoorne, but still...) and looks like he could well be a title contender next season.

FR3.5 has been about one man really. Olly Rowland came in as title favourite, dominated the season (certainly the second half), claimed the record number of wins in a season, and became champion. He even got an MP car onto the front row of the GP2 race at Spa! His only real rival was Lotus junior Mathieu Vaxiviere, who too deserves at least a good GP2 seat for next season. Also impressing in FR3.5 were Nyck de Vries, another McLaren junior, and fellow rookie Egor Orudzhev, who, if he stays, will surely be a title favourite.

There are only 2 names worth mentioning from GP3. They are 2pts apart at the top of the standings with only 1 round left. Luca Ghiotto and Esteban Ocon have been dominant. They've hammered the likes of Emil Bernstorff and Marvin Kirchhofer over the course of a season comprehensively, and, with Ocon looking likely for DTM as a Merc junior, it'd be nice to see Ghiotto get a GP2 run with a good team. Nobody saw this form coming, and it's there to be capitalised! I personally feel that, should Alex Palou ever have luck on his side, he could well be worth watching too.

There are around 15 drivers from this seasons' European F3 field I could mention, but I'll just mention Felix Rosenqvist, Antonio Giovinazzi and Charles Leclerc, with Jake Dennis thrown in there too. Not happy? How about Lance Stroll (superbly fast once he remembered to drive with his eyes), George Russell, Alex Albon, Mikkel Jensen, Maxi Gunther and one of the surprises of the season, Sergio Sette Camara? Still not happy? Well...

Similarly, the 2015 Formula Renault Eurocup had a fair amount of talent, but realistically it's the top 6 of Jack Aitken, Louis Déletraz (confirmed for F3.5V8 next season!), Kevin Jorg, Ben Barnicoat, Anthoine Hubert and Jake Hughes who are the ones to watch. Isaakyan could be too, and from other FR2.0 categories, Max Defourny, Harrison Scott, Martin Kodric, Jehan Daruvala and Thiago Vivacqua could be good next season.

How long will this post be? Here are some Formula 4 drivers to extend it! Will Palmer (BRDC F4 champ), Marvin Dienst (ADAC F4 champ), Niko Kari (SMP F4 champ), Ralf Aron (Italian F4 champ), Valentin Moineault (French F4 champ), Lando Norris (MSAF champ). Other non-champs to watch imo are Omar Ismail (BRDC F4), Joey Mawson (ADAC F4), Sacha Fenestraz (French F4), Guan Yu Zhou (Italian F4), Ricky Collard, Colton Herta (MSAF).

2 other names to watch, one from Ginetta Juniors, the other from Pro Mazda, are Jamie Caroline and Santiago Urrutia

*sigh of relief*

Anything else to add???
Old 22 Nov 2015, 22:13 (Ref:3592486)   #67
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah I agree about Rossi, too little too late. He's had a single pole and 3 wins this season. Sure it's netted him2nd in points, but only because of consistency and a lack of consistency from others who should have been higher in points (Lynne, Gasly, Evans, Marciello, Pic). After two years in Renault 3.5 and four years now in Gp2, he hasn't really done enough to get a F1 seat.

Haryanto surprise of the season. Either he's suddenly come of age, or he's just had a very good car this season and used it to maximum effect, while Pic's been having a bad one. I'm not convinced of his talent. Like Rossi, too many seasons in the midfield, this is now his 4th season in Gp2. He'll likely be elsewhere in 2016.

Sirotkin, I never really looked at him as a big contender, more of a decent pay-driver, but he's surprised me this year. Then again, he is with Rapax and I think Rapax has suffered with some poorer drivers in the last few years - Visoui, Trummer, Hobbs, even Coletti. Get a good driver in that team and they can be title contenders. But third in your first season is very good, and he's always in the top 10.

Evans; I think Evans in the next best driver in Gp2 after Vandoorne. Unfortunately, he's had some bad luck. He should have won 2-3 races in 2013 in the Arden, which by that point was a backmarker. Binder, Negrao, even Nato haven't been anywhere near the speed Evans had in 2013.

2014 joins a new Russian Time, not the team it was in 2013, and is a consistent top 5, wins 2 races, but RT had some big reliability issues that year.

2015 should have been a title contender, but again RT just couldn't set the car up early in the season. He sits 5th in points, only 19 behind 3rd. But what you've got to remember is he has more DNS/retirements than all 4 drivers combined ahead in points. Those are technical issues, not crashes. You have to go back to Matsushita in 9th and King in 12th to find another driver with as many retirements as Evans. That RT car has been unreliable, poorly setup, junk. They finally got it working well by Spa and just about all his season points have come in the last 4 rounds, apart from Russia where he was fast but had issues in quali which ruined his weekend. 3 podiums and 2 wins in 8 races is the kind of results Evans should have been having all season. It wouldn't have been enough to beat Vandoorne, but frankly Vandoorne has the best car this year. The 1-2 in Bahrain further supports that. With Dams struggling all season with tyres, even Racing Engineering with tyres at times as well, Art have been well out front.

And I really don't put much into Matsushita's skill, he's been obliterated by Vandoorne. 316-68 points? He won't be a title contender next year, imo.

I will look forward to seeing Ghiotti, Ocon and Rowland in Gp2 next year.

The other Gp3 drivers year two drivers Bernstorff, Kirchhöfer, Eriksson should have been in the title fight but they've been massively ecclipsed by the two rookies above.

Could Ocon be at Art next year, or Dams? That'll be a tough combination. If Rowland ends up at Status, he'll be forgotten about. Don't know where Ghiotti is testing, maybe Trident? You'd think he'd be fast there, but Marciello has seems to indicate they've been slow this year.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 18:59 (Ref:3592744)   #68
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Anything else to add???
Dan Ticktum.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 19:58 (Ref:3592757)   #69
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
I haven't added him, Sandy Mitchell or Enaam Ahmed because they haven't truly stood out. Ticktum was without a doubt the fastest of the karting rookies in MSAF but could be a bit more than maniacal.
Old 24 Nov 2015, 08:54 (Ref:3592935)   #70
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk View Post
Dan Ticktum.
Will be a challenge now he has no licence until 2017 at the earliest!
Old 24 Nov 2015, 19:23 (Ref:3593069)   #71
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Will be a challenge now he has no licence until 2017 at the earliest!
September next year as it happens, also not banned from testing, he is only 16 so as long as he learns from it he could/should still have a top career in front of him. I also think he was arguably the fastest driver in the field on his day let alone the karting rookies, add to that he certainly had more than his fair share of miserable mechanical luck on occasion.
Old 24 Nov 2015, 22:54 (Ref:3593126)   #72
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought you needed a MSA Nat. B licence as a minimum for testing on a circuit test day, and if he's not allowed one until end of September 2016, so how can he go testing?

"passed 13 yellow flags, four double-yellow flags, two white flags and 15 safety-car boards to catch back up to his rival during the safety-car period" - whilst that may be true, but won't the rest of the pack have done the same?

Its the overtaking 10 people under yellows and crashing into a rival that is the thing that he's being punished for.
Old 25 Nov 2015, 08:00 (Ref:3593185)   #73
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
That's what he passed whilst overtaking the field and hitting Collard I assume. MSA may be clamping down but the ban is completely justifiable Imo.
Old 25 Nov 2015, 09:19 (Ref:3593198)   #74
jodi
Racer

United Kingdom
Northants
jodi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He hasn't left a positive impression on his reputation, who is going to want to sponsor a kid that deliberately goes out to crash into another driver out of rage? umm... nobody
Old 27 Nov 2015, 15:33 (Ref:3593680)   #75
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Attention to Sacha Fenestraz, ¿our next Argentinian hope? He did great in the last post-season Euro FR 2.0 testings. The two days in the top five.