Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 17 Mar 2014, 08:44 (Ref:3380969)   #26
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One of the better races at Bristol in recent years. Nice to see Edwards back in victory lane and also seeing the Petty cars having solid runs.

Going to keep my expectations low for next week though, even though Logano and Hamlin put on a great battle for the win last year (spoiled, of course, by Hamlin's injury).
Old 17 Mar 2014, 09:44 (Ref:3380984)   #27
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
R.Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
One of the better races at Bristol in recent years. Nice to see Edwards back in victory lane and also seeing the Petty cars having solid runs.

Going to keep my expectations low for next week though, even though Logano and Hamlin put on a great battle for the win last year (spoiled, of course, by Hamlin's injury).
Best race of the season, so far, IMO. Odd finish at the end, caution lights came on as a result of human error. Someone on the flag stand accidently hit they switch, it was reported on Jayski's. It had no effect on the finish and might have actually prevented a big accident, since the rain very suddenly came down, hard, a few seconds afterward. I agree about Fontana, next weekend, I'll keep my expections low, as that track usually produces less than exciting races. Last year's was good, but it might have been a fluke. We'll see.
Old 17 Mar 2014, 21:39 (Ref:3381249)   #28
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
NASCAR Episode 2014: Mother Nature Strikes Back
Old 23 Mar 2014, 22:06 (Ref:3383447)   #29
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Come on Jeff!
Old 23 Mar 2014, 22:13 (Ref:3383448)   #30
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ridiculous tyre situation, has a certain Italian manufacturer been in contact with Goodyear?
Old 23 Mar 2014, 22:27 (Ref:3383452)   #31
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wow, from the leader of the race to 13th.
Old 23 Mar 2014, 23:03 (Ref:3383458)   #32
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sooo frustrating, Ambrose does a tyre & finishes 30th & Bowyer does a tyre, brings out the caution & finishes 16th... Not forgetting Johnson & Keselowski either whose races turned to poo aswell!
Exciting finish tho, both Kyle's where flying - I reckon everyone is liking Kyle Larson
Old 24 Mar 2014, 01:47 (Ref:3383485)   #33
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That tri oval track produces great racing compared to say Atl or Charlotte.
All my favorites had a good weekend.
Old 24 Mar 2014, 02:07 (Ref:3383487)   #34
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.jayski.com/stats/2014/pdf...014results.pdf

Look at the results. I am amazed at the quality of the teams for the most part. Even the smaller teams have been competitive. At Auto Club, some of those teams got surprising results, including a certain green car sponsored by a website really stepping it up O.o Too bad we can't say the same about the NNS, where the performance of most teams have no hope of matching the big guys.

BTW, Auto Club was a sellout for the Cup Race. Great times for that track.

Last edited by MJ_N_09; 24 Mar 2014 at 02:23.
Old 24 Mar 2014, 02:32 (Ref:3383490)   #35
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Great performances from Larson this weekend. Great battling and surprises all the way.
Old 24 Mar 2014, 02:42 (Ref:3383494)   #36
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That was one of the most serious tire situations I've seen in Nascar, and it didn't seem to be a big deal... I thought that was odd. 17 in one race is nuts.
Old 24 Mar 2014, 08:11 (Ref:3383535)   #37
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good race, especially for being a Sprint Cup race at Fontana. The tire issues certainly helped make it exciting and unpredictable though - and those restarts, wow. Crazy.

I hope they keep the surface for several more years - the rougher the better (well, almost anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_N_09 View Post
BTW, Auto Club was a sellout for the Cup Race. Great times for that track.
They cut down seating capacity for this year's race, from around 90k to 68k. Last year they had a crowd of 85k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
That was one of the most serious tire situations I've seen in Nascar, and it didn't seem to be a big deal... I thought that was odd. 17 in one race is nuts.
I think the infamous Coca-Cola 600 a couple of years ago had worse issues, with the difference that NASCAR threw cautions all the time (if I remember correctly, anyhow).

I think the reason there haven't been a bigger backlash (that I've seen anyhow) about the tires is because the teams probably are well aware they were on the ragged edge when it comes to the setup of the car. Goodyear stated, after practice, that several teams had been cutting it (way too) close and it seems they kept at it during the race.
Old 24 Mar 2014, 13:05 (Ref:3383605)   #38
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post

I think the infamous Coca-Cola 600 a couple of years ago had worse issues, with the difference that NASCAR threw cautions all the time (if I remember correctly, anyhow).

I think the reason there haven't been a bigger backlash (that I've seen anyhow) about the tires is because the teams probably are well aware they were on the ragged edge when it comes to the setup of the car. Goodyear stated, after practice, that several teams had been cutting it (way too) close and it seems they kept at it during the race.
I was wondering if that was the issue. I could see the sidewalls flexing on TV well into each stint. They were lucky that it was the right side tires and not the left or there would be many more serious incidents.
Old 24 Mar 2014, 15:42 (Ref:3383651)   #39
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Wow. I hope he'll be allright...

Quote:
Hamlin to be further evaluated this week: #11-Denny Hamlin remained in a local hospital Sunday afternoon undergoing a CT scan to see what may be causing severe headaches and vision problems his Joe Gibbs Racing team confirmed. Sam Hornish Jr. substituted behind the wheel of the #11 FedEx Toyota in Sunday's Auto Club 400 because in the hour before the green flag dropped NASCAR did not medically clear Hamlin to compete. "We do (go forward assuming Denny will be back next week.)," his crew chief Darian Grubb said after the race. "But it's going to be touch and go for right now obviously with him still in the hospital getting a CT Scan. Last I heard the vision was getting worse and the pain was getting worse so we're just going to wait and see what happens. Hopefully we'll get some good news this afternoon." Before the race, JGR President J.D. Gibbs said initially the team thought it was a sinus infection that was causing the headaches and vision issues. But Grubb said it soon became apparent, it may be more serious. "For him to go the infield care center, for one thing, it must have been pretty bad for him," Grubb said. "Then it got to where he couldn't see and was having trouble with vision in his left eye with all the pressure that was going on. At that point, NASCAR did some testing and knew he could not follow the finger going by his eyes as he should have been so they knew at that point,they weren't going to let him go. It wasn't just a headache, it was more serious than that. That's why they're doing the CT Scan now. He had them on the whole time and was just holding his head, it hurt him so bad. You could tell by the look on his face he was really worried." Team owner Joe Gibbs confirmed that Hamlin left the track immediately before the race started and that by late afternoon "they are still running tests. It will be later on before we get results."(NASCAR.com)(3-24-2014)
JGR Statement: Joe Gibbs Racing driver Denny Hamlin was not medically cleared in today's NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Auto Club Speedway because of a sinus infection that affected his vision. Hamlin was taken to a local hospital near the race track for additional evaluation and released. He will be further evaluated this week in Charlotte.(Joe Gibbs Racing)(3-24-2014)
Old 24 Mar 2014, 17:25 (Ref:3383683)   #40
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
I was wondering if that was the issue. I could see the sidewalls flexing on TV well into each stint. They were lucky that it was the right side tires and not the left or there would be many more serious incidents.
Of course I meant this the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_N_09 View Post
Wow. I hope he'll be allright...
I second that as it sounds pretty serious.
Old 24 Mar 2014, 23:11 (Ref:3383854)   #41
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For what its worth :

On the tire issues, the more common consensus on NASACAR XM
today was that the teams were pushing the camber setups to the limits
since NASCAR has given the teams a little more latitude regarding
that part of the setup. Not too much finger pointing at Goodyear.
One driver even admitted as much.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 22:26 (Ref:3384837)   #42
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Denny had some metal in his eye: http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/s...e-gibbs-racing

Mandatory safety glasses in the garage area?
Old 27 Mar 2014, 20:33 (Ref:3385298)   #43
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Denny had some metal in his eye: http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/s...e-gibbs-racing

Mandatory safety glasses in the garage area?
That's messed up, but at the same time I'm glad to hear it was something they could put their finger on and fix rather than some weird sinus infection or what not.
Old 28 Mar 2014, 01:54 (Ref:3385399)   #44
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I dug to try to find something, and quickly lost interest. I believe it was Dale Jr that got something in his eye during a racing at Atlanta and was motoring around with one eye mostly useless. Then he described the removal of the object: "they had to use one of them squeegee deals."
Old 30 Mar 2014, 13:01 (Ref:3386580)   #45
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not sure anyone cares, but there is a race today, at a track like no other.

http://www.jayski.com/news/races/201...SCAR-Race-Info

The King won a clock or two at the paperclip. Sure Lynda spent a minute or two in victory lane....
Old 30 Mar 2014, 19:12 (Ref:3386754)   #46
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
I care, I'm watching it, but haven't had time lately to get on these boards until now.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 20:50 (Ref:3386797)   #47
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2 Petty cars in the top 6 again with 20 to go
Old 30 Mar 2014, 22:07 (Ref:3386831)   #48
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
So 2 top 5 finishes for Ambrose in the 1st 6 races & no television interviews - Stanley/Dewalt must be happy with that!

Good to see Kurt win, I enjoyed that race
Old 31 Mar 2014, 01:05 (Ref:3386888)   #49
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
I'll have to give one of my least favorite drivers some props. I enjoyed the "#1 salute" given to Kurt B and the other "appreciation" shown to him after the pitroad contact, but didn't really any effect, apparently.

Couldn't watch it all, but enjoyed the bits that I saw. Martinsville is a cool track and is what NASCAR is all about.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 02:01 (Ref:3386897)   #50
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Standings after Martinsville:

1. Dale Earnhardt Jr (Chevrolet), 227
2. Matt Kenseth (Toyota), 218
3. Carl Edwards (Ford), 217
4. Jeff Gordon (Chevrolet), 216
5. Jimmie Johnson (Chevrolet), 209
6. Kyle Busch (Toyota), 189
7. Brad Keselowski (Ford), 188
8. Joey Logano (Ford), 187
9. Austin Dillon (Chevrolet), 179
10. Ryan Newman (Chevrolet), 174
11. Paul Menard (Chevrolet), 168
12. Denny Hamlin (Toyota), 165
13. Brian Vickers (Toyota), 165
14. Marcos Ambrose (Ford), 162
15. Tony Stewart (Chevrolet), 154

Kurt Busch is 20th and Kevin Harvick is 25th, but both are almost guaranteed to enter the Chase...