Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Oct 2012, 08:56 (Ref:3147479)   #76
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
I don't believe you could sit on your hands and do nothing while watching someone suffer from a smoking related illness knowing that their addiction started at a time when they were nothing more than an impressionable teenager.

And the evidence for a correlation there between motor racing's tobacco advertising and teenagers staring smoking? Sorry, I agree with all you say about how terrible it is and I understand not permitting tobacco sponsorship now, but to make that retrospective is nonsense. If governments want to avoid being hypocritical, they should ban all alcohol sponsorship, from my daily life I see a world in a total mess because no-one can do anything these days without pouring alcohol inside them - before, during and after.....
Old 7 Oct 2012, 09:25 (Ref:3147494)   #77
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was under the impression that Triple 8 chose not to completely emulate the design.
Old 7 Oct 2012, 09:28 (Ref:3147496)   #78
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
I was under the impression that Triple 8 chose not to completely emulate the design.
If so, how retarded. Either put the effort in, or dont bother!
Old 7 Oct 2012, 09:36 (Ref:3147497)   #79
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it may be related to some of the charities they support. Which is fair enough.
Old 7 Oct 2012, 09:48 (Ref:3147501)   #80
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
You people are being too precious........honestly, all this fuss over some blurred out tobacco signage on the side of a racecar.
You could say "you are being too precious" about practically any thread round here. It is only motorsport. However, as this is a dedicated site to motorsport, it strikes me that it is as relevant a thread as any others.
Old 7 Oct 2012, 10:33 (Ref:3147518)   #81
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You people are being too precious........honestly, all this fuss over some blurred out tobacco signage on the side of a racecar.
precious or not, you can't change history (which is what they seem to be trying to do)

Does Rugby League, when recalling their competition from 1982-1995, just refer to it as "The Cup"? Of course not...they still refer to it as the 'Winfield Cup'
Old 7 Oct 2012, 10:45 (Ref:3147521)   #82
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
I agree It's against the law and will cost Channel 7 alot of money in fines, thats it.

but It would certainly look much better to see brocks old livery again in theT888, then the one they ran during the weekend, it didn't look good imo. maybe thats why people didnt like seeing channel 7 doing what they did.
Old 7 Oct 2012, 15:15 (Ref:3147621)   #83
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

We're being precious.......?

I give up. We clearly do have a selection of planets to live on.

I guess different opinions are a good thing....
Old 7 Oct 2012, 15:47 (Ref:3147647)   #84
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Except if your opinion is too, er, precious.
Old 7 Oct 2012, 16:10 (Ref:3147660)   #85
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
You mean as in 'worth it's weight in gold'? In that case I agree all my opinions are definitely precious.....
Old 7 Oct 2012, 19:24 (Ref:3147781)   #86
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
precious or not, you can't change history (which is what they seem to be trying to do)

Does Rugby League, when recalling their competition from 1982-1995, just refer to it as "The Cup"? Of course not...they still refer to it as the 'Winfield Cup'
History can't be changed, it already happened so how can anyone change it?......and the cars haven't been touched, they are as they were.
Old 7 Oct 2012, 19:25 (Ref:3147783)   #87
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Except on film, it now seems....
Old 7 Oct 2012, 21:13 (Ref:3147842)   #88
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Probably yes....
Old 7 Oct 2012, 21:14 (Ref:3147843)   #89
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
I agree It's against the law and will cost Channel 7 alot of money in fines, thats it.
What law?

I am not aware of any law that requires the removal of cigarette logos from historical footage.

7 Mate regularly shows historic WRC Rallies and none of the cigarette logos are removed. They recently showed the 1970's F1 documentaries - full of cigarette sponsorship.

V8 Extra, only two weeks ago showed similar footage with logos removed.

Channel Seven's recent Footy Marathon showed plenty of cigarette advertising on the fences around the grounds.

And aren't the old B&H World Series Cup matches on regular rotation on Foxtel? No blurring of the B&H logos either.
Old 7 Oct 2012, 21:51 (Ref:3147874)   #90
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As far as I know, historic racing cars got an exemption from the law.
Old 7 Oct 2012, 22:47 (Ref:3147897)   #91
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
What law?

I am not aware of any law that requires the removal of cigarette logos from historical footage.

7 Mate regularly shows historic WRC Rallies and none of the cigarette logos are removed. They recently showed the 1970's F1 documentaries - full of cigarette sponsorship.

V8 Extra, only two weeks ago showed similar footage with logos removed.

Channel Seven's recent Footy Marathon showed plenty of cigarette advertising on the fences around the grounds.

And aren't the old B&H World Series Cup matches on regular rotation on Foxtel? No blurring of the B&H logos either.
I dunno what that is sry, I don't work for Channel 7, so maybe you could go ask them lol.

but its under the Tobacco advertising act. rule 14.2.6.22
Old 7 Oct 2012, 22:49 (Ref:3147899)   #92
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Except on film, it now seems....
Well, go and buy the DVD and you can watch it all you want.
Old 7 Oct 2012, 23:09 (Ref:3147906)   #93
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok so the people who are whinging at Ch7 need to retract and redirect their anger at V8SC TV. They are the ones that cut the footage and Ch7 merely re-broadcasts. This may be why you see vision of other disciplines shown with advertising (someone mentioned historic rally).
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
As far as I know, historic racing cars got an exemption from the law.
not quite, Grp A & C cars had to have their logos removed/covered for a race at the Australian F1 this year. Shown by Ch10

Quote:
Originally Posted by St00ge View Post
I have already built a bridge, you guys are welcome to use it or just build your own to get over it...
what is the capital of Assyria?
Old 8 Oct 2012, 00:42 (Ref:3147937)   #94
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Perhaps if we are criticising what is, and what isn't acceptable for sponsorship in motorsport on health grounds we should look at the statistical health records more closely.
It would seem on population wide basis that the greatest statistical risk for lifestyle illnesses is owning and using an automobile. The greater the per capita ownership of cars seems to link very closely with obesity, diabetes, stroke and heart disease.
Should we touch out the manufacturer badging on historic race footage on that basis?
Old 8 Oct 2012, 00:58 (Ref:3147941)   #95
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here in NZ, we got the full and unfudged version which tends to hint that the fudging was done post-production.

It was all a bit interesting and a great piece of motorsport history, cancerous branding aside.
Old 8 Oct 2012, 09:47 (Ref:3148089)   #96
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have a Blu-Ray copy of Blade Runner and the slip cover artwork has got Sean Young smoking, plus in the film there is various times where cigarette advertising is seen in the background. (Maybe bio-engineered humanoid robots are exempt from anti-tobacco laws because after all Nexus 6 Replicants are designed to live for 4 years)
Old 9 Oct 2012, 06:33 (Ref:3148663)   #97
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It will be interesting to see where all this is going. Common sense has gone out the window. If the powers that be, deem it necessary for us to not see cigarette company logo's on historic race cars, are we now going to have all movies and TV series with the stars faces blurred, so we won't see them smoking? Apparently tobacco companies pay big bucks into Hollywood productions to have their main characters smoking, which in turn is supposed to influence their target market. Whether it works or not I don't know, but that type of marketing seems to be an area they should be concentrating on before the PC BS we saw on the weekend.
The most recent Australian production that featured this was the Kerry Packer story where most of the main characters were seen smoking throughout the entire show.
Old 10 Oct 2012, 08:04 (Ref:3149233)   #98
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
???????

As an ex smoker, I thought the blocking out in this old footage of the "Sponsors" of the day some of the silliest editing ever.

Yes, smoking is bad ( that's why I give them up)
Yes, we should discourage anyone from taking it up

However, I highly doubt seeing the Malborough Holden Dealer team, the Craven mild Gricey mobile, the JPS BMW of Jim Richards of Moffs Camel falcon in some classic old footage is going to entice any new habit makers or sell any extra ciggys...
Old 10 Oct 2012, 09:55 (Ref:3149288)   #99
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
havent smoked for ten years, but after the weekend i had to try one. two packs in now.

Back to the hypnotist tomorrow
Old 10 Oct 2012, 10:43 (Ref:3149322)   #100
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil View Post
As an ex smoker, I thought the blocking out in this old footage of the "Sponsors" of the day some of the silliest editing ever.

Yes, smoking is bad ( that's why I give them up)
Yes, we should discourage anyone from taking it up

However, I highly doubt seeing the Malborough Holden Dealer team, the Craven mild Gricey mobile, the JPS BMW of Jim Richards of Moffs Camel falcon in some classic old footage is going to entice any new habit makers or sell any extra ciggys...
As exactly as exactly is gonna get.....