Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Feb 2019, 19:51 (Ref:3884466)   #776
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
You appear to have (deliberately?) overlooked the point that private industry directors actually create something of tangible value whereas EU bureaucrats create nothing of value whatsoever.
And in that connection one has to look at the earlier observation about projects "funded" by the EU. It's a bureuacracy not a creator.

Firstly the EU by itself, and so far as I know, does not generate and cash. It collects cash from member states takes a cut to pay itself and then redistributes some of the take back to teh member states. A few get back more than they put in. Others less than they put in - for a number of reasons not the least is that the EU management have taken a cut.

So in some countries the projects "funded" by the EU where probably funded by the country itself but taking into account the admin charge it would have cost more.

In addition the country will have taken that money as an "assistance" to their economy. Because it was available and so added to GDP in some way rather than because it was a worthwhile project. Hence empty roads and unused and even unfinished airports in Spain. Just a couple of examples - there must be many more.

Now they are only doing what "governments" do - but to have 2 National level sets of bureaucrats and politicians using the same pot of tax geld to promote their own vanity projects is hardly likely to be an effective use of available funds. Or rather - available tax take.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 20:05 (Ref:3884469)   #777
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post

But here's a list of some items:
roaming charges has been mentioned and is possibly trivial,
workers rights (paid annual leave, maternity leave, sickness rights etc.) which are taken for granted. We had those before, one can make a case that recent changes have moved the balance too far in the employee's favour.
Erasmus for education, arguably just a jolly abroad and a brainwashing exercise
investment in research/universities etc, not if one is a net giver to the EU, could do more on our own
medicines, improvements in healthcare and the environment,
cheaper flights, how has the EU claimed to do this?
healthcare while you are in another eu country, is the EU really needed to to create/maintain EHIC?
lower prices for booze, rather goes against the aim of improved healthcare
safety, d/k
food labelling, d/k
EU wide patent & copyright protection, saves doing it in each country but hardly earth-shattering
lack of wars, Balkans? Ireland/NI? Turkey/Kurds, Ukraine? Basques? Corsica? Cod? EU ineffective and unecessary with UN and NATO

From a UK standpoint very unconvincing
Old 15 Feb 2019, 20:35 (Ref:3884473)   #778
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Why would anyone moderately competent wish to take a less certain career in politics? Unless they were avid narcissists or control freaks.

A question that has often puzzled me.......along with why so many of our politicians are so avidly supporting remaining in the EU, the chief objective of which, under "ever-closer union" is to render national governments increasingly irrelevant..........
Old 15 Feb 2019, 22:09 (Ref:3884491)   #779
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
A question that has often puzzled me.......along with why so many of our politicians are so avidly supporting remaining in the EU, the chief objective of which, under "ever-closer union" is to render national governments increasingly irrelevant..........
Perhaps because for the time being they can appear to have responsibility and power without having to have the skills to deploy either of them?

Plus the money is not bad if you factor in pensions and stuff and the opportunity to make 'contacts' for life after politics.

Better in the EU bureaucracies though, especially if you get to a senior grade.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 22:38 (Ref:3884496)   #780
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I give up. All we've done is rehash the referendum. What can we do in the sunlit uplands?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 15 Feb 2019, 23:29 (Ref:3884504)   #781
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I give up. All we've done is rehash the referendum. What can we do in the sunlit uplands?

We won't know until after something happens - and that may or may not be the 29th March.

I suspect it was always going to be like that.

Maybe Viva's other half could come up with some special bakes to commemorate the moment.

How about a Brexit Fudge cake?

Or some sort of Dover Mess dessert?

Hard Cheese Pie?

In other thoughts ...

Perhaps the final terms of the deal (whether it has substance or not) could be settled by some sort of urinating contest as I seem to recall reading in a novel in the 60s. (The Carpetbaggers, Harold Robbins - should anyone be interested, though the term pre-dates the novel.).

It would seem to be a suitable approach to the shambles since nothing else is likely to make any better sense.
Old 16 Feb 2019, 01:21 (Ref:3884525)   #782
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You appear to have (deliberately?) overlooked the point that private industry directors actually create something of tangible value whereas EU bureaucrats create nothing of value whatsoever.

Agreed, MGD. And, directors who fail (except for those who work for banks) are generally sacked.
Old 16 Feb 2019, 08:38 (Ref:3884558)   #783
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
A very special tax rate applies , Grant, and the list of 'allowances' goes on and on. Peter M suggests he is on an equal with many CEO's, and Captains of Industry, but what does he produce?

I love the videos on UTube of Juncker staggering around drunk as a lord, even while 'on-duty' so to speak, so I guess the wine is free - in more ways than one.
So at least we agree that EU salaries aren't tax free?

I don't think many of the CEO's captains of industry actually do any producing themselves either.
Old 16 Feb 2019, 09:33 (Ref:3884564)   #784
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you're ordering a Porsche in the UK you'll potentially need to stump up an extra 10% Brexit surcharge now:

https://www.theguardian.com/business...exit-surcharge

Luckily the Guardian has explained what 10% on top of £46,000 is.

Last edited by gary396; 16 Feb 2019 at 09:33. Reason: typo
Old 16 Feb 2019, 09:42 (Ref:3884568)   #785
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Cheap at half the price.
Old 16 Feb 2019, 09:44 (Ref:3884569)   #786
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
No problem- I’ve cancelled my order...

Maybe something British made by a British owned company instead. Oh, hang on.....
Old 16 Feb 2019, 13:00 (Ref:3884600)   #787
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
No problem- I’ve cancelled my order...

Maybe something British made by a British owned company instead. Oh, hang on.....
Well my Daf truck was built in England although Leyland Daf is American owned so we're half there, or maybe a third.
Old 16 Feb 2019, 13:11 (Ref:3884602)   #788
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Not good enough! The challenge is British made by British owned....

I thought Lotus but of course they’re Geely. BUT think I’m safe with a Morgan....
Old 16 Feb 2019, 14:29 (Ref:3884611)   #789
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
So at least we agree that EU salaries aren't tax free?

I don't think many of the CEO's captains of industry actually do any producing themselves either.

I have a pal who works for an EU offshoot in Germany who tells me his salary is tax free. 6 figures, paid in euros. In terms of the grade scale for the organisation he's somewhere in the middle grades. His job is to run IT projects.
Old 16 Feb 2019, 14:36 (Ref:3884613)   #790
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Not good enough! The challenge is British made by British owned....

I thought Lotus but of course they’re Geely. BUT think I’m safe with a Morgan....

Hmm.

This gets tricky.

I use photo editing software developed by a Danish operation that is currently owned by a British based investment company.

The software is freely downloadable for trials but usage is time limited unless on buys an activation key - basically a code of the type I guess we are all familiar with.

So would one have to pay extra duties for the string of characters?
Old 16 Feb 2019, 14:44 (Ref:3884615)   #791
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
My wife has just informed me that there'll be no more Belgian buns if we crash out, looks like I may have to settle for buns from Chelsea from April onwards
Old 16 Feb 2019, 20:21 (Ref:3884672)   #792
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I see BMI are blaming Brexit uncertainty for their demise.....

Old 16 Feb 2019, 20:53 (Ref:3884679)   #793
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Body Mass Index?
Old 16 Feb 2019, 21:10 (Ref:3884681)   #794
midgetman
Veteran

BBC News - Airline Flybmi ceases operations
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47267901

Old 16 Feb 2019, 21:39 (Ref:3884685)   #795
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
It was dead or dying last year.
Old 16 Feb 2019, 22:26 (Ref:3884691)   #796
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I see BMI are blaming Brexit uncertainty for their demise.....

A good excuse isn't, one which will be used frequently for many many years to come, after all you can't really wheel out the Thatcher cop-out any more can you.
Old 16 Feb 2019, 22:42 (Ref:3884692)   #797
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
It was dead or dying last year.

I thought that was Flybe.
Old 16 Feb 2019, 23:06 (Ref:3884697)   #798
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Nope
Old 17 Feb 2019, 00:02 (Ref:3884702)   #799
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I thought that was Flybe.
flybe is close to 10 times the size of bmi and is attractive enough to be currently subject to a takeover bid from Virgin group.
Old 17 Feb 2019, 00:24 (Ref:3884709)   #800
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
flybe is close to 10 times the size of bmi and is attractive enough to be currently subject to a takeover bid from Virgin group.

Yes, but at the back end of last year they were reported to be having some difficulties - hence the takeover bid from Virgin who might get some extra landing slots on the cheap. Somewhere.