Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Dec 2013, 13:47 (Ref:3346617)   #1
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sochi circuit, what do you think?

I am afraid that this will become Abu Dhabi 2.0. I just looked at the pictures of the circuit and the map. Only now I realized that this is a street circuit. It's really built to go around buildings that already exist in a marina. The map shows too many 90 degree turns and (this is not clear yet) the run-off areas may be kind of small. The speed will be relatively low and overtaking opportunities pretty scarce. What do you think?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sochi_I...Street_Circuit
Old 21 Dec 2013, 21:22 (Ref:3346772)   #2
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like a discount Monaco/Singapore.
2 and 14 look like the only place for any consistent overtaking.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 22:26 (Ref:3346795)   #3
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This might help a little with the scale of the track, thanks to the latest Google Earth image and a bit of My Tracks Designs know how.

**T11 might turn closer with a short straight to the join the curve where I've marked 12.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sochi so far.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	902.1 KB
ID:	41823

Remember My Track Designs is the place for those tracks you always find yourself doodling, and for showing the world the modifications to circuits that you've always wanted to make.
Old 22 Dec 2013, 01:51 (Ref:3346820)   #4
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
This might help a little with the scale of the track, thanks to the latest Google Earth image and a bit of My Tracks Designs know how.

**T11 might turn closer with a short straight to the join the curve where I've marked 12.

Attachment 41823

Remember My Track Designs is the place for those tracks you always find yourself doodling, and for showing the world the modifications to circuits that you've always wanted to make.

That long constant radius curve around the stadium should limit the Pirelli tyres to about a lap a set. 80 pit stops in a race - cool!
Old 30 Dec 2013, 20:17 (Ref:3349006)   #5
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sochi is the Russian hope to be in the F1 world for 2014, hopefully the city will be remembered for sporting events next year (with the Winter Olympics in the fringe).
Old 31 Dec 2013, 01:32 (Ref:3349070)   #6
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
A good Karting track....
Old 20 Feb 2014, 01:10 (Ref:3370236)   #7
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Google Earth has updated again

This time we can see recognisable buildings for the pits and the outline of the track at that end, giving a scale to the whole thing.

Name:	complete.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	877.0 KB
ID:	42019

Is it just me or is that paddock tiny??

** I've just noticed Formula1.com has a different pit entry point to the one I've drawn. They have it before the penultimate corner with the lane running parallel just inside the final corners...if anything that makes the paddock even smaller still !

Looking over amongst the ice-rinks it looks like they have already put track markings in place, the run off areas have been designed in and can easily be seen the even have marked out where kerbs will go (I assume they won't install them until after the Games).

Name:	Sochi circuit1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	42020

What it also shows is that the track is pretty tight to itself in places. There isn't much room between the outside of the runoff and the outer wall of the Long left hander

Name:	Sochi Circuit 2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	42021

I think it might end up racing more of Albert Park or Valencia Harbour, rather than a Singapore or Monaco.