Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 16 May 2004, 15:05 (Ref:972575)   #1
Pierre
Rookie

Pierre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula 5000

Please, no more Formula 5000'S in historics. They were excellent to view as a spectator in their day , but the left over examples today are way to dangerous for the spectators, drivers & the pitcrews. These are decaying dinasores of yesteryear ,they should be left to gather dust in museaums ,which is where they belong. We really have to look at safety ,especialy in old racing cars ,long past their useby date...Not enough is being in the area of safety in historic's ,just have a look at the condition of some these cars when they roll up to the circuit and where are the scrutineers, both machinery and safety ?????? when we need them. We also have to look at the competincy of the persons preparing these cars for competition !!!!!!!!!! REGARDS ,PIERRE
Old 16 May 2004, 19:54 (Ref:972751)   #2
Steve Holmes
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Steve Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I assume you're kidding?
Old 16 May 2004, 20:25 (Ref:972767)   #3
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Surely he is joking.
Has he seen Simon Hadfield's restoration of the Hexagon Trojan T101? Beautiful, professional and still very quick, but no more dangerous than any other single seater out there.
The circuits too are far safer than they were, everywhere that F5000s race, gravel traps etc. Safer than ever.
Keep them racing to remind ourselves how bland some of the modern single seater racing is.
Had a bad day Pierre?
Old 16 May 2004, 20:59 (Ref:972784)   #4
Ted Walker
Veteran

Ted Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am lost for words !!!! This must be a wind up. If not should someone be vetting these threads before they appear !!!
Old 16 May 2004, 22:16 (Ref:972847)   #5
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree - he has to be joking. They were often dangerous in their day but are probably far bettered prepared now.
Old 17 May 2004, 04:50 (Ref:972963)   #6
Pierre
Rookie

I am not kiding on this one. Just look at past drivers of the era, whom are now inflicted with the LOLA limp ,just have a look at the USA and AUSTRALIA for examples. The FIA historic COMMISION & all sanctioning bodies or organisations should be addressing this problem ,and it is not the so called PROFESSIONAL preparers i am aiming at,but the home handy person doing their preparation of which there are many around this world.The "PROFESIONALS" are still carrying out work that is causing DNF'S and accidents much to everyones dislike....
Old 17 May 2004, 04:59 (Ref:972964)   #7
Pierre
Rookie

By the way i have not got any grudge to bear on this subject, i am talking through many years of profesional experiance in this field of preparation.......
Old 17 May 2004, 07:35 (Ref:973023)   #8
Steve Holmes
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Steve Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F5000s are now better prepared, more reliable, and better built for historic racing than they ever were during their 'day'. Not only that, in historic events they are not driven nearly as aggresively as they were by the professionals who originally campaigned them.

The current drivers race them for fun, to enjoy the cars for what they are, and to provide a much appreciated spectacle for enthusiastic punters. I can't think of any cases in historic events where the cars have threatened the lives of their drivers, pitcrew, or any spectators. In this world of political correctness, and insurance claims, no race organiser would allow any form of race class that could result in death or injury. They'd be out of business overnight.

I was too young to remember the F5000s in the 70's, but thanks to a large number of very enthusiastic F5000 car owners, and the advent of historic race meetings, I at least get to enjoy them the second time around. An F5000, like any historic race car, is one thousand times more beautiful driven at speed, than it is gathering cobwebs in a museum.

Fortunately Pierre, you seem to have the minority vote this time.
Old 17 May 2004, 07:48 (Ref:973032)   #9
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I take your point about badly prepped cars in teh slower leagues but I think that given the running costs and speeds of F5000 those racing them have very professional preppers.
Old 18 May 2004, 07:33 (Ref:974065)   #10
Formula 5000
Rookie

Formula 5000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pierre we all have opinions. It would seem though that Formula 5000's are very popular and all crowds appreciate them. Accidents seem extremely rare.

There is some danger in all forms of sport but to deny the current generation, and my generation, any form of historic motorsport would seem sacrilegious.
Old 23 May 2004, 10:34 (Ref:979563)   #11
A. C. E. motors
Rookie

England
Leicestershire UK
A. C. E. motors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pierre what is your problem? You do not get any support from me.
F5000’s are a fantastic spectacle to watch, and the preparation of them is excellent!
The sound and the feel of them as they race past is brilliant.
What motor sports fan could not enjoy seeing these cars race?
Thankfully, we are seeing them in more races; HSCC and The Force provide great races for F5000’s.
What driver injuries have happened in F5000 cars in the last 5 years?
Old 23 May 2004, 19:37 (Ref:980302)   #12
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally posted by Pierre
By the way i have not got any grudge to bear on this subject, i am talking through many years of profesional experiance in this field of preparation.......
Pierre:
Whether or not you have proffesional connections in your post has seemed to become irrelevant as your posts, in all the differetnt subjects, casts you as nothing more than a Troll.

If someone or something in motorracing has rained on your parade, go deal with the one. Right now you sound like a pouting child having a tantrum.

You are being negative for the simple reason of being negative.
Any damned fool can be against anything at any time as one does not have to have a reason to be against something, but one has to have reasons to support anything.

Go troll along somewhere else.
Bob
Old 25 May 2004, 01:05 (Ref:982053)   #13
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pierre, your argument could be applied to any historic category, why single out F5000?
Old 26 May 2004, 06:03 (Ref:983407)   #14
thatorangething
Rookie

thatorangething should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont encourage him, he'll start on the rest of us! For me, the sight and sound of Simon Hadfield's fantastic display at Donington a few weeks ago will stay with me for a long time. Anyone who considers themself a racer, but wants to stop F5000 must have their credibility drawn in to question. Any remark is only worth as much as the person making that remark. Lets hear it Pierre, who are you to judge the likes of Simon Hadfield?
Old 26 May 2004, 11:06 (Ref:983695)   #15
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sacrilege!!

Quote:
Originally posted by thatorangething
Dont encourage him, he'll start on the rest of us!
Criticising F5000!!!

Can we all just ignore his numerous inflammatory posts?
Old 26 May 2004, 13:40 (Ref:983865)   #16
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can I just remind people that whatever you think of a poster's opinion, that is all you can call into question. Personal attacks on the poster are OUT.

I don't want to be closing threads here.
Old 27 May 2004, 03:23 (Ref:984642)   #17
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Solly!

Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
Can I just remind people that whatever you think of a poster's opinion, that is all you can call into question. Personal attacks on the poster are OUT.

I get a little passionate!!!!

Please don't close any F5000 threads, we might never get em back!!
Slinksaway suitably chastened........
Old 27 May 2004, 07:23 (Ref:984750)   #18
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally posted by TimD

I should have used more poignant and less insulting terms, but his posts are of classic troll format and I have been reading and posting on enough forums and live chats, to know them well.
If he has a specific point, make it. He did not, he used generalisms and false apology.
I have spoken with quite a few motorsport pros, on the phone and face to face, in my time.
If they have a genuine gripe, vague generalizations are one thing the do not espouse.
I will avoid slang insults and for the most part, have not found anyone here that trolls along. I will not apologize for my statement, only wish I had used a higher form of communication.
Bob