Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 4 Jul 2006, 14:20 (Ref:1648058)   #1
DemondPhoto
Rookie

DemondPhoto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New photographer

Hi guys im new to photography i've had my camera a eos 350d + 75-300mkiii usm, for about five months ive decide to setup a webiste to show off my work what i want to know is the website up to scratch and also if my pictures are ok. Im after buying an upgrade to my current lens but not sure what to buy i have about £300 to spend what would you reccomend.

cheers
scott
Old 4 Jul 2006, 14:56 (Ref:1648088)   #2
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi.

It might be useful to outline some of you aims here before we can really give much useful feedback.

I.e are you in this for a hobby or are you serious about taking it further?

As for the photos, there are some solid ones in there, and not bad considering you're quite new to it, and the equipment used.

A budget of £300 for a lens, hmm to be honest you probably better off keeping that money, and saving on it, to get a really good lens.

Although if you fancy a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, you might be lucky to be able to get one for within your budget on ebay. http://search.ebay.co.uk/sigma-70-20...200mmQ20f2Q2e8

If you would like some ideas on what to include on your website, feel free to take a look on mine as you will be able to see, I have included personal profile, contact information, usage conditions, and a disclaimer.

Actually I would strongly advise you do put a disclaimer on your website. Because copyrights, and commerical permissions etc can be a bit of a minefield.
Old 4 Jul 2006, 15:32 (Ref:1648111)   #3
DemondPhoto
Rookie

hi james thanks for the quick reply.

I am looking at taking it seriously as i love motorsport but dont have the finances to go racing so this is as close as i will get to the action without spending a fortune. At 18 i feel im quite a young photographer compared to most i see at a race track with a lot to learn. Im looking at trying to get a photographer pass so i can get closer and better shots without being restricted with fences. nice website btw.

cheers
scott
Old 4 Jul 2006, 15:34 (Ref:1648113)   #4
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, the first step to getting a pass is to work for a bona fide media organisation - so that would be a useful next step.
Old 4 Jul 2006, 15:42 (Ref:1648118)   #5
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just had a quick look at your galleries. Apologies if I missed them, but I could only see reasonably standard action shots. Possibly this is a function of the meetings you've attended, but try to get shots in the paddock, and shots of people, and interestingly composed shots and not just pictures of cars/bikes. Variety is the spice, and all that.
Old 4 Jul 2006, 16:33 (Ref:1648159)   #6
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scott.

You need to be 100% sure of yourself if you want to make a career out of this. This is a very competitive industry and bloody hard to get into. Very few people get to make living out of this.

If you are really serious, then you'l probably find yourself heavily investing in equipment. Serious equipment as well. As good as the 350D is, it won't be long until you realize that, that and a cheap lens isn't going to be much use against seasoned professionals, who have bucketfulls of talent, and seriously advanced and expensive machinery.

So, I'd think seriously about taking out a loan and investing in maybe the next body up from yours, 30D perhaps, and 1 or 2 serious lenses.

Use your age as your advantage as well. I don't know if you have a full time job or anything, but I can tell you now, that having to hold down a full time job, and trying to move into full time photography is extremly hard. Making time for photography is very hard, and obviously not great if you intend on doing it professionally. If you can't plan and commit to something because of employment duties, then it's very hard to be able to find media work.
Old 4 Jul 2006, 17:34 (Ref:1648200)   #7
DemondPhoto
Rookie

thanks for the advice guys i think a loan will be neccessary to further develop my shots aswell as new lenses. whats the best way of getting a press pass is it just pester my local rag and do reports from them with pictures?

cheers
scott
Old 4 Jul 2006, 17:39 (Ref:1648204)   #8
Ian Sowman
Veteran

That is a perfectly good place to start (it is how I first became actively involved, albeit not as a photographer). Don't just pester them, do your research first about drivers and teams in your locality that you can cover.
Old 4 Jul 2006, 17:51 (Ref:1648214)   #9
Owain Shaw
Rookie

Owain Shaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see a loan as something necessary to develop your shots. That comes from you, not your equipment or money.

See Ian's suggestions of types of shot to try. Paddock access is completely free (or has been at Brands when I have been there) and opens up a whole new set of possibilities.

As for getting passes - You have to offer something that an editor wants. Not sure if a local paper can get you accredited but, if you really want to get trackside, try them and find out.

It's not just getting trackside and taking alot of pictures for yourself though, you have to do what the client wants, that sometimes means missing races you may be interested in seeing/photographing, providing them with the images quickly and a lot of work. With very, very few exceptions, you are there to do a job for someone first, anything else second.
Old 4 Jul 2006, 19:01 (Ref:1648246)   #10
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemondPhoto
Im looking at trying to get a photographer pass so i can get closer and better shots without being restricted with fences.
Sorry but that's completely the wrong way round. Getting a media pass isn't a way to take better pictures, taking better pictures is the way to get a media pass. As others have already pointed out, you should be looking to get a media pass only because you can offer a picture editor something they want/need not because you think you deserve one.

Fences can be a pain but treat them as a challenge. Explore every inch of the circuit and find a way to work within those restrictions. If you look through the work of some of the regular posters here there's many that were taken from the spectator side of the fence yet are every bit as good as those taken with media access.
Old 4 Jul 2006, 19:12 (Ref:1648260)   #11
DWA
Racer

England
Enfield
DWA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you are serious about it,look forward to regular 18 hour days, often 2 or 3 days running, spending serious amounts of money for pro standard kit, £10k plus, and often not earning a massive amount. We tend to do it because we love racing anyway. You can certainly earn more shooting weddings !!
Old 4 Jul 2006, 22:31 (Ref:1648481)   #12
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Decent equipment is a high priority-but, when I started I had the basics, and I mean the basics...I didn't get a motordrive/power winder for ages and my lenses were far from being the best but I made damn sure that each shot counted (or tried to). I remember just after I began to use Slide film I got a shot of Ellen Lohr during the FF Festival at Brands with her car entering Paddock Bend about 12 feet up in the air...I had one shot at it as time I'd rewound for the next frame the car had landed...but it was better than Mr.Bloxham's (who had motordrive!) and everyone else there an was used in Autosport. I also used B&W for years as I couldn't afford to shoot colour but was able to process B&W in the lab I worked in and also doing the printing(can you imagine trying to sell B&W pics to drivers now!). I remember thinking whilst doing jobs for Autosport that if they'd known what I was using they would have died laughing but I got the results on the day and thats what counts-RESULTS. Anyone can take a picture of a race car or bike with or without passes for trackside but if they continue to be of average quality after a few months then I'd try weddings or something! Theres also a few on here who think they are good but in reality.....!!!!
Old 5 Jul 2006, 00:03 (Ref:1648521)   #13
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've seen that photo, it's awesome!

As others have said, you've got to be dedicated and commited, and be prepared to spend a lot of your free time at tracks somewhere! I had my first night out clubbing with my friends for months yesterday, because most of my time off work is spent doing photography stuff.

That said, I've been to some great places, and met some great people, it's all worth it!

A little bit of good luck is helpful aswell...
Old 5 Jul 2006, 04:41 (Ref:1648556)   #14
Ian Sowman
Veteran

As a side issue, Baz raises the issue of black and white shooting. Obviously now we're in the digital age you can manipulate images electronically to appear as B&W - but it is definitely something worth trying. Some pictures are so much more striking and atmospheric for the lack of colour. You might not be able to sell them, but I'm sure you'd enjoy the results.
Old 5 Jul 2006, 08:22 (Ref:1648632)   #15
Snapperjack
Racer

Snapperjack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Baz. As long as you can master the basics, things should only get better as you can afford to upgrade your equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper Baz
Theres also a few on here who think they are good but in reality.....!!!!
That has got posters thinking
Old 5 Jul 2006, 15:27 (Ref:1648950)   #16
Owain Shaw
Rookie

Owain Shaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper Baz
can you imagine trying to sell B&W pics to drivers now!
Having done so, yes. Yes I can.
Old 5 Jul 2006, 21:26 (Ref:1649162)   #17
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Snapperjack...Indeed!
Old 10 Jul 2006, 11:07 (Ref:1652133)   #18
ADEE
Racer

England
Harpenden
ADEE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
one way of using top gear without the expense is to rent it - pro photo & calumet in london both have plenty of gear availalble.
it will work out much more expensive in the long run but is a goood way to try out before committing big bucks.
good luck!