Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 8 Nov 2015, 21:57 (Ref:3589100)   #1
fifgo
Rookie

fifgo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you use a wheel gun/impact wrench?

Hi all,

I am currently undertaking a project regarding wheel guns and would like your help if you use wheel guns/impact wrenches.

Below is a link to a quick survey with some multiple choice questions, it would help me a lot if you could take 1 minute of your time to answer it if you have any exposure to using wheel guns/ impact wrenches. If you use these in a motorsport context please state this in the last comment box.

Thank you in advance

Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/WNVPXJK

Also if anybody has experience using these in a motorsport environment I would be really interested to hear from you about what you feel the biggest drawback of this system is?

Thank you
Old 17 Dec 2015, 19:27 (Ref:3598443)   #2
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ruining Wheels and Killing yourself and more importantly, Others!

Quote:
Also if anybody has experience using these in a motorsport environment I would be really interested to hear from you about what you feel the biggest drawback of this system is?

Thank you
Simple answer: if any tool, be it wheel brace, socket, or Impact Wrench, tightens a wheel beyond its stated torque, then one risks the danger of crystalyzing the metal where the wheelnut compresses the indented portion and ripping away from the wheel.

Wheel Manufacturers state a maximum torque: exceed this, and the wheel centre is, under load, liable to separate, leaving the wheel and tyre err......... "Freewheeling" along the circuit, whilst the car, tries to move on its suspension and chassis.

I've seen it: it is not fun!

Serious teams (Formula One) used multi-nut spinners, carefully set to the correct torque for speed; manufacturers used similar air tools to set wheel nuts into position.

Cheap impact wrenches cannot achieve accuracy in terms of torque.

Sufficient for you?
Old 18 Dec 2015, 14:08 (Ref:3598588)   #3
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I whizz them up and take them off with a gun but always final tighten with torque wrench
Old 19 Dec 2015, 18:13 (Ref:3598811)   #4
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Same:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
I whizz them up and take them off with a gun but always final tighten with torque wrench
Same here, Al.

Even if the wheel casting resists the torque, I have known over-enthusiastically tightened wide-rim single seater studs to pull out from the hub.

Can be impossible to see the crystallization by eye and needs UV + fluorescent powder, X Ray or similar crack testing.

Early MG Midget/Sprite rims were notoriously weak (Too thin); and the centres would happily pull out, particularly where over-torqued.

I watched this happen to the Autosport cartoonist, Barry Foley, in his Clubman's car: he wasn't happy!
Old 21 Dec 2015, 10:33 (Ref:3599129)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
It's very easy to exceed the recommended torque of a wheel nut/bolt even when just "buzzing" them up. For years I always use the settings on Autodata for every car that I service. I would like a pound for the amount of cars that I have to work on that even my 3/4 gun won't undo and have to resort to a bar with a 3ft piece of pipe !
Most of the "quickfit " type of emporiums are guilty of ruining wheels/nuts/studs/bolts by just leaving the gun to do it's worse, in the case of steel wheels I have seen them tightened so much that the tapered part of the nut is bottoming out on the hub and ruined the wheel.
In most cases wheels are always tightened too much making the supplied wheel brace as useless as a chocolate fireguard !!!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 Dec 2015, 15:18 (Ref:3599204)   #6
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
If you use an impact gun to tighten fasteners you will overtighten them as you are bringing kinetic energy into the equation. One of the things I vaguely remember from my college days is "double for impact".
Old 21 Dec 2015, 15:30 (Ref:3599207)   #7
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
If you use an impact gun to tighten fasteners you will overtighten them as you are bringing kinetic energy into the equation. One of the things I vaguely remember from my college days is "double for impact".
How many times would you need to tighten with an air gun to see a problem?

Reason for asking - been doing up, then tightening (with spider not torque wrench) wheel nuts on my Honda Civic road car since I bought it at 60k miles. Now done 237k miles and 13 years old. Steel wheels on and off all the time for pads, discs, suspension components, any sort of repair that might need wheels removing. No evidence of issues whatsoever.

Note, I always get a small amount of extra turn when I do the final tighten with the spider.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 22 Dec 2015, 03:09 (Ref:3599348)   #8
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Ditto.
Old 22 Dec 2015, 08:57 (Ref:3599388)   #9
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me three.
Old 22 Dec 2015, 12:44 (Ref:3599423)   #10
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
All Too Often.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
It's very easy to exceed the recommended torque of a wheel nut/bolt even when just "buzzing" them up. For years I always use the settings on Autodata for every car that I service. I would like a pound for the amount of cars that I have to work on that even my 3/4 gun won't undo and have to resort to a bar with a 3ft piece of pipe !
Most of the "quickfit " type of emporiums are guilty of ruining wheels/nuts/studs/bolts by just leaving the gun to do it's worse, in the case of steel wheels I have seen them tightened so much that the tapered part of the nut is bottoming out on the hub and ruined the wheel.
In most cases wheels are always tightened too much making the supplied wheel brace as useless as a chocolate fireguard !!!!
One reason emergency "Break Down" services are called out, is to remove a flat and fit spare because the car owner simply cannot undo the wheel nuts post the tender care of the average tyre shop!

Know I know and sort of trust, the guy I take our road cars to for tyres etc. However, when he has fitted the wheels, I remove them and refit with the aid of my trusty old Britool torque wrench. Which I re-calibrate every so often using a very accurate spring balance!
Old 23 Dec 2015, 05:16 (Ref:3599591)   #11
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysFeltham View Post
One reason emergency "Break Down" services are called out, is to remove a flat and fit spare because the car owner simply cannot undo the wheel nuts post the tender care of the average tyre shop!

Know I know and sort of trust, the guy I take our road cars to for tyres etc. However, when he has fitted the wheels, I remove them and refit with the aid of my trusty old Britool torque wrench. Which I re-calibrate every so often using a very accurate spring balance!
I do the same.

I have a theory/ observation that this over torqueing of the bolts also often leads to warped brake discs.

Anyone?

Last edited by wnut; 23 Dec 2015 at 05:22.
Old 23 Dec 2015, 06:56 (Ref:3599599)   #12
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just thinking about using a torque wrench on a wheel stud makes my head hurt.

I use an electric rattle gun and a torque bar:

http://www.kctools.com.au/Products/i...e-torsion-bars
Old 23 Dec 2015, 14:54 (Ref:3599687)   #13
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djr81 View Post
Just thinking about using a torque wrench on a wheel stud makes my head hurt.........
don't understand this; what's wrong with using the correct torque setting rather than an approximation?
Old 23 Dec 2015, 19:07 (Ref:3599727)   #14
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
Perhaps................

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
don't understand this; what's wrong with using the correct torque setting rather than an approximation?
Perhaps, he is using the old rule of thumb method for tightening.

You know, tighten it up until the stud breaks; buy a new one and don't tighten it so much!

Or, perhaps, in Australia, the term torque wrench has a different meaning?
Old 23 Dec 2015, 23:50 (Ref:3599780)   #15
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
At the end of the day its just a wheel stud (One of five on each corner) and an approximation (A pretty good one I might add) is good enough. Why?

Because the torque setting is at best an approximate figure despite notionally needing to correlate to a % strain on the stud. The problem is the required torque is massively influenced by the amount of lubrication (Or otherwise) on the stud & nut. The same torque setting can yield hugely different values for the strain on the stud depending on the state of the stud. This is the reason you see different torque values for lubricated, dry, galvanised, teflon coated, etc etc nuts & bolts. So can you estimate the coefficient of friction of your stud & nut on any given day? I cant so an approximation (to within a few Nm) is more than good enough.

Have never broken a stud yet or for that matter had one come loose.

They are far more likely to come to harm down the local tyre shop when some random numpty goes at it with an air driven impact gun and no clue.

Anyway that's how we do it in the antipodes. Ill leave you to your torque wrenches, BSW threads and MG's. Happy Christmas.
Old 24 Dec 2015, 17:05 (Ref:3599992)   #16
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the risk of being shot down in flames here, I tend to agree with djr81 on this.

If using a torque wrench on your wheel nuts makes you feel better and more secure, then that's fine, nothing wrong with it, but personally I don't really think it's necessary. I've spent my working life in the classic car business, and I've never torqued a wheel-nut in my life. Nor have I ever had one come loose on me or break a stud, and I've never seen (or been told of) any evidence of damage to a wheel caused by my not torquing it up correctly. This includes over 20 years (on & off) of competing in rallying and racing. I just use my experience to tell me when a wheel-nut is tight enough.

I have, however, had wheels come loose on me whilst driving - but never on a wheel that I fitted!

If you think about it, just about every nut & bolt on a car has a specified torque setting, but I'll wager that most of those who routinely use a torque wrench on their wheel-nuts don't also do same on every other nut & bolt on their cars.
Old 24 Dec 2015, 17:35 (Ref:3599998)   #17
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysFeltham View Post
It would be nice to get the "fitter" (for want of a better word) out of bed at 3am to undo the wheel nuts that he lovingly tightened up to about 250nm when it's p***ing with rain on the hard shoulder.
The worse ones we come across in the motor trade are locking wheel nuts that have been put on with a hammer gun far too tight and the key is so Knackered that it will not undo them.
But that's another story as locking wheel nuts are a pain in the arse for most mechanics as it can take ages to find the key, and that's even if the customer knows what one is and where it would be !!!!!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 24 Dec 2015, 18:01 (Ref:3600000)   #18
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
At the risk of being shot down in flames here, I tend to agree with djr81 on this.

If using a torque wrench on your wheel nuts makes you feel better and more secure, then that's fine, nothing wrong with it, but personally I don't really think it's necessary. I've spent my working life in the classic car business, and I've never torqued a wheel-nut in my life. Nor have I ever had one come loose on me or break a stud, and I've never seen (or been told of) any evidence of damage to a wheel caused by my not torquing it up correctly. This includes over 20 years (on & off) of competing in rallying and racing. I just use my experience to tell me when a wheel-nut is tight enough.

I have, however, had wheels come loose on me whilst driving - but never on a wheel that I fitted!

If you think about it, just about every nut & bolt on a car has a specified torque setting, but I'll wager that most of those who routinely use a torque wrench on their wheel-nuts don't also do same on every other nut & bolt on their cars.
That may be true, which puts me firmly in the minority; I learned over the years that as a self-taught amateur (not in the trade, only fettle my own cars) it's best to do it right, do it once. Especially where a failure would prevent me finishing a race and/or cost me unnecessary spend.
Old 24 Dec 2015, 18:31 (Ref:3600005)   #19
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
Ok I'll go along with that, the only difference is that having a wheel fall of through being not tightened enough or too tight that the stud is at it's tensile strength limit and will snap when hitting a pothole is different to having a loose hooter mounting !
Old 24 Dec 2015, 21:46 (Ref:3600031)   #20
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David & Gordon - no argument from me on either count. As I said, if you're happier doing it that way, then nothing wrong with it - and yes, agreed that a wheel-nut is more critical than a horn mount. But it's no more critical than many other nuts/bolts that most of us probably never put near a torque wrench.

As for it potentially causing a failure - well, yes, I agree. But as mentioned, for me it's never caused a problem. You might say I've just been lucky, and maybe so, or maybe 30+ years experience has just given me a pretty decent 'feel' for knowing when a wheel-nut is tight enough.

Either way, it's each to their own isn't it? I guess we all do things in a way which we're happy with and we'll stick with our own personal methods - mine works for me, others will have their own ideas.

Happy Christmas to all!
Old 25 Dec 2015, 08:54 (Ref:3600111)   #21
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Yes after 53 years in the motor trade I can tighten a wheel nut up without a torque wrench perfectly well, the problem arises in this sue culture age where if it's your livelihood you can't second guess on anything ! fair enough if it's your own vehicle.
Only last week a mate of mine got saddled with a 5k bill after a young mechanic (that was working for him) overfilled a Golf turbo diesel with engine oil that wrecked the engine when the customer was 10 miles up the road.
Old 25 Dec 2015, 10:19 (Ref:3600126)   #22
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
That may be true, which puts me firmly in the minority; I learned over the years that as a self-taught amateur (not in the trade, only fettle my own cars) it's best to do it right, do it once. Especially where a failure would prevent me finishing a race and/or cost me unnecessary spend.
At the risk of, well, at the risk of something. The last time a wheel came off my car is when you used it at the 'Ring and it came loose and broke the studs! I don't use a torque wrench on them.

Nor do I use one of the popular nut runners on the kart wheel nuts. After the last race I discovered a loose wheel nut. That wheel had been fixed on by a friend with a nut runner, not me with my wheel brace!
Old 26 Dec 2015, 00:42 (Ref:3600213)   #23
RED21
Rookie

RED21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Yes after 53 years in the motor trade I can tighten a wheel nut up without a torque wrench perfectly well, the problem arises in this sue culture age where if it's your livelihood you can't second guess on anything ! fair enough if it's your own vehicle.
Only last week a mate of mine got saddled with a 5k bill after a young mechanic (that was working for him) overfilled a Golf turbo diesel with engine oil that wrecked the engine when the customer was 10 miles up the road.
I can only say for my self and where I work, that I pre torque wheel bolts then a final torque all per manufacturer specified process that I work for and then written on the service/job sheet so it is all traceable. If there any major work done like a sub frame drop or suspension work done the appropriate page of the repair manual is printed off with the fixing torque settings shown again for traceability to try and prevent any issues with a claim of negligence.
Like some here I have seen some way over tightened bolts & loose fixings resulting in some serious damage to the vehicle, but I have also been on the receiving end of loose fixings which I wouldn't want on any one so I take all possible care with critical areas of any job (& non critical)
Part of our work process is calibration of all torque wrenches every six months to maintain standards.
Yet I will admit on some fixings like a hose position bracket it will be done up by hand as the torque setting will be very low 6Nm on a M8 bolt and you do get a feel as to when to stop turning the spanner.
Old 3 Jan 2016, 18:56 (Ref:3601857)   #24
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
Oh Dear!

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016...farage-leaked/

Clearly, Nigel didn't follow our little discussion!