Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 1 Feb 2000, 05:05 (Ref:13147)   #1
tourist
Rookie

tourist should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not going to say which is best, as each has its own merits. But the Platform Wars will always rage. But I haven't ventured into battles for a while. So Im curious as to if the old confrontations are still going on.. Also, its not just about racing titles.

On the UK launch date of the Dreamcast, I brought one - complete with Powerstone. Two days later I had Sonic Adventure. A few months down the line I aquired Worms Armagedon, F1WGP and Soul Calibur.

I had/have a Playstation. With: MGS, FFVII, Tomb Raiders 1 to 3, GT, Music, Tekken 2 & 3, RageRacer, Bushido Blade, Driver, F1 97, Worms, Three Lions.

Is the PC still the best for racers? For F1 most likely.

The Playstation was too weak to cope with simulators (flight sims) or real strategy games of any note. But it cornered reasonably shallow games for the mass market, and made Lara a real star. A few saving graces to the wonderful PS: FFVVI, MGS, GT, Tekken 3.
It grew and beat to a pulp Segas woeful Virtua Fighter series. It claimed right to the most perfect, playable but deep driving sim in Gran Turismo. It spawned the best contender for greatest game of all time - Final Fantasy VII. Never have characters been so involving, with great visuals, an immersive plot, real emotion and lastability. Depth was really, seriously the key word to describe it.

Then, when it needed it the most, an astonishing masterpiece. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you:

Konami's Metal gear Solid.

Never mind about it being short. It had inovation a plenty. But, mainly it did what Final Fantasy couldn't even do. It perfected and encapsulated the ideology of videogames.
It did what generations of movies couldn't really do.
It took the casual participator - and put them into the action. It made them feel that they were part of it. I spent hours immersed in a world that didn't exist - except in my own mind.

It basically melded the "user" with the software. True virtual reality, because that will never work (or be popular) any decade soon.

In MY opinion it had the greatest football game ever. I could go on for days about Three Lions CRIMINALLY unrecognised genius here, but Im guessing no one really likes football here.....

So, I ask this: has the Playstation been the most important thing that has happened in the history of the games industry?
Some would argue it CREATED the games industry.

Forget that Nintendo idiot Miyamoto.........

If Sony's PS is the best thing that happened to the industry - then surely the worst offender of present has to be the N64.

I saw an ad the other day, and actually laughed out loud at its visuals. The PS is very close behind in that aspect, and has been for a long time. Despite its dwindling power.

The PC isn't a games machine. Full stop. Anyone who says it is, they are indeed a crazy zealot.
In visuals, I think the Dreamcast has exceeded every platform at the moment. No machine could run the genius of Soul Calibur or the forthcoming Shenmue. I haven't even seen the latter moving...but its incredible so far...

The DC has claimed the beat 'em up crown for all time. Tekken is dead. Tekken "Tag" (cringe....) 4 can never out do the inovation of Powerstone, or the balance between hardcore depth, and instant playability and longevity that Soul Calibur offers. Thats not counting the great visuals, and best character design of all time that it also has.

The DC IS indeed useless for driving games at the moment. So what if my copy of F1WGP looks the best that racing has ever looked - once again the visuals strike a balance between an obsession for realism and running fast.

One game title could change everything.
Metropolis Street Racer. ONLY for Dreamcast (so far and I hope ot stays a DC exclusive). I am placing faith in something I haven't played yet - and maybe it will be bad. But from the graphics, it IS the best looking driving game of all time. And coming from the makers of the minor masterpiece F197, Bizarre Creations - it cant possibly fail ALL that is promised.

Yu Suzuki's Shenmue may well (like FFVII) be an Event in the timelime of videogames. It could be THAT big. I for one cannot wait ay longer. Not that long to go though...
Imagine, playing whole versions of arcade classics (created by the god Suzuki) in the arcade in one of the cities.

But, with the late release of Shenmue, it may well be Sega's last throw of the dice - has been rolled too late.
The Dreamcast will be around for a while, and with Tomb Raider4 and EA all taking the DC plunge, it will have a guaranteed life of reasonable goodness.

Only one thing can and will stop Sega - yes thats the one, Sony's mega "wonder box 47" that is the Playstation 2.

With the possible ability of digitally recording tv footage onto CD, playing the brilliant DVDs, net access and playing a whole host of guaranteed stunning games.
One thing that it brings is its punters: with backwards capability - Sony will rule the world soon.........

Forget the Big N's Dolphin - they may get more things right this time, but it'll never stand up to PS2. Whilst they're busy burying the N64, and trying to put together a killer console, Sony will be storming ahead in Japan - and ready to take on the prosperous sport gullible west.

I will indeed get the PS2. But the DC will be around for a little while. I just hope that they have learnt from their mistakes. Its been punched down, and hit with sticks by Sony before - and its one big smack away from being killed by it. They have a host of classic arcade games to keep the populace happy with. When will they start using all of their knowledge? No one in the world will ever argue against Sega's dominance in the arcades.
Time to milk your "special cow" for all its goodness, Sega.

"First person shooters!!" - I heard someone scream from the bemused, hooded PC crowds. The DC will shortly have Valves classic Half Life, and possibly Quake. Lionhead's Black & White is also rumoured (please....be true oh rumours...) to be scampering towards the DC camp. I also hope it doesn't get hypnotised by Sony..it probably will.

Oi Nintendo!! Listen up!! There's a true inovator of games, Peter Moleneux. All hail the creator of Amiga's `Syndicate`.

So there you have it...I have completed by brief games essay. If no one read it, I dont care - I have exorcised my views for one night.

(UK bods check out page 480 on C4's Teletext for the best gaming commentary, daily acurate cynicism by the wonderboys Digitiser)

I thank you...you can reply now. What, you're asleep?

Old 1 Feb 2000, 05:28 (Ref:13148)   #2
G-R
Rookie

G-R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whoa, that was pretty long dude!
Most of what you said was right, apart from this "Tekken is dead". Actually, it's not. The shots you've seen of TTT is only using 10-20% of the PS2's power! And aparently, T4 you will be able to use stuff lying around, such as table etc ala The bouncer.

And, I think the PS2 will be the leading 'thing' for racing/car games, especially F1. Imagine playing on-line with 21 other drivers, in your own F1 league(I understand that the DC can also play online, but I'm not talking about the DC)?

And, if you thought MGS was good, imagine it on the PS2. It's gonna be set in NewYork, as far as I know. It'll be a huge game, no more finishing it in 4 hours.

As for Three Lions, it indeed was a different soccer game. The only thing I didn't like about it was the shooting target thing.

And have you seen the shots of Final Fantasy 9, 10 and 11? Absolutely georgous(sp?)
With the use of DVD's instead of CD in the future, The games will be able to be abosolutely huge, No more 4 CD's for FianlFantasy games.

I'm a big Sony fan, and not much of a Sega fan. But, Sega are the best at making games for the arcade. Their Sega World in Sydney is great, really fun. But, I'm not a fan of their consoles much.
I won't be getting a DC, well, probably won't be. It's sell's for an insane price of $699.99 over here, so I'm happy to wait for the PS2 for now, and I'll keep playing my trusty old( ) PSX. There's yet to be a game on the DC that makes me go 'I have to buy one'.

ps:I'll find some FF shots If I can for ya.

[This message has been edited by G-R (edited 01 February 2000).]
Old 1 Feb 2000, 05:35 (Ref:13149)   #3
G-R
Rookie

G-R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FinalFantasyIX:

FF X:
Check out this pic!

FFXI:

[This message has been edited by G-R (edited 01 February 2000).]
Old 1 Feb 2000, 17:41 (Ref:13150)   #4
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can manage with my humble PS until PS2 turns up on our sunny shores in September.

WHO GIVES A F*** ABOUT TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT?

Old 2 Feb 2000, 02:35 (Ref:13151)   #5
tourist
Rookie

GR: you said "..over here..." I didn't check your profile, but where in the world is the DC selling for that much?
Can't be the US.....so where?

Three Lions....You didn't like the targeting system? You dont like evolution in your games?!?!!?!?
And - no offence - no one can judge Three Lions unless you've played it for months on end, at hour long sittings. On the PS.
It looks terrible - but like all things, you become acustomed to the look, and then "like" it from there. The motion capture was perfect, no game has ever captured the way the players react to the ball, as well as this game did.

The targeting system: dont you want the choice to either go for a low, far flung rocket into a corner, or a well placed top corner attempt?
It was pretty poor at a "game" level: as in very few options, only world cup and friendlys. That aspect was bad. And the lack of co-operative 2 player option was a crime...

But, nothing has EVER recreated the feeling, the ebs and flows of a real football match as well as Three Lions did. It felt like a real match. But it took self control to really enjoy it. I played MinardiFan at it, and he took me to a frustrating 8-7 score line. Ok, this is two player and its different - but he acheived his "fighting chance" by pressing O many...many...many times. The lob button. As Three Lions passes very acurately, all he needed to do was get the ball up in my box as fast and as many times as possible. A dull tactic to say the least...but because it had range, and was accurate - it worked in frustrating my defence...and reaped several goals from a scatter gun technique...

But one player, with determination and control - it turns into a dream. Its strange, somedays its easy if you're good at it - but then you get real matches.
Many a few key players on the pitch working hard to alter the flow of the match. Concentrated defences. Masterful runs and tactically perfect outsmarting moves to rip apart defences.

Rare 50yarders from a rogue midfielder (or Tony Adams on one strange occasion. Scored my winner as it happens....).

England/Romania, or England/France were classics, a definate highlight of my gaming career. True battles. Going down 3-0 to France at halftime, then clawing my way back and wrestling control from their hands (er...feet).
Keepers or particular defenders playing integral parts to the outcome of matches. Only in Three Lions do these circumstances arise realistically.

In the world today, it is one of the greatest crimes that there will never be an (preferably on DC) update, using exactly the same code (with some touching up). Oh joy.....

Tekken Tag???? ZZZZZZzzzzzz.......
Soul Calibur/Powerstone thats what I say.

The news that Tekken 4 will become (regress) more like Streets Of Rage/Double Dragon "really" impresses me. Powerstone is an evolution in gaming.

Tekken 3 - no matter how much I Adore it - will never be as great as Tekken 2. T3 became too easy......there was no motivation to learn 10-strings (of which in Tekken 2 I learnt EVERY one).

Even on the PS, Soul Blade (Soul Edge) gave a better CLOSER fighting experience. Credit must be given to the legendary Virtua Fighter, for turning combat into free thinking contests. Not a battle of "take your turn button bashing memory tests".

Unless Tekken 4 (I HATE tag.....) drops a few controls, and lessens the number of moves - the fighting crown will remain with Soul Calibur.

I am a "beat em up fan", and I damn well know my stuff!!! I adored the Tekkens for ages. But Soul Blade began to change my mind. Tekken 2's too s l o w. . .
Bushido Blade is for the deep thinkers of the fighting world, who like close, tense contests.
A meeting between two people who understand how to play it, is the most tense, skillfull and rewarding experience I have ever had on my PS.

I dislike PS for its "casual gamers", I dont care what people say - they are irritating. Girls, spoilt kids, clubbers and students. This is where Sony gets its money from.

Unfortunately Sega have seen that following Sony's lead, brings in the money.

So I just cant stand people when they rabbit on about the PS2.
Well, I dislike the people who will jump at the news on hearing all the blurb.

Down with Jin Kazama, Heihachi and Anna - long live Mitsurugi, Maxi, Sophitia, Siegried and Cervantes!!!!

Plus, Calibur has the galleries and brilliant profiles. And an Exhibition Mode. Endless watching of inumerable martial arts routines. Go on, Tekken - get outta here!!!!
Old 3 Feb 2000, 01:23 (Ref:13152)   #6
Ed-f1
Racer

Ed-f1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FFXI?! I know I haven't been keeping up to date with the games industry the last few months but you don't seriously expect me to believe they've released pictures from FFXI already do you?
Old 4 Feb 2000, 00:56 (Ref:13153)   #7
tourist
Rookie

GR- where did you get those pics? Impressive. (my browser hasn't been displaying the pics for the last few days. But now i see them they're impressive).
Was the source a website?? If so - please put the address up... I cant wait for PS2 - because then I'll be able to get FFVIII, GT2 and Music 2000....
Oh, I read on my daily Digi source, that they say Sega are rapidly losing the fight...UK sales are still flagging, and the PS is still in the lead. They agreed with me saying the public are stupid to ignore new machines, and that Sony have become so powerful - they can never be toppled.

How soon until Sega really start building and hyping the DC2?? Surely they're not that stupid............
But running scared - well, running around like a headless chicken, screaming madly here and then from Sony - has made them run into several walls in the past.

Shenmue, Metropolis S-R, Code Veronica, TR4 and Powerstone 2 had better be real good, real soon.
Half Life is ages away I read, as is Black & White.
We need Shenmue and MS-R!!!!!

While Sony seem to be powering up their "super space laser swords", Sega are trying to repair their plastic toy axe and shield combo. With blue-tack and sticky tape..