Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 30 Apr 2018, 09:18 (Ref:3818314)   #51
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
Here's some other perspectives and discussion about the incident. (including on boards) from Andy Soucek and Mike Skeen on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ASoucek/status/990302890945318914

Obviously Mike Skeen is a very talented driver with a ton of laps at VIR.
He could probably easily drive the track blindfolded. Perhaps the problem with driving a track too much from memory is it sometimes doesn't allow for the extra variable of the other competitors sharing the track with you.
Mike doesn't come out very well in that Twitter discussion. From the Bentley view, he clearly came over on it. In response to that he says "Interesting he is turning left when the track goes right", but that's completely wrong - the Bentley is turning right. The wheel is clearly tilted to the right. Making false claims like that isn't going to help your case.

He also he says the Bentley had plenty of room, but that works both ways - the Mercedes had more room, and he was moving over on the Bentley giving it less room. It's also a bit presumptuous to basically say that because another car has room, it should move out of the way.

And finally, the photo Mike posted very clearly shows the Mercedes coming over the nose of the Bentley. The next corner is a left hander. The Mercedes would've won that battle anyway. So it was a pointless move anyway.

I'd initially have said racing incident, but the evidence Mike posted actually incriminates himself pretty badly really.
Old 30 Apr 2018, 11:47 (Ref:3818352)   #52
JorritVD
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
JorritVD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting. It is not that Mike is turning in more. You can see that on his steering wheel keeping the same angle and just half a second before the hit he starts steering less. The same for Parente. Just before the impact he starts steering less as well. Actually the point when you see Alvaro steers less he very fast go quickly toward Mike.
Old 30 Apr 2018, 15:32 (Ref:3818407)   #53
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

And finally, the photo Mike posted very clearly shows the Mercedes coming over the nose of the Bentley. The next corner is a left hander. The Mercedes would've won that battle anyway. So it was a pointless move anyway.

I'd initially have said racing incident, but the evidence Mike posted actually incriminates himself pretty badly really.
The picture was to show that pretty much everyone else was pointing their cars to the right, where the #9 is not doing that, but it's hard to get the entire picture from one...picture...Knowing Skeen's skill and class, it's 100% a racing incident and clearly not intentional. A stop and hold for 3 seemed too steep, but I could fully understand a drive through. I would be curious to see what the penalty call would have been had their been tires on the cement barriers, so the damage was less severe.
Old 30 Apr 2018, 15:51 (Ref:3818413)   #54
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasportscar View Post
it's 100% a racing incident and clearly not intentional.
Not intentional != racing incident.

None of that section of track is straight after braking for turn 1 until you brake for turn 4 (and even that's at a diagonal to the apex).

Surely Mike didn't do it on purpose as he's a very clean racer, but it was an honest mistake. He didn't realize Alvaro got such a good run out of T1 (it's hard to put the power down there, which is why most people run wide on the exit) and simply wasn't expecting him to be there. He was thinking about attacking the leader in T4 (which is why he tried to get such a wide entry into T3) and not about those behind (or next to him in this case).

It was a mistake and Alvaro and KPAX paid a HUGE price and he got penalized.

-mike
Old 30 Apr 2018, 16:37 (Ref:3818425)   #55
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The picture was to show that pretty much everyone else was pointing their cars to the right, where the #9 is not doing that, but it's hard to get the entire picture from one...picture...Knowing Skeen's skill and class, it's 100% a racing incident and clearly not intentional. A stop and hold for 3 seemed too steep, but I could fully understand a drive through. I would be curious to see what the penalty call would have been had their been tires on the cement barriers, so the damage was less severe.
I'd never suggest that it was done on purpose (or due to lack of skill), as Skeen is clearly better than that. But I don't agree that it was a racing incident. 100% of the blame for that one is on the Mercedes.
Old 30 Apr 2018, 17:28 (Ref:3818431)   #56
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
In the past, similar moves have resulted in a driver being parked. If anything, I'd say they went easy on Skeen.
I don't think he did it on purpose, but his mistake ended the weekend for another driver. The consequences should reflect that.
Old 30 Apr 2018, 19:29 (Ref:3818476)   #57
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post
In the past, similar moves have resulted in a driver being parked. If anything, I'd say they went easy on Skeen.
I don't think he did it on purpose, but his mistake ended the weekend for another driver. The consequences should reflect that.
Skeen didn't run off course, then fly back on and take out another driver like we saw from Baptista in the GTS race at Mid Ohio last season, ironic as it is. Mike's move wasn't egregious, he also took blame and apologized. Also more than what happened last season in the GTS Mid O race. The consequence was that LSR's race 1 was essentially taken away, as was their fast lap to set the grid for Race 2. To me it was harsh for a racing incident.

I'd be curious to see what would have happened if there were tires and not just cement walls right there. The Bentley is (probably) in one piece and LSR's penalty would have been A LOT lighter I reckon.
Old 1 May 2018, 00:44 (Ref:3818544)   #58
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Skeen didn't run off course, then fly back on and take out another driver like we saw from Baptista in the GTS race at Mid Ohio last season, ironic as it is. Mike's move wasn't egregious, he also took blame and apologized. Also more than what happened last season in the GTS Mid O race. The consequence was that LSR's race 1 was essentially taken away, as was their fast lap to set the grid for Race 2. To me it was harsh for a racing incident.
I don't really see Skeen taking the blame in the Twitter conversation above. He says he's sorry to see the wreck, not sorry for causing it.

In both events referenced a driver made an error that cost another team their entire weekend. In Baptista's case, the error was attempting to rejoin where there simply wasn't room, after going off in a crowded start. In Skeen's case, the error was trying to take a line where there simply wasn't room.

I don't think either wreck was caused on purpose, nor has either driver made a habit of wrecking people. Mistakes happen, but it's hard to say the penalty is too harsh when another competitor's weekend has been ended.
Old 1 May 2018, 13:45 (Ref:3818680)   #59
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post
I don't really see Skeen taking the blame in the Twitter conversation above. He says he's sorry to see the wreck, not sorry for causing it.

In both events referenced a driver made an error that cost another team their entire weekend. In Baptista's case, the error was attempting to rejoin where there simply wasn't room, after going off in a crowded start. In Skeen's case, the error was trying to take a line where there simply wasn't room.

I don't think either wreck was caused on purpose, nor has either driver made a habit of wrecking people. Mistakes happen, but it's hard to say the penalty is too harsh when another competitor's weekend has been ended.
It's too harsh when it was clearly not egregious and he doesn't have a track record. If it was Tomy Drissi out there and that happened, that's another story