Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Jun 2001, 19:49 (Ref:105605)   #1
Niall
Rookie

Niall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slightly OT: McLaren to sue website for showing pic of "Paintwork"

I don't know if any of ye have heard this but mcLaren are sueing davidcoulthard.com for showing a picture of their "paintwork"

Seemingly mclaren are very edgy about unofficial fan websites and this just shows it.

But the joke is "paintwork"

The website showed a pciture of coulthard driving the McLaren. The pictures were officially got from anotehr site which allowed them to be taken.

THis just shows how unfriendly mcLaren are to the public and most of all its fans.

Niall
Old 15 Jun 2001, 20:32 (Ref:105625)   #2
Maximum F1
Racer

Maximum F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never liked McLaren, always thought ould Ron was a bit of a moan and had a touch of a sore loser in him.
Old 15 Jun 2001, 20:40 (Ref:105631)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
HHmm Mclaren or Ferrari, its like the choice between having your head chopped off, or sawn off.
Old 15 Jun 2001, 21:46 (Ref:105654)   #4
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's some sort of power rush - makes him feel important - just like he has to keep Adrian Newey and Gordon Murray for the sake of not letting other teams have them, even when they're paid millions to do nothing (or will be)
Old 15 Jun 2001, 22:13 (Ref:105661)   #5
economy_waffle
Racer

economy_waffle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Sodemo
HHmm Mclaren or Ferrari, its like the choice between having your head chopped off, or sawn off.
now thats a kickarse comment if ever i heard one!!!

uc i posted a topic on this only 2 weeks ago talking about the secrecy and !!!! thats going on in F1 at the moment!!! at montrwal, the 'fans' day was cancelled cos all the teams shoved massive boards up and covered up the car!!!

CART actually respects their fans...Bernie?
Old 15 Jun 2001, 23:06 (Ref:105681)   #6
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I like it... I like it a lot... And he's right.
Old 16 Jun 2001, 01:08 (Ref:105698)   #7
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!

Let's LEAVE Ferrari out of this one shall we..
Old 16 Jun 2001, 01:27 (Ref:105701)   #8
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How stupid is that. Where is there a law that says you can't take photos?

Mclaren are making a bad move here. Are they going to remove photos from everywhere but official sources. Should be interesting.

The future of F1 photography:
Attached Thumbnails
censored.jpg  
Old 16 Jun 2001, 09:45 (Ref:105784)   #9
economy_waffle
Racer

maybe they [itv-f1] should do that in a race, that would mean a turn around from Ron. i would have thought that mclaren's sponsors would've wanted more publicity and Ron is being gay and sorta stopping it...u just wait, ferrari will do the same. ferrari always copy mclaren.
Old 16 Jun 2001, 10:50 (Ref:105804)   #10
Toca
Rookie

Toca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wouldn't suprise me

We got two letters from their lawyers giving us a dead line of 24 hrs to remove ALL Mclaren related items from our site or we would be taken to court. I mean people like us are advertising them for FREE, I think it just proves what a mess Mclaren has got into - they are loosing it big style arn't they.....
Old 16 Jun 2001, 10:53 (Ref:105805)   #11
Toca
Rookie

Joke

Don't you think it's a touch of 'brain fade'.... on their part!
Old 16 Jun 2001, 11:29 (Ref:105817)   #12
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, a few months ago Planetf1.com's "alternative championship" got into trouble (I believe they were taken to court) for making fun of Mclaren and using it's images, and I didn't really take it seriously. But they don't have Mclaren screensavers or Mclaren site customisations, so I'm starting to believe it.

It's truly ridiculous, I'm going to censor all of my Mclaren images....
Old 16 Jun 2001, 11:52 (Ref:105825)   #13
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
It's time Ron Dennis was given a good spanking..Silly Sod!
Old 16 Jun 2001, 12:32 (Ref:105833)   #14
Niall
Rookie

Toca: What is you websites address.

i'd like to have a look.

Niall
Old 16 Jun 2001, 15:50 (Ref:105890)   #15
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The guy who runs davidcoulthard.com also runs hakkinen.com and that's in trouble too. Not to mention sites run by fans for the likes of Nick Heidfeld, Olivier Panis and Alex Wurz.
In a nutshell the problem lies with the car: my understanding is that McLaren have got the copyright for the design and nobody can show the paint scheme without their permission. The sad thing is that McLaren are extremely proud of their paint scheme, but they are not prepared to allow the internet to show it to anybody. I reckon the reason the McLaren's keep failing at the start is to stop the television cameras showing the cars going round the track (that sound you can hear in the background is the McLaren team shredding my Team McLaren membership card...)
It's a source of contention and I know of so many proper websites that have been hit, as well as a good friend of mine who runs a very successful F1 merchandising company. I do know the story behind the battle with davidcoulthard.com and hakkinen.com but I can't say any more for legal reasons. But if the site I write for - free of charge and on a purely voluntary basis to promote Mika, McLaren and their sponsors without it costing them a penny - bites the dust you lot will be the first to know about it.

Best wishes

Suzy
Old 16 Jun 2001, 17:17 (Ref:105909)   #16
Niall
Rookie

Small question.

Why aren't TAG McLaren not sueing any of the big websites like f1.com and atlasf1.com

They have a lot of pictures of the mcLarens.

Niall
Old 16 Jun 2001, 19:52 (Ref:105939)   #17
Toca
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Suzy
The guy who runs davidcoulthard.com also runs hakkinen.com and that's in trouble too. Not to mention sites run by fans for the likes of Nick Heidfeld, Olivier Panis and Alex Wurz.
In a nutshell the problem lies with the car: my understanding is that McLaren have got the copyright for the design and nobody can show the paint scheme without their permission. The sad thing is that McLaren are extremely proud of their paint scheme, but they are not prepared to allow the internet to show it to anybody. I reckon the reason the McLaren's keep failing at the start is to stop the television cameras showing the cars going round the track (that sound you can hear in the background is the McLaren team shredding my Team McLaren membership card...)
It's a source of contention and I know of so many proper websites that have been hit, as well as a good friend of mine who runs a very successful F1 merchandising company. I do know the story behind the battle with davidcoulthard.com and hakkinen.com but I can't say any more for legal reasons. But if the site I write for - free of charge and on a purely voluntary basis to promote Mika, McLaren and their sponsors without it costing them a penny - bites the dust you lot will be the first to know about it.

Best wishes

Suzy
Well said.........
Old 16 Jun 2001, 19:55 (Ref:105940)   #18
Toca
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Niall
Small question.

Why aren't TAG McLaren not sueing any of the big websites like f1.com and atlasf1.com

Niall
Perhaps they havn't got around to them - I have framed my two letters, ok it's very sad to do that, but I got mine last year... Perhaps I was the first site to get them.
Old 16 Jun 2001, 21:20 (Ref:105963)   #19
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi folks

I think they are going for big organisations too. I do know of two companies who got into trouble - and one of them is a rather successful publishing company. However, I don't know the full story behind the dispute between McLaren and the Publisher's so I cannot comment on the situation.

Kind regards

Suzy
Old 16 Jun 2001, 21:55 (Ref:105983)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hey Toca, any clues about your website ???
Old 16 Jun 2001, 21:55 (Ref:105984)   #21
economy_waffle
Racer

maybe mclosers are just going to sue the small websites cos they own the big ones...i can feel a conspirocy coming on here...
Old 17 Jun 2001, 07:28 (Ref:106080)   #22
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
This is Just Stupid!!!!!

I can't believe that McLarens sponsors would approve of them banning extra exposure. No wonder this team is going backwards.

They should cut spending in the legal department and put it into the software department for Lunch control where it's trully needed.

Idiots - so sue me
Old 17 Jun 2001, 14:31 (Ref:106158)   #23
formula-3000net
Racer

formula-3000net should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex

They should cut spending in the legal department and put it into the software department for Lunch control where it's trully needed.
Mmm, Lunch control - I'm sure Mika and David would be very upset if they had to eat cold food because McLaren's software kept cutting the power to the microwave oven!
Old 17 Jun 2001, 15:04 (Ref:106164)   #24
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Niall
Small question.

Niall
It could be because they are paying for them.

Planetf1.com was sued for making fun of Mclaren, and they aren't allowed to make Mclaren screensavers, wallpaper etc but they are allowed to publish race pictures. I don't know why, why don't you email Mclaren and ask them?
Old 17 Jun 2001, 15:23 (Ref:106170)   #25
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Meanwhile, are any of the "I hate Schuey" sites being sued? There are ones that even distorts his face and make all sorts of fun at him. I see a difference in attitude here between McLaren on one side, and Ferrari/TGF on the other.

Of course those who really know will be aware that being made fun of proves that you have really made it, it's in fact an honour.