Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 26 Jun 2003, 01:43 (Ref:643289)   #1
Alpina
Veteran

Alpina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The time has come......

to get rid of the yellow Scooby doo. Due to matrimonial reasons I was left running about in the Impreza Sport Special for the last 9 months. (The rust has not yet been sorted on the Alpina) Now it is a good car and there have been times when I have been very glad of it as it is fantastic in the snow. But... I need a hatchback for carrying stuff and it really wasn't fast enough for me so I am going to trade it in. So what am I going to get to replace it?
The obvious choice is a 5 door Impreza turbo and I am going to pursue that option but what else is there? I really don't want to go FWD so I am considering an A3 quattro or an A4 avant quattro but they are expensive and I don't know how they drive as I do want something with a bit of life about. Skoda Octavia: has anyone any experience of them?
Any other options?
Old 26 Jun 2003, 02:48 (Ref:643310)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Impreza WRX 5-door would be my first choice. After that, you'd have to look at Audis and Volvos. Do they have the Suzuki Aero or the Toyota Matrix there? No turbos on those, but they've got pretty spirited performance.

Scoobies are a great deal when you consider what other cars with the same features cost.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 26 Jun 2003 at 02:55.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 11:38 (Ref:643619)   #3
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can heartily recommend a new 5 dr WRX. Brilliant beast.

I've not driven an Octavia yet - the vRS is a decent looking thing and superb value. They also do a 4WD 1.8T (150bhp I think) which could be worth a look - especially in top of the range trim.

Before I bought the Scooby, I wasn't really looking at hatches that closely so I'm afraid I can't offer much else.

One thought - if you want something really good for the snow but also quite quick - and if you can cope with the bland looks and thirst for fuel - how about a Subaru Forrester Turbo?
Old 26 Jun 2003, 16:01 (Ref:643847)   #4
Alpina
Veteran

I have driven a Forester but it is too slow and too high for my tastes. I want a sports car rather than a 4x4 if you know what I mean.
Old 27 Jun 2003, 01:23 (Ref:644252)   #5
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Focus WRC for about $40,000 CDN ?? Me too !!
Old 27 Jun 2003, 17:24 (Ref:644959)   #6
sunflower
Rookie

sunflower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm having a Type R test drive tomorrow - I'll let you know what it's like!
Old 27 Jun 2003, 20:03 (Ref:645065)   #7
Alpina
Veteran

I have been round a racetrack in a type R. they are fast and handle well. FWD though!
Old 28 Jun 2003, 20:21 (Ref:645615)   #8
sunflower
Rookie

sunflower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As mentioned above Type Rs are v quick & it didn't even struggle in high gears (5/6th) at low speeds in town - fab car. The engine at idle is so quiet it doesn't even sound turned on.

The gear stick is on the dash so I kept missing it to start with then when back in my own car I kept wanting to move my hand towards the dash & missing the gear stick again.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 11:30 (Ref:663769)   #9
Alpina
Veteran

Well it is done. I am getting a 1999 impreza turbo sportwagon. It even has a towbar which is just what i need to take my racing wheels to the trackday. I can't find anything else to match it.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 15:10 (Ref:664000)   #10
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
May I congratulate you on an absolutely excellent purchase!!

You might find www.sidc.co.uk useful - one of their top bods lives in Aberdeen so there's a few northern meets too...

And I can recommend www.scoobysport.co.uk when you get the bug to modify it ... Pete Croney is the proprieter, and current chair of SIDC

Last edited by garcon; 17 Jul 2003 at 15:11.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 02:21 (Ref:664513)   #11
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good choice.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 10:51 (Ref:664754)   #12
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Beats me how Wrex hasn't found this thread. You can all be greatful, endless drivel about horizontally opposed toy cars with only four (count 'em) cylinders.

Oh, sorry, you guys like them?
Old 18 Jul 2003, 11:27 (Ref:664782)   #13
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Have you been told today Moffat?

Well done mate. I remember some loser on the forum, I may have mentioned his name already saying V8's were the way to go instead of Turbo's.

What was your new car again Muffit?
Old 18 Jul 2003, 12:01 (Ref:664800)   #14
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sure it's a turbo - but she packs more than four up and down things.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 12:01 (Ref:664801)   #15
Airhead
Veteran

sorry sideways things???
Old 18 Jul 2003, 12:04 (Ref:664802)   #16
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
And those two extra things weigh what, about 400kg?
Old 18 Jul 2003, 12:16 (Ref:664815)   #17
Airhead
Veteran

No, that's the extra metal to let real men behind the wheel baby. Plus with an extra 90 kws, you don't notice it.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 12:26 (Ref:664829)   #18
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
I'm assuming then you dont stop or turn?
Old 18 Jul 2003, 13:20 (Ref:664887)   #19
Airhead
Veteran

Umm, what for?

Old ladies or something?
Old 18 Jul 2003, 13:34 (Ref:664903)   #20
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Hey Moff, if I ever happen to bring my car 12,000 miles to Oz, I'll give you a call...

You, me, XR6, WRX, Surfers Paradise - we'll sort this out properly
Old 18 Jul 2003, 13:38 (Ref:664909)   #21
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
I offered the same some time ago on a wet great ocean road Garcon, and strangely, he did'nt turn up
Old 18 Jul 2003, 17:43 (Ref:665113)   #22
Alpina
Veteran

I have been to a couple of the SIDC track days at Knockhill. Seems to be a good club. However my intention is to scare the P1s with my Fiesta. which I will tow to the track in my Spurtwagon. honestly!
Old 19 Jul 2003, 07:24 (Ref:665454)   #23
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Excellent! That sounds like much more fun than tooling 'round the track in just another Scooby!

And I can just imagine the faces of the poor P1 and modded STi owners as you go flying by!
Old 19 Jul 2003, 10:03 (Ref:665502)   #24
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
A little bit late but:

I've been driving a Skoda Octavia for 1 1/2 years (Diesel, 2001), and it's an excelent car.

About just as good as the Volvo V40 (Diesel, 2000) I drove before. (In fact quite a bit better, because it was a newer model, and because the Skoda had a lot more luxury).
The Skoda Octavia is something like a (VW Golf sized) VW Passat, but cheaper than a VW Golf or a Seat Leon.
Old 19 Jul 2003, 18:11 (Ref:665711)   #25
Alpina
Veteran

Garcon. I don't know if I will I just want to give it a try. My pal in his Caterham is only slower than the P1s.