Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

View Poll Results: Which car do they choose for the WEC race???
BMW M6 16 34.78%
BMW Z5 15 32.61%
New Coupe based on 7 series platform 7 15.22%
i8 (without hybrid) 3 6.52%
Others (Please stated the car) 5 10.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10 Dec 2016, 18:56 (Ref:3695176)   #76
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
The question is:
The M8 will be a mid-engine super car? or a luxury super boat?
We can only hope for the former but with the rumours of the 7 series platform sharing....don't hold your breath. I'd expect it to use some spec of their twin turbo V8 though.
Old 10 Dec 2016, 18:58 (Ref:3695177)   #77
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
He took a bathroom break after Petit...in a gas station parking lot.
And on top of that he got charged with disorderly conduct and vandalism for the incident I believe.
Old 10 Dec 2016, 19:23 (Ref:3695184)   #78
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
If it's a super coupe, hopefully it's something nice to look at and isn't so huge like the current M6 and Nissan GTR. The Lexus RC F is pretty big too.
Old 10 Dec 2016, 20:38 (Ref:3695192)   #79
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
And on top of that he got charged with disorderly conduct and vandalism for the incident I believe.
'Murica! In Germany that'd be a €50 fine and nothing more of it...
Old 10 Dec 2016, 23:42 (Ref:3695206)   #80
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
He'd probably be let off with a fine and maybe some form of financial compensation for the gas station's owner under Georgia state law. Depends on what the prosecutor wants to do.

I think that the disorderly conduct charge relates to being drunk and vandalism relates to going Postal 2 on the gas pump.
Old 11 Dec 2016, 10:58 (Ref:3695258)   #81
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
M8 Super boat, surely. Can't see how a top secret, mid-engined supercar could be developed in total secrecy in time for a 2018 launch.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...ental-gt-speed

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...ed-development
Old 11 Dec 2016, 14:18 (Ref:3695278)   #82
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
M8 Super boat, surely. Can't see how a top secret, mid-engined supercar could be developed in total secrecy in time for a 2018 launch.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...ental-gt-speed

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...ed-development
There were rumors of a BMW mid-engine supercar but I think you are right and the M8 will be a super boat
http://www.bmwblog.com/tag/bmw-m8/

Thinking about things in favor of a super boat I come to my mind the long tail GT1 that had a great diffuser and higher final speed that is very good in Le Mans.
In line like Porsche did with the engine position I think they are going to retract as much as possible to the engine place, maybe included inside the cabin of the car and the driving seat is close to the back seat of the original car.
Old 11 Dec 2016, 14:23 (Ref:3695280)   #83
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
If it was based on the i8..then yeah.
Old 11 Dec 2016, 18:35 (Ref:3695328)   #84
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will it be even bigger than their M6 GT3 car?
Old 11 Dec 2016, 18:53 (Ref:3695333)   #85
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentley speed 8 View Post
Will it be even bigger than their M6 GT3 car?
The M6 have 4.89 m. Some rumors said that the M8 will have more of 5 m.
Old 11 Dec 2016, 22:32 (Ref:3695364)   #86
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A long rear overhang would mean potentially a very long rear diffuser. And with an engine bay big enough for a twin turbo V12 there must be the possibility to move a smaller V8 quite far back.

I don't know. If you can get competitive performance out of a mobile brick like the Bentley GT3 I'm sure you could do something useful with an M8.
Old 12 Dec 2016, 03:50 (Ref:3695407)   #87
Articus
Veteran

Quote:
A long rear overhang would mean potentially a very long rear diffuser. And with an engine bay big enough for a twin turbo V12 there must be the possibility to move a smaller V8 quite far back.

I don't know. If you can get competitive performance out of a mobile brick like the Bentley GT3 I'm sure you could do something useful with an M8.
but never at Le Mans. Sure on a smaller circuit the drag penalty is low.

BMW has always had issues sending large frontal area sedans down the mulsanne....Even when they have all the BOP in their favor. It will never go down the straights like a Ford GT thats for sure.

Would atleast be amusing for them to race one of the X series cars. The X6 M GTE perhaps
Old 12 Dec 2016, 09:38 (Ref:3695459)   #88
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Would atleast be amusing for them to race one of the X series cars. The X6 M GTE perhaps
There's no better way to ridicule BoP but for each manufacturer to send their SUVs to race (Say, Porsche Cayennes, Audi Q7s, Ford should bring a 150, and Ferrari retains their true race car as they've always done)
Old 12 Dec 2016, 09:40 (Ref:3695462)   #89
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who knows, maybe it will be a reality in 10-15 years time with how BoP is going.
Old 12 Dec 2016, 14:19 (Ref:3695511)   #90
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
BMW Confirms Full M Version i8 Is Coming: Get Ready For The BMW i8M. Perhaps they will use this mid-engine body in the GTE car.
http://www.carbuzz.com/m/Article.aspx?Id=36829
Old 12 Dec 2016, 15:33 (Ref:3695522)   #91
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
They won't.

It's a supertanker GTE car.
Old 13 Dec 2016, 19:05 (Ref:3695914)   #92
GriffM3
Racer

United States
Houston, TX
GriffM3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Matt you seem so definitive that it will be a supertanker...do you have inside information or are you just making and educated guess?
Old 14 Dec 2016, 05:55 (Ref:3696028)   #93
AkioAsakura95
Veteran

AkioAsakura95 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAkioAsakura95 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffM3 View Post
Matt you seem so definitive that it will be a supertanker...do you have inside information or are you just making and educated guess?
@GriffM3

You are right!!!!! It is not definitive that BMW use supertanker car as GTE car because of the competitor like Ford , Ferrari , Corvette and so on are very competitive and aggressive and GTE car competitor are different than GT3 car. BMW M6 GT3 won Spa 24 hour race while BMW M6 GTLM winless in 2016 season.

So BMW Motorsport can't make the final decision about the GTE car for today.
Old 19 Dec 2016, 21:53 (Ref:3697220)   #94
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The fact that everything from BMW leans toward them racing the M8, most likely a turbo V8 with the V12 model being an even heavier 'true GT' over sportscar. But then as someone who is shopping BMWs (M4 specifically) and reads actual BMW information over the most useless and incorrect wishful thinking that gets repeated here I guess you could say reading and taking a logical guess. Also converting an i8 to ACO GT racing is near impossible without making a new car, you can NOT remove the electric motors and run on the petrol engine as it is built. Part of why I felt the IMSA car was a stop gap after not getting hybrid rules for GT racing, an i8 GTE car was their goal but think we're a few years off for hybrid GTE but think it is coming.

Oh yeah, and the fact they trademarked and licensed M8, M8 GT, M8 GTS and M8 GTR this spring and multiple BMW trackers have followed the 8 series mules in testing in Europe and the western US. Believe they also grabbed a mess of 8x's, 840, 850 and 860 believed to be the new style engine coding, with xi versions of 840 and 850 as well. Sorry, not a mid-engine car but very similar to the M6 in length and width. Most likely with the M8 making extensive use of lightweight materials, turbo V8 engine and for the street most likely AWD. There have been rumors of everything from the TT I6 all the way to an NA V12, possibly with the 6 series as the fat heavy boulevard car with 4 series engine and the 8 being V8, TTV8, V12 for regular, high test (M8) and cruiser. Although apparently BMW NA is not a fan of keeping anything 6x around, not well received and dealers have a hard time moving non-Gran Coupe models.

And do NOT mix the lack of wins with the chassis. RLL has not been helping themselves at all, their drivers have made Bamber look calm and Krohn look fast at times and their engineering has been lackluster at best. Plus this IMSA car has always felt like a test bed for how to rebuild the OKL platform for future use in racing and an ACO compliant car, especially with their usual suspension points being all wrong for racing.

Last edited by broadrun96; 19 Dec 2016 at 21:59.
Old 19 Dec 2016, 22:12 (Ref:3697225)   #95
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I think people are wanting to see an actual sportscar run in the wec instead of the same old from BMW (sedan based coupes). If it's not, there's nothing we can do to change that. But it would be great if they ran the new Supra/z5 shared platform instead of a big boulevard cruiser.
Old 20 Dec 2016, 02:58 (Ref:3697278)   #96
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I think people are wanting to see an actual sportscar run in the wec instead of the same old from BMW (sedan based coupes). If it's not, there's nothing we can do to change that. But it would be great if they ran the new Supra/z5 shared platform instead of a big boulevard cruiser.
A long car have more speed in Le mans, also can have a biggest diffuser and the rules allow to put the engine quite far back. Although the height and size of the car cabin may be negative. I sincerely would like to see the car before I have an opinion.
Old 21 Dec 2016, 16:37 (Ref:3697647)   #97
GriffM3
Racer

United States
Houston, TX
GriffM3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice reply Broadrun and I can understand your thinking. Here is more speculation that an M version of the i8 will be coming sooner rather than later. Question will be is will it be a hybrid/engine combo or engine only? The NSX has seemed to work those issues out, maybe BMW can to?

http://www.torquenews.com/1084/if-yo...been-confirmed
Old 21 Dec 2016, 16:41 (Ref:3697648)   #98
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
It's an i car, it'll be hybrid.
Old 21 Dec 2016, 20:03 (Ref:3697688)   #99
Mike E
Veteran

The i8 has a transverse, 3 cylinder, 1500cc engine. It's tiny. Would a twin turbo, V8, 4000cc engine fit transversely in the engine bay?

I would rather it were an i8 over an M8 but it just doesn't seem very likely. Although in light of the mid-engined 911, anything seems possible...

From the 2017 regs:
Position : Free.
Orientation : Free, but the engine must remain longitudinal (or transverse) if originally longitudinal (or transverse).

Unless hybrids are allowed in 2018...
Old 29 Dec 2016, 04:01 (Ref:3698917)   #100
AkioAsakura95
Veteran

AkioAsakura95 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAkioAsakura95 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The i8 has a transverse, 3 cylinder, 1500cc engine. It's tiny. Would a twin turbo, V8, 4000cc engine fit transversely in the engine bay?

I would rather it were an i8 over an M8 but it just doesn't seem very likely. Although in light of the mid-engined 911, anything seems possible...

From the 2017 regs:
Position : Free.
Orientation : Free, but the engine must remain longitudinal (or transverse) if originally longitudinal (or transverse).

Unless hybrids are allowed in 2018...
I think they will revise this regulation by learning from Gabura Racing that they tuned non-hybrid BMW i8 , so BMW Motorsport can build the M version of BMW i8 as well as the GTE version of BMW i8

https://www.facebook.com/GaburaRacin...80178318757572
http://gabura.de/automotive/