Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 29 Aug 2004, 08:44 (Ref:1080418)   #1
Steve Gibson
Racer

Steve Gibson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Brighter Side Of Life

Enough of the doom and gloom, a lot of what we seem to discuss is the down side of what we do.
Circuits that hate Marshals
Marshals that hate Circuits
Clubs that can't organise a drinking session in an Alcohol factory.
People that are dead.

Let's have some positive thoughts, where have you been what you have done and who you have met and what a good day out you had.
Old 29 Aug 2004, 17:10 (Ref:1080718)   #2
Andrew Gunnell
Racer

United Kingdom
stratford-upon-avon
Andrew Gunnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I marshal at Prescott and at Shelsley Walsh. Where the marshals are all very friendly and there is a good atmophere between marhsals and drivers.
Old 29 Aug 2004, 18:26 (Ref:1080791)   #3
Steve Gibson
Racer

Andrew
As the first person to reply to this thread and obviously have a good time doing what you do, send me a PM with your address and I will send you one of our DDMC "We Are Mugs For Motorsport" coffee mugs
And to all the rest of you out there let's have more positive feedback and the happiest story between now and next weekend will get a mug as well.
Old 29 Aug 2004, 19:23 (Ref:1080846)   #4
wardworld
Rookie

wardworld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just got back from Donnington.
Congrats to James Pickford
I didn't see a "Battle bus" on the campsite but thanks to the marshals and for the "streight tow" I got to bump start my dead car. A bit of OT on the campsite eh lads

Thanks to Barry, Steve, and Paul at post 7 for making it a fun and entertaining weekend. I think I need to rest my arm after waving a wet yellow flag in a force 9 gale, all good fun.
Old 29 Aug 2004, 19:36 (Ref:1080856)   #5
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I too have been at Donington for the past two days (going again tomorrow as well!) I've a great time with the Italians who are all delightful people, especially Fabrizio who I think is something important to the series.

The Seat boys (and girl) did cause me a little concern yesterday but that was all sorted and James Pickford, bless his little cotton socks, gave me not the bag of sweets he promised me but a whole box load, which will be at sign on in the morning for all to share. The Seat mechanics who worked the pit lane exit lights for me were lovely and I was extremely grateful to them for their help.

The BOSS formula are always a lovely lot and it was good to see Scott Mansell having a challenge for a change. Shame he didn't manage to pass Klaas though! Despite their battle, when the safety car board came out on the startline they'd almost stopped by the time they passed me at the pit exit. Well done, both of you.

The other series were all great people to be around too.

The few pit marshals we had worked extremely hard and the assembly area team of two joined in the fun as well!

All in all a perfect example of teamwork, cameraderie and integration between marshals, teams and drivers.

Sheila
Old 29 Aug 2004, 20:06 (Ref:1080878)   #6
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been at Silverstone with the 750MC first weekend flaging enjoyed it very much. Great racing everything finnished well on time. Thank you to the people from the Formula Vees for the Barbaque and beer last night it was a great weekend.
Old 29 Aug 2004, 20:13 (Ref:1080889)   #7
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh, the other thing I forgot to add - I was having such a good time it was 4pm before I realised I hadn't had any lunch
Old 29 Aug 2004, 20:54 (Ref:1080917)   #8
craig hope
Racer

England
near darlington
craig hope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
steve gibson for me i started to marshall about 2 years ago and he has always put me in the right direction nothing is to much for him, even his cooking passes oh and the ale...cheers steve keep it up ...
Old 30 Aug 2004, 06:21 (Ref:1081206)   #9
Ty Nicholson
Racer

Ty Nicholson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watching the sparkle in Steve's eyes as his posts a Croft 'virgin' to Clearvaux at sign-on always good for a laugh.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 08:40 (Ref:1081277)   #10
Steve Gibson
Racer

Craig thinks I am an
Ty thinks i am the devil
I just like being part of what i consider a big happy family doing what we enjoy.
However I must admit to sending the odd one or two to the gravel, mostly drivers who want a signature just so they know what it is like to wade through the trap, and maybe not go there when they are racing

Last edited by Steve Gibson; 30 Aug 2004 at 08:46.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 10:19 (Ref:1081354)   #11
PipSqueak111
Racer

England
Deepest, darkest Devon
PipSqueak111 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a fun weekend at Rockingham. We were short, so I was acting up as observer and flaggie (and IO and course ). And although a little tentative on Saturday morning, I really quite enjoyed it. I wasn't particularly bothered about upgrading before, so was only collecting attendance signatures, but I think from next season I might start working towards an upgrade. Can you upgrade straight from Course to Observer?!

A big hello to the Caterham driver and his wife from Saturday. They came out on post and were very friendly. Shame they were on 17 on their own for the day, but they were still smiling at the end of the day which was good to see. Hope we see them out to play again.

And a thank you to Andy Bumstead (sp?) and Stephen Green for flag training and practice at Brands earlier this season. I would have struggled with flagging this weekend if it wasn't for them getting me to have a go at the Britcar and A20 meets this season.

I'm a happy marshal

Phill
Old 30 Aug 2004, 12:21 (Ref:1081458)   #12
Pete Howarth
Veteran

England
New Waltham
Pete Howarth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the people I meet through motorsport, and enjoy motorsport.
If there are things I particularly liked or disliked, I take the time to tell the chief marshal.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 13:25 (Ref:1081525)   #13
JLD
Racer

JLD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Always enjoyed being close to the action, the atmosphere and, most importantly of all, the cameradery of fellow marshals.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 13:43 (Ref:1081539)   #14
73_Gstock
Racer

United States
Iowa, lovely Iowa
73_Gstock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can I go back a few weeks?

Anyone remember Gnomex's plea for marshalls with the most different disciplines in one meeting? Well, I took him up on it and met the friendliest group of drivers, marshalls, circuit staff, and spectators any where I've ever been. I got to do some things I've never experienced before (start line for standing starts for one as we do rollers). They gave me some unique patches for my whites, which I get asked about all the time. And made me feel like a long lost brother. It was worth the five hour drive from York down to Lydden to go play at the friendliest little circuit in Britain.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 14:44 (Ref:1081581)   #15
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just back from Gurston, great week-end.

Dedicated marshals' camping area.
Friendly and approachable drivers who nearly all wave after the last run.
Barbecue on Saturday night attended by marshals, drivers, organisers, photographers and organisers.
Met several people I didn't know before, and found they were just as friendly as the ones I had met before.
Excellent motorsport, terrible weather!

and

Proud to be part of a team who had to perform one of the most difficult extractions I've ever been at, and did it extremely well, with the even better result of the driver being back at the track later the same day to say thanks. He was partly very fortunate and partly enclosed in a very well bult car which means practically no injury (although he may look like he's wearing seat belts when he takes his clothes off!)

It's why we all do it, and why I love it, and especially why I want it always to be like this.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 17:57 (Ref:1081738)   #16
Tracey
Racer

England
In front of a PC
Tracey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My best day's marshalling? Probably the next one I do!

I remember one particular day in my first season of marshalling. GT's at Donington. I was paired up with a very experienced guy, who not only taught me a fair bit about marshalling, but also kept me as entertained as much as the cars did with his conversation. The weather was really grotty and wet, but he made the event feel like sunshine! I've marshalled with him several times since, and he always stops to say hello and have a chat whenever he sees me.

It's the people like this that keep me marshalling as much as the racing does.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 18:36 (Ref:1081757)   #17
ss24355261
Racer

United Kingdom
mansfield
ss24355261 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
steve swallow
i had a great time i went to donington over the weekend. i was on post 12 on Sat and Sun. We didnt have too much to do but had a great time all the same i didnt marshal Monday as i took my nephew to watch the racing for the first time he thought that it was great.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 20:11 (Ref:1081837)   #18
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wardworld,
Sorry, much messing about this weekend meant that the bus was there Saturday (post39), but then had to go home, missed Sunday, and went back today in my normal car, but then had to leave early - was one of those weekends!!!.

Apologies to Fred Bromley for not making it on Sunday, and then deserting my post today (p7) - hope I didn't miss too much in the last three races today.

Al.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 20:15 (Ref:1081842)   #19
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Green
wardworld,
Sorry, much messing about this weekend meant that the bus was there Saturday (post39), but then had to go home, missed Sunday, and went back today in my normal car, but then had to leave early - was one of those weekends!!!.

Apologies to Fred Bromley for not making it on Sunday, and then deserting my post today (p7) - hope I didn't miss too much in the last three races today.

Al.
Was it you who broke the green flag then, Al?

Hope you didn't miss the Powder Coated Jag - that was one of the best things I've seen in years! Absolutely hysterical it was - I know there's some photos doing the rounds - perhaps someone will be kind enough to post them on here to share with us all?
Old 30 Aug 2004, 21:12 (Ref:1081894)   #20
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has to be all the friends I have made whilst involved in motorsport. I also met the Mrs Flagwaver at Cadwell Park (she'll have to tell you if it is a good or a bad thing though)
Old 30 Aug 2004, 21:17 (Ref:1081898)   #21
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
I met my husband through marshalling. In fact we spent the second half of our honeymoon in the pit lane at Rockingham for the CART meeting in 2001. Brilliant! Much better than 2 weeks at Sandals Antigua!
Old 30 Aug 2004, 21:28 (Ref:1081905)   #22
bigal
Rookie

England
Bedfordshire
bigal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone 750MC this last weekend was a typical enjoyable clubbie, including hopeful paddock announcements like 'does anybody have a radiator for a mk2 XR2 that a competitior can use?' (I think he found one). Hello again to Steve Spurr who I was flagging with on Saturday and sorry for nearly knocking you over when I jumped down off the armco - at least my overalls don't look so new now. On Sunday I was 'promoted' to observer (too many meetings... - sorry that's not what this thread is about) and discovered that from the box at Maggotts you can see the Xcape indoor ski slope in Milton Keynes, over 11 miles away. The wind and showers made things a bit more lively, a racer friend says it was hard work on the club straight but she was on the rev limiter past the pits and set a new personal best time.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 23:11 (Ref:1081964)   #23
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marshalling gives me far better stories to tell at parties than fishing would. And I don't have to buy a bass boat to do it.

Besides, I love my marshalling friends.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 23:42 (Ref:1081982)   #24
danccooke
Veteran

England
West Sussex
danccooke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have to agree blueflagger...and i love fishing, i have just spent the weekend at thruxton getting home by 7 this evening and starting work at midnight, but whenever i have been marshalling (most weekends) the guys at work want to know all about it, i have tried to get them to come along but they are all too sensible.
Chris and Susan the other three guys (i am useless with names sorry)it was great working with you this weekend oh yeah and my wife you were bearable as always
Old 31 Aug 2004, 08:05 (Ref:1082331)   #25
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well Scott Mansell's overtaking manoeuvre at the Old Hairpin at Donington on Sunday during the BOSS race made my day. I assessed him as booked for the gravel but he made it look easy. Brilliant stuff. Pity he is in a dead-end (in terms of motorsport career progression) series.

(And no, it did not matter that he lost the lead later on that lap. )

Regards

Jim