Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 26 May 2015, 12:04 (Ref:3541368)   #1
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Electric Hill Climb Cars

I was competing at Prescott over the weekend and Barry Williams was competing in a Renault Zoe. It went quite well, if silently, but needed "plugged in" between each run.
It reminded me that not too many years ago there were plans for a electric hill climb single seater. I am sure I saw photos of it but did it ever reach a start line?
Old 26 May 2015, 14:47 (Ref:3541409)   #2
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm thinking that in a few years, a used Formula E car might be fun at a hill climb.
Old 8 Aug 2015, 19:32 (Ref:3564642)   #3
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent Motorsp View Post
I was competing at Prescott over the weekend and Barry Williams was competing in a Renault Zoe. It went quite well, if silently, but needed "plugged in" between each run.
It reminded me that not too many years ago there were plans for a electric hill climb single seater. I am sure I saw photos of it but did it ever reach a start line?
I think that Graeme Wight Jnr was involved in a plan for an electric hillclimb car, called a super bee or something like that but never quite got off the ground.

Electric does make a degree of sense for a quick hillclimb car, electric motors have a great deal of torque and acceleration, so you'd think that they'd be good going uphill for short blasts of less than a minute. I guess that the downside is a) cost and b) making sure the batteries are tip top for every run. Most hillclimb venues in the UK aren't exactly the pits at Silverstone.

There are a couple of decent electric drag racers though, one owned by Johnny Smith of 5th Gear and another a VW Beetle that does a sub-10 second 1/4 mile.

Just looked, it was the Bee Four http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...mpionship.html
Old 9 Aug 2015, 06:42 (Ref:3564793)   #4
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
I think that Graeme Wight Jnr was involved in a plan for an electric hillclimb car, called a super bee or something like that but never quite got off the ground.

Electric does make a degree of sense for a quick hillclimb car, electric motors have a great deal of torque and acceleration, so you'd think that they'd be good going uphill for short blasts of less than a minute. I guess that the downside is a) cost and b) making sure the batteries are tip top for every run. Most hillclimb venues in the UK aren't exactly the pits at Silverstone.

There are a couple of decent electric drag racers though, one owned by Johnny Smith of 5th Gear and another a VW Beetle that does a sub-10 second 1/4 mile.

Just looked, it was the Bee Four http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...mpionship.html
I don't know what regs they are running under, but weight is a problem in a hill climb car. Massive problem.
Old 9 Aug 2015, 12:00 (Ref:3564839)   #5
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I don't know what regs they are running under, but weight is a problem in a hill climb car. Massive problem.
I wouldn't have thought weight would be a big issue in an electric hill climber, at least if it was designed as electric from the start and used the technology well. four lightweight electric motors close to the wheels replaces the IC engine gearbox and transmission. Of course you need a high current battery, but with a hill climb run lasting thirty or forty seconds it doesn't actually need to be terribly big does it.
Old 9 Aug 2015, 16:02 (Ref:3564872)   #6
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don Garlits has an electric drag car in the us that has done 7.25 seconds and is now looking for a 200mph run.

Hill cars, well look no further than Pikes Peak, that is pretty much where the big development is done with Tajima, Mitisubishi, Honda etc.
Old 9 Aug 2015, 16:30 (Ref:3564878)   #7
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Hill cars, well look no further than Pikes Peak, that is pretty much where the big development is done with Tajima, Mitisubishi, Honda etc.
Valid point, Rhys Millen did a very impressive run at Pikes Peak this year, and that's a 9 minute climb.
Old 9 Aug 2015, 20:43 (Ref:3564958)   #8
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We've had a Tesla competing a few times at Shelsley, and a BMW i8 came up earlier in the year, although I'm not convinced from the sound it made that it was running entirely on electric power.

It would be good if they did come in decent numbers because they'd have to put charging points in the paddocks. Which means us marshals could plug our caravans in...
Old 9 Aug 2015, 21:19 (Ref:3564978)   #9
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think what you are getting is a slow drip feed.

it will come, and battery power is the most simple, easy to use power system that manufacturers can offer for the next decade or so.

Guys like Garlits, Tajima and the tech guys at Merc, Audi, Porsche etc will already ahve awesome stuff up their sleeves, and they are shoving it at the top end of the market to grab headlines.

but some of the smaller stuff is where its at realy. that is what people will be buying.
Old 9 Aug 2015, 23:04 (Ref:3565017)   #10
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
I wouldn't have thought weight would be a big issue in an electric hill climber, at least if it was designed as electric from the start and used the technology well. four lightweight electric motors close to the wheels replaces the IC engine gearbox and transmission. Of course you need a high current battery, but with a hill climb run lasting thirty or forty seconds it doesn't actually need to be terribly big does it.
I guess you are right fourWheelDrift, the winner of Pikes Peak in the bikes was electric I think, and that's nine minutes! The torque also has to be a huge advantage.
Old 10 Aug 2015, 16:09 (Ref:3565141)   #11
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not just that there shouldn't be altitude problems that conventional fuel engines would have to consider. Not an issue here, but for Pikes Peak yes.
Old 31 Aug 2015, 20:01 (Ref:3570319)   #12
jo white
Rookie

United Kingdom
oxford
jo white should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am very eager to build an eletric single seater or sports libra, the only thing thats holding me back is a budget as currently all the motors/ components etc are very expensive + the regulations are an absolute minefield. .

Hopefully my involvement with an electric drag bike build (chassis part) will lead me to the right package as i have suggested i use (borrow) the electric package and bolt it into one of my new single seaters . (time will tell)
Old 12 Oct 2015, 23:18 (Ref:3582319)   #13
sambeeb
Rookie

Australia
sydney
sambeeb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a vid of an electric Radical SR8 at the king edward park, newcastle, australia hillclimb. Not sure what a petrol radical weighs but he said this car was 900kg but had 900nm and a better power and torque to weight ratio than a standard radical. The thing charged in 20mins from a pit truck with charger.

here it is in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-9w9c3YWrg.

To put it in perspective, he came 12th overall with a 40.07 when turbo 'busa dallaras were doing 36's to 38'. Fastest time was a v8 judd dallara with a low 34.

https://www.elmofo.com.au/