Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Aug 2014, 06:48 (Ref:3444754)   #51
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Yes, well done to all concerned for a great day! Just to put the record straight, Our Tim (Falce) and YT shared SC driving duties, with fellow Tenther Chris A and Fred on observer duties. It really was a TenTenths race, with posters marshalling, racing, officiating, photographing, and of course in charge of the whole thing!

Well done in particular to MGDavid for an excellent result in the MGZS, considering he wasn't planning for the car to do the whole 6hrs!

For some reason the SC was fitted with a transponder, and at one point after a few trips out was in 18th place! My suggestion of trying for fastest lap was not taken favourably, unfortunately......

Old 17 Aug 2014, 07:36 (Ref:3444759)   #52
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was great to catch up with a few folks. A big hug for Claire elicited the response 'Right, enough of that, sign on and get a tabard because you are (one of?) my official photographer today and I want you up on the gantry photographing the start'. Suckered again! 'Yes, boss'. This from my 'smaller' camera as I'm yet to load the other pics!:-
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF7381SS.jpg  
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 17 Aug 2014, 08:09 (Ref:3444762)   #53
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Thank you all so very much for

1 Helping us out where and when you did (Grant, Graham, Terri, Mr Bell and Mr Falce Mr A and Mr Turner for your photography and EVERYONE ELSE)

2 Enjoying it !!!!

The transponder was Julians idea for the safety car, it helps track where you are in race control since Snett went all up market with the new ops room (mind you...they now REALLY need to work on the Comms coming from the commentary box because its dreadful (MSV hear me!!)

Every year at about 6pm the day before I say "never again" and its gotten to the stage that even Evil Pumpkin said "we now have it as a tick box on your 'to do list' for the 360"
and every year at about 6.15 on the day i think "wow what an event....cant WAIT until next year"

Love ya all

on holiday for a couple of weeks but will look in on ya all......then start planning....for the 6th running of the ALTERNATIVE SIX HOUR!
Old 17 Aug 2014, 08:50 (Ref:3444764)   #54
Rikki Cann
Racer

England
Rochford Essex
Rikki Cann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks everyone it was a great event as usual, looking forward to 2015.
Old 17 Aug 2014, 12:13 (Ref:3444782)   #55
Unit 2 Racing
Racer

United Kingdom
Ormesby St. Margaret, Norfolk UK
Unit 2 Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great meeting again, I was one of the small number of paying spectators yesterday.

I could't hear the PA anywhere round the circuit (email sent to MSV).

Good job I had live timing on my phone. Also could we have the drivers names in the Programme? I had know idea who I was watching race, apart from the two young men in the safety car who's names were in the Programme.

Well done to all the drivers whoever they were.

There are people who drive racing cars and there are Racing Drivers. Gilles Villenuve
Old 17 Aug 2014, 12:25 (Ref:3444785)   #56
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
It was a great day plus I got some track time which has given me the bug to race again after a few months out. It was nice to finally meet Garcon and it was so good to see my favourite race official, John Smith again.
All in all an excellent day and I'm pleased to say that Claire still beats me in the grumpy stakes.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0511.jpg   IMG_0516.jpg   IMG_0518.jpg  

IMG_0520.jpg  

Last edited by Tim Falce; 17 Aug 2014 at 12:30.
Old 17 Aug 2014, 14:42 (Ref:3444796)   #57
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well I had a blast meeting everyone, always a pleasure to be giving out the crystal and the bubbly. Was smart this year and stuck two in the fridge. Pics to follow!
Old 17 Aug 2014, 15:14 (Ref:3444799)   #58
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
It was a great day plus I got some track time which has given me the bug to race again after a few months out. It was nice to finally meet Garcon and it was so good to see my favourite race official, John Smith again.
All in all an excellent day and I'm pleased to say that Claire still beats me in the grumpy stakes.
Tim It was a pleasure to have you with us and you and Mike Bell did us proud with a very professional job in the safety car - get it right and nobody notices - get it wrong and we all end up, appearing before the MSA at a tribunal!
Sorry we didn't get more time to chat - perhaps at the Victor Meldrew, if not before - you and I fit right in at that meeting!
Thanks again
Old 17 Aug 2014, 22:09 (Ref:3444864)   #59
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
360 MRC 6hrs of Snetterton

Was great to put a few more names and faces together and catch up with lots of others.

The spirit of this event epitomises why I love grass roots motorsport. The whole ethos is to get as many interesting cars on the grid as possible and then to try and make sure as many of them see the chequered flag as possible. And absolutely everyone buys into that.

Where else would you see a professional Britcar team line up against the family Sim in their fantastic Austin A40?

I have a renewed enthusiasm to get properly involved in helping to ensure this event and maybe others like it continue to add such great colour to the calendar.

I did notice Mike wasn't troubling the fastest lap times but he did knock 15 seconds off the SC's time!

On the point of driver names in the programme, in an ideal world yes, but I don't think we had a final list til about an hour before the race!
Old 17 Aug 2014, 22:21 (Ref:3444871)   #60
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post

On the point of driver names in the programme, in an ideal world yes, but I don't think we had a final list til about an hour before the race!
You are absoluely spot on! (We issued the entry list THAT MORNING and it was available from Race admin below race control)

Last edited by MartinSmith; 17 Aug 2014 at 22:27.
Old 17 Aug 2014, 22:55 (Ref:3444873)   #61
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post

I have a renewed enthusiasm to get properly involved in helping to ensure this event and maybe others like it continue to add such great colour to the calendar.
Be careful what you wish for!!!!!
Old 17 Aug 2014, 23:32 (Ref:3444877)   #62
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Must just say that as far as I'm aware there was NIL car to car contact all day - must be some kind of record and shows that it can be done.
In this age of BTCC driving tactics becoming 'apparently' accepted, a six hour race with the speed differentials from an Austin A40 to an Aston Martin Vantage leading to NO CONTACT is a record that all the drivers should be very proud. It CAN be done, even with experience ranging from 1st time drivers to WEC professionals and the trophy presentations being attended by ALL the drivers are indications of the spirit of the 360MRC. As we always say at 360, it's "Endurance Racing as it Should Be" and we make no apology for saying it again.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 06:24 (Ref:3444921)   #63
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I thought I had posted this yesterday, but obviously pressed the wrong button!

Seeing Tim's pics, reminds me to thank Rikki for continuing to race that gorgeous Aston. It really is a treat to watch and hear.

Thanks to Claire for letting me be involved in a small way, it was a very sociable and enjoyable day, and roll on next year!

Any thoughts from drivers on 200 layout as opposed to 300 used previously? I thought it worked well.

Old 18 Aug 2014, 06:50 (Ref:3444928)   #64
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Mike I think the 200 is the best option partly because I don't like the 300 but mainly because shorter lap times are better for spectators IMO. I must say I was impressed with the drivers control at the start, from my view from Claire's car it looked spot on with everyone keeping station.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 07:24 (Ref:3444936)   #65
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A few more pics:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0219SS.jpg   IMG_0223SS.jpg   IMG_0237SS.jpg  

IMG_0246SS.jpg   IMG_0263SS.jpg   IMG_0316SS.jpg  

"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 18 Aug 2014, 08:14 (Ref:3444939)   #66
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just a few of the grid lined up before they went out:
Attached Thumbnails
20140816_120150[1].jpg   20140816_120207[1].jpg   20140816_120220[1].jpg  

20140816_120232[1].jpg   20140816_120243[1].jpg   20140816_103313[1].jpg  

Old 19 Aug 2014, 07:55 (Ref:3445291)   #67
Unit 2 Racing
Racer

United Kingdom
I have had a reply from Jamie Hopper at MSV Re. the PA system.

Unfortunately becaues the Organising Club was using Radio Le Mans as its commentary provider the volumes on site were much lower than our system would normally provide.

They go on to say.

I have spoken with RLM about their service and they have assured me that the technical issues they had would be resolved if they were used by the club again next year.

So I'm not getting old & deaf, just old

As for the circuit I prefer the 200 circuit to much standing about with nothing happening for the spectator on the 300.

There are people who drive racing cars and there are Racing Drivers. Gilles Villenuve
Old 19 Aug 2014, 08:24 (Ref:3445304)   #68
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit 2 Racing View Post
I have had a reply from Jamie Hopper at MSV Re. the PA system.

Unfortunately becaues the Organising Club was using Radio Le Mans as its commentary provider the volumes on site were much lower than our system would normally provide.

They go on to say.

I have spoken with RLM about their service and they have assured me that the technical issues they had would be resolved if they were used by the club again next year.
I don't want to get into a debate on here but the fact that we used RLM (Unfortunately??????) Has NOTHING to do with it and Jamie knows it. We used RLM for the last four times of running the event!

There has been a lot of investment at Snetterton in respect of Race Control Operational area but there is still a need for investment in the commenrtary box and Jamie knows THAT as well
Old 19 Aug 2014, 09:32 (Ref:3445322)   #69
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit 2 Racing View Post
They go on to say.

I think what RLM meant was that they would bring more of their own kit next year to bypass the issues they had.

Still appears some investment is needed in comms/radio kit at Snett. It's a superb facility overall so it would be a shame for this not to be resolved. Of course everything costs money...
Old 19 Aug 2014, 09:32 (Ref:3445323)   #70
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
A few more pics:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0330SS.jpg   IMG_0342SS.jpg   IMG_0412SS.jpg  

IMG_0419SS.jpg   IMG_0492SS.jpg   IMG_0529SS.jpg  

Old 19 Aug 2014, 09:38 (Ref:3445325)   #71
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Great shots John! Definitely worthy of your 'official' status!
Old 19 Aug 2014, 11:09 (Ref:3445349)   #72
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm really glad that you all enjoyed it and that it went well. Thanks, Claire and John for keeping on persevering.

I will take part again, one day! If i do, I prefer the 300 because I think it helps balance things out more between the "handling cars" and the "power cars" and is an even better test of endurance. As for spectators? Hmmmm, I don't think the presence of a few should have an influence on the layout. If it was thousands that might be a different matter.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 13:01 (Ref:3445388)   #73
Unit 2 Racing
Racer

United Kingdom
I don't think the presence of a few should have an influence on the layout. If it was thousands that might be a different matter.[/QUOTE]

I agree this meeting is more for the drivers & teams who paid a lot more than I did to be there.

But as a spectator I prefer the 200 circuit.

Last edited by Unit 2 Racing; 19 Aug 2014 at 13:02. Reason: spelling

Old 19 Aug 2014, 13:05 (Ref:3445390)   #74
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
I didn't explore the spectator options too much this year but I quite like the 300 as a spectator cos you can view the whole infield section.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 13:35 (Ref:3445402)   #75
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

This is such a difficult decision. At the moment, opinion seems almost equally divided between the attractions of the 200 and 300 circuits. Because the 300 circuit costs more, which has to be passed on to the entry fee and the number of required marshals is greater (which we can never take for granted), I suspect we'll continue to look favorably at the 200 ..... but nothing has been finally decided for the future.