Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jun 2020, 09:35 (Ref:3982578)   #1501
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
There's only so many philanthropic billionaires out there, F1 will run out of them soon.
Particularly ones with children who hold Superlicences.
Old 18 Jun 2020, 21:08 (Ref:3982718)   #1502
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
According to this article on The China Daily, car sales are down and I've read a similar article from Reuters.

https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/2020...21727b678.html

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN21O1JL
The fact that car sales are down does not mean a drop in oil consumption, as more cars are sold than are scraped then demand for oil increases but perhaps not as fast as it was last year.
Old 18 Jun 2020, 22:02 (Ref:3982725)   #1503
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
The fact that car sales are down does not mean a drop in oil consumption, as more cars are sold than are scraped then demand for oil increases but perhaps not as fast as it was last year.
The IEA, International Energy Agency, is expecting oil demand to decline in 2020 and cites contraction in oil consumption in China.

https://www.iea.org/news/global-oil-...ily-on-markets

Maybe there should be a thread on oil consumption and production and its impact on Formula 1?

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 18 Jun 2020 at 22:08.
Old 24 Jun 2020, 09:02 (Ref:3983522)   #1504
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
New twist in the Rockit saga as apparently according to Dieter Rencken they are due to re-appear as a Mercedes sponsor, perhaps from Austria.

We also learn that Rockit terminated the agreement, not Williams..

https://www.racefans.net/2020/06/24/...okit-mercedes/
Old 24 Jun 2020, 10:07 (Ref:3983540)   #1505
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
How galling that must be for Williams then.
Old 24 Jun 2020, 12:09 (Ref:3983569)   #1506
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
New twist in the Rockit saga as apparently according to Dieter Rencken they are due to re-appear as a Mercedes sponsor, perhaps from Austria.

We also learn that Rockit terminated the agreement, not Williams..

https://www.racefans.net/2020/06/24/...okit-mercedes/

Ethics, Toto style, nice one Mercedes!
Old 24 Jun 2020, 12:59 (Ref:3983582)   #1507
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
How galling that must be for Williams then.
Yes. Tough pill to swallow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Ethics, Toto style, nice one Mercedes!
My perspective is that Mercedes (like everyone) has an advertising rate card. And if someone approaches them with a sponsorship deal, they should look at it. While we talk about teams like Mercedes and their deep pockets, they are not immune to questions of budget. Should Mercedes have turned them away? Especially if the money was going to go somewhere other than Williams.

It is sad for Williams, but sponsors move around and teams generally have no problem with stealing a sponsor from someone else. I suspect this was more about Rokit leaving Williams first, vs. Mercedes courting them away?

Richard
Old 24 Jun 2020, 13:13 (Ref:3983584)   #1508
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Indeed, we don’t know the full story. It’s the chicken and the egg. Did Rokit approach Merc or did Merc persuade Rokit? Either way you can’t blame the one that was approached, either one of them would have had a good deal presented to them
Old 24 Jun 2020, 13:47 (Ref:3983595)   #1509
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Must admit surprised by that, although I recall Merc do have form for that. IIRC they massively undercut somebody else to poach the BlackBerry deal. It’s difficult to compete commercially with someone who already has a full budget and doesn’t need the money.

Poaching from your customer does seem pretty poor on the face of it.
Old 24 Jun 2020, 15:16 (Ref:3983610)   #1510
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Must admit surprised by that, although I recall Merc do have form for that. IIRC they massively undercut somebody else to poach the BlackBerry deal. It’s difficult to compete commercially with someone who already has a full budget and doesn’t need the money.

Poaching from your customer does seem pretty poor on the face of it.
I remember Mercedes and Blackberry signing the sponsorship deal in 2013 but I don't remember anything about Mercedes poaching Blackberry from another team. I would have thought the deal with Rokit, will more likely be Rokit wanting to remain in F1 and therefore associating itself with currently the most successful team. It doesn't look good from a marketing perspective, if your logo is running around at the back of the field.
Old 24 Jun 2020, 15:21 (Ref:3983612)   #1511
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I remember Mercedes and Blackberry signing the sponsorship deal in 2013 but I don't remember anything about Mercedes poaching Blackberry from another team.
I can’t even remember which team was signing them, but the ratecard it was a 10 million deal and Merc came along and matched it, with all the same number of Paddock Club spots etc. for 2 million. Just because they could.
Old 24 Jun 2020, 15:34 (Ref:3983615)   #1512
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
they were doing stuff with Hamilton and Mclaren before their Merc deal i think. i cant recall what the deal was but the one thing that stands out were some viral videos of LH using his BB to remotely drive his Mclaren.

i feel like they were also providing enterprise solutions, secure data communications networks etc and the like as opposed to branding on the car.
Old 24 Jun 2020, 15:40 (Ref:3983617)   #1513
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
they were doing stuff with Hamilton and Mclaren before their Merc deal i think. i cant recall what the deal was but the one thing that stands out were some viral videos of LH using his BB to remotely drive his Mclaren.
That seems to be the suggestion in an article published by the FT:

'Mercedes poached Mr Hamilton from rival McLaren at the end of last season as part of a concerted effort to keep pace with F1’s strongest teams – McLaren, Red Bull and Ferrari.

Frank Boulben, BlackBerry’s chief marketing officer, said the brand and the team had matching strategies of recovery in their fields.
[...]
Mr Hamilton was also “a big part of the appeal”, Mr Boulben said.

'
Old 24 Jun 2020, 15:43 (Ref:3983619)   #1514
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I can’t even remember which team was signing them, but the ratecard it was a 10 million deal and Merc came along and matched it, with all the same number of Paddock Club spots etc. for 2 million. Just because they could.
Mercedes didn't start winning WDCs and WCCs until the following year, so just because they could I don't think really enters into it. There needs to be some evidence Mercedes supposedly poached Blackberry from another team, if one is going to cast aspersions on the Mercedes/Rokit deal.
Old 24 Jun 2020, 15:52 (Ref:3983626)   #1515
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post

i feel like they were also providing enterprise solutions, secure data communications networks etc and the like as opposed to branding on the car.
That was in 2009.

https://youtu.be/0JY1sExko-U
Old 24 Jun 2020, 16:14 (Ref:3983630)   #1516
peebee2
Veteran

IIRC, and it might not have public domain, the disquiet was less that they poached the deal, more that they undercut all their proposals from other teams, by about 80%, potentially devaluing sponsorship across the whole paddock.
Old 24 Jun 2020, 17:14 (Ref:3983636)   #1517
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
IIRC, and it might not have public domain, the disquiet was less that they poached the deal, more that they undercut all their proposals from other teams, by about 80%, potentially devaluing sponsorship across the whole paddock.
If true...Wow! And why would they do that?

Richard
Old 24 Jun 2020, 17:16 (Ref:3983637)   #1518
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Yes. Tough pill to swallow.

My perspective is that Mercedes (like everyone) has an advertising rate card. And if someone approaches them with a sponsorship deal, they should look at it. While we talk about teams like Mercedes and their deep pockets, they are not immune to questions of budget. Should Mercedes have turned them away? Especially if the money was going to go somewhere other than Williams.

It is sad for Williams, but sponsors move around and teams generally have no problem with stealing a sponsor from someone else. I suspect this was more about Rokit leaving Williams first, vs. Mercedes courting them away?

Richard
I magine that Rockit will get small branding on the Mercedes and drivers for the same sum that got them title at Williams, but it is no longer about branding, it is brand association and leverage. Rockit seems to market low cost phones, but maybe the Mercedes connection makes them seem premium or enables them to develop a premium market.

It actually makes Williams look worse as we all assumed (I imagine) that Williams terminated the deal for commercial reasons, but apparently it was Rockit who terminated (the assumption being for poor performance??).

Basically that is Sirotkin, Stroll, Orlen and Rockit backing all lost by Williams in the last couple of years, plus other sponsors Rexona, etc?

Williams will spin all of the above as a positive, but paints a poor picture.
Old 24 Jun 2020, 17:18 (Ref:3983638)   #1519
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
From what I've read, the deal was worth some US$ 12 million per year, over three years, with BlackBerry becoming the team's new official mobile computing partner. A major reason for the deal with Blackberry was security, as Mercedes found Android inherently not as secure.

If Mercedes did undercut other team's proposals, it possibly devalue sponsorship deals with other IT companies. However, other sponsorship deals with other companies, won't have the same criteria as the one between Mercedes and Blackberry, so I don't see the whole paddock being affected. Also, it doesn't make any sense to devalue any sponsorship, when sponsorship is F1's life blood. The predicament Williams is in, is very much to do with a lack of sponsorship.
Old 24 Jun 2020, 17:19 (Ref:3983639)   #1520
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
If true...Wow! And why would they do that?

Richard
Because if they got 2 million it would be 2 million less Mercedes would have to put in and somebody would get a pat on the head. The car was pretty empty of sponsors so space was no problem.
Old 24 Jun 2020, 17:38 (Ref:3983644)   #1521
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Because if they got 2 million it would be 2 million less Mercedes would have to put in and somebody would get a pat on the head. The car was pretty empty of sponsors so space was no problem.
That answers why the took them as a sponsor, but not why they would undercut by your 80% value. If that is the case, then Mercedes also left money on the table for no reason (which is contrary to your first point).

I think this strategy works if you are looking to actively inhibit sponsorship for other teams. Similar to buying up talent just to prevent competition from having access. I can understand that as a strategy in the best of times, but why would Mercedes try to fling competition totally out of the ring right now? They need teams in the sport, even if only as token competition!

I guess the real question is, who actually was in the running with Rokit and was shafted by this reported undercut on pricing? Was it teams who frankly are not a threat like McLaren, Racing Point, Alfa Romeo, AlphaTauri, Haas, Renault and Williams or was it Mercedes true competition of Ferrari and Red Bull?

Richard
Old 24 Jun 2020, 18:11 (Ref:3983652)   #1522
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Maybe they undercut the highest proposal by 80%? But the next lowest by much less, or even not at all? Trying to make sense of that. You’d have thought that Merc could offer the same as someone else and they would get the deal over them based on the competitiveness. As you say why go so low.

Bu this isn’t in the public domain...
Old 24 Jun 2020, 19:56 (Ref:3983666)   #1523
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
That answers why the took them as a sponsor, but not why they would undercut by your 80% value. If that is the case, then Mercedes also left money on the table for no reason (which is contrary to your first point).

I think this strategy works if you are looking to actively inhibit sponsorship for other teams. Similar to buying up talent just to prevent competition from having access. I can understand that as a strategy in the best of times, but why would Mercedes try to fling competition totally out of the ring right now? They need teams in the sport, even if only as token competition!

I guess the real question is, who actually was in the running with Rokit and was shafted by this reported undercut on pricing? Was it teams who frankly are not a threat like McLaren, Racing Point, Alfa Romeo, AlphaTauri, Haas, Renault and Williams or was it Mercedes true competition of Ferrari and Red Bull?

Richard
Sorry, no idea about Rokit.
I was just remembering the BlackBerry deal from years ago.
Old 24 Jun 2020, 19:59 (Ref:3983667)   #1524
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Maybe they undercut the highest proposal by 80%? But the next lowest by much less, or even not at all? Trying to make sense of that. You’d have thought that Merc could offer the same as someone else and they would get the deal over them based on the competitiveness. As you say why go so low.

Bu this isn’t in the public domain...
Why go so low? Because they had no real sponsors, we’re under pressure from board level to find some, didn’t have the contacts to work out what others had quoted and were naive.
Old 24 Jun 2020, 21:29 (Ref:3983684)   #1525
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Seems to me most of the whinging is how dare Mercedes sign them.

First, why in would you pay to be on the Williams when for the same rate you could be MB partner? It's not the position on the car, it's the street value. You get to put that in your product. That's business 101, if you don't get it, don't open a business.

Second, if Rokit left Williams then there's nothing MB did other than sign a free agent.

Third, Blackberry specifically said they were with Lewis. He left and they followed. Again basic business strategy, they wanted Lewis. He could have been with Peel F1 and their new smaller 3 wheeled car and they would have spent.

Fourth, if you can't keep a sponsor and allow an out clause, well poor performance means no more money. I'm not paying to be seen for 30 seconds and only when being lapped again and again.

Fifth, if you think MB is redesigning the livery for Rokit you're nuts. They're going to be a tiny sponsor in large pond. They're willing to pay to be lesser let them.

Sixth, Toto has zero ethical obligation to ignore a sponsor because Williams used to use them. Not his concern in the slightest. They left so again, free agent.

It appears the complaints are capitalism sucks. That's fine but don't pretend otherwise.