Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 28 Jan 2019, 07:13 (Ref:3880105)   #1251
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Mike I guess you got the info from PA referring the rev' limitation. ATM only V8 Fords are concerned. Your opinion? How did it go last year in UK?
Not a subject for tea breaks, methinks. More the “Over development, specifically engines” thread....
Old 28 Jan 2019, 07:39 (Ref:3880109)   #1252
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Not a subject for tea breaks, methinks.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 07:52 (Ref:3880111)   #1253
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Gotta love the knowledge of the Beeb R2 sports reporter. ‘Yesterday Fernando Alonso won the Daytona Rally’.... Maybe correct considering the conditions and the amount of grass tracking that went on!
Old 28 Jan 2019, 08:55 (Ref:3880118)   #1254
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Just watching Rolex 24. It's like Castle Combe on a good day.....wet, wet, wet. Alonso is a God - many seconds per lap up on the rest of the field. Zanardi - wow! What a bloke. Braking with a big lever in the centre of the car, while holding the car straight and shifting down with the other. Then accelerating by sliding an extra ring on the steering wheel up towards him. Totally brilliant.
I dodged in and out of the IMSA coverage in between attending the VSCC time trials at Brooklands(what a grand day out for competitors and spectators alike),. some of those onboard camera shots in the appalling conditions were absolutely frightening to watch. Totally agree about Zanardi but top marks to anyone who managed to keep their steed in one piece, it was a no brain decision to bring out the red flag but as to why they took so long making the decision is a mystery. For me the best bit of the weekend was watching the driver of a 100 year old Silver Ghost negotiate the various obstacles on the old start/finish straight at Brooklands with a permanent smile on the drivers face, F1 nah!
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-ka...172921554.html

Last edited by justracing; 28 Jan 2019 at 09:08.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 09:11 (Ref:3880119)   #1255
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
I dodged in and out of the IMSA coverage in between attending the VSCC time trials at Brooklands(what a grand day out for competitors and spectators alike),. some of those onboard camera shots in the appalling conditions were absolutely frightening to watch. Totally agree about Zanardi but top marks to anyone who managed to keep their steed in one piece, it was a no brain decision to bring out the red flag but as to why they took so long making the decision is a mystery. For me the best bit of the weekend was watching the driver of a 100 year old Silver Ghost negotiate the various obstacles on the old start/finish straight at Brooklands with a permanent smile on the drivers face, F1 nah!
There appear to be loads of fun things to do outside of F1 and the VSCC is at the forefront.

I've been following a new venture near Straford on Avon called Caffeine and Machine. Seems like somewhere a petrol head would enjoy. A bit more involving than the ACE but I guess a similar theory. I'm back in the UK early March so might take a trip over one day.

I enjoyed the RSL/IMSA radio and tv coverage from Daytona and since it was around 11am when the first red flag came out I thought I'd settle down with a bottle of something a similar colour. I watched/listened for another bottle then had dinner and went to bed. Not only did Alonso demonstrate seriously good skills one; of the class winners was (I believe) a 17 year old lad and of course no words good enough to describe Zanardi!

Another point to be made was the lack of any hybrid machinery so it was all simply throttle control and proper braking.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 09:24 (Ref:3880122)   #1256
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Talking of braking, it was interesting when Hindy was talking about the ABS on GTD cars. He said that years ago he had a go in a race car with it, and was advised that you pushed just hard enough to feel the ABS kick in, but no harder. Now, apparently you just push as hard as you can, let the tech take charge, and there’s no kick back or anything. Such is progress!
Old 28 Jan 2019, 10:29 (Ref:3880129)   #1257
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Talking of braking, it was interesting when Hindy was talking about the ABS on GTD cars. He said that years ago he had a go in a race car with it, and was advised that you pushed just hard enough to feel the ABS kick in, but no harder. Now, apparently you just push as hard as you can, let the tech take charge, and there’s no kick back or anything. Such is progress!
Mentioning brakes, I noted the very rapid way that rotors were changed (I think it was a Lambo on screen at the time) despite the relatively small number of personnel allowed over the pit wall. No pad changes. Cost about 2 laps at dry lap times?

I suppose they are simply moving the callipers out of the way, moving them back, remembering to lock them in place, throw a wheel on and off again, reminding the driver that they may need to apply some pressure a few times (or is that automated) and take it easy for a lap or so.

Hmm. Next time I need rotor changes on my car I'll mention it to the garage. ' I'm only prepared to pay for 2mins per rotor ....' That should go down well.

That said I assume they are expensive rotors so at full price with a decent profit margin it might be possible offer free fitting.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 10:50 (Ref:3880132)   #1258
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Didn’t see that but I’ve watched it being done elsewhere- in Oz Supercars I think. Yes, the rotor just needs caliper swung out of way. Those carbon ceramic brakes are amazing, so long lasting and it’s the rotors that wear out, not the pads! However, they should be good- check how much they are to specify as an extra on a road car.....
Old 28 Jan 2019, 10:59 (Ref:3880134)   #1259
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Hmm. Next time I need rotor changes on my car I'll mention it to the garage. ' I'm only prepared to pay for 2mins per rotor ....' That should go down well.

The same could be applied for replacing brake pads as well. Watching how quickly the lads perform the operation in the refuelling stops during the Aussie V8 Supercar races, with the change completed before the fuelling has even finished.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 12:46 (Ref:3880150)   #1260
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Didn’t see that but I’ve watched it being done elsewhere- in Oz Supercars I think. Yes, the rotor just needs caliper swung out of way. Those carbon ceramic brakes are amazing, so long lasting and it’s the rotors that wear out, not the pads! However, they should be good- check how much they are to specify as an extra on a road car.....
Was watching something similar in the Dubai 24 hours, they didn't even swing the caliper out the way, just retracted the pads to provide a bit of wiggle room. The disc was just the outer ring, like a bike disc, and it engaged with the inner hub in a zigzag pattern, a bit like huge splines.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 12:53 (Ref:3880152)   #1261
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Was watching something similar in the Dubai 24 hours, they didn't even swing the caliper out the way, just retracted the pads to provide a bit of wiggle room. The disc was just the outer ring, like a bike disc, and it engaged with the inner hub in a zigzag pattern, a bit like huge splines.

Interesting.

It was a long shot across the track into the pit lane so the details were not visible at all but as you described, David, would fit with what one could see.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 13:01 (Ref:3880154)   #1262
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
That’s it. Your memory is good.....
Old 28 Jan 2019, 13:02 (Ref:3880156)   #1263
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Now that Daytona has been and gone- it’s time to get ready for Bathurst 12hrs this weekend!
Old 28 Jan 2019, 13:05 (Ref:3880157)   #1264
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yes Mike in Supercars they now do a compulsory rotor change at enduros and events like the Bathurst 1000.... to back up your argument, pad changes are not compulsory in the 1000K, (although most do it as it adds only a few seconds.) Ironically a few years ago pad changes in enduro races became the norm, but technical progress with the pads make this a thing of the past. The pads now cook the rotors!

They (VASC) have a control system with brakes... all must use the same.

(Front: Control AP Racing 6-Piston Caliper, 395 mm ventilated front disc brakes
Rear: Control AP Racing 4-Piston Caliper 355 mm ventilated rear disc brakes)

Two years ago at the 1000k race they had problems with rotors cracking and even exploding.

From V8 SUpercars
Quote:
The change comes after several instances of cracked and exploding brake rotors in recent years, especially in circumstances involving rapid slowing from high to low speeds that produce a big temperature variation.

The potential weakness was highlighted at last year’s (2017) Bathurst 1000, when increased speeds and braking loads caused failures.

It was particularly acute at Mount Panorama because of the extreme brake temperature differences from the end of Conrod Straight through The Chase to Murray’s and then Hell Corners, going from very cool to tremendously hot.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 13:15 (Ref:3880160)   #1265
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Now that Daytona has been and gone- it’s time to get ready for Bathurst 12hrs this weekend!
And the start of the Six Nations. I'm not going out much over the next few weekends.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 13:44 (Ref:3880165)   #1266
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
And the start of the Six Nations. I'm not going out much over the next few weekends.
With the weather forecast here it’s a no-brainier!

Just received my 2019 race licence- sorry, ‘MSUK Membership Card’, and thought it was some else’s. Possibly a convicted thug from the pic! A curse on modern passport photo requirements- why can’t we at least be smiling.....
Old 28 Jan 2019, 13:45 (Ref:3880166)   #1267
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
A couple of BTCC luminaries racing together in the shape of Neil/Sheddon, be interesting to see how they cope withe the twists and turns over the mountain!
Old 28 Jan 2019, 13:50 (Ref:3880167)   #1268
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
A couple of BTCC luminaries racing together in the shape of Neil/Sheddon, be interesting to see how they cope with the twists and turns over the mountain!
Indeed. It certainly makes good telly, but starting in the dark always makes the first few laps difficult to follow! The in-car stuff over the top can take your breath away....
Old 28 Jan 2019, 13:50 (Ref:3880168)   #1269
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mike, are you planning to take your truck on the Norwich Lord Mayor's Parade??
Old 28 Jan 2019, 13:55 (Ref:3880170)   #1270
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Mike, are you planning to take your truck on the Norwich Lord Mayor's Parade??
I’m guessing you’ve read this? https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politic...sion-1-5867359

I’ll no doubt be getting organised for Hungaroring trip, or on the way, so the ban is not a problem......
Old 28 Jan 2019, 13:58 (Ref:3880171)   #1271
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I’m guessing you’ve read this? https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politic...sion-1-5867359

I’ll no doubt be getting organised for Hungaroring trip, or on the way, so the ban is not a problem......

Yes - I thought 1st April must have arrived early in Norfolk.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 14:13 (Ref:3880175)   #1272
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
I like the suggestion people make floats using electric vehicles. Not sure where I’d start with the i3........

BTW the survey on the page shows that 80% who have voted think that it will spoil the parade!
Old 28 Jan 2019, 14:15 (Ref:3880176)   #1273
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
I like the suggestion people make floats using electric vehicles. Not sure where I’d start with the i3........

BTW the survey on the page shows that 80% who have voted think that it will spoil the parade!
How long would a parade full of electric milk floats take to reach their destination?

I noted roller-skates were suggested as one option. Not quite the same carrying capacity as a 40-tonner.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 14:22 (Ref:3880179)   #1274
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It's Norfolk. It's last year's April Fool nearly a year later.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 28 Jan 2019, 14:32 (Ref:3880180)   #1275
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
It's Norfolk. It's last year's April Fool nearly a year later.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
That's a bit rich, coming from a man in Wiltshire!
Closed Thread