Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 10 Jun 2005, 10:54 (Ref:1324693)   #1
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
First Thommo, now Plato?

Well, Thompson did this, worming his way into several rounds of the ETCC for Alfa last year before announcing a full time ride for this year.

Now, Plato's been confirmed for Mexico aswell, so that'll be 4 out of the 10 WTCC races he's been in...thinking he might be forming a Rydell, Gené & Plato line-up (unless four cars again) for next year?

Based on Hines & Pickford's 'backup' performance in the BTCC so far, Seat might just put all their eggs in that basket (the WTCC).
Old 10 Jun 2005, 11:31 (Ref:1324718)   #2
newoutsider
Racer

newoutsider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The UK effort is funded by Seat UK so they would need to make a big marketing decision to go to the WTCC, but unless they get some sort of confirmation that the BTCC will have more works involvement next year it must be tempting
Old 10 Jun 2005, 13:35 (Ref:1324785)   #3
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
racingworld.it said days ago SEAT can have a 5th car at Spa for Alessandro Balzan or... Yvan Müller. This one it would be a more expensive and dangerous, with Plato, choice. Thinking Muller ran for SEAT in 2003, other leaving BTCC in 2006?
Old 10 Jun 2005, 14:02 (Ref:1324801)   #4
Red Baron
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
Red Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was it not in Autosport or MSN a few weeks ago that SEAT might concentrate on WTCC next year???
Old 10 Jun 2005, 14:08 (Ref:1324808)   #5
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't see much value in SEAT running a second WTCC team in 2006. Four cars should be enough to be competitive, and the UK effort has showed a lot of potential. Switching Plato over to the international championship and running someone like Oli Wilkinson in a third BTCC entry for next year might be an option, but I think bolstering the WTCC team is the main aim here. Remember that Matt Neal did a few ETCC wildcard drives but never switched full-time.
Old 10 Jun 2005, 14:51 (Ref:1324835)   #6
newoutsider
Racer

newoutsider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
N I Tram - we may have been talking (or in my case listeningto) the same people.....
Old 10 Jun 2005, 14:59 (Ref:1324843)   #7
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seat want him in the WTCC for 2006, and I sure hope it doesn't happen.
Old 10 Jun 2005, 15:12 (Ref:1324858)   #8
racingdad
Veteran

racingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by N I Tram
. Switching Plato over to the international championship and running someone like Oli Wilkinson in a third BTCC entry for next year might be an option, but I think bolstering the WTCC team is the main aim here.
Now there's an interesting proposition
Old 10 Jun 2005, 15:28 (Ref:1324870)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hopefully if Jason goes to WTCC full time, he could do the non-clashing BTCC races too - in a reverse of this year's arrangement
Old 10 Jun 2005, 15:30 (Ref:1324872)   #10
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some people are not far off what I've heard may well happen next year to Plato and/or SEAT Sport UK.

Remember SEAT UK would need to run the new Leon model next year in the BTCC if they participate.
Old 10 Jun 2005, 18:16 (Ref:1324969)   #11
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
Some people are not far off what I've heard may well happen next year to Plato and/or SEAT Sport UK.

Remember SEAT UK would need to run the new Leon model next year in the BTCC if they participate.
And hopefully It'll be 100 times better than the understeery as hell Toledo cupra.
Old 10 Jun 2005, 19:25 (Ref:1325014)   #12
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going to the WTCC is not a smart career move for Jason...

...not only does he suddenly become a small fish in a big pond, but he loses the UK TV coverage on which his own meejah career thrives.
Old 10 Jun 2005, 19:42 (Ref:1325025)   #13
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he's not done too bad so far though has he? Plus he has a pretty steady media career too so I don't think hes too worried about coverage.
Old 10 Jun 2005, 20:40 (Ref:1325079)   #14
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
he's not done too bad so far though has he? Plus he has a pretty steady media career too so I don't think hes too worried about coverage.
He managed to stay on TV with car review stuff etc. when he 'disappeared' off into ASCAR.

If he enjoys his TV celebrity persona more than his racing career, he'll stay in the BTCC. The WTCC is a far better jumping point into major league sportscars, and obviously is itself the biggest Touring Car series by title and international scope.
Old 10 Jun 2005, 22:35 (Ref:1325138)   #15
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plus I feel that Jason may want a change and feels like a different challenge.
Old 11 Jun 2005, 00:48 (Ref:1325181)   #16
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
Plus I feel that Jason may want a change and feels like a different challenge.
Maybe, but at Vauxhall he was on a par with Muller...at Seat he's comfortably numero uno. At Seat Spain he would end up being the third guy at best to Rydell & Gené.
Old 11 Jun 2005, 12:21 (Ref:1325562)   #17
racingdad
Veteran

racingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
My limited knowledge of the situation is that JP has a multi-year contract with Seat UK and will race with them next year - his deal with the factory team is over and above, so unless Seat UK do the WTCC JP will be mainly focused on the BTCC next year as well. But I still like the sound of this.
Old 11 Jun 2005, 13:12 (Ref:1325584)   #18
Wilbo
Racer

Wilbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a feeling the BTCC will suffer big time next year. The WTCC is such a major draw and had has all the marketing power that is needed that more manufacturers will join the party. I feel Seat and Vauxhall will pull out of the BTCC, but remember folks there is no rumour attached to this just my opinion!

I hope it doesn't go this way, otherwise BTCC will be about independants (no bad thing for hopefuls, but money is the issue) and will feed drivers into the WTCC.
There is an advantage to running a car or two in the BTCC or STW etc in that it allows more testing for the WTCC teams. Only the future will tell.....
Old 11 Jun 2005, 14:14 (Ref:1325617)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He might want to complete his current challenge, of bringing the BTCC title to SEAT, before doing anything else though, epsecially if Vauxhall and Dynamics remain strong. And for all the WTCC's strong entrants and biggrids, tehr acing is processional compared to the BTCC.
Old 17 Jun 2005, 10:34 (Ref:1331394)   #20
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can you blame Plato for being interested in the WTCC? It is, after all, a fully sanctioned World Championship.
Old 17 Jun 2005, 12:06 (Ref:1331452)   #21
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
And for all the WTCC's strong entrants and biggrids, tehr acing is processional compared to the BTCC.
But still every driver wants to be in F1...
Old 19 Jun 2005, 00:54 (Ref:1332596)   #22
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Wilbo]I have a feeling the BTCC will suffer big time next year. The WTCC is such a major draw and had has all the marketing power that is needed that more manufacturers will join the party. I feel Seat and Vauxhall will pull out of the BTCC, but remember folks there is no rumour attached to this just my opinion![QUOTE]
OTOH, with another year of S2000 cars being built/run in the WTCC and elsewhere, perhaps more cars will be made available to potential BTCC teams. OTOH, I get the impression that the current BTCC rules still favour teams running BTC than S2000 spec cars? Add to that well funded BTC teams versus indepedent S2000 teams, it looks pretty hopeless. It's tough enough managing one set of rules instead of trying to balance 2 sets of rules.