Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Feb 2009, 13:44 (Ref:2388170)   #51
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil
its just a shame its run by Captain Kaos, Puppet boy and the Western spaghetti cowboy...
Is there an element of sour grapes there Bazil.
Old 4 Feb 2009, 18:41 (Ref:2388357)   #52
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Certainly a lot of negativity towards the "drags" on here.

When i am sitting at the WSID in a couple of weeks for the Summernationals, i will joined AGAIN by a PACKED house.

You can actually see some overtaking in the drags.
Old 4 Feb 2009, 19:29 (Ref:2388391)   #53
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
I think it was one of the pit crew from Victor Bray's team.
Ironically, that is where the Jack Daniels money is meant to be heading.
Old 4 Feb 2009, 22:06 (Ref:2388519)   #54
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle
Is there an element of sour grapes there Bazil.
No, why would there be. Just calling it the way it is. I have a lot of good friends still involved in Drag Racing and genuinely feel sorry for them with regards to the sports direction, or lack there of...

Drag racing will get another chance to step up and become professional, somewhere not too far down the track. Only difference I suspect is it will be a hostile takeover and not a friendly one that someone else previously offered...
Old 4 Feb 2009, 23:41 (Ref:2388571)   #55
Muznik
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast
Muznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMuznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Oh and don't be too high and mighty about circuit racing either, I'm sure many of us are aware of the stories surrounding a leading V8 Supercar figure.
Without naming anyone, maybe you could possibly elaborate on what the stories entail ?
Old 5 Feb 2009, 00:00 (Ref:2388579)   #56
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowgto
Certainly a lot of negativity towards the "drags" on here.

When i am sitting at the WSID in a couple of weeks for the Summernationals, i will joined AGAIN by a PACKED house.

You can actually see some overtaking in the drags.
i'll most probably be in that crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It!
Ironically, that is where the Jack Daniels money is meant to be heading.
will Castrol still remain with them or are they going?
Old 5 Feb 2009, 00:03 (Ref:2388581)   #57
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
I think it was one of the pit crew from Victor Bray's team.
This is correct.
Altercation in pits between the 2 crews.

I always look forward to reading Victors monthly blurb - the next should be a cracker.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 06:16 (Ref:2388681)   #58
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71
This is correct.
Altercation in pits between the 2 crews.

I always look forward to reading Victors monthly blurb - the next should be a cracker.
This happened awhile ago. ANDRA tried to keep a lid on it.
It allegedly involved Brett and two people from Bray's crew.

I felt sorry for Victor at the time as he was the one who helped Brett get into Doorslammers.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 07:02 (Ref:2388687)   #59
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Drag racing will get another chance to step up and become professional, somewhere not too far down the track. Only difference I suspect is it will be a hostile takeover and not a friendly one that someone else previously offered...
Something to look forward too Hopefully it will be a better proposal than the last one.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 22:42 (Ref:2389419)   #60
bazil
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Something to look forward too Hopefully it will be a better proposal than the last one.
In show business they say you should never work with animals or children, but because its you...

They were offered from memory a

o 500k per year naming rights sponsor
o 5 year free to air television deal fully funded with a 2 hour program the week directly after an event
o PR and Media training and Management services
o A National Series racing season inside a yearly calendar
o Series prize money
o Revenue for team owners via multiple sources including official series merchandise, sanction fees (bet you love that word), event sponsors
o etc etc etc

It’s a while ago but I am sure I read somewhere that it also retuned ownership of the sport to those that have the biggest stake in it, the competitors. I am pretty sure though with your love of everything ARDC/ THE CREEK your brain has long been washed with the same rubbish the Sydney and Perth strips used to keep their bony fingers around the sport of drag racings throat.

Here is something for you to consider, the NHRA which is the daddy of Drag Racing is now running all meetings to 1000feet (in part because of Scott Kalliitas death).
The gun held to the sports head by the peanut in Adelaide and the 2 circus promoters was that they had the only tracks suitable to run group 1 racing. If OZ wanted to all racing here could run 1000 feet, this would bring another 20+ drag strips into play around the country and take away your mate’s next doors single card to hold everyone to ransom.
Considering that most of the technical and tune advice comes from the NHRA and tuning to 1000 feet is very different to that of a quarter mile, this is a very real possibility.

Now, nearly 18 months after virtually all top group1 competitors were signed up but denied the opportunity to become professional, where is their sport? Do they have a series sponsor? No. Just the same three ring circus is in place and the DRDF is universally hated by competitors as they are worse off than before.

All things come to an end eventually and hopefully for my friends involved and the many other good people in drag racing, the current tyrannies demise is not too far away.

P.S I could have just said "DRT blow it out your freckle because as usual you have no idea of what your are gibbering about". But that would be impolite.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 22:47 (Ref:2389421)   #61
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like this post better baz. I see there are only 16 Top Fuelers turning up for events in the US at the moment (not full fields) mainly due to the economic downturn. Sad but understandable.

Anyway, back to Stevens, or moreso his sponsors, wonder how many teams from various Motorsport disciplines are 'pitching' to them right now?
Old 6 Feb 2009, 00:36 (Ref:2389465)   #62
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bazil, if the offer (and benefits stated in your post) was in return for handing over total control and rights to the series, I can imagine why there was resistance from the promoters/ management.

Also if there was so much support from the competitors et al, than what was stopping a revolt or breakaway ?

Finally, please correct me if I am wrong (memory struggles) but wasn't the new proposal for the elite draggers only?

What about the little guys who have kept local drag racing alive for all these years. The WRC is a good example and look where they are these days.
Old 6 Feb 2009, 00:51 (Ref:2389474)   #63
bazil
Veteran

[QUOTE=D.R.T.]
Quote:
Bazil, if the offer (and benefits stated in your post) was in return for handing over total control and rights to the series, I can imagine why there was resistance from the promoters/ management.
Group 1 marketing/promotional rights. Not ownership.

Quote:
Also if there was so much support from the competitors et al, than what was stopping a revolt or breakaway ?
Lack of suitable tracks that can run group1 over a quater mile as there are only 3 that are up to standard. And unfortunately the lack of competitor ticker to stand up to a couple of greedy bullys. Also I think the people that made the offer decided there was better things to waste time on, for now..

Quote:
Finally, please correct me if I am wrong (memory struggles) but wasn't the new proposal for the elite draggers only?

What about the little guys who have kept local drag racing alive for all these years. The WRC is a good example and look where they are these days.
Completely wrong again, as the groups 2,3 and 4 were offered the same event/meeting oppitunitys as they enjoyed at the time but with an added 100k per season series sponsorship of theses "little guys" thrown in as a bonus.
Old 6 Feb 2009, 01:26 (Ref:2389481)   #64
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For all those emailing and PMing (that can't be a word) me regarding rumours etc. I have no intention of spreading those rumours any further. They may or may not be true I have no idea, it's just that this particular rumour or a corruption on it has reached me from at least half a dozen different sources all from within the V8 circus over the past few years. One swears blind to have been witness to the alleged incident.
All I'll say is if true and if some evidence can be found then it's a front page tabloid classic.
Point is in my line of work I have people coming up to me almost every day and offering some kind of outrageous rumour that "you can use on the show" of course you can't use any of them and most are little better than bizarre conspiracy theories from rabid V8 fans looking to bad mouth their chosen opposition side.
The thing is to tar an entire form of the sport based on the ALLEGED actions of one or two individuals is very dangerous.
As far as the health of Drag racing is concerned as some people have pointed out crowds are pretty good, they keep signing new sponsors and they are on not one, but two FTA TV outlets as well as pay.
I'm sure if the Shannons' Nationals could get even a quarter of the crowd that went out to Calder a couple of weeks back for a very average meeting then they'd be delirious.
BTW Brett Stevens and Victor were both down at Calder and sharing a garage, looked pretty cordial to me.
Old 6 Feb 2009, 03:25 (Ref:2389505)   #65
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I rest my case. Tony Thornton, the stand out favourite for worst sporting administrator of (as Ali would say) "ALLLLL TIMMMME" Peanut administration and novice media savvy at its worst....
click here

Snip...
Quote:
The Australian National Drag Racing Association (ANDRA) has elected to suspend all of retired competitor Brett Stevens’ National titles and records until his current legal issues have been resolved.
Snip...
Quote:
“On that basis the ANDRA National Control Council has decided that Stevens’ three National titles and his current speed record should be suspended and a lifetime ban imposed until the matter is finalised.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 6 Feb 2009, 03:37 (Ref:2389509)   #66
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro
click here

Snip...The Australian National Drag Racing Association (ANDRA) has elected to suspend all of retired competitor Brett Stevens’ National titles and records until his current legal issues have been resolved.

Snip...“On that basis the ANDRA National Control Council has decided that Stevens’ three National titles and his current speed record should be suspended and a lifetime ban imposed until the matter is finalised.

Not much left for them to do if he is actually found guilty of the charges!?! Wouldn't want to be a tall poppy!
Old 6 Feb 2009, 03:40 (Ref:2389510)   #67
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sounds like a really clever organisation
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 6 Feb 2009, 05:56 (Ref:2389528)   #68
bazil
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmdog
Not much left for them to do if he is actually found guilty of the charges!?! Wouldn't want to be a tall poppy!
rdmdog, how is a sporting body coming out with a strong statement (on the second go) about serious legal matter a tall poppy issue?

It’s not about if Brett’s guilty or not it’s about clarity of the sports position and view about a major community problem that is throwing a poor shadow over their sport.

Correct stance by ANDRA today ( only after immense pressure from many angles) but does nothing to cover up its incompetence at the very top and the unsavory alliance's it has established to run the sport.
Old 6 Feb 2009, 06:08 (Ref:2389532)   #69
bazil
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane
As far as the health of Drag racing is concerned as some people have pointed out crowds are pretty good, they keep signing new sponsors and they are on not one, but two FTA TV outlets as well as pay.
The crowds have always been an indicator of the enormous potential the sport has in spite of the poor management. New sponsors? Who? They have not had a series sponsor since the siggy days. And the Saturday lunchtime TV coverage sometimes 6 weeks after an event,

Stop it, ya killin me...
Old 6 Feb 2009, 06:09 (Ref:2389533)   #70
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They aren't left with much room for further punishment if he is found not guilty, that's the only point I was making. If he was a Super Street competitor, would this thread exist and would ANDRA (or CAMS, or the national snowboarding body for that matter) make any mention of one of their members at a "non-professional" level being charged, and yet to be found guilty?

No trouble agreeing that it's not a good look as all racers are tarred with the same brush from the general uninformed public's point of view.

A world record holder in the pool was recently outed as a pot smoker, a two paragraoh apology was enough to maintain his golden child appearance. Interesting hey!

Maybe ANDRA could have revoked all licences of people involved until the matter was decided in court.
Old 6 Feb 2009, 06:42 (Ref:2389542)   #71
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

A world record holder in the pool was recently outed as a pot smoker, a two paragraoh apology was enough to maintain his golden child appearance. Interesting hey!
Golden child already lost one of his major sponsors today, talk of others following suit.
Old 6 Feb 2009, 07:43 (Ref:2389559)   #72
petebendon
Rookie

petebendon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never met him but with Bazil here ........... about time ANDRA reacted and would expect CAMS to do the same if faced with a similar situation (but do it quicker). Look at it this way -- if a formula vee competitor didnt have the money but then made and sold enough drugs to step up to Aussie Bernie's v8s, won BAthurst then got caught you'd all want him thrown out....its cheating just another way.......

suspending it all is good -- now let the courts decide the rest about BS being innocent or guilty

ps; Phelps lost Kellogs for his bonging on, no more free cornflakes or $$$$$$$
Old 6 Feb 2009, 08:03 (Ref:2389575)   #73
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
T If he was a Super Street competitor, would this thread exist and would ANDRA (or CAMS, or the national snowboarding body for that matter) make any mention of one of their members at a "non-professional" level being charged, and yet to be found guilty?

No trouble agreeing that it's not a good look as all racers are tarred with the same brush from the general uninformed public's point of view.

You obviously were not in Melbourne to read recent headlines of some 70 y.o. recalcerint doing 170K on the public highway-- he supposedly held competition licence( anybody ever heard of him?) and as the headlines ,talkback radio and current affairs shows called for his "exection" asap and for what? Exceeding the speed limit-- just imagine if he needed "medication" to achieve the bravery he was showing on the public highway!!
Old 6 Feb 2009, 10:03 (Ref:2389636)   #74
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem
Golden child already lost one of his major sponsors today, talk of others following suit.
He has also been barred from competition for 3 months.
Old 6 Feb 2009, 10:38 (Ref:2389652)   #75
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane
For all those emailing and PMing (that can't be a word) me regarding rumours etc. I have no intention of spreading those rumours any further. They may or may not be true I have no idea, it's just that this particular rumour or a corruption on it has reached me from at least half a dozen different sources all from within the V8 circus over the past few years. One swears blind to have been witness to the alleged incident.
All I'll say is if true and if some evidence can be found then it's a front page tabloid classic.
Point is in my line of work I have people coming up to me almost every day and offering some kind of outrageous rumour that "you can use on the show" of course you can't use any of them and most are little better than bizarre conspiracy theories from rabid V8 fans looking to bad mouth their chosen opposition side.
The thing is to tar an entire form of the sport based on the ALLEGED actions of one or two individuals is very dangerous.
I'm sure if the Shannons' Nationals could get even a quarter of the crowd that went out to Calder a couple of weeks back for a very average meeting then they'd be delirious.
BTW Brett Stevens and Victor were both down at Calder and sharing a garage, looked pretty cordial to me.
Yeah i didn't think there was any such incident.

Its the internet, its not like 90% of the **** on here is crap anyway, yet those people are happy to post what it is, rather than just hint to something!