Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 21 Oct 2002, 11:19 (Ref:409149)   #1
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Australian Marshals also have Gripes!!

I have read with interest the debate going on with respect to British Officials. Agree with some/disagree with others. Today two senior Aussie Marshals cried enough!! I refer to Bloke and Critter. To calmly say "if you don't like it, don't volunteer!" seems a tad lame to me (IMHO).

In every sphere of life and and in every activity we get to participate in during our short stay on the planet there are always those who want to gain an advantage, use and abuse or **** in the nest of others.

There is a common thread throughout these forums, officials are generally taken for granted - end of story. There will always be a bank of newbies willing to put up with just about anything to have a go. But, to leave the current situation as it is and not try to improve their lot and thereby the wellbeing and performance of officialdom is regressive. Advances are being made with every other aspect of the sport, why not improvements for Marshals? Learned helplessness is a term in vogue over here (probably stolen from the 'states) and it is a dangerous disease (IMHO). To continually say "don't rock the boat" means that (wait for it!) NOTHING will ever change!!

I don't advocate wholesale disruption to a sporting event and never will. But, marshals can exercise their voices (and power) in a way that leaves the corporate sector in no doubt that they are a force to be reckoned with. Just a hint of "denial of labour" will produce results. The hard part is getting volunteer marshals to realise that something needs to be done and that is worth doing in the interests of the sport!

The simplest and best thing that could happen would be for Marshals to appoint an erudite advocate with some guts (I'm being careful here not to advocate a union which could easily become a politicised toothless tiger). However, with the right promotion (mailout to start with) and support, SOMETHING might be achieved.

Thats my tuppence worth - come on people - lets bring about some change for the good.

Yours in Motorsport.......
Old 21 Oct 2002, 15:58 (Ref:409339)   #2
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A very reasoned argument! Don't man the barracdes, just SAY you will and let the organisers sweat! Mmm might work!
Old 22 Oct 2002, 10:12 (Ref:410065)   #3
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tread Carefully

Quote:
Originally posted by Stoowert
A very reasoned argument! Don't man the barracdes, just SAY you will and let the organisers sweat! Mmm might work!
Beware...Idle threats like "I fart in your general direction" bear no weight.

To be successful you must rally the troops so that you have support in principle. This should involve some of the wiser heads explaining to the indifferent, frivolous, fence sitters and newbies with stars in their eyes that THIS IS IMPORTANT! Then, your most lucid, rational and logical thinker can quietly put a word in the ear of the right person. If the "right person" has any sense at all they will act. Its not rocket science, but it has to be done in order to get a fair deal for the silent majority of volunteers marshals out there who hate politics, hate being taken for granted but LOVE MOTORSPORT!.

I'm convinced corporates are basically dumb and profit driven, lacking in vision (the marketers come up with their ideas!) so you have to talk in words of one syllable or less!! to make your point. Fairplay is not a word in their dictionary
Old 22 Oct 2002, 21:57 (Ref:410698)   #4
Flaggie
Racer

Flaggie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
275 GTB-4. With you all the way on this. Have to pull in the fence sitters who dont believe in politics, and the newbies who run around thinking "ooooo Bathurst". Question is how?
Old 23 Oct 2002, 13:01 (Ref:411216)   #5
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Question is how?

Quote:
Originally posted by Flaggie
275 GTB-4. With you all the way on this. Have to pull in the fence sitters who dont believe in politics, and the newbies who run around thinking "ooooo Bathurst". Question is how?
As for the "How" - that part neeeds tobe taken off-line. Too many eyes get to look at this lot!