Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 21 Jun 2018, 13:59 (Ref:3832334)   #226
thesmackdown
Rookie

thesmackdown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Well JP could certainly fund a ride in one of Tonys cars. Thing is, since being run by BMR in 2015 they have not achieved anything approaching the success they did with CT and JP piloting.
I am guessing someone with experience and a common language with the engineer will be able to get similar success out of those cars.
Old 21 Jun 2018, 14:05 (Ref:3832336)   #227
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Do we know that they made more power last year?

Or are down this year just compared to progress in others?

Or is the explanation that the higher power last year caused wear, that they weren't aware of?
Speed traps are down from.last year which would be a fair clue I would reckon
Old 22 Jun 2018, 08:38 (Ref:3832452)   #228
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesmackdown View Post
Also, I can't wait for the book that someone will write about the rise and fall of BMR.
When the current regulations and ITV deal reach the end of the line in a few years, and Mr Gow retires, I hope he writes a book that exposes all the rule-bending and penny pinching from over the decades.
Old 22 Jun 2018, 09:12 (Ref:3832455)   #229
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
When the current regulations and ITV deal reach the end of the line in a few years, and Mr Gow retires, I hope he writes a book that exposes all the rule-bending and penny pinching from over the decades.
I'd love to read that, however there would probably be multiple libel cases instigated if Gow really revealed the true goings-on behind the scenes.
Old 22 Jun 2018, 16:03 (Ref:3832523)   #230
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
There would probably be multiple libel cases instigated if Gow really revealed the true goings-on behind the scenes.
Sad, but true.
Old 22 Jun 2018, 17:10 (Ref:3832535)   #231
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I'd love to read that, however there would probably be multiple libel cases instigated if Gow really revealed the true goings-on behind the scenes.
Careful! Fanboys will be on to tell you to front up or shut up. The series is straighter than a very straight thing.
Old 22 Jun 2018, 17:27 (Ref:3832542)   #232
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Careful! Fanboys will be on to tell you to front up or shut up. The series is straighter than a very straight thing.
🤣
Old 22 Jun 2018, 22:13 (Ref:3832585)   #233
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Why would he do that? Negative for BTCC and also for himself.
Old 23 Jun 2018, 08:36 (Ref:3832616)   #234
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so he shall the secrets to the grave ?
Old 25 Jun 2018, 16:21 (Ref:3833067)   #235
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Post-Croft, we're at the mideason break. Let's collate some opinions.

What have we learned so far?
Winners and losers of the first half?
Who has underperformed? Overperformed?
Most surprising moment?
Thoughts on driving stanards?
Old 26 Jun 2018, 06:54 (Ref:3833145)   #236
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post

Most surprising moment?
We have so far learned the BTCC keeps being competitive no matter what

Winners have been Turkington and the WSR BMW squad, plus Tingram too and also PMR for getting their first win. Losers have been BMR, while Team HARD have also struggled to get results.

Plato has been the biggest underperformer, he should be getting more out of the car. Overperformer? Probably, Eurotech, no one saw that coming

Biggest surprise no doubt was Simpson's pole and subsequent win

Driving standards have remained high this season thankfully
Old 26 Jun 2018, 07:25 (Ref:3833150)   #237
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post

Most surprising moment?
We've learned that there are always people who'll complain no matter what

Among the winners I'd put Turks of course as he's the leader of the championship but also Tingram, Motorbase, Eurotech and PMR. All these three teams perform much better than last year.
Losers are for me BMR of course and Dynamics as well. Neal may be third in the championship but so far I can't see them among the strongest contenders.

Underperformers are Plato and Jake Hill (or the whole Team HARD), overperformers are Sutton and PMR for me.

As far as most surprising moment is concerned I'd put pole and win by Simpson.

Driving standards are quite good, however I haven't seen every race so far.
Old 26 Jun 2018, 12:40 (Ref:3833179)   #238
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Most surprising - and pleasantly so - was Dan Lloyd returning. Top that with the win. A quality driver is Dan, clearly the BTC Norlin team know their onions too. Pleasing to see Chris Smiley going well.

Most pleasingly of all is that all of our drivers are still in one piece at the mid-season break: that accident last year at Croft was awful.
Old 26 Jun 2018, 20:36 (Ref:3833240)   #239
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As we've reached the midpoint of the season, I thought I'd give my thoughts and opinions on each of the teams' performances so far. Sorry in advance for the very long post...

- WSR - 9/10 - A good season so far for the BMWs, but, though they are leading pretty much everything, to me they aren't quite as dominant as they have been in previous years. Turkington has been near-perfect as usual, Jordan is right up there although hasn't got a win yet but Collard hasn't quite showed the form as last year.

- BMR - 3/10 - Enough has been said about the Subaru, Sutton and Plato already so I'll leave this here. Josh Price has been very disappointing though, and seems to be swapping the bottom two positions with Smelt in nearly every session...

- PMR - 10/10 - The Astras have surely been the surprise of the season, with 3 wins in 15 races and numerous podiums. Cook looks a lot better than last year and is a genuine championship contender.

- Dynamics - 8/10 - The new FK8 has been quick but perhaps a little overshadowed by the older models. Although not coming across to me as being and overly quick car Neal has crept up to P3 in the championship and Cammish is doing very well for his rookie year, and the car can only get stronger as the season goes on.

- Eurotech - 9/10 - Ignoring Croft, Eurotech have been one the quickest teams this season. Goff has carried on his late-2017 pace and is in the title hunt, Brett Smith has been skirting around the podium and Simpson is now a race winner.

- BTC Norlin - 7/10 - Shame that Nash didn't work out though his replacement couldn't have really been much better, with Lloyd giving the team their maiden win in the most recent race. Smiley has been on the podium too and very quick all season. This is a team punching way above its weight though could do with some more consistency across all tracks.

- Speedworks - 10/10 - Tingram is still my bet for the title, and has been fighting cleanly at the front at every track, often with a great amount of ballast on board. Very likeable driver who is fully deserving of the championship.

- TPR - 2/10 - I believe Jelley is yet to score a single point, despite the new BMW, and seems to be involved in his fair share of incidents. Bit of a shame given the size of the team and their success in GTs that they haven't done better in the BTCC.

- HARD - 5/10 - I really like the team, the drivers and the cars, so it's a real shame that with all the work they've done over the winter that the CC has been a bit of a backmarker this season. Bushell and Hill have shown occasional flashes of speed, and hopefully the car will be more suited for Snetterton. Though, with quite a few reliability issues maybe the VWs are showing their age...?

- AmD MGs - 6/10 - With Butcher at the wheel, we can safely say Shaun has proven us wrong about the MGs, and again Snett should suit the car. Boardman has been disappointing though after a 4th place in the wet-dry race.

- AmD Audis - 5/10 - Jackson has been a lot more impressive to me this year, and is getting some pretty strong results in the Audi. Perhaps though the car now is as fast as it's going to get and maybe AmD would be better off trading in 1 or 2 TBLs for a new build for 2019. Smelt, on the other hand, is out of his depth with his inexperience.

- Ciceley - 9/10 - Seems that Morgan had an off year in 2017 but is more than making up for it so far, and is another who should be fighting for the title come Brands. Oliphant has been very impressive too for a rookie, but Moffat has been the most disappointing so far, being a bit of a magnet for contact so far. I predict a win for him on his home turf, however.

- Motorbase - 8/10 - Up there with the Astras as being the strongest car this season, Chilton has been slowly making his way up the championship order, and Cole is doing a lot better than in his BMR years. Hard to believe Tordoff has evaded the podium so far (6x 4th places!) having a fair bit of bad luck and is more than due for a win.

- HMS - 6/10 - The Alfa couldn't really be more of an Alfa, being extremely quick but suffering from a bunch if mechanical issues. However, Austin is more than capable of winning races by the end of the season, and I would love to see a second Giulietta added for '19.
Old 27 Jun 2018, 07:19 (Ref:3833293)   #240
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Good write up there
Old 27 Jun 2018, 13:44 (Ref:3833324)   #241
medius
Veteran

England
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The question I'd like to pose is those who departed this term, would they have done better than those who replaced them? I think AWE would have fared better in a second season than Smelt. Flash and Cammish? Itwould be difficult to be certain Gordon wouldn't have bettered Dan's performances given how close everyone is this year.

Obviously commercial/financial reasons played huge a part for changes but overall I think the grid is far stronger in 2018 than 2017.
Old 27 Jun 2018, 18:50 (Ref:3833359)   #242
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
I don't think we have any obvious weak drivers this year. It certainly would be easy to suggest Sam Smelt for example, but wouldn't necessarily be fair to do so. He certainly lacks experience, but we all start from somewhere. Certainly the young man is gaining confidence and was able to fight JP for position a few weeks back.

I suspect that with time he will get better: classic example to me is Mike Bushell - struggled in his first year, now back with confidence and the right mentality to survive and hopefully thrive in BTCC.

I hope that we will see AWE and Mike Epps back on the grid one day too. As usual money plays a big part, competing at the sharp end of a Mini or Clio grid certainly gives the association of success with the brands they promote, whereas the lower end of a BTCC grid may not.
Old 28 Jun 2018, 06:54 (Ref:3833409)   #243
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I'm not a follower of football (understatement) but hear that the German Team have been knocked out of the World Cup. Have TOCA been advising FIFA on equivalency?
Old 2 Jul 2018, 00:34 (Ref:3834228)   #244
v jones
Rookie

v jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is speculation that Rye House Speedway has folded,the connection is that the promoter was Warren Scott/BMR. The rumour is that financial problems have forced this,riders not being paid.
Old 2 Jul 2018, 21:10 (Ref:3834360)   #245
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here we go again!

https://twitter.com/tonygilham34/sta...911783426?s=21
"Some very interesting @DunlopBTCC news from @TeamHardRacing at 3pm tomorrow #thereturn #original #001"

Any ideas?
Old 2 Jul 2018, 21:38 (Ref:3834364)   #246
medius
Veteran

England
Chassis 001 was the NGTC prototype Avensis most recently seen in the BTCC driven by Michael Caine and Tony Gilham in 2016. Its lately been raced in Britcar by HARD. maybe Gow has granted a guest entry TBL for Snetterton anniversary weekend? Speculation on the driver commences now!
Old 2 Jul 2018, 22:14 (Ref:3834370)   #247
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
who wants to hang around at the back of the grid ? that car was never competitive, it would be even less in 2018 unless it gets a big boost increase
Old 2 Jul 2018, 23:41 (Ref:3834378)   #248
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Here we go again!

https://twitter.com/tonygilham34/sta...911783426?s=21
"Some very interesting @DunlopBTCC news from @TeamHardRacing at 3pm tomorrow #thereturn #original #001"

Any ideas?
Tony Gilham is going to return to driving, to replace a Team HARD driver who is moving to another team for the second half of the season.
Old 3 Jul 2018, 05:00 (Ref:3834392)   #249
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by v jones View Post
There is speculation that Rye House Speedway has folded,the connection is that the promoter was Warren Scott/BMR. The rumour is that financial problems have forced this,riders not being paid.
Reporting is all a bit vague (as expected).

Fans of the team are hopeful that it's just a technical issue.
The team post just says 'unforseen circumstances'.
Somerset have said that it is due to 'internal problems'.

In connection to btcc - we've seen issues at BMR and 888 internally so far. Hopefully we don't see grid numbers affected.
Old 3 Jul 2018, 07:01 (Ref:3834398)   #250
S griffin
Veteran

I wonder if this annoucement from Tony Gilham has anything to do with the 60th anniversary meeting at Snetterton