Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 Mar 2021, 08:12 (Ref:4041629)   #1101
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are you all ready for another puzzle?

Who,what, where & when please?

Sorry The picture wont post in the correct form but it does turn when you click on it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sketch201.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	67661
Old 21 Mar 2021, 07:29 (Ref:4042029)   #1102
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Not an easy one as you can guess. Did you change something from the original picture, for instance the advert on the truck?
Old 21 Mar 2021, 08:51 (Ref:4042035)   #1103
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Not an easy one as you can guess. Did you change something from the original picture, for instance the advert on the truck?
Notwen oils was an oil company around in the 50's (but I believe to be much older) founded by a Bernie Newton (Notwen is the reverse of Newton) I believe it was later changed to Newton Oils. I know in the 60's Newton Oils sponsored the "Newton Oils Trophy" at Prescott.

Legend says the name was changed because Notwen Oils salesmen got fed up with being given lines like "Don't want your oils, NOTWEN we can better oils elsewhere".

I also discovered that LH Newton was a company originally founded in 1872 and in the 1900's were manufacturers of nuts, bolts and precision stuff with a connection to the aero industry.

Ernest Newton's company was a prolific producer of promotional items in the early 1950s. These are now very collectible... ie branded oil pourers, oil cans through to pens and ashtrays.

I also found this ad in old classic cars. It refers to a Dennis Poore, who with his Alfa, was sponsored by Notwen Oils (clearly not associated with the car in the picture posted by rbs.):

I also found this, again in Classic Cars...

They also sponsored the 1952 RAC Competition Calendar.

But I have no clue about this particular car. I would take a guess at it being Silverstone and early 1950's. (Is that a Humber, the #42 in the background?)
Old 21 Mar 2021, 10:28 (Ref:4042053)   #1104
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the car in the background is an Allard saloon
Old 21 Mar 2021, 11:12 (Ref:4042060)   #1105
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is, belived to be the car Sydney Allard won the Monte Carlo Rally with.
Old 21 Mar 2021, 16:57 (Ref:4042094)   #1106
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
OK, we progress, we have the oil story and the Allard. May be time for rbs to give us one clue may be? Robert?
Old 21 Mar 2021, 18:58 (Ref:4042109)   #1107
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
After asking a friend who has a better memory than me, and a bit of Googling I got the part of the identify of RBS's mystery car. Truly it so obscure that the chances of anyone finding the answer is about 100-1.

The rear end gives a clue to part of the answer, and the exhaust pipes a little help, but frankly my advice is to give up.
Old 22 Mar 2021, 04:34 (Ref:4042156)   #1108
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post

The rear end gives a clue to part of the answer, and the exhaust pipes a little help, but frankly my advice is to give up.
Yeah I advised myself to give up and learn from others on here re the car... I came up with a number of names it could be but that gave me nothing specific beyond a quite. long 'short' list. .

I did learn a lot about Notwen oils though.

Good question none the less.
Old 22 Mar 2021, 06:03 (Ref:4042158)   #1109
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
OK, I spent more than one hour on interweb and found nothing but about Notwen oils. Just for fun and just before rbs reveals "le pot aux roses" my feeling is that this thing was based on a 500 racer and twin engined.
Yes good question and certainly very good when you know the answer!
Old 22 Mar 2021, 06:45 (Ref:4042163)   #1110
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
With permission of RB himself I can tell you the car is the Butterworth Keift Formula 1 car with a Butterworth engine. The engine was a flat four and was part Steyr Puch, and part Norton based.

Google Archi Butterworth to discover more.
Old 22 Mar 2021, 08:13 (Ref:4042165)   #1111
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
The car was the Keift Butterworth, it was at Silverstone for the 1953 International Trophy race in may. As far as I am aware it only practiced in the hands of Frenchman Andres Loens who was a regular 500 cc driver. The car had some succes in Hillclimbs with Michael Christie. The engine had an unusal inlet system that I did not quite understand when explained to me.

Andres Loens was killed a few years later at Montlhery but I do not know what happened to the car.
Old 22 Mar 2021, 08:17 (Ref:4042166)   #1112
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Thanks again for the question bringing interesting info like the Tojeiro Butterworth car and of course, Notwen oils thanks EB. Found a picture of Archibald James, looks fantastic!
Old 22 Mar 2021, 11:34 (Ref:4042194)   #1113
bauble
Veteran

England
Growing up in the fifties, my friend Eric and I were great motor racing fans, and attended a lot of meetings at circuits like Silverstone, Brands Hatch, and Goodwood. Now Eric has a fantastic memory for events and people from that era, personally I do not. Here is his take on the Mystery Car;

Memories memories. I definitely saw that car in therF3 race at the Trophy Meeting in 1953 maybe it didn't do many laps !. We also saw it at the 1953 Easter Goodwood meeting where it ran in the Lavant Cup race driven by Michael Christie with an 1100 JAP engine. The car is mentioned in 'A record of 500cc racing and the Trophy meeting is mentioned. I don't believe that its Andre Loens at the wheel either, he also drove a Staride and a Kieft usually painted yellow so I thought he was Belgian he also raced the Fraser Hartwell Syndicate Cooper Bristol in 1953. I used to quite like him. I don't think that there was ever an F1 Kieft Butterworth.. Mind how yer go!. Eric.

RB, where do you get your information from? Programmes, Dads notes?

A fascinating puzzle either way, I assume we have more to come!
Old 22 Mar 2021, 11:58 (Ref:4042196)   #1114
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
The info has come from several places including Dads comments in a phto album, most of it came from the BRDC library at the farm on the circuit, including the 53 International Trophy meeting programme. Can not remember if cars from other formula's were allowed in the race though.
Old 22 Mar 2021, 13:15 (Ref:4042197)   #1115
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
What a memory that must have been. It was credit to the BRDC they were able to organise events like that at Silverstone. Back when you had such a variety of entries. Wouldn't surprise if cars from other formulas were allowed to race, was quite common in those days
Old 22 Mar 2021, 13:21 (Ref:4042201)   #1116
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
What a memory that must have been. It was credit to the BRDC they were able to organise events like that at Silverstone. Back when you had such a variety of entries. Wouldn't surprise if cars from other formulas were allowed to race, was quite common in those days
It was about tghe time when GP's were for F2 cars & F1 cars had much larger engines. Maybe they did run together. Unfortunately I do not own the programme.,
Old 22 Mar 2021, 13:48 (Ref:4042208)   #1117
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
It was about tghe time when GP's were for F2 cars & F1 cars had much larger engines. Maybe they did run together. Unfortunately I do not own the programme.,
The website silhouet.com has results off all non championship races in 1953. Those for the International Trophy in May show No 39 as a Keift Butterworth driven by Andre Loen. It attended but did not start either heat or final.
Old 22 Mar 2021, 14:50 (Ref:4042228)   #1118
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
The website silhouet.com has results off all non championship races in 1953. Those for the International Trophy in May show No 39 as a Keift Butterworth driven by Andre Loen. It attended but did not start either heat or final.
Snap. Just sent RB a copy.
Old 22 Mar 2021, 23:14 (Ref:4042327)   #1119
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That is a good website to use, but it doesn’t have all the answers
Old 23 Mar 2021, 07:19 (Ref:4042359)   #1120
bauble
Veteran

England
Every morning i log on in fear that there will be another devilish mindbender from RBS to solve (attempt).
You will all recognise this famous person.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5348.JPG  
Old 23 Mar 2021, 07:56 (Ref:4042365)   #1121
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes he's a former cycle racer of note, Bob Tinsel or something like that

No idea who the bloke interviewing him is.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 23 Mar 2021, 08:01 (Ref:4042367)   #1122
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
Just imagine how good Gary would have been if he had taken up "serious" motorsport.
Old 23 Mar 2021, 08:02 (Ref:4042368)   #1123
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Every morning i log on in fear that there will be another devilish mindbender from RBS to solve (attempt).
You will all recognise this famous person.
Would you like another early 50's puzzle picture?
Old 23 Mar 2021, 08:33 (Ref:4042374)   #1124
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Would you like another early 50's puzzle picture?
Why not? Give me a chance to show off. Yeah!
Old 23 Mar 2021, 08:35 (Ref:4042375)   #1125
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Just imagine how good Gary would have been if he had taken up "serious" motorsport.
He once told me that he had been born out of time, his favourite cars being the D-Type and the 2.5 litre BRM, he would loved to have raced them in period.

A very nice chap, and so is Gary by the way.