Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 20 Nov 2002, 14:41 (Ref:433178)   #1
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Specials

I'm working on a project on unique competition cars - specials, any discipline, must be british based. Any ideas?
Old 20 Nov 2002, 15:29 (Ref:433239)   #2
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about Jim Yardleys series of Beagles? The mk V was an F3 car which ran in 1985 and was then supposed to be taken over by a Mallory based team called Trio racing for the 86 season - I think their driver was Dave Morgan.
Old 20 Nov 2002, 15:52 (Ref:433254)   #3
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Re: Specials

Quote:
Originally posted by ss_collins
I'm working on a project on unique competition cars - specials, any discipline, must be british based. Any ideas?
750MC immediately springs to mind!
Old 20 Nov 2002, 15:53 (Ref:433255)   #4
Tony Harman
Veteran

Tony Harman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a Beagle sold a couple of years back that we expected to see turn up in Classic Clubmans, hasn't done so as yet.
Clubmans as a formula has come up with pretty much all specials really, and continues to do so. Also consider 750 formula and it's big brother F1300.
Old 20 Nov 2002, 16:46 (Ref:433309)   #5
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
superb I will be at some meetings they are at early next year to do a bit. Not just racing cars - any motorsport. Also I don't want too mant of one formula (I'm reckoning on around 50 cars)

are there any special owners out there who have interesting and unique cars?
Old 20 Nov 2002, 22:18 (Ref:433552)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There is a guy I race against in a Jaguar Special that is XK engined. It's a two seater open topped machine that is based on a 140 (I think).

I once heard the commentator say he used it every day for work!
Old 20 Nov 2002, 23:59 (Ref:433630)   #7
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
keep em coming!
Old 21 Nov 2002, 01:25 (Ref:433667)   #8
Ian-S
Racer

Ian-S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anybody remember John Oxborough?
Local to you too, kent somewhere, may still race I think.

(think thats how you spell his name!)

Always raced his own build cars, started in Formula Ford, but went to a roadgoing series, I think OX-6 was a roadgoing car he used during the week to goto work!

Last edited by Ian-S; 21 Nov 2002 at 01:26.
Old 21 Nov 2002, 01:28 (Ref:433669)   #9
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oxborrows OX FF cars were as fast as anything at Brands CoB races, and his sportscar was pretty nippy at Lydden IIRC.

Dont suppose anyone knows of the hwereabouts of Jim yeardley or has any pictures of the Beagle MK5 F3 car? All I have is a black and white picture of the back from an old Motor Sport - it had a beam axle and I would love to see it... think it had a March 793 nose.
Old 15 Dec 2002, 13:17 (Ref:450376)   #10
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
can anyone give me locations, contact numbers ors dates when these cars are guaranteed to be at Brands!
Old 15 Dec 2002, 13:27 (Ref:450382)   #11
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Yes I'd like to know when SS_COLLINS is at Brands too, as I've got a load of well rotted manure to deliver to his front garden. Get orf my land Townie!!
Seriously tho have a look at the 750mc website for dates as there are tons of one-offs racing with them. I would love to see that Beagle F3 out again in TF3 or Mono's.
Old 15 Dec 2002, 14:05 (Ref:450399)   #12
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by ss_collins
can anyone give me locations, contact numbers ors dates when these cars are guaranteed to be at Brands!
The 750MC has a meeting at Brands on April 12th/13th next year. Their website will give details of which classes are racing, but the 2003 details are not there yet.

Last edited by Dave Brand; 15 Dec 2002 at 14:07.
Old 15 Dec 2002, 18:32 (Ref:450521)   #13
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Ghinzani - proper job. arrrr. Badger baiting specials do not qualify niether do tractor based race cars. arrr. Im often at brands and Combe just drifting about.
Old 26 Dec 2002, 22:59 (Ref:457858)   #14
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
bump - I'm still activley looking to add more cars to my list.
Old 27 Dec 2002, 05:27 (Ref:457961)   #15
mickj
Racer

mickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who was the gentleman who built a series of specials called "Ladybirds". He now lives on the west coast of the USA.
Old 27 Dec 2002, 14:20 (Ref:458198)   #16
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
I note that you stipulate British-based. Does an Aussie-built special currently racing in the UK qualify? If so, you'd probably find Mike Eagles' Milano interesting. Built in 1964, with a coupe body reminiscent of contemporary British specials, & powered by a three-litre Holden six.
Old 27 Dec 2002, 14:56 (Ref:458218)   #17
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
yes anthing that competes in the UK preferably england. do you have contact details for the cars mentioned? and locations
Old 27 Dec 2002, 16:19 (Ref:458257)   #18
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
I haven't got any contact details for Mike Eagles, but he races the Milano at HSCC meetings, so it may be worth contacting them. In the race programmes he is listed as being from London.
Old 27 Dec 2002, 23:57 (Ref:458532)   #19
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
cheers, any more??
Old 28 Dec 2002, 00:35 (Ref:458552)   #20
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Have a look for a book - "The Enthusiasts Guide to Vintage Specials" by John Bateman, published by Haynes in 1994. I paid £20 for mine, secondhand, and it's pretty easy to find.

It has full histories, development stories, specifications and photos of about 100 of the best known specials on the UK historic racing scene.
Old 28 Dec 2002, 21:47 (Ref:459130)   #21
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
mmm not really after historics...
Old 28 Dec 2002, 22:48 (Ref:459213)   #22
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Although a good book on specials is John Bolsters book Specials. Should be easy to find a cheap copy on ABE.com
Old 29 Dec 2002, 00:15 (Ref:459278)   #23
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, you did say any discipline, mate!

And it could be argued that the art of special-building is becoming less and less recognised because of the organising clubs' keenness for "spec" championships, more's the pity. In many ways, the VSCC and 750MC are the defenders of the faith, with gridfuls of home-builts rendered ineligible by so many other championships.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 12:46 (Ref:459478)   #24
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
A good point I suppose I could drop a few historics in, and I did say any discipline. There are more specials out there than you think but it is on the down hill in racing, kinda why I'm doing this projct to wake everyone up and say look at these funny cars aren't they cool
Old 24 Jan 2003, 15:42 (Ref:484652)   #25
Tony Harman
Veteran

Tony Harman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mickj
Who was the gentleman who built a series of specials called "Ladybirds". He now lives on the west coast of the USA.
Not sure about the guy who actually built them but Rob Yarwood, ex-pat Brit living in Oregon, is still racing a couple of them. They are really Clubmans cars.