Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 16 Feb 2018, 20:47 (Ref:3801915)   #16
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
It stays busy all year? This is news to me and I've been going there since the 80s. Thanks for the heads up!
Road Atlanta has 46 events on their calendar for 2018. That doesn't count the private team testing, sanctioning bodies renting it out, tire testing, tv ads and manufacturers that rent the track for new car or motorcycle releases/sales training. They don't have to be spectator events to generate income.

Maybe it's not busy for 365 days per year but that is a lot of events as compared to let's say 1980. There are 27 car track days and 4 motorcycle, NASA, drifting, gridlife and LeMons. Those didn't exist back then. So, all of those days those groups rent the track out, keep it busy thus money keeps coming in. Back in the day, the track sat empty for months, thus no income, no racers spending money and no noise. So, it was easy to look at it like a nuisance back then.

Tracks like VIR and WG are nowhere near any homes and growth yet both failed. Today, they thrive and only because they can stay busy. A friend of mine runs three separate track events at WG and he even tells me, the track is 100% full from when they open to close. When the track had to repave and shut down, the town took a hit because of no racers in town spending money.

I wouldn't worry about Road Atlanta closing down. If it does, there are lots of other tracks to run that 10hr event at. So, it's no big deal.
Old 16 Feb 2018, 21:54 (Ref:3801930)   #17
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvincent View Post
Road Atlanta has 46 events on their calendar for 2018. That doesn't count the private team testing, sanctioning bodies renting it out, tire testing, tv ads and manufacturers that rent the track for new car or motorcycle releases/sales training. They don't have to be spectator events to generate income.

Maybe it's not busy for 365 days per year but that is a lot of events as compared to let's say 1980. There are 27 car track days and 4 motorcycle, NASA, drifting, gridlife and LeMons. Those didn't exist back then. So, all of those days those groups rent the track out, keep it busy thus money keeps coming in. Back in the day, the track sat empty for months, thus no income, no racers spending money and no noise. So, it was easy to look at it like a nuisance back then.

Tracks like VIR and WG are nowhere near any homes and growth yet both failed. Today, they thrive and only because they can stay busy. A friend of mine runs three separate track events at WG and he even tells me, the track is 100% full from when they open to close. When the track had to repave and shut down, the town took a hit because of no racers in town spending money.

I wouldn't worry about Road Atlanta closing down. If it does, there are lots of other tracks to run that 10hr event at. So, it's no big deal.
I'm well aware of the events at the track and was being facetious. Should've added a to the previous comment. I wish I could go to most of them like I did a decade ago.

I don't worry about much and I'm not worrying about this; just saying it's more possible than others previously listed in this thread.

To your point of having a 10 hr race elsewhere being "no big deal"; I beg to differ!!! I live 40 mins from the track and PLM is my "fall break", so moving it elsewhere would be a big deal for me.

Just today, I've seen another improvement to the facilities by adding a walking lane around turn 10. I'd like to see some comfort station improvement and grass seeding in some locations, but the point being, they are doing some decent investments to the facility and hopefully, adding some more races. To this subject, I'd love to see the Busch/Xfinity/Insert Sponsor series have a race there.
Old 16 Feb 2018, 22:24 (Ref:3801933)   #18
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
To your point of having a 10 hr race elsewhere being "no big deal"; I beg to differ!!! I live 40 mins from the track and PLM is my "fall break", so moving it elsewhere would be a big deal for me.

Just today, I've seen another improvement to the facilities by adding a walking lane around turn 10. I'd like to see some comfort station improvement and grass seeding in some locations, but the point being, they are doing some decent investments to the facility and hopefully, adding some more races. To this subject, I'd love to see the Busch/Xfinity/Insert Sponsor series have a race there.
Hey, just cause my terrible attempt at seed didn't take doesn't mean I won't try again. Although I'm thinking white clover next time, that sh!t will grow anywhere.

And yes, actually consistently flushing attached to the floor would be SPECTACULAR.

And I'm always torn about the junior series. I'd be there in a second to watch, but what would they do to the track? I kind of like the no garage paddock, bring your truck, trailer and awning.

I'll have to check out the turn 10 pavement at SVRA Saturday of Easter weekend. Historic cars and Trans Am Friday and Sat, no racing on Easter.
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Old 19 Feb 2018, 19:16 (Ref:3802473)   #19
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is what will happen if NASCAR gets sold (it'll follow what happens to every company the gets bought).

1. Sale announced and upper management will be grinning so much you'd think that it was photo shopped.
2. Actual sale will go through 3-6 months later.
3. During that 3-6 months, all upper and middle management will be offered a retention bonus. This will literally make their yearly pay double than what it is now. The key is, it gets payed out in installments for 1-2 years after the official purchase goes through. Quit early, the bonuses stop. It gets bigger when you get closer to that 1-2 years. They stay on board because it makes no sense to walk away from that money.
4. New Captain will run the NASCAR ship and he is announced. This all comes with glowing reports from all current NASCAR employees in every division.
5. Changes happen within the company but nobody on the outside will know or even care.
6. Then we start to see changes because the new captain brings in lots of his guys and they question many things. For example, Do we really need to be owning all of these racetracks? Can't we sell that division to someone else (i.e. investment firm)? or Do we really need to be doing sportscar racing? Can we sell it too? Don't be surprised to see divisions of NASCAR being put up for sale or spun off into their own wholly owned subsidiary in hopes someone buys it then.
7. After year one is done, you'll see some management and officials go work elsewhere. Same for the end of year two. We won't care unless it's PWC because then we can theorize about it all day long.
8. Something will get sold off. If it does, then we can theorize about it too. It's obvious that only Road Atlanta matters and the Petit race. If ISC gets sold, then we can have this same conversation again in 2 years. Hopefully someone old enough is left at ISC to remember when they attempted to buy racetracks, shut them down and sell them to developers for them to be bulldozed for homes along with various retail stores built in it's place. As we all know, that didn't work out too well.
9. Aliens come in and make the human race their slaves. We then just work for them and talk about how much fun racing was.
Old 20 Feb 2018, 00:12 (Ref:3802507)   #20
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Whatever the asking price for NASCAR, it's too much and I don't think any smart investor will buy it right now. It's probably worth a third of what it was 10 years ago, unless you can allocate some value in the Monster Energy Girls.
Old 20 Feb 2018, 00:13 (Ref:3802508)   #21
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Hey, just cause my terrible attempt at seed didn't take doesn't mean I won't try again. Although I'm thinking white clover next time, that sh!t will grow anywhere.

And yes, actually consistently flushing attached to the floor would be SPECTACULAR.

And I'm always torn about the junior series. I'd be there in a second to watch, but what would they do to the track? I kind of like the no garage paddock, bring your truck, trailer and awning.

I'll have to check out the turn 10 pavement at SVRA Saturday of Easter weekend. Historic cars and Trans Am Friday and Sat, no racing on Easter.
I wouldn't mind a paddock full of actual garages. More investment for the track.

They need to tear down the bridge over the front stretch and do a tunnel, to add to my ever-growing honey do list. But 40 plus Stockcars screaming down the back stretch moves the needle for me!

I commend your efforts to grow grass on rocks, sir!
Old 20 Feb 2018, 00:28 (Ref:3802511)   #22
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
IMSA isn't NASCAR's core business. It isn't even close. If (big if) NASCAR gets sold, while the impact on NASCAR is unclear, the impact on IMSA is really, really unclear.

Big companies don't like playing around with little sideline activities. I could easily imagine a NASCAR buyer eventually selling IMSA off (could Scott Atherton raise enough money to take it over, maybe with a partner? ACO? SRO?) or, depending on how the ownership is structured, maybe leave it with the France family.
Old 20 Feb 2018, 14:33 (Ref:3802676)   #23
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the podium!Coach Ep has a real shot at the podium!Coach Ep has a real shot at the podium!Coach Ep has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
IMSA isn't NASCAR's core business. It isn't even close. If (big if) NASCAR gets sold, while the impact on NASCAR is unclear, the impact on IMSA is really, really unclear.

Big companies don't like playing around with little sideline activities. I could easily imagine a NASCAR buyer eventually selling IMSA off (could Scott Atherton raise enough money to take it over, maybe with a partner? ACO? SRO?) or, depending on how the ownership is structured, maybe leave it with the France family.
I could see Tony Parella (SVRA/Trans Am) being interested.

(background info: https://svra.com/news/tony-parella-a...nership-group/)
Old 21 Feb 2018, 13:34 (Ref:3802919)   #24
jjvincent
Racer

If someone bought NASCAR and decided to sell off ISC, I could see tracks actually get better.

Let's look at Road Atlanta. I don't see why they couldn't do a setup like you have at NJMP or VIR. That's where you have a clubhouse and somewhere on the track (i.e back straight) a row of town homes. Then take the new pits and make them just like in Europe (i.e. COTA). With garages, a removable pit wall and suites above pit road. That way, you all of a sudden become a track that can run a Creventic or WEC event. Who wouldn't want a Creventic race there? They run it at COTA and split it up (14hr on Sat and 10 on Sun) because of the sound ordnance. It could also run that 8hr event they currently do at Laguna. I'd think that even motorcycles would run a big event at the track. Again, because it would be set up like most tracks in Europe (remember European teams don;t come with the dog an pony show like we have in the US, it's basic and meant to set up in a garage on pit road). There's enough land out by the street that they could lease some out to something like a big gas station/convenience mart.

In the end, instead of looking at the gloom and doom of Road Atlanta, it could literally be still be there but better than ever. Along with more world class events. I currently don't see ISC ever spending any more money on the track but a new owner could look at it as an opportunity to make it even more profitable through investment.
Old 21 Feb 2018, 16:45 (Ref:3802978)   #25
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!
Thanks but hopefully none of that at Road Atlanta. That would price the groups who do use the track right out the door. Plus there is VERY little room outside of the track walls and work areas that they could buy. Believe the property edge is within feet of the walls from 2 out to 7 so no expansion there. There has been off track construction behind 8 for other events that was just completed recently to use the extra space they had. And the track runs in a shoe string budget as it is.

And ISC has spent a TON of money in the last couple of years around the track and they have a list of things to improve that's years long already.
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Old 21 Feb 2018, 17:16 (Ref:3802982)   #26
jjvincent
Racer

Quote:
Thanks but hopefully none of that at Road Atlanta. That would price the groups who do use the track right out the door. Plus there is VERY little room outside of the track walls and work areas that they could buy. Believe the property edge is within feet of the walls from 2 out to 7 so no expansion there. There has been off track construction behind 8 for other events that was just completed recently to use the extra space they had. And the track runs in a shoe string budget as it is.

And ISC has spent a TON of money in the last couple of years around the track and they have a list of things to improve that's years long already.
Here's the current property record for Road Atlanta. When you go to the site then click on maps and it'll give you the property line.
https://qpublic.schneidercorp.com/Ap...=15028B000011A
Old 21 Feb 2018, 19:04 (Ref:3803004)   #27
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Except the owners have said multiple times they can not work beyond the walls there as they do not own the land there. And there are restrictions in that area as well due to noise and watershed concerns. Just going by statements made by track officials and discussions I have been lucky enough to be a part of being at the track early with officials and actually asking questions about why things are the way they are. And have requested a few things they have said are in the works. The area outside of 8 has storage and equipment within it, and one of the garages full of old signage and advertising.
Old 21 Feb 2018, 20:39 (Ref:3803025)   #28
jjvincent
Racer

Quote:
Except the owners have said multiple times they can not work beyond the walls there as they do not own the land there. And there are restrictions in that area as well due to noise and watershed concerns. Just going by statements made by track officials and discussions I have been lucky enough to be a part of being at the track early with officials and actually asking questions about why things are the way they are. And have requested a few things they have said are in the works. The area outside of 8 has storage and equipment within it, and one of the garages full of old signage and advertising.
According to the official property lines, they can. So, who do you believe, the officials or what the official property lines say? If it was me, I'd believe what is on the deed, not what officials have been feeding people.

Quote:
Thanks but hopefully none of that at Road Atlanta. That would price the groups who do use the track right out the door.
What events do they run at Road Atlanta would be chased out of there because of a clubhouse and town homes? Right now, NJMP and VIR hold similar events yet both have clubhouses and town homes.

What you need to look at is COTA, They figured they could crank out high prices for rental. It took about 1 year for COTA to figure out that an F1 track does not mean, F1 prices for all. They tried and found themselves sitting around with nobody using the facility. In the end, don't mistake having a better facility to mean bigger prices and the lower level guys going away. There's too much competition out there. The market dictates the price. Even a big place like Daytona still runs anything they can find.
Old 21 Feb 2018, 22:35 (Ref:3803048)   #29
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
The fact that you believe that is a 100 percent accurate statement of property lines means you have never dealt with Georgia online deed maps. I have, and even in the current tax record and deed maps lines are WAY off and have to be resubmitted constantly. I have to request surveys weekly to determine ownership boundaries. Plus they may not be able to build on that land as part of a covenant on their deed. I have no way of knowing that information and neither do you without requesting a legal copy of it through a record request, usually with a justification for such request.

As for VIR, that track has used the condo and allowed living space on the track to fund themselves. Road Atlanta would not be allowed rezoning as they have enough trouble with the county and new residents already. I know a few people who own there and it's NOT cheap at all and rates have gone through the roof. There was an early attempt to offer deals to those who moved in to Chateu Elan country club similar deals for track access and it was laughed at by most.

COTA is supported by millions from the state of Texas still. Check back in 10 years on that one, but apparently they are concerned about their rental future. But I've only read a few things as I find the track completely distasteful and repulsive with 100k 'camping spots'
Old 22 Feb 2018, 01:21 (Ref:3803059)   #30
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvincent View Post

In the end, instead of looking at the gloom and doom of Road Atlanta...
No one here has been doing this. It was said at the beginning that it was possible that a sale could lead to something and IF it was to happen, we'd be upset. Why we keep repeating this narrative and then arguing the point is beyond me.

Gloom and doom? Check the ratings for the Daytona 500. Worst. Ever.