Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Jul 2010, 16:22 (Ref:2724971)   #1
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lewis Hamilton is the best driver in F1. Discuss

Even after his 2008 title it could be argued that Alonso was a more complete driver.

But the way he has driven in 09 and so far in 2010 Hamilton has surely surpassed everyone. Tremendous skill is one thing but he is now combining it with the maturity of a veteran. His driving this season has been sublime and he is able to eek out great results with not the best car and able to capitalize on his rivals' misfortunes. Yesterday's qualifying which set up today's result being the perfect example.

It is looking more and more likely that with a car half a second slower than the Red Bulls he will be world champion this year and deservedly so.

*Gets popcorn.*
Old 11 Jul 2010, 16:27 (Ref:2724975)   #2
NeilB
Rookie

England
NeilB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Alonso has the overall edge in terms of being the best all round driver in the paddock. Lewis showed the area he needs to develop more in Australia, where he was relying on the team to make decisions for him, rather than calling the shots himself.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 16:28 (Ref:2724976)   #3
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would say he is now, yep.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 16:31 (Ref:2724977)   #4
pannenmann
Racer

Germany
Bavaria
pannenmann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's not much to discuss. Hamilton is just astonishing. A natural racer, fantastic speed and great instict of when and how to overtake (or take otherwise advantage). Alonso never really was a match for him, even when Hamilton was still a rookie making rookie mistakes, he cracked him up. Plus he is very stable and strong character-wise, more than most F1 drivers. Self-centric enough but not losing touch with reality. Ruthless when necessary, but at the same time foresighted (most of the time). If nothing awful happens, he will stay there for a long time. Probably being the first successor of Schumacher.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 16:38 (Ref:2724979)   #5
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
up until this year id say it was alonso (as much as it pains a brit to say so!!) but after all hamiltons troubles last year hes matured so much, from someone with astonishing speed, to someone who is not just quick, but can manage a race, tyres, fuel, can overtake.....and keep a level head when things are going wrong. to me that makes him the best driver in f1 at the moment....likewise alonso has slipped in my estimation....he looses his head too easily these days. vettel is quick, just like hamilton, but can drive like a moron sometimes and seems to spit the dummy out.....but ive do doubt he will mature just like hamilton.

so yeh hamiltons the best in f1 at the moment
Old 11 Jul 2010, 16:46 (Ref:2724982)   #6
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No!

Thread Closed!
Old 11 Jul 2010, 16:54 (Ref:2724988)   #7
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Thead Open!

I thought his decision to back off at the first corner in the race today, rather than continue to burn up the inside as I think he would have done in previous years, shows how much he has improved as a top flight driver.

Best in F1? Dunno.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 17:14 (Ref:2725000)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The best by an absolute mile.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 02:08 (Ref:2725183)   #9
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
... but did you see the race (s)?
Old 12 Jul 2010, 02:51 (Ref:2725194)   #10
rocketracer
Veteran

Australia
Albert Park
rocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hamilton this year, is reminding me of his driving in his championship year of 2008.

That year, the ferraris seemed to be the quicker car (certainly throughout the first half of the year), but they never seemed to maximise points, were squandering chances by making mistakes, and whenever there was a sniff, hamilton was on it, scoring wins. That has been his strength, which hasnt gone amiss.

In terms of weaknesses, a question mark in the past was probably held over his arrogance, and the need to be managed. But i think he's proven he is smarter than that, and proof, as strider mentioned, is how he has learned from Jenson this year in many ways. That has really added to his driving. I do find him immensely impressive.

However, in the ebb and flow of driver form, i dont think Alonso is really that far apart. kubica also (although, he still isnt a known quantity in the heavy end of a championship fight).

I guess the best gauge would be who would you choose to drive for your team. And it would be hard to argue against Hamilton as no.1 pick.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 09:39 (Ref:2725317)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6 View Post
... but did you see the race (s)?
Yes.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 10:40 (Ref:2725354)   #12
N.A-D.R
Veteran

Australia
Australia
N.A-D.R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hes not the best. but he'd be in top 5.

Alonso, Vettel, Kubica, Schumi (hes the best, just not anymore because hes past his peak) and possibly Webber.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 11:13 (Ref:2725372)   #13
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This interesting discussion is purely subjective from where we all sit but I admire the way he has learned to control his race, has apparently learned from Jenson and his sheer speed is awsome given the lack of testing now allowed. I believe he was right to not have his father as manager as there is no more biased person than a drivers Dad, ask any junior Karting driver. That bias leads to poor advice where the actual racing is concerned and may have been the reason for the arrogance that we now percieve has reduced.

Alonso on the other hand is showing the Latin temperament and his "no more radio" instruction yesterday shows, IMO, that he is too easily distracted. Being at Ferrari is not what he thought it would be because of the sheer rate of development in other teams and as a team I think they are missing the calming influence of Brawn, the genious of Byrne and the constant test and reject process that they had in the past at Fiorano.

We always said that this would be a great season
Old 12 Jul 2010, 13:21 (Ref:2725464)   #14
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A-D.R View Post
hes not the best. but he'd be in top 5.

Alonso, Vettel, Kubica, Schumi (hes the best, just not anymore because hes past his peak) and possibly Webber.
So you'd put him behind Schumacher, Webber and Vettel?
Old 22 Jul 2010, 00:07 (Ref:2730400)   #15
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
This is wrong - IMO of course.

I think I would probably say he is currently consistently the best driver in F1, and certainly some of the things he achieves are just mesmeric.

However, I think on their day Alonso, Vettel, Webber and perhaps Button, Kubica and Rosberg can be a match for him - and perhaps shade him on occasion.

This does not constitute an absolute mile.

However, he has become a far more complete driver over the last two seasons - to the point where, yes, if I had to pick one driver it would be Lewis.
Old 22 Jul 2010, 01:00 (Ref:2730406)   #16
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
This is wrong - IMO of course.

I think I would probably say he is currently consistently the best driver in F1, and certainly some of the things he achieves are just mesmeric.

However, I think on their day Alonso, Vettel, Webber and perhaps Button, Kubica and Rosberg can be a match for him - and perhaps shade him on occasion.

This does not constitute an absolute mile.

However, he has become a far more complete driver over the last two seasons - to the point where, yes, if I had to pick one driver it would be Lewis.
Balance at last -well done.

Would not look nearly as good if he had taken his front wing off on Vettel's rear instead of just puncturing Vettel's tyre.

I think he is currently the best racer at the moment and would probably shine if the FIA got rid of the aero. He has also had a dream run at the hands of the stewards this season and I think his team mate was pulled off him and he was allowed to win the race.

He is a good hard racer!
Old 22 Jul 2010, 08:08 (Ref:2730497)   #17
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Would not look nearly as good if he had taken his front wing off on Vettel's rear instead of just puncturing Vettel's tyre.
Have you any idea of the amount of skill LH displayed just doing enough to puncture that tyre without damaging his own car - if nothing else that shows how good LH is. 1cm either way would have resulted in a completely different scenario. Now that IS superhuman skill at 180mph.

On the other hand, it could just have been an accident, and LH isn't a superhuman alien intelligence from Betelgeuse IV, just playing with us mere human's - a bit like the Predator, but with more cars, and less, er, skin.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 22 Jul 2010, 12:16 (Ref:2730593)   #18
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Have you any idea of the amount of skill LH displayed just doing enough to puncture that tyre without damaging his own car - if nothing else that shows how good LH is. 1cm either way would have resulted in a completely different scenario. Now that IS superhuman skill at 180mph.
That almost sounds like it was deliberate.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 17:34 (Ref:2725006)   #19
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Yes.

He's F1's Leo Messi.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 17:44 (Ref:2725013)   #20
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By the amount Hamilton gets preferral treatments lately he will be champion at the end of season. But that isn't making him a better driver than Vettel or Webber this year
Old 11 Jul 2010, 17:52 (Ref:2725019)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy77 View Post
By the amount Hamilton gets preferral treatments lately he will be champion at the end of season. But that isn't making him a better driver than Vettel or Webber this year
Uhoh.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 23:18 (Ref:2725148)   #22
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy77 View Post

Play on.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 17:46 (Ref:2725014)   #23
Hendrik
Racer

MagnetON
Germany
Hendrik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Yes.

He's F1's Leo Messi.
He's more like Marco Materazzi.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 17:51 (Ref:2725017)   #24
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Who do you think is, MrTTraces?
Old 11 Jul 2010, 18:41 (Ref:2725042)   #25
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Who do you think is, MrTTraces?
I'd have to say Button is

Seriously I think he is, he's smooth and consistant. Today he proved it from his poor grid slot.