Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > The Driver Files

Old 22 Dec 2006, 13:13 (Ref:1797660)   #51
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dan

I'm not sure it was the same car, which is why I asked the question. Reporting on Andy's first outing in the Sana, at Croft on 10 July 1977, Motoring News (21 Jul 1977 p6) says the car had been "built in a rush from a box of bits labelled 'Sana' - the car having F2 rear suspension and F3 front". The week before this race, Motoring News (7 Jul 1977 p16) noted that Barton had "acquired an old Sana F2/Atlantic chassis for the rest of the racing season".

As Andy Jr says the car came from John Thompson, I'm wondering if this was a third Sana, which had not previously been built up.

It does leave the question of what happened to Withers car. I can't recall seeing any mention of any other Sana after 1976.

Allen
Old 22 Dec 2006, 14:22 (Ref:1797716)   #52
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed on no other sightings of the 'Blue' Sana after 76 Allen, I just assumed they must be 1 and the same car. The 1st MN report seems to imply it was the Withers car, esp given its F2/F3 suspension bits. I can't believe Eden would have bought/built 3 of them would he ??
Old 22 Dec 2006, 14:36 (Ref:1797730)   #53
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
somewhere in the dim n dark past the name Sana was mumbled by the good and late Roger Hurst Esquire
whether he had some parts or sold acar or chassis i cannot advise as i didnt get the car into the discussion more a passing comment by Roger whilst discussing other matters

dont read to much into it but i thought i should mention it in case a bell rings with you guys
Old 22 Dec 2006, 15:02 (Ref:1797739)   #54
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear
Agreed on no other sightings of the 'Blue' Sana after 76 Allen, I just assumed they must be 1 and the same car. The 1st MN report seems to imply it was the Withers car, esp given its F2/F3 suspension bits. I can't believe Eden would have bought/built 3 of them would he ??
Thompson built them so it's distinctly possible that he had the makings of a third car. What MN describe as a box of Sana bits might tie in with whatever Thompson had left.

Maybe.
Old 24 Dec 2006, 05:48 (Ref:1798606)   #55
Andy Ellis
Rookie

Andy Ellis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Hi Andy i just found this site after putting in your dads name into googgle. I used to follow your dad all over the place when i was a kid, i even had a trip to meet him at his garage in Newburn for a present on my 12th birthday,could you give him my name and see if he remembers me. I live in Nortallerton and i was on a night out in Newcastle and i bumped in to Ernie who used to work for your dad and we had a good laugh about the old racing days
Old 26 Apr 2007, 17:59 (Ref:1901093)   #56
Fris the Whizz
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wolston, Nr Coventry
Fris the Whizz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello Andy!

Hi Andy Barton Junior, I think. Tell the old man I was asking after him. He bought my F.Atlantic 73B rolling chassis, I always remember what an ace Dad you have!

I was racing at Ingliston in 1975, in my Clubmans car, and I had a punctured float in one of the carbs. I spent lap after lap chasing another car but just couldnt get past as on all the right hand bends the car was flooding and misfiring. My only real chance was a left hander before entering the Stadium, but he kept looking in his mirror and blocking me. In the end I caught him napping, and as he realised he tried to shut the door on me. Of course the inevitable happened and I basically "T" boned him. We ended up with him sideways on and me in his side. I promptly stuck my car in reverse, pulled back, and then shot off and won the race!

His helpers went absolutely mad at me, "......can't you stand to lose a race" etc, etc. I was actually quite embarrassed, I hadn't meant it to happen like that, but in my defence said something along the lines that he had seen me in his mirrors enough to block me, it's a pity he didn't see me in his mirrors when I was half past him! Anyhow it wasn't very nice, untill I found out that your old man Andy, who was in the Grandstand, had been absolutely ecstatic when I did it, leapt up cheering "Good old Frizzie" or something, I think he thought I did it on pupose and really appreciated it!

I will say this now, I really appreciated Andy's support, the spectators were on my side too, as your old man was so popular!

Happy Days, Keep well. Tell him to look at my "Driver File", see what I am up to these days, it'll give him a laugh. Jeremy Shaw (Autosport reporter of our days, lives in US of A now said, and I quote "That is a great photo! And a good example for "spot the loonie!" I can't believe you do that! "

All the best Andy,

Cheers,

Geoff Friswell.
Old 30 Apr 2007, 09:15 (Ref:1903219)   #57
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Andy (Junior?), I think the Sana HAD been used before your Dad got it in mid-1977. There were 2 built for the 76 season for Graham Eden Racing, designed by Gordon Fowell IIRC.

Cyd Williams used 1 in Indylantic that year before falling out with Eden. The drive was then taken over by Terry Perkins, brother of Larry. The 2nd car was built as an F3, and very occasionally used as such by Terry.

The 1st car remained as an Atlantic and was burnt out in the fire that engulfed Eden's workshop in early 1977. The 2nd car was sold, and built into an Atlantic, to Cal Withers Team in mid-late 76, and driven by Cyd Williams and later David Winstanley that year. Its this car, I think, which your Dad bought.

He entered it initally as a Sana, and later as the Barton, from mid-77, until mid-78 I think, when he got the ex-Ian S March 77B. The Barton then passed to David Muter, who I guess was a mate/colleague of your Dad's.

I've no idea why the cars were originally called 'Sanas', equally why the car was later designated "JTB3"???
Re. Davy Muter - isn't he the one on the far right on the team photo in the earlier post?
Old 13 Jun 2007, 13:09 (Ref:1935919)   #58
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Quote:
Mackmot, do you or your Dad know where the Ironman got a couple of those cars from. The Chevron B35 he had in early 77, but not for long I think, then the 782/79B he had from mid-79 to 1981 or so. Both are a bit of a mystery to us 'tub no crunchers' !

Also did Dave Muter buy Andy's cars from him, or borrow/hire them when Andy got a newer one.

I also remember him as a tough looking chap, very short hair for the time, a bid Squaddie-like even. I was always a bit wary of approaching him, I was only 14 or so at the time! Very goood driver though as I remember, pretty much unbeatable in Croft/Ingliston Libres, unless someone like Crawford went up there, or Dickson in a bigger car. He also went very well when he ventured south to Mallory/Donington, even Silverstone occasionally.

Stories like yours re his elbow, or the Beetle driveshaft borrowing are great, just what makes 10/10ths so brilliant. Any more like that, about Andy or anyone else ???
Just rereading this thread I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Andy's seat in the Morris Minor collapsing as he braked at the end of the long straight at Rufforth. Although it was my local circuit I wasn't there on that day but I understand the car went a very long distance with Andy scrambling around on the floor!

Another time at Croft he was having the usual furious dice with Sedric bell and another car, probably Alex Clacher's Imp and coming out of the chicane there was no room for three cars wide up the pit straight and one of them, Sedric I think, had to drive straight up the pit road at unabated speed then back on to the circuit after the pits. Highly dangerous, but amusing at the time.

I think he also raced a Mini Marcos at some stage.
Old 23 Jun 2007, 11:35 (Ref:1944856)   #59
Andy Barton
Rookie

Andy Barton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
morninggents

Hi, defiantely not Davey Muter in the team photo.
Dad did drive a Sana...dunno who it was did the pit lane thing...but do remember hearing about it...will find out for you
Ta! AB Jnr
Old 23 Jul 2007, 14:20 (Ref:1971186)   #60
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As posted elsewhere, I had a fascinating chat with Warren Booth last Friday. He remembers Andy being very quick, and one particular race at Croft. Warren was in his B42, Andy his FAt March, Warren won, though had Andy literally 'bashing' his gearbox throughout the race tryong to get past!

Warren also recalled hiring the Barton/Sana from Andy for a race. He'd sold the Scott and before he bought the B42, he was contracted to do a race by Crown, so needed a suitable car. Neither I no he could remember how he did in it.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 01:35 (Ref:2127603)   #61
roy moss
Rookie

roy moss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dear Andy/Jnr,
I have recently joined the forum on the 772 p/ 782 thread.
I believe I may have your original March 782 that was bought/built from the March works spare tub and works factory parts.
I have posted photos of the car on the 772p thread and would appreciate if you could have a look and reply as I obviously would dearly like to track the history of the car with the end result of hopefully having a legitimate chassis number(as it was a works tub).
Many thanks
Roy
Old 2 Aug 2013, 19:45 (Ref:3285122)   #62
capriman
Rookie

capriman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackmot View Post
My dad thinks Andy Barton is some kind of god. Some of the stories he tells me are mythical, like where legends come from. Most of the time I dont believe him, I'll get him to email me some.
He is a god!! He was my child hood hero!!
Old 13 Aug 2013, 23:45 (Ref:3289476)   #63
jwblackwell
Rookie

jwblackwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andy Barton Ironman of the North

Back to the future, 1981 having arrived in the UK on our way to Ireland to purchase the Nugent Autosport advertised Argo JM8 #44 Atlantic (he took a deposit on the car while we were in the air) we diverted to Argo to meet with Jo Marquart who put us on the path to the Rackham Argo JM5 #36 so South we go down past Lydden and do the deal, crate the car and call Rapid Transport to collect it up. Now on to the Ironman portion of this story. We need a BDA, there is one advertised in Autosport we call, I can't understand a word the person on the other end of the phone is saying, something about Allen Smith BDA it was the man him self talking about his hart (Hart 420) it was my impression we had to get there quick as there was a problem with his hart. Off we go to the North find Andy at the garage and the motor is in the car (March of some duravation) loved the grease and total disheveled look of the place. Purchased the BDA on the spot Andy said no problem will crate it and send it on let's go to my place and have a bite what a lovely evening his wife (I am remiss for I can not remember her name) made Yorkshire Pudding. She was on the UK international bridge team. Having meet Argo ( Jo and Nick Jordan) Dave Rackham and the Andy Barton I have the fondest memories of club racing in the UK. By the way that Argo JM5 with the Allen Smith BDA won it's first race in the US a SCCA National with James Blackwell driving. I just love this forum.
Old 7 Dec 2015, 19:26 (Ref:3596192)   #64
jagal
Rookie

jagal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr View Post
He did stop racing at Knockhill before he left Scotland because they kept on banning him coz they didnt like him hammering everyone else.

I have nothing against Ron, I like the guy!

We bought just the black "Custom Furniture" Stratos from Ron in 94' while he ran his March as an F2 car and his Footwork. We put a Tiga Sports 2000 under it,then in 01 or 02 we sold the entire package to Adrian Hamilton in Edinburgh.

He was going to turn the Tiga back into a S2000 car and sell the Stratos body onto David Smail and Eddie Beerman in Glasgow. Ron must've bought the Stratos body back off them!

Ron racing the Andy Barton AC 3000 with his March underneath quite recently in Ireland
blast from the past this but has anybody spoken to ron in the last few months?
Old 8 Dec 2015, 01:16 (Ref:3596278)   #65
Angus Theape
Rookie

Angus Theape should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post

Another time at Croft he was having the usual furious dice with Sedric bell and another car, probably Alex Clacher's Imp and coming out of the chicane there was no room for three cars wide up the pit straight and one of them, Sedric I think, had to drive straight up the pit road at unabated speed then back on to the circuit after the pits. Highly dangerous, but amusing at the time.

To correct the mini racers book. Alex Clacher was not involved, as unusually or him he had retired. Sedric slid wide coming out the chicane and Andy got alongside him and wouldn't let him back on the track. Eventually Sedric reached tarmac at the start of the pitlane, still with Andy refusing to move over. So Sedric dodged right and went through the pits, changing up on the way through and rejoined still alongside Andy. The clerk of the course took a slightly dim view of the matter and black flagged Sedric, who managed to talk his way out of the incident.

Another post asked where he got his cars from, well one mini was 2 bits of floor pan welded together. Iiirc it was the last deseamed one with the glass fibre roof.
Old 14 Dec 2016, 13:59 (Ref:3696136)   #66
JMLB
Rookie

JMLB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Attached is a very poor picture of him in 1966 at Ingliston
Attached Thumbnails
October - Barton (Mini Marcos).JPG  
Old 23 Aug 2018, 15:52 (Ref:3845582)   #67
andybartonjnr
Rookie

andybartonjnr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagal View Post
blast from the past this but has anybody spoken to ron in the last few months?
Any news on the AC...is it still racing?
Old 23 Nov 2019, 11:15 (Ref:3942310)   #68
DaveM
Racer

DaveM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was looking through an old album for photos for something else, and found this picture of Andy Barton's mini entered for David Muter to drive at Croft on 30th May 1966.
Attached Thumbnails
1966-05-30 Croft Andy Barton's 1293cc Mini Dvr Dave Muter.jpg  
Old 2 Oct 2020, 18:54 (Ref:4008074)   #69
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Just reread this thread as Andy Barton was THE Mini driver of the 1960s here up north. I would regularly see him at Croft and Rufforth usually dicing closely with Sedric Bell and Alec Clacher's Imp. The picture in post number 68 is just as I remember first seeing the car and it was white with a turquoise blue stripe down the centre and a later car had the stripe extended round the radiator opening. I'm sure that Alec Clacher's Imp was a pale yellow but for some reason I'm not certain what colour Sedric's Mini was. I think it may have been blue with a red roof but I just can't remember. Time/memory ...... it's a b*gger getting old.
Old 3 Oct 2020, 13:51 (Ref:4008264)   #70
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Just remembered that Clacher's Imp was light green/dark green but still can't remember Sedric's Mini.
Old 13 Jun 2022, 09:02 (Ref:4115306)   #71
agricola
Rookie

agricola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andy Barton

Sadly Andy Barton passed away on June 5th in Newcastle. There are tributes on his nephew Phillips page with pictures of the great man.
Old 13 Jun 2022, 12:26 (Ref:4115342)   #72
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Sad to hear this. RIP Andy (a big man in many ways).
Old 13 Jun 2022, 14:39 (Ref:4115382)   #73
Angus Theape
Rookie

Angus Theape should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Just remembered that Clacher's Imp was light green/dark green but still can't remember Sedric's Mini.
Alex's car was a sort of strange army green. Sedric's mini was blue with
a red stripe. Andy's car was what looked like off white emulsion with a blue stripe.
Old 23 Aug 2023, 22:21 (Ref:4173782)   #74
andybartonjnr
Rookie

andybartonjnr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Legends never die... so good his history is recorded here
Old 16 Sep 2023, 11:00 (Ref:4176825)   #75
Clive Cooper
Rookie

United Kingdom
Somerset, UK
Clive Cooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello Andy,
So sorry to see your Dad has passed.....

I am 80 and put the first post in my life on any site here yesterday. Ref:4176713)
It was to try to contact several people that the family of Peter Howarth suggested might be able to throw light on who Peter bought the 1953 Staride 500 F3 single seater from in the mid 1950s......your father was one of them. The others were Dave Muter, Alan Tobias and Dick Hutchinson, with Dick having worked for Peter in one of his garage businesses.
I have put more detail on my post.......may be you can help me?......Clive Cooper....Somerset.

Last edited by Clive Cooper; 16 Sep 2023 at 11:17. Reason: to add a post ref No