Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 19 Sep 2007, 07:33 (Ref:2017630)   #51
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
perhaps you should do more reseach mountainstar

i didn't 'create' Playa Del Racing

Playa Del Racing have been entering cars into the Indy 500 since 2005, they also now have an established Indy Pro Series team

One of the owners has always said they have ambitions to become a full time Indycar team, they originally set 2008 as their target but now that looks unlikley but it wouldn't suprise me in years to come if they had a car on the grid at every race

perhaps you should do some more research mate
Old 19 Sep 2007, 08:47 (Ref:2017669)   #52
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
I've lost count now of how many indycar teams you have created. At this rate there wont be enough mechanics to go around.

Milka is someone that needs to be in the HSR Boss series, if that even.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 08:49 (Ref:2017671)   #53
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Getting rid of Dario but getting Milka, hmmm three cheers for IndyCar.
Yes, also looks as though Hornish is gone from a full season anyway. I expect he'll still try to do the Indy 500 but it's a shame that him and Dario have gone and drivers like Duno who have now talent are still here. Hopefully Lloyd and Howard will progress I don't know...2 more brits to follow anyway..As dario has gone.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 09:09 (Ref:2017695)   #54
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Quote:
Getting rid of Dario but getting Milka, hmmm three cheers for IndyCar.
Well, at least Indycar can go a full season without cancelling half the races
Old 19 Sep 2007, 09:17 (Ref:2017710)   #55
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
I understand Dario actually is a loss to the series, even though I don’t like him

But new talent is coming through, Alex Lloyd and Jay Howard as mentioned and let’s not forget Jaime Camara and Wade Cunningham

Hideki Mutoh will get a full season in 08 in a decent team so that’s one fresh face who can drive

It doesn’t matter what series you are in, there will ALWAYS be drivers who are there because of their wealth or sponsor and not their talent. Ricardo Rossett, Hideki Noda, Jean Deletraz, Taki Inoue all raced in F1 and were woeful and there has been numerous terrible champ car drivers over the years and still is, Alex Figge, Kathrine Legge to name two

Milka is Milka, she’s in the series and that’s that! Get over it, I reckon that if no improvement is seen after a couple of races next season that Barnhardt will put her on probation again, and that call is up to Barnhardt I believe, not Ashley Judd

Camara is still an outside shot for the spare AGR seat when Dario confirms he is going, Tony Kanaan has been tutoring him and he appears to lined up for a seat in the future, maybe even 2008
Old 19 Sep 2007, 12:42 (Ref:2017896)   #56
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stradlin21
But new talent is coming through, Alex Lloyd and Jay Howard as mentioned and let’s not forget Jaime Camara and Wade Cunningham
Do any have rides yet?

Also one of the major concerns with AOW at the moment is the need for driver stability and recognition, nothing above fits that bracket. While its great for those drivers and people who take an interest in IPS, but the general lad in the stands or at home at going to care.

Quote:
Hideki Mutoh will get a full season in 08 in a decent team so that’s one fresh face who can drive
But another overseas face with no fan recognition.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 12:52 (Ref:2017911)   #57
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, no fan recognition in the US, but in Japan things are different, and we all know how important is support from Japan...
Old 19 Sep 2007, 13:31 (Ref:2017941)   #58
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Well, people moan that no pro series drivers get a chance, and they when they do get a chance, they still moan! You can’t win really, but I’m glad for Mutoh, he deserves a shot and of course being Japanese means that cash from Japan will be rolling in
Old 19 Sep 2007, 13:33 (Ref:2017943)   #59
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Quote:
Do any have rides yet?

Also one of the major concerns with AOW at the moment is the need for driver stability and recognition, nothing above fits that bracket. While its great for those drivers and people who take an interest in IPS, but the general lad in the stands or at home at going to care.

But another overseas face with no fan recognition.
not yet, but as I have said (a couple of times now) Lloyd is involved with Ganassi and Camara heavily involved with AGR

As has been said by more than one person, Jay Howard has some backing which has apparently found him a drive, Fernandez seems to be the destination
Old 19 Sep 2007, 14:37 (Ref:2017976)   #60
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here is a twist....

There is a rumor that Scott Sharp may be taking himself and his Patron sponsorship to the ALMS....

That would leave Rahal Letterman with a one-car team....

Would Bobby Stay in the IRL, or would he take some resources over the Newman/Haas/Lanigan to run a second car with them and bring his Ethanol sponsorship?

I have no idea if the Sharp rumor is even remotely true...but a guy on TF who usually has a good record of "rumors" ultimately becoming "fact" threw this one out there yesterday.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 19 Sep 2007, 15:10 (Ref:2018002)   #61
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
But didn’t he sign a multi year deal with Rahal which would see him move into a management role after 2008?

Sharp has always hinted that he wanted to stay in the Indycar after his driving days are over

I’m not too sure about this rumour, I know Sharp is a two time Trans-Am champion but his recent performances on non-ovals haven’t been great

I’d be very surprised if he moved to ALMS

But you are correct, if he DID move then the sponsor would go with him because it’s his and not Rahal’s
Old 20 Sep 2007, 02:34 (Ref:2018420)   #62
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
perhaps you should do more reseach mountainstar

i didn't 'create' Playa Del Racing

Playa Del Racing have been entering cars into the Indy 500 since 2005, they also now have an established Indy Pro Series team

One of the owners has always said they have ambitions to become a full time Indycar team, they originally set 2008 as their target but now that looks unlikley but it wouldn't suprise me in years to come if they had a car on the grid at every race

perhaps you should do some more research mate
well mate, playa del has been around since 2005 and hasn't really done anything other than indy despite "ambitions" to the contrary. However I have a philosophy of living your dreams so I certainly wish them well in their quest.
Old 20 Sep 2007, 02:53 (Ref:2018428)   #63
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
Here is a twist....

There is a rumor that Scott Sharp may be taking himself and his Patron sponsorship to the ALMS....

That would leave Rahal Letterman with a one-car team....

Would Bobby Stay in the IRL, or would he take some resources over the Newman/Haas/Lanigan to run a second car with them and bring his Ethanol sponsorship?

I have no idea if the Sharp rumor is even remotely true...but a guy on TF who usually has a good record of "rumors" ultimately becoming "fact" threw this one out there yesterday.
Don't know how valid the rumor is but it could be sharp wants new challenges and wants to continue driving rather than just be a owner of a car with his sponsor on it and not drive.

One thing is clear is that rahal really isn't "into" the irl anymore. He's missed a ton of irl races in the past 2 years being busy with other things. Also the big honda money is gone which was rumored to be $15 million in greenbacks and services to the team.

Gerry Forsythe is spending a lot of time building his ethanol business in Iowa and elsewhere, so it is possible that money could get tilted towards champcar or even split with the irl as well.
Old 20 Sep 2007, 06:16 (Ref:2018476)   #64
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sharp switching to Grand-AM? At his age? mmhh everything can happen, but I'd be surprised; I would understand Dario or Sam to follow new challenges, but Scott is a bit old for a new rookie role IMHO.

ABout drivers coming from IPS that's a good thing to me; of course you need some important names with fan recognition, but having also newbies is a source of interest too.

After all, which fan recognition had MS when he went to benetton? Certainly less than Nannini but...

And , ina any case, Big names are good only if really motivated: that's why I won't cry if Sam and Dario quit.
Old 20 Sep 2007, 06:17 (Ref:2018478)   #65
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
well mate, playa del has been around since 2005 and hasn't really done anything other than indy despite "ambitions" to the contrary. However I have a philosophy of living your dreams so I certainly wish them well in their quest.
Ah right, I’m sorry I thought you meant I had just made them up…
Old 20 Sep 2007, 09:56 (Ref:2018744)   #66
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I am not real sure Sharp would be going to another driving gig. He has always reminded me a lot of his father. bob Sharp was a very handy driver who just liked the car prep/development/management thing more. Just my own opinion, but when Scott is done driving in the IRL he will move into management.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 22 Sep 2007, 02:12 (Ref:2020203)   #67
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
Sharp switching to Grand-AM? At his age? mmhh everything can happen, but I'd be surprised; I would understand Dario or Sam to follow new challenges, but Scott is a bit old for a new rookie role IMHO.
Scott is not THAT old and it would be ALMS not grand am. He won several trans am championships and I'm sure as long as his brain isn't fried from all the foot flat to the floor irl drivin that he could be competitive for years to come in sportscars.
Old 22 Sep 2007, 07:08 (Ref:2020261)   #68
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would be a great boost the ALMS if it comes off.
Old 22 Sep 2007, 10:54 (Ref:2020356)   #69
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Definitely. some are doing ALMS races now or heading that way.
Old 23 Sep 2007, 09:16 (Ref:2020838)   #70
HCForums
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
HCForums should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
ABout drivers coming from IPS that's a good thing to me; of course you need some important names with fan recognition, but having also newbies is a source of interest too.
Every important name started of somewhere down the ladder. I think there was a lot of potential in the IPS this year. I think there´s about four or five drivers that do deserve to move up into the big league. At this moment there are a lot of Champ Car refugees in the IRL. Getting some new drivers from their own feeder series wouldn´t hurt the IRL and would DEFINITELY get more interest in the Pro Series.

And to also make a link to F1, look at Hamilton who did the F3 Euro, GP2, F1 thing. Fans at the track are starting to know more and more about the GP2 and the upcoming F1 drivers.

I hope IPS can run together with MotoGP at Indy next year coz I thought that was a fantastic event for these young drivers. But I fear it won´t be back.
Old 23 Sep 2007, 09:35 (Ref:2020847)   #71
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
People always feel that a championship can never be the same when the old established stars leave. Buy the new up and coming stars soon take there place and the cycle continues. Still, old race car drivers never retire, they just become commentators.