Old 1 Nov 2002, 10:26 (Ref:419206)   #1
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which game to buy?

Hello all!

I am stuck traveling on business for the next 5 months, so I won't be able to have my PS2

I have never been into PC games, but I thought that now would be the best time! I want to put a racing game on my laptop, so I can play in whatever city/country I'm in. Since I don't know anything about PC games, maybe some of you can suggest what I should get

My Computer:
-Pentium III Laptop, 1000MHz
-I think I only have 128 RAM, not sure, though

What I want:
-Preferrably a F1 game, but would certainly be OK with another type of vehicle
-Something that is farily realistic in terms of handling
-Something I won't get bored of in 1 week (this will be my only game!)
-My laptop has nothing fancy as far as graphic and sound goes...so those aren't as important to me as gameplay and a realistic physics model...

I won't be buying a wheel, because that would be hard to travel with... I will buy a control similar to the PS kind...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Old 1 Nov 2002, 11:41 (Ref:419245)   #2
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Grand Prix 3 or Grand Prix Legends.

Have fun
Old 3 Nov 2002, 10:51 (Ref:420616)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Always GPL for me, but I wouldn't fancy playing it with a gamepad.
Old 3 Nov 2002, 12:50 (Ref:420673)   #4
Markules
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Markules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans 24 Hour is pretty good - just be careful to ensure you get the most up-to-date of the two versions available (coded by a company called Melbourne House and published by Atari/Infogrames). Hours of fun to be had with that one.
Old 3 Nov 2002, 12:55 (Ref:420679)   #5
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
GPL or SCGT
Old 4 Nov 2002, 10:53 (Ref:421295)   #6
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the help, guys! Now I must go to the store and actually chosse one... decisions, decisions...
Old 4 Nov 2002, 18:11 (Ref:421605)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by shiny side up!
Thanks for the help, guys! Now I must go to the store and actually chosse one... decisions, decisions...

Bearing in mind that right now you can by SCGT for £1.99 and GPL for £4.99 in the UK, if you can get hold of them your side of the pond for similar prices, you might as well buy the both.
Old 5 Nov 2002, 22:16 (Ref:422524)   #8
GasMan
Racer

GasMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Always GPL for me, but I wouldn't fancy playing it with a gamepad.
I actually started playing GPL with a pad because at heart I was a console racer and didn't feel comfortable with the thought of siting at the desk with a wheel and pedal setup. I managed to go negative on GPLRank actually with the gamepad but succumbed to peer pressure from my fellow racers in the group I race with and got myself a wheel. Logitech Wingman Formula Force GP.

I'm just itching to get a MOMO now right enough. Anyways, the wheel feels odd at first but when you get it all sorted to your style of driving and get the car setup just right, the times fall. I finally managed to surpass my gamepad PBs and delve further into the GPLRank darkside.

But yes, GPL for pure thrills and addons. Likewise with SCGT albeit with more addons but maybe slightly less of a challenge.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 13:36 (Ref:422957)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by GasMan

But yes, GPL for pure thrills and addons. Likewise with SCGT albeit with more addons but maybe slightly less of a challenge.

Negative with a pad, that's good going, GasMan. I'm still well off -ive rank, but I'm enjoying whittling my +ive rank down, bit by bit!

Now, all we've got to do is to persuade Damon to dump his PS2, buy a decent spec pc and drive the real thing.

(Somehow I think that might not happen!).

Last edited by Aysedasi; 6 Nov 2002 at 13:36.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 15:28 (Ref:423017)   #10
GasMan
Racer

GasMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Took me the better part of two years to get where I am now in GPLRank and I've hit that plateaux and barrier where I've just got to let the speed seep in before progressing again. Besides, a good GPLRank doesn't make a good race driver. I am proof of that. :lol:

These console owners don't know what they're missing with GPL, that's for sure. I just wish my graphics card and aging processor could cope with some of the new and gorgeous cars and track graphics. Oh yeah, and a MOMO. (Hey, I can daydream )