Don't care 1 10.00%
Fantasy 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4 Mar 2003, 19:34 (Ref:524735)   #1
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GPL Add-On tracks, Real or Fantasy?

The question here is, are you, like me, tempted away from fantasy tracks, regardless of their layout, simply because you wish to not lose that element of magical realism?

Or are you not bothered either way, because you like the unlimited variety and possibilities that fantasy tracks offer?
Old 4 Mar 2003, 19:51 (Ref:524756)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't care too much for fantasy tracks. The only exception I've made recently was for the marvellous Beal Valley.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 20:02 (Ref:524773)   #3
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They've got to be real, like so many things...
Old 4 Mar 2003, 20:08 (Ref:524777)   #4
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought this would be the case, and of course there is the ghastly experience of Road67, that is the ambassador for unrealistic tracks.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 21:14 (Ref:524851)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The worst of them all, in my view. Absolutely no fun to drive at all.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 21:21 (Ref:524858)   #6
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think a fansty track can be better than the real ones, as it can be tailor made to GPL by GPL fans, it could be able to exploit all of GPL charatceristics and therefor offer a greater challange to the player, and not just be made to look like a real track. IMHO.

Still, still, it's great to drive on your favorite tracks.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 21:43 (Ref:524886)   #7
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
So you did a u-turn and decided to vote for the real tracks then, or was that last comment s'posed to mean that for all the advantages of a fantasy track, the real ones are still better.

I my view, fantasy tracks can be ok, if they're built from a real location, and have been thought through, so they don't just decide to build through a housing estate, because it's in their way.
Kinda like building Le Mans if it didn't exist (god forbid). The roads are there in real life, so that would be an acceptable fantasy track. Other forms of fantasy acceptability would be remakes, or extensions to existing tracks (like building the proposed 70's alterations to the Mulsannes Straight ie the total rebuilding of it; to see what it'd be like)
Old 4 Mar 2003, 23:15 (Ref:525020)   #8
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Real it has to be Real, I would agree with Ayse, Beale Vally is fantastic.......
Old 5 Mar 2003, 08:08 (Ref:525338)   #9
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I'll have to go get it then....
Old 5 Mar 2003, 10:49 (Ref:525467)   #10
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Real.
Old 5 Mar 2003, 14:01 (Ref:525659)   #11
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm more of a Valencia fan myself...
Old 5 Mar 2003, 17:49 (Ref:525865)   #12
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At magnust.d2g.com I always tick the "Real" box befor eI go a-searchin'.
Old 5 Mar 2003, 17:56 (Ref:525872)   #13
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Thats what i do, but i always keep my eye out for interesting, and more importantly buildable fantasy tracks, just in case, but if i really want a challenge, i go for something real.
Old 5 Mar 2003, 20:03 (Ref:525981)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Like that Pants-Ring, or whatever it's called.

I sincerely hope none of you have downloaded that!
Old 6 Mar 2003, 10:48 (Ref:526474)   #15
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oops...
Old 6 Mar 2003, 11:15 (Ref:526489)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Well you damn well deserve a bag over your head for that R!

Is thewre any truth in the rumour that the TTFL will be racing there next season.....?

Last edited by Aysedasi; 6 Mar 2003 at 11:15.
Old 6 Mar 2003, 12:58 (Ref:526560)   #17
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not really interested in anything except real circuits.

Even then i usually baulk at downloading current circuits. I've no interest in driving a 1967 car around Hungaroring or the Indianapolis Grand Prix road course.
Old 6 Mar 2003, 13:10 (Ref:526570)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
No, I'm with you there, racer. I prefer a nice dollop of realism.....
Old 6 Mar 2003, 13:37 (Ref:526588)   #19
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I wouldn't do Indianapolis...

If i do download a fantasy track, it at least has to pretend that it's real...

Then again, i can't easily go and rubbish fantasy tracks, when i'm helping build one... (at least the roads actually exist, so does the location, and part of the track has held a race before, and not to mention it's damn good fun...)

Last edited by pirenzo; 6 Mar 2003 at 13:37.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 08:03 (Ref:527464)   #20
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Well, i have sinned, and have come to repent. I downloaded...oh the shame...Philsring ...

It looked good though...

Last edited by pirenzo; 7 Mar 2003 at 08:04.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 11:24 (Ref:527621)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I think we ought to leave Phil's Ring out of this.

This is a family forum, after all.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 11:40 (Ref:527634)   #22
ASCII Man
Veteran

Pau looks great, i think i'll download that one too.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 13:35 (Ref:527737)   #23
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Pau, i can't do that track I'm currently 18s off the time on the program cover.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 13:36 (Ref:527738)   #24
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
I think we ought to leave Phil's Ring out of this.

This is a family forum, after all.

Yeah i know, what has this track got to do with it?
Old 10 Mar 2003, 15:59 (Ref:531556)   #25
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Real track are mor fun because of point of refernce and historical challenge, not to mention real lap times to go by. the great fantasy track do involve real road and this is great fun, where is the Isle of Man TT race course? fantasy track i recommend are those few 'slot car tracks' these are fun the layouts are good and entertaining-this is real fantasy though, the best are the realplae converted to race place.