Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by botsquad
r.i.p. tony
DITTO!!!

Last edited by Down F0rce; 22 Oct 2003 at 19:56.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 19:51 (Ref:759929)   #27
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 22 Oct 2003, 20:36 (Ref:759960)   #28
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Truly, truly shocking and deeply saddening . Tony was relatively inexperienced in terms of races in the IRL, but in those few races, notably the Indy 500, he proved that he had talent in abundance and made a great impact on the series, and was surely set for a great future with Ganassi.

This is always the worst part of motorsport, but that Tony paid the ultimate price for the love of his sport will make his memory endure forever. That such an incident happened to someone so young is simply cruel.
As has already been stated, the fact that the incident happened in a test session somehow makes the whole thing make even less sense.

Thoughts to Tony's family and in particular his fiancee, for whom this incident and its proximity to their wedding day is particularly ironic and saddening.

Rest in Peace
Tony Renna
1976-2003
Forever in our Hearts and Minds

So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 22 Oct 2003, 20:42 (Ref:759965)   #29
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very well said, crozier74. Indy was certainly a memorable race, but for me his debut was even more impressive - he led 35 laps. And then another four laps led in his next race, where he finished fourth. Was hardly suprsing to see him in a third Kelley car for the next race

Today is a very sad day. RIP Tony, we promise to never forget you.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 20:49 (Ref:759968)   #30
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Truly devastating...
Old 22 Oct 2003, 20:51 (Ref:759970)   #31
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Sad, but not shocking!
Old 22 Oct 2003, 21:01 (Ref:759980)   #32
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
All racing deaths are shocking, Dov.

Let's keep politics in other threads.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 22 Oct 2003, 21:10 (Ref:759988)   #33
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm always sorry to hear when someone dies suddenly and ,especially,one so young.
It doesn't matter if it's a driver or a teenager on the road or a soldier in Iraq or the innocent victim of a terrorist,etc......

It makes you realize how precious and how precarious life is and that we should live, love, and appreciate it to the fullest.

Cheers/ l'chaim/sante/prosit ,etc.......to life!
Old 22 Oct 2003, 21:14 (Ref:759991)   #34
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad. Right now I'm trembling and in shock. Without knowing the causes of the crash, and having heard that his head was struck by something, I think that it's a crash that could have happened in any formula series...
Old 22 Oct 2003, 21:25 (Ref:759999)   #35
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sad, but not shocking!
What do you mean Dov, "not shocking"?
To me it's always shocking when a driver gets killed. I've been interested in motorsport for decades, I'm a marshal for over 25 years, i've dealt with death on circuits and yes, I've always been shocked when a driver got killed. Not in the sence that I could not do my job as a (rescue)marshal, but nevertheless it shocked me every time when somebody who was competing in the sport I so much like paid the ultimate price. So what is it Dov? Got a bit cynic? If so, sad for you. Or is something else going on, looking at Paul's reaction:
Quote:
Let's keep politics in other threads.
. PLease explain!!
Old 22 Oct 2003, 21:33 (Ref:760010)   #36
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This has totally shocked me! With what happened the Brack the other week, then Al Unser Jr getting seriously injured in an ATV accident the other day, and now Tony losing his life in such tragic circumstances is truly awfull. My thoughts and prayers to Tony's family, friends and all of his supporters. You will be missed Tony.

http://www.indy500.com/news/story.php?story_id=2083
Old 22 Oct 2003, 21:57 (Ref:760039)   #37
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is shocking news, and so soon after Kenny's crash. I agree with the sentiments that it's somehow more meaningless for having happened in a test session.

My condolences to Tony's family, friends and fans.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 22:05 (Ref:760045)   #38
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Another accident in IRL... It's just shock for me!!

R.I.P Tony
Old 22 Oct 2003, 22:17 (Ref:760053)   #39
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Dutch chap
What do you mean Dov, "not shocking"?
To me it's always shocking when a driver gets killed. I've been interested in motorsport for decades, I'm a marshal for over 25 years, i've dealt with death on circuits and yes, I've always been shocked when a driver got killed. Not in the sence that I could not do my job as a (rescue)marshal, but nevertheless it shocked me every time when somebody who was competing in the sport I so much like paid the ultimate price. So what is it Dov? Got a bit cynic? If so, sad for you. Or is something else going on, looking at Paul's reaction: . PLease explain!!
I've liked MotorSports for many years to, that's why it saddens me when Tony George and IRL fans continue to turn their heads away every time there is an accident. Most people in this forum know that I'm no fan of the IRL, but I never want to see a driver get hurt or killed. Any time this subject is brought up in the IRL forum, most of them (IRL fans) gloss over the problem, make up an excuse or look the other way. It's never the right time or the right thread to discuss this matter! All I'm sayiing, if this was happening in CART, the fans would raise hell with C. Pook and OWRS.

My deepest sympathies do go out to Tony's family and friends.
R.I.P. Tony

Last edited by Dov; 22 Oct 2003 at 22:20.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 22:28 (Ref:760061)   #40
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely shocked.

Have just finished a quick article on him for the sports community on another forum, I can't believe it, particularly after Bracks miracle escape. Tony was just fantastic, particularly remember him in the third Kelley entry in 2002, absolute rookie but running right at the front, if he'd had a full season he would have been a top ten driver with ease. Shocking. RIP Tony.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 22:43 (Ref:760071)   #41
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sam Hornish has offered his sympathies -

"This is really hard," Hornish said. "We all feel bad, especially for his family. He was a great guy and a great racer. He was quiet, and I'm pretty quiet, too. When you get two quiet guys together, they don't say much. But the times I did race against him, I had fun. I was looking forward to racing with him next year."
Old 22 Oct 2003, 23:02 (Ref:760083)   #42
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I think we have to strike a balance. I have no wish to use this tragedy to beat Tony George with - and I'm no fan of Tony George - because, after all, Tony Renna accepted the risks that any racing driver HAS to accept when he stepped in to the car. Tragedy can strike at any moment, whether it be dying in a dangerous race - Henry Toivonen springs to mind - or dying in a freak accident (and I can't help thinking of Bob Wollek here). At the same time, any death must make the organisers of the series in which it occurred think 'Why did this happen?', and scratch their heads until the work out if there's a way it could have been prevented.

Myself, I do think that the IRL ought to take a long hard look at safety. I'm not saying they're culpable, but I think the issue needs to be examined with the utmost scrutiny. Tony Renna deserves that much.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 23:02 (Ref:760084)   #43
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Terrible news... Sadness for all concerned.

Please tell me that the IRL will now start to listen about the unlucky coincidences that seem to keep happening
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 22 Oct 2003, 23:10 (Ref:760093)   #44
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terrible news....whether you're a fan of the IRL or not, it's a terrible tragedy to lose a driver with a lot of promise... The accident almost sounds a bit like Kenny's but I guess two miracles just weren't in the cards. RIP Tony Renna.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 22 Oct 2003, 23:21 (Ref:760100)   #45
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It does sound very much like Bracks accident, except the car tore in the cockpit area so a second miracle was indeed, never going to happen. Sounds like an instant thing, which means the crash must have been horrific, but hopefully Tony didn't suffer.

Which is absolutely no consolation, another great young driver snatched away when on the verge of the big time, like Moore.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 00:07 (Ref:760129)   #46
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is so awful. I'm really scared for next season now as far as the safety. The IRL has been doing a good job, but these kinds of accidents are happening too frequently. My condolences go out to his friends and family. I had two chances to meet Tony and he was a really nice guy. RIP Tony, we'll never forget you!
Old 23 Oct 2003, 00:27 (Ref:760140)   #47
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
My sympathies to Tony's family and his fiance.

It is a dangerous business, but news like this always hits hard.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 01:31 (Ref:760159)   #48
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I simply cant believe this , Ive only just found out about it and I just cant believe it.

RIP Tony you were a star in the making and one that wont be forgotten to quickly.

My deepest sympathies go out to his family and friends in this their terrible time of need.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 02:06 (Ref:760172)   #49
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is a terrible thing. Deep down, I knew it was only a matter of time before something truly tragic occured to the IRL, but this—a death at Indy in a single-car testing accident—is like a slap in the face. Something needs to be done in the IRL on the grounds of safety; both in this accident and Kenny Brack's at Texas, the car ripped through the safety fence, and could have been a catastrophe if there was anyone in the grandstands there when each incident occurred. If crash debris ever enters a spectator area in that sort of degree, a dark cloud will be cast over all of racing, and that is not good for anyone.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 03:22 (Ref:760205)   #50
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
From the "Ticker":

"...entering turn 3 of his fourth test lap when it jumped sideways and went airborne. The car cleared the four-foot foam and concrete cushioning wall and crashed into the catch fence, where it was torn apart.

The racer's gearbox sailed into the grandstands. The cockpit tub, which holds the driver, became ensnared in the catch fence and was dangling with Renna in it.

The crash was so severe that the first layer of grandstands in the south chute was mangled. During races, the grandstands are set back from the fence and are occupied by handicapped patrons in their wheelchairs.

Renna was transported to Methodist Hospital, where he was pronounced dead of massive chest injuries."

And from AP:

"Ganassi said Renna did not hit anything before he lost control, went airborne, cleared the wall and crashed into the catch fence during testing, which was closed to the public and news media. The team was not sure if something broke in the car."